Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Glad your camera arrived and is as you expected Snake, sounds like you got a serious bargain there!

I can reverse snerkler's position. I have the Olympus 17mm f1.8 and it's the most used lens on my E-M10 I've never had the Panasonic 20mm.
I really like the 17mm (34mm equ) FOV and it's small and fast to focus.
I also like the manual "clutch" focus ring combined with peaking set up on Fn2 so you can see what's in or out of focus really easily.
It can catch you out if you accidentally engage the clutch while fitting the lens as it disables auto focus but the camera will still take pictures.

My Oly 17mm f1.8 replaced the pancake f2.8 which I also liked but I wanted the extra low light performance. (I say replaced but I haven't actually sold it on yet)

To muddy the water I have the Panasonic 25mm f1.7 which is a bit bigger - though we're still talking small - it's a lovely lens to use and focuses fast etc.
If you like the 25mm (50mm equ) then I would recommend it at £150ish new or less used.

I put my pics in albums according to the lenses so you can see what I've done with all 3 if you're interested

Olympus 17mm f1.8
https://flic.kr/s/aHsm2xFXw1

Olympus 17mm f2.8

https://flic.kr/s/aHsm1iKTF8
Panasonic 25mm f1.7
https://flic.kr/s/aHskZ9LToW

Last edited:
I'm really liking the 25 1.7, because of it's close focus ability it's easy to get creamy shallow DOF, I also love that it's pretty much silent when focusing too which is nice for video.

Glad your camera arrived and is as you expected Snake, sounds like you got a serious bargain there!

I can reverse snerkler's position. I have the Olympus 17mm f1.8 and it's the most used lens on my E-M10 I've never had the Panasonic 20mm.
I really like the 17mm (24mm equ) FOV and it's small and fast to focus.
I also like the manual "clutch" focus ring combined with peaking set up on Fn2 so you can see what's in or out of focus really easily.
It can catch you out if you accidentally engage the clutch while fitting the lens as it disables auto focus but the camera will still take pictures.
I'm sure you meant 34mm eq ;)

I really like the 17mm (24mm equ) FOV and it's small and fast to focus.

My Oly 17mm f1.8 replaced the pancake f2.8 which I also liked but I wanted the extra low light performance. (I say replaced but I haven't actually sold it on yet)

To muddy the water I have the Panasonic 25mm f1.7 which is a bit bigger - though we're still talking small - it's a lovely lens to use and focuses fast etc.
If you like the 25mm (50mm equ) then I would recommend it at £150ish new or less used.

I put my pics in albums according to the lenses so you can see what I've done with all 3 if you're interested

Olympus 17mm f1.8
https://flic.kr/s/aHsm2xFXw1

Olympus 17mm f2.8

https://flic.kr/s/aHsm1iKTF8
Panasonic 25mm f1.7
https://flic.kr/s/aHskZ9LToW
thanks for sharing, will have a good look later but a quick view I like very much all 3 but am tending to the 17mm 1.8 at the moment
PS.
although I had a mk1 quite a while ago it wasn't for long but the right time now for this MK2 and im loving the size and feel, think this is a keeper,

Last edited:
thanks for sharing, will have a good look later but a quick view I like very much all 3 but am tending to the 17mm 1.8 at the moment
Having a 17mm and the 25mm is the reason I never seriously considered the 20mm. I know a lot of people swear by it.
I don’t know if it’s a coincidence that the 17mm f1.8 is the most expensive?
I paid a smidge over £200 used.

camera arrived, apart from 4 very slight small rub marks on top of the hump above the Olympus logo its mint, once I took off the screen protector lcd is like new.no marks on vf either.
now panny 20mm 1.7 or Olly 17mm 1.8 .users experience please
thank you

The Olympus 17mm f/1.8 renders nicer images and focuses much faster the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 MkI. Having said that the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 MkI is very sharp and is pretty cheap used. Can't comment on the 20mm f/1.7 MkII. If you can afford it I'd go for the Olympus.

can only afford one lens at the moment.
17mm or 45mm,im guessing get the more versatile 17 mm first?

