Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I believe the most informative reviews, focus included, are David Thorpe on YouTube. There are extensive reviews on the G9, EM1 ii, and EM5 ii, all include autofocus settings, performance and opinions.
[/QUOTE]

I have not found one that talks about focus fine tune

I have not found one that talks about focus fine tune[/QUOTE]

Agreed, but lots on autofocus settings.

Depends on what you want. For me the EM1/EM1-II is the best body ergonomically due to the grip and size (obviously personal preference), and feature wise it's pretty fully spec'd. However, I still don't rate it for tracking.
I haven't had any issues with tracking so far, in fact it smokes the Fuji XT-2 I had in every way on moving subjects. I've taken quite a few shots of surfers a long way out and fast cars, around 250 shots and at least 230 are keepers. One from the weekend, it still tracked well through thick smoke and haze.

EM-1 ii + 40-150 f2.8 pro + 1.4TC

Drift_Silverstone_From_RAW by ImageMaker, on Flickr

Last edited:
I haven't had any issues with tracking so far, in fact it smokes the Fuji XT-2 I had in every way on moving subjects. I've taken quite a few shots of surfers a long way out and fast cars, around 250 shots and at least 230 are keepers. One from the weekend, it still tracked well through thick smoke and haze.

Two versions here, SOOC JPG and an edited RAW. Constructive criticism welcome as i've not had to contend with this level of smoke before. I was quite a distance away.

EM-1 ii + 40-150 f2.8 pro + 1.4TC

P5060364 by ImageMaker, on Flickr

Drift_Silverstone_From_RAW by ImageMaker, on Flickr
I’ve not used the EM1-ii except a brief try at the photography show last year so can’t comment on tracking, I was referring to the EM1 (y)

I tried the live composite on the Em1ii the other week. I hadn't tried it before, so was fiddling around in the dark without a tripod, so not ideal, but it was so exciting watching the images develop. This was taken through a car windscreen as the storm came right over us.
Image cropped but otherwise a RAW straight out of camera and converted to jpeg

180421221225-BCO10010.jpg

Last edited:
how do you now rate this against the g80 mike ,especially on b.i.f

how do you now rate this against the g80 mike ,especially on b.i.f

Fortunately i have no hair left to pull out :eek:

I think it could be better than the G80 (IT SHOULD BE AT THE PRICE) been having problems i thought with C-AF but noticed today my 100-400 is having silly fits with the IS,which i use for BIF to give me a steady viewfinder image to keep the focus box in the right place, its been settling then starting to wobble again, there is no way the camera could lock focus with that happening.
So at the moment its only an educated guess but i feel it locks on better than the G80 and when i get sorted it will be great.

I’ve just taken delivery of a new E M1 ii with the free battery grip.
Needless to say there is no battery in the grip, but I don’t fancy paying £70 for a ‘genuine’ one. Xpro equivalents can be obtained for about the £15 mark, but I understand the battery meter on the camera will not recognise them.
Has anyone experience of this - is it a problem, are there any other suggestions?
Thanks.

I’ve just taken delivery of a new E M1 ii with the free battery grip.
Needless to say there is no battery in the grip, but I don’t fancy paying £70 for a ‘genuine’ one. Xpro equivalents can be obtained for about the £15 mark, but I understand the battery meter on the camera will not recognise them.
Has anyone experience of this - is it a problem, are there any other suggestions?
Thanks.

I think the Olympus charger doesn't do a very good job with expro if at all, at the moment ime just using the one battery in the grip.

Still thinking about a em1 mk1 as a spare / or 2nd body to my g80 ..sat on the edge of pushing the buy it now button .

I think the Olympus charger doesn't do a very good job with expro if at all, at the moment ime just using the one battery in the grip.

Xpro says not to charge their battery in the E M1 ii - you have to use an Xpro charger.

I had a great day yesterday at Marwell zoo with the wildlife photographer Tesni Ward and some Olympus reps, organised by Olympus and London Camera Exchange. It was great having the opportunity to ask lots of questions about the Em1ii and I've finally got back button focusing set up :banana: For some reason I had struggled with this.

Tesni's photos are just amazing and she was a good tutor - truly inspiring!

40-150 f/2.8 + 1.4TC , I actually think it's better than my old Fuji 40-150 f/2.8

I am finding i'm processing more RAW files though with the Oly, Fuji sooc JPG's cannot be bettered in my opinion.

Been a weird journey, been very tempted to go back to Fuji as i've just not been using the Oly, bit of a mental block as I loved my XT-2 and been seriously considering going back but i've forced myself out and about for a couple of days and i'm getting more comfortable with the results. I think I need to up my game rather than relying on the equipment, the Em-1 ii is so comfortable, the lenses are so light so i've had a serious word with myself, #MustTryHarder

Deb_Runnymede by ImageMaker, on Flickr

I use an Expro battery as a spare for my G80, it charges just fine in the G80 charger and lasts as long as the official Panasonic batt., do they not charge in the Oly official charger?

I use an Expro battery as a spare for my G80, it charges just fine in the G80 charger and lasts as long as the official Panasonic batt., do they not charge in the Oly official charger?

The Ex-pro website says you should not use the Oly charger - could be something to do with the coding of the battery, or perhaps they want you to buy their charger?

The Ex-pro website says you should not use the Oly charger - could be something to do with the coding of the battery, or perhaps they want you to buy their charger?
I can tell you that the Expro doesnt charge in the Olympus charger. I know because when I bought my pair of expros and charger, I decided to only bring the Oly charger to Spain last time I came over. I wasnt best pleased when the Expro batteries didnt charge!

That's really odd, only case of this I've heard to date. I used Expro for Fuji and now for Panasonic using the default chargers for both. I had the Em5 and had 3 third party batteries along with an original and all 4 worked in the em5/Oly charger [don't think any of them were Expro] so it's only a recent issue?

Back