Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

When i am travelling light, the 14mm f2.5 is never off my camera, it's a lovely little lens.

And the Olympus 40-150 is a really good choice, a bit plasticky but very light, cheap and is also always with me.

Last edited:
The P12-32 is a great little lens -there's usually black ones around for £100-ish ( i bought one as i prefer black lenses with a black body ). I also have the P20 - it can be slow to focus in low light but its incredibly sharp and small. Love it

my ride to work
by damianmkv, on Flickr

P12-32 made explore yesterday

the river wey
by damianmkv, on Flickr

When i am travelling light, the 14mm f2.5 is never off my camera, it's a lovely little lens.

And the Olympus 40-150 is a really good choice, a bit plasticky but very light, cheap and is also always with me.

Cheers. I think this is the likely combination I'll opt for.

The P12-32 is a great little lens -there's usually black ones around for £100-ish ( i bought one as i prefer black lenses with a black body ). I also have the P20 - it can be slow to focus in low light but its incredibly sharp and small. Love it

my ride to work
by damianmkv, on Flickr

P12-32 made explore yesterday

the river wey
by damianmkv, on Flickr

Thanks Damian. Congratulations on the explore. Well deserved. I do like the 12-32. It would do the trick. I'll see if one pops up at the right sort of price though most I've seen have been a little more than that. Otherwise, I'll likely opt for a 14mm which is a lens I've had and enjoyed in the past.

ETA, I had thought about the 20mm but I think it might fall in no-mans land between not wide enough and not long enough. Might have made a nice only lens option though. In all honesty I'm questioning whether 17mm would be wide enough too. 14mm seems more sensible.

Last edited:
You’re on the right line, the 14mm is a very nice lens and the 40-150 is also very good.

Personally I’d go with an EM10 over the first EM5.

You’re on the right line, the 14mm is a very nice lens and the 40-150 is also very good.

Personally I’d go with an EM10 over the first EM5.

Yeah, bit of a dilemma that one. E-M10 probably ticks more boxes (wifi etc) though I do like the 5 axis ibis of the E-m5.

Currently in the E-M5's favour is that I have the option to buy one from my pal that I know works and has been looked after and is priced well enough. E-M10 would need to be bought from a random.

I can’t fault my e.m 10 mkii it handles everything I throw at it ,even playing with manual focus lenses the pics are nice and sharp with good colours

OK, haven't sold the Fuji yet but camera jungle had an EM5 MKII For £419 and I couldn't resist. Its a silver one, which I prefer, and has less than 2000 shutter actuations. Just need a lens now, but that'll have to wait until the fuji sells.

This seems a good place to ask:

Long story short. Been shooting with Fuji the last year or so. It's been both my main camera and travel camera. But I'm going back to a DSLR for serious stuff and I'm likely to pick up either an E-M5 mk1 or an E-m10 mk1 as a travel, days out kind of camera. I've had an E-M5 and an E-M5ii in the past and a few different lenses but I'm really trying to keep this all quite budget and portable so this time around I'm looking for smaller, cheaper lenses. I basically want something short ish and something longish. Sorry I'm not more specific but that's about the size of it!

I'm currently borrowing an E-M5 with a panasonic 12-32 Lens. It's quite nice though it bugs the hell out of me that the lens is silver and the camera is black! But the lens performs well enough and I have the option to buy it for about £90. The other options I was considering here were the Panasonic 14mm 2.5 and the Olympus 17mm 2.8. My gut feeling is that I'd be happiest overall with the 14mm.

Longer lens is likely to be a 40-150r. I assume this is a still a decent budget choice? I've flirted with the idea of just getting a 45mm 1.8 instead but I suspect it would be a bit too restrictive.

Any pearls of wisdom or am I already on the right lines?

The 12-32 turns up on MPB often for in around the £110 mark. If the silver bothers you, don't buy it, it'll drive you mad - MPB have a bunch of them atm between £109 and £119: https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equi...ix-g-vario-12-32mm-f-3-5-5-6-asph/sku-748140/

They also have the 14mm 2.5 going for £134: https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equi...nses/panasonic-lumix-g-14mm-f-2-5/sku-752003/

The 12-32 turns up on MPB often for in around the £110 mark. If the silver bothers you, don't buy it, it'll drive you mad - MPB have a bunch of them atm between £109 and £119: https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equi...ix-g-vario-12-32mm-f-3-5-5-6-asph/sku-748140/

They also have the 14mm 2.5 going for £134: https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equi...nses/panasonic-lumix-g-14mm-f-2-5/sku-752003/

Cheers Cagey. I'm being a skinflint and trying to find them super cheap but if that fails, MPB look a good bet.