£329 best price new so far

I've always fancied having a go with a fish eye and I think the Oly might be the camera to finally take the plunge but what would people recommend to use in the EM5 MKii and do you have any examples of images?

Thanks

can only afford one lens at the moment.
17mm or 45mm,im guessing get the more versatile 17 mm first?

£329 best price new so far
The 45mm is a great lens but at 90mm equ it rarely leaves my bag. It's a great portrait lens and I sometimes use it for video at my kid's school concerts to get some reach.

I'd go used for Olympus lenses - I've not read any reports of problems with them and you should be able to knock £100 off that new price.
The 17mm was bundled with the EP5 and with the PEN-F so there should be a few around.

John Lewis agreed to meet carmathan price of 329,they asking 369 so im happy,S/H ones not a lot cheaper to be honest

I've always fancied having a go with a fish eye and I think the Oly might be the camera to finally take the plunge but what would people recommend to use in the EM5 MKii and do you have any examples of images?

Thanks

I've got the Samyang 7.5mm, all manual focus and aperture, not used it that much and still getting used to it but good in some situations.

a few images to give you an idea, but much more can be done :

The home of football:

x27BZxwhaqTQREpW1F6Tc_Vy1O-obWZ_ukahOum72bGSIWpUY7fGmA-cmx5PSkYU1OmKRI9dZnM_Brg2OJgwwqfJHMsKwAZGpGUBLRYjsz-QyeVt7XcKyxUtvdAvZCnCf6s-vv9pDpFytlklaBk3N5XVu4LZG91SB0y2WFdSlik4PMqA430dw_umbJVFNh486I7U9NyxaSbT1FFYXJx4-MdVcR9ND8DeHg6izKgl7veIvkiJ28DKDjzcQVh62Q3_auUjYlpwbJ8KahrF58nqfva_8dUnqVyzB2Y0SruRq6a4hHE0bwP5cOVev9jSaKfimz7OC-IjaEV1NWhZ4HR2VTMona-E0ptp2vt-sqkSYG-XTYO0WMkISII-dUHOte2SMXdyhat5vFp26JMB1J7qFyqLIRHJtYdF0nP6iUEVfASJ1JZDT6I9ca_W8F5cAf5uwoGP7IfheNa7QNrjHVROTBos_1Ji3k_cLTZftn7FJiBD_qbzW3MDI2QtUxFS31YHoFubP5tCwzYsqwEjhA3ll3x9OzmegIOL-HRylgUZonfFMwHun5xO30Kd3F4GrwFhv6h8fMmjlh3cldgIF1lzvpFJS5a13JhFjx8OXjCSi_QId9bYH0vwVxdinLLAQabjWOIrAmA9bjxpIjoiBoYD6Hr-pCkQPt5vmA=w960-h720-no

_aoo1Vx77P2zDtCLHcvkgwBl4Sba023rXKZl70k4c-ISrvRt4SJmh32uZSHu_RwJ_zVWt2APStPHhvEu3jpFZm-XMVnyhp7_X0un-K50WY2KdnC8sxnkba_AEkJ-GqGGJeG1i_yLos2yjeg7_GjzAZk52zzC9BTvUOvnPiIZczy8gZKWx3fxc_LYn2yBFiXwWWWTqLmjI_g1qtF2qkjV37nj2xDNx0Dc2Th3dWZoM5T8SEJQLy2_PHjxhphE6NSTLrP43BIVLc0q5F7zCnK1MvOSDRnr_pbWb4xHkfSXOLvEC7qfWgCkIoAbA-jFtUEiX8BzPzAYwKzIEuAPqjzLngR29-Yd_wIxWUkFvd5c9kjtcsqxZvH3QCYv8ZI4-D--F50OE_T9q-8c1oQU2Ln6qojUvZoeWrnRhYlj_Wax0Gr5oSSW257etSFKjE77ilL2LHKZQSVFgZe4MbGOOCIbYs6CTKeFccsO85jfZUoqt7W03t1Jlnv061mEaH3TWtzbUhT3fHcBBrftAzPygPoxd3fCMrRqGGQq2P-P1Gv8lxS8gBrO9n_Y0kxdWFuqPVbja_tDoyP2VLoFK6OFOxL7louIlDNqsuDh3--sqDgI=w1244-h933-no

