Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Anyone here got the 14-150 oly lens, and if so, what do you think of it as a holiday/walkabout lens ?

I tried 2 copies and I wasn't very impressed I know it's a lot to ask from any superzoom even these days.
So I tried out the LUMIX 14-140mm and it's a far superior lens imo.

I tried 2 copies and I wasn't very impressed I know it's a lot to ask from any superzoom even these days.
So I tried out the LUMIX 14-140mm and it's a far superior lens imo.
Thanks, but I so hope you had 2 bad copies as I picked up one yesterday..!
It a holiday lens really, so ultimate quality doesn't really matter.

Thanks, but I so hope you had 2 bad copies as I picked up one yesterday..!
It a holiday lens really, so ultimate quality doesn't really matter.

I just hope you’ve have a good one as well I would have much sooner of had The Olympus zoom but two bad copies didn’t instil much confidence hence I tried out the LUMIX 14-140mm which appears to to meet my needs when not shooting primes.

As yet unedited because I've only just got back from a warm day out at Duxford and can't be bothered to turn the computer on.

OI000131.jpg

EDIT: Got cooled down enough to fancy a processing dabble, so this is the processed version of the above photo...
1816.jpg
... along with a few other ones too:
1745.jpg
1851.jpg
1950.jpg

All were taken with the Panasonic 100-300; didn't much like using it at first, in fact I was already drafting the for sale thread, but with a bit of practice the tracking got better and so did the photos. Looking forward to giving it another go at RIAT.

Last edited:
As yet unedited because I've only just got back from a warm day out at Duxford and can't be bothered to turn the computer on.

View attachment 127256

EDIT: Got cooled down enough to fancy a processing dabble, so this is the processed version of the above photo...
View attachment 127335
... along with a few other ones too:
View attachment 127339
View attachment 127340
View attachment 127341

All were taken with the Panasonic 100-300; didn't much like using it at first, in fact I was already drafting the for sale thread, but with a bit of practice the tracking got better and so did the photos. Looking forward to giving it another go at RIAT.
Very nice set I have also picked up the LUMIX Panasonic 100-300mm for my OMD bodies but apart from a couple of test shots at home I have yet to use it. If they turn out half a good as these Iwill be more than happy :):banana:

Hi everyone

Just looking for some advice please - I am literally about to press the buy button on a 40-150 m zuiko lens for my EM5 mk ii ( I already have the 12-40 pro) but need a telephoto zoom for landscape detail...
But I know that some people rate the Panasonic telephoto lenses in a similar price range....does anyone have any recommendations?

I am still very much a beginner so don't want to buy loads of different lenses or spend a fortune but don't want to miss out on those further distance shots....
SRS Microsystems are selling an M Zuiko 40-150mm brand new on ebay which seems like a good deal to me?

Thanks in advance
KR
Charlotte

It's a steal new for 99. It's light enough you'll barely notice it extra in the bag, and it's a lot sharper than you might expect for a kit lens. I only sold mine to get something longer (100-300)

It's a steal new for 99. It's light enough you'll barely notice it extra in the bag, and it's a lot sharper than you might expect for a kit lens. I only sold mine to get something longer (100-300)

Thanks very much for confirming - yes this is what I thought and comes with manufacturer's guarantee so think i might just crack on....is the 100-300 the panasonic? i have read that this is very good too ...

The 40-150mm f4-5.6 R is a steal for £99 new. The lens itself feels like a cheap toy tbh, but the IQ you get from it is very good, especially considering the price. I have one to take away on holiday etc with me as you can stick it in your pocket and forget about it as it's so light. Having a lens with an 80-300mm equivalent FOV that you don't even notice you have on you is one of the great things about the M4/3 system.

The 100-300mm is the Panasonic, but it's a noticeably heavier and more expensive lens. Of course, you'd expect that being as it's giving you 200-600mm FOV. I had both he Panasonic 100-300mm and the Olympus 75-300mm and found the Panasonic to be better in terms of sharpness and the extra light gathering. The downside is that it's slightly larger and heavier than the Olympus 75-300mm. Neither have very good AF at the long end though, they hunt quite a lot in anything other than really good light.