I've just bought a mint 12-32 from LCE - they quite regularly put them up for £99.

Just missed out on a 45mm f1.8 for £110 too - was thinking abut whether I would use that focal length when I have just bought the 35-100 f4...

Last edited:
Cheers Cagey. I'm being a skinflint and trying to find them super cheap but if that fails, MPB look a good bet.
FWIW if you're really looking to be cost effective the Olympus 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 II-R lens is decent and very, very cheap.
Mine came bundled with my E-PL5 and to my eye it compares to the 14-42mm EZ pancake.
Downsides - it's a bit larger and you have to unlock it.
Upsides - it's a manual zoom which some prefer.

Not sure what the differences between my II R and this ED but worth researching.
https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equi...s-m-zuiko-ed-14-42mm-f-3-5-5-6-ed/sku-751052/

Again if you're not over bothered about size the Olympus 12-50 that came bundled with the E-M5 is worth a look.
Has a macro switch IIRC.
http://www.camerajungle.co.uk/camera-lenses?85-lens-fitting=micro-four-thirds

I used the Olympus 17mm f2.8 for a while, I liked the focal length so much I upgraded to the f1.8 version
I should probably sell it on as it's not left the house in a couple of years!
https://flic.kr/s/aHsm1iKTF8

Last edited:
OK Fujis sold on eBay, so now on the lookout for a nice used 12-40mm 2.8 :D

Depending on how much you have to spend it may be worth getting new grey from HDEW.

https://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/olympus-mzuiko-digital-ed-12-40mm-f28-pro-2164-p.asp
Yeah, I've seen the price on HDEW, they're about the same, even less sometimes, than a 2nd hand one from the likes of MPB or WEX. It was the same with the EM5 MKII for another £50 I could have bought a new one. I've no problem with those who want to buy from a grey importer, none at all, but I personally prefer to buy from a uk based company. Thats not a judgment call on anyone who uses them, its just my personal preference.

There's one on e-group for £365
Thanks for that, its a good price. Will have to register and maybe look to buy. Do they have a feedback system on there, like TP?

FWIW if you're really looking to be cost effective the Olympus 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 II-R lens is decent and very, very cheap.
Mine came bundled with my E-PL5 and to my eye it compares to the 14-42mm EZ pancake.
Downsides - it's a bit larger and you have to unlock it.
Upsides - it's a manual zoom which some prefer.

Not sure what the differences between my II R and this ED but worth researching.
https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equi...s-m-zuiko-ed-14-42mm-f-3-5-5-6-ed/sku-751052/

Again if you're not over bothered about size the Olympus 12-50 that came bundled with the E-M5 is worth a look.
Has a macro switch IIRC.
http://www.camerajungle.co.uk/camera-lenses?85-lens-fitting=micro-four-thirds

I used the Olympus 17mm f2.8 for a while, I liked the focal length so much I upgraded to the f1.8 version
I should probably sell it on as it's not left the house in a couple of years!
https://flic.kr/s/aHsm1iKTF8

Cheers. The regular 14-42 and the 12-50 are just a bigger than I want. Looking for something that's overall slim enough to slip into a bag as easily as possible.

If your 17mm 2.8 is black and you fancy retrieving it for the back of the cupboard to sell to a loving new home, give me a nudge!

Not as such. On there, you make an offer via PM and discuss things via that method. I've never heard of any "funny business" so to speak...

OK, Ive signed up, it seems an interesting forum anyway so even if I don't buy the lens, I think I'll enjoy reading some of the threads

I seem to remember the last time I had a 12-40 on my em5 mkii it was a little large. Thinking about getting a grip 3rd party probably. Anyone any recommendations for a grip for the em5 mkii?

Last edited:
Well the EZ is smaller than the 17mm 2.8

Quick couple of question I might have asked before
Any one still using an em1.1 ? Is the Em5.2 significantly better and is the em1.2 significantly better than all of them ? Also how does the pen f stand up ?
Lol just looking to spruce up my kit in the next few months
I currantly have a em1.1 and a Em5.1
And grips and flashes etc
Love the em1
Don’t love the Em5 much but use it .