H46FnvXq-O2IXqdZRq6dRoSqVCy0FwA_bFSPy85ADJEbzIPUFwIsSh3889WLd9LpbbKvbwAhp2Y5JYpEnx3v1QEtXr26M3_94bZFUsiJ3rUTLeZwqiqHclIqxQyps5_Yo73rkb7G_9vJ1hCc7FSM2-UAd_VeHDfCHTJkqItyC6h7LmLrgwlNCPsqbF53ju4yIo6r0Io1ZiNA1-hvC3Jl-F4IoEaxaiGoop5QIB8ZtjHwU9UsSCiNDBlXoQJ0tTzucbIWcY28JKPKFrjgYJHwbZn-AmKpzRBLRom1GHGl4CewDRTr7wOn1ShaVJCoYZG_OUX0s9cAAitEInIr_PvQ_IGQD47DBlqi9tgmClUkONLFbfDOsWpgBV5BcsLQTiquUiSJHDpZmGPPGdog6WlTBa0wpTO8C2bZWPLrcQu1o1U-g81P-0Vskk17Q00iUkI0ENs8XH4hyh7deEkYWp-J7mnEXc0zl1LkIRiHmW57OrLrwvdLFxmjgcZZAfINQMuCtVlPmQkhVRUCA5WdOAfeAKSZ5yG5TNE1KvGodv67_fE_pJBqQQKjlt25cgZgqV0SRR7pQkw6QZR5oMAf5Z3BFWXA-KpANMS7Pz1ZMFu0=w1244-h933-no

Lol yes i am thinking about the macro also but not for a while yet.need to learn the camera first.

How are you finding the menu system? When I got the em5 first it was set up all arseways. The previous owner had IBIS off, and even when i switched it on it wasn't showing in live view, I had to switch on 'Half Way Rls With IS' which is not at all obvious! He had the function buttons set to what seemed random options, at least they didn't make much sense to me, and stuff like eye sensor off and constant AF on etc ... was like a puzzle. Even a few months on I still wouldn't say I know where or what every setting does, but I'm a lot more comfortable with it. I would have done a full reset but tbh, these manufacturers don't make it any easier for newcomers to their systems. Like they'll have Jpegs set to medium quality, live view boost mode on etc so you end up googling half the settings either way. I like to think whoever does buy my em5, it'll be set to go for most shooters, they'll have very little to adjust.

Last edited:
thanks Keith,I have a about 3 kindle books from when I had an epl5 and em10 a while back plus I like this guy amongst others on youtube.certainly no shortage of stuff.let me know if you have any books ,if not I will pm you a couple of pdf's
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJGQg7ug_80&t=419s

He's one of the first I subbed to after getting the em5 :) He can be a bit slow, but he explains things very clearly and I like that he resets the camera every time, so you can always start from scratch and follow him through the videos.

Thanks

Samyang for sure, great lens for sub £150

FWiw there’s a seller on eBay called onebrid who sells printed versions of lots of camera manuals that only come as PDF.
I got the E-M10 one and it was well worth the fiver even though the binding put the page numbers in the fold.
Olympus pdf don’t render properly on my kobo and they’re too fiddly on my iPhone.
Just ordered the E-M10 mkii version to go with my camera jungle purchase arriving today!

I’ve seen the Samyang fish eye for around £150 used. I couldn’t justify over £200 for such an occassional use lens and the Olympus body cap one is horrifically overpriced.
There’s the lomography experimental kit but again I suspect a total waste of money. https://www.wexphotovideo.com/lomog...o-four-thirds-fit-1545373/#prodthumb-carousel

Hi all, I've just changed from the E-M5 MKII TO THE E-M1 MKII and just wanted to ask if anyone had found a good L-Bracket for the E_M1 MKII?

I use 1 on my E-M5 but had to cut a slot in the vertical part so I could fully use the monitor's swivel action, I've seen the Kirk and RRS but there super expensive I'm just after a cheap generic type.

Back