Thanks Toby - AF does this mean Autofocus? Ok great.... I am going to buy the 40-150mm and then save the pennies for the 100-300mm for a later date IF and when I feel I need it :)
Need to do A LOT more practising first before I can justify more kit :D

Yeah, the Panasonic 100-300, I just bought the older mk1 version used. The newer MKII will have better AF and it's weather sealed, but optically they are the same afaik. It's fast enough for what I would be shooting, more slow moving subjects like perched birds rather than those in flight, or the moon, or slower wildlife down by the river, that kind of thing. Others have had good enough success using it for birds in flight also though. It's a lens you will need to practice a little with at first if you are not used to very long focal lengths [600mm on full frame, 400mm APSC]

The 40-150 is plenty good enough for garden birds, outdoor portraits and general outdoor shooting, when you feel it isn't long enough anymore, that's the time to upgrade ;)

Thanks Toby - AF does this mean Autofocus? Ok great.... I am going to buy the 40-150mm and then save the pennies for the 100-300mm for a later date IF and when I feel I need it :)
Need to do A LOT more practising first before I can justify more kit :D
Yes AF means autofocus ;)

Here's a couple of shots I took with the 40-150mm. I don't think they're too bad for a lens that cost me £85 (used)

I would hazard a guess that this lizard was no more than 6" in total length

P6302462-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

P2260855
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Hello, I'm now officially a member of the Olly OM-D club, bought myself a EM1 Mk2 + 12-40 f2.8 + 40-150 f2.8 as a bundle deal and traded in some Nikon gear to offset the cost, and to say I'm blown away by this camera is an understatement. Can't say I've taken any killer images so far (2 weeks in) but it's an absolute joy to use and I'm delighted with the results.

I like various motorsports, but have a step-son and some friends who compete in Oval Track formulas :-

Yes, the numpty who managed to get himself in the refection is me!

And I'm blown away by the IQ, no idea how this compares to FF but it's every bit as good as I could've hoped for, and way better than I'll ever need :-

Here's a Tiger :-

And at 100% crop :-

Loving this camera so much, but so much to learn, so many things that can be set / customised!

I tried to get some badger photos last night at gone 9pm with the Em1ii and 300 F/4 . We saw some in the bushes, but only this cat in the open.. ISO 6400 SOOC, but raised 2.5 stops in Lightroom. and one cropped to show quality (or lack of :) )
180530211131-BC301340.jpg180530211131-BC301341.jpg

I tried to get some badger photos last night at gone 9pm with the Em1ii and 300 F/4 . We saw some in the bushes, but only this cat in the open.. ISO 6400 SOOC, but raised 2.5 stops in Lightroom. and one cropped to show quality (or lack of :) )
View attachment 127575View attachment 127576

If it was a rare species you'd be happy with it :) shows the animal clearly at least - noisey as hell obviously, but usable say if you wanted to send it to a newspaper. I never take my M43 above 1600 tbh

View attachment 127575View attachment 127576

Hardly surprising, it is a dark scene and you've under-exposed by 2.5 stops - virtually no light will have been hitting the sensor.

If it was a rare species you'd be happy with it :) shows the animal clearly at least - noisey as hell obviously, but usable say if you wanted to send it to a newspaper. I never take my M43 above 1600 tbh
Hardly surprising, it is a dark scene and you've under-exposed by 2.5 stops - virtually no light will have been hitting the sensor.
It was really quite dark, so I wasn't expecting to get a good photo. It was a reccy to see if I could position myself anywhere for a decent shot.

I was amazed I got anything to be honest and had to look through the viewfinder to see if this was a cat or a fox - although my long distance vision is not so great these days.

Likewise I try and keep my ISO low.

Those shots look perfectly acceptable at ISO 6400 @mikew - amazing timing too :)

I dont care about noise, MK11 @ 6400

P5100086 by electric.mike, on Flickr

P5100100 by electric.mike, on Flickr

These are better exposed images, that's why the noise was a bit kinder to you. But, you didn't need to go that high and could have gotten better feather detail, noise tends to ruin it on birds. You shot at 1/3200 sec, that's more than I'd need for BIF! For perched birds or ground feeding you can get away with 1/400th easily, then your ISO would have only been 800

These are better exposed images, that's why the noise was a bit kinder to you. But, you didn't need to go that high and could have gotten better feather detail, noise tends to ruin it on birds. You shot at 1/3200 sec, that's more than I'd need for BIF! For perched birds or ground feeding you can get away with 1/400th easily, then your ISO would have only been 800

Thanks i do understand that but what happens is if ime set up for something else and see another shot i will take the first at what ever settings i have on the camera, if the subject hangs around i will sdjust settings, if i was at 1/3200th i was most likely after Swallows or something fast.

My days of hand holding a FOV of 800mm at 1/400th are long gone most of the time its an age thing, thats why i dont worry about noise, my judgement of noise is on a correctly exposed image not one that needs pulling back over two stops.

Last edited:
Thanks i do understand that but what happens is if ime set up for something else and see another shot i will take the first at what ever settings i have on the camera, if the subject hangs around i will sdjust settings, if i was at 1/3200th i was most likely after Swallows or something fast.

My days of hand holding a FOV of 800mm at 1/400th are long gone most of the time its an age thing, thats why i dont worry about noise, my judgement of noise is on a correctly exposed image not one that needs pulling back over two stops.
Completely agree - you can get caught out suddenly going for a different sort of shot - especially if you were looking for birds in flight.

I would never normally pull it back like that in Lightroom either - it was so dark that there was no choice and it was an experiment. Even I could have slowed my shutter more, but I was hoping for badgers :)

Just back from The Lakes and gave my EM5MK2 a proper try out.

I like! It's not full frame quality but it's good enough for me.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/KBYejh]Aira Force by Terence Rees, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2516T6w]Ashness Bridge by Terence Rees, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/26E2jzq]Ashness BridgeWaterfall by Terence Rees, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/26E2j9L]Paddleboard 1 by Terence Rees, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/26E2iRG]Paddleboard 2 by Terence Rees, on Flickr[/URL]

I just got an Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 75–300mm 1:4.8–6.7 II. Plonked it on my camera and went to photo some ducks etc at a local park. Using single shot I got some good shots when they were sitting still and moving slowly (those furry ducks are twitchy little buggers! (squirrels)). Hand held using the autofocus and AP.

So I got a few good shots, none that I would post here and went back to do some research on photographing birds.

I found this on youtube
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58G-ttOw6PM
and at a certain point it hit me.

I'M STILL SHOOTING FILM!!!:eek:

"ISO you idiot, you don't have to go back to a shop and buy a new film to change the ISO!"

Going to take it out over the weekend and get to know it better.

@Pete B

I took the paddle board shots with the 75-300 Oly lens and used within it's parameters it's a bloody good bit of glass for the money.

These were shot at 400 ISO.

I was rather surprised with the quality for £200.

Last edited:
75-300 is a gem. Focuses slowly, needs care to be sharp, but at the price? It’s a no brainer.

I just got an Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 75–300mm 1:4.8–6.7 II. Plonked it on my camera and went to photo some ducks etc at a local park. Using single shot I got some good shots when they were sitting still and moving slowly (those furry ducks are twitchy little buggers! (squirrels)). Hand held using the autofocus and AP.

So I got a few good shots, none that I would post here and went back to do some research on photographing birds.

I found this on youtube
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58G-ttOw6PM
and at a certain point it hit me.

I'M STILL SHOOTING FILM!!!:eek:

"ISO you idiot, you don't have to go back to a shop and buy a new film to change the ISO!"

Going to take it out over the weekend and get to know it better.
Are you talking about with a Pen F, @Pete B ? I have ordered one :eek: I wasn't planning on using it for wildlife though.

First day with my new 300mm f4 and the E M1 ll. A bit hit and miss so far, I hope things will come right! Both are with the 1.4 T/C and are large crops.
I've done a minimum amount of testing, but it looks as if there is a small amount of degradation in quality with the converter.

Whitethroat1 by Malcolm Fisher, on Flickr

Whitethroat2 by Malcolm Fisher, on Flickr

Last edited:
Just back from The Lakes and gave my EM5MK2 a proper try out.

I like! It's not full frame quality but it's good enough for me.

Aira Force by Terence Rees, on Flickr

Ashness Bridge by Terence Rees, on Flickr

Ashness BridgeWaterfall by Terence Rees, on Flickr

Paddleboard 1 by Terence Rees, on Flickr

Paddleboard 2 by Terence Rees, on Flickr

I find you enjoy photography a hell of a lot more once you get over comparing formats. What would FF have done better here? Great shots btw, just think you need to stop stressing over how your camera compares to others

Back