My walk about camera is an OMD EM10 Mk1 which is fitted with the 14-42mm EZ lens and the Olympus grip. It's my favourite camera, a pleasure to use and makes much more sense for casual use than my EM1 Mk1 or GH3. I also have a Pen EPL-6 which is fitted with the Panasonic 12-32mm lens, I use this when touring on my motorbike where any camera is subject to a lot of vibration on the bike, I don't need to feel too precious about this camera suffering any damage. I also have the other lenses you mention and these are my thoughts:

The Panasonic 12-32mm lens I find to be really good for such a compact and lightweight lens, which is usefully wider than the typical 14-42mm kit lenses. At £90 it is worthy of serious consideration.
The Olympus 40-150mm lens is also a very good lens for the cost, considered by many to punch well above above it's weight for image quality and normally available secondhand at a very reasonable cost.
The Panasonic 14mm lens I am not so thrilled with, in my humble opinion it doesn't offer any significant advantage to the 12-32mm lens zoomed to 14mm, a fraction more light captured but quite slow to focus.
The Olympus 45mm is a very nice lens indeed, ideal for portraits, but otherwise of limited use with that specific focal length.
The OMD EM10 Mk1 or the Mk2 are both excellent cameras for around the £200 to £300 price range secondhand and sometimes new, but the cameras come with the usual caveats relating to the contrast detect autofocus which does not match phase detect cameras. The scope for video is limited by the autofocus. I maintain that the image quality from the Pen, EM10 and EM1 are essentially the same, the higher end models have more features and such as better image stabilisation which might permit shooting to continue as the lesser models become more challenged by the available light.

Last edited:
Has anyone fitted a grip of some description to the M5II?

I am toying with the idea of a reallyrigthstuff.com plate and grip for better handling and quick clip on/off to a tripod which seems really appealing.

Or alternatively, the HLD6 battery grip from Olympus giving me the extra grip and when I want it, an additional battery loaded in.

Hmmmmmm

Quick couple of question I might have asked before
Any one still using an em1.1 ? Is the Em5.2 significantly better and is the em1.2 significantly better than all of them ? Also how does the pen f stand up ?
Lol just looking to spruce up my kit in the next few months
I currantly have a em1.1 and a Em5.1
And grips and flashes etc
Love the em1
Don’t love the Em5 much but use it .

The EM1 is better than the EM5ii in all ways except for long exposure noise and the quality of the knobs.

Edit, the EM1ii is better all ‘round, the AF is significantly better and there are a lot of other minor improvements that add up to a much better camera. That said, it is a bit bigger and moving away from what, for me, is one of m43s main selling points, I prefer the size on the EM1i.

I’ve not used a PEN F but essentially it is an EM5ii with a 20mp sensor in a rangefinder style body and a funny knob on the front that controls what jpg setting, and minus the weather sealing. I went with the EM5ii and wouldn’t swap.

Last edited:
My walk about camera is an OMD EM10 Mk1 which is fitted with the 14-42mm EZ lens and the Olympus grip. It's my favourite camera, a pleasure to use and makes much more sense for casual use than my EM1 Mk1 or GH3. I also have a Pen EPL-6 which is fitted with the Panasonic 12-32mm lens, I use this when touring on my motorbike where any camera is subject to a lot of vibration on the bike, I don't need to feel too precious about this camera suffering any damage. I also have the other lenses you mention and these are my thoughts:

The Panasonic 12-32mm lens I find to be really good for such a compact and lightweight lens, which is usefully wider than the typical 14-42mm kit lenses. At £90 it is worthy of serious consideration.
The Olympus 40-150mm lens is also a very good lens for the cost, considered by many to punch well above above it's weight for image quality and normally available secondhand at a very reasonable cost.
The Panasonic 14mm lens I am not so thrilled with, in my humble opinion it doesn't offer any significant advantage to the 12-32mm lens zoomed to 14mm, a fraction more light captured but quite slow to focus.
The Olympus 45mm is a very nice lens indeed, ideal for portraits, but otherwise of limited use with that specific focal length.
The OMD EM10 Mk1 or the Mk2 are both excellent cameras for around the £200 to £300 price range secondhand and sometimes new, but the cameras come with the usual caveats relating to the contrast detect autofocus which does not match phase detect cameras. The scope for video is limited by the autofocus. I maintain that the image quality from the Pen, EM10 and EM1 are essentially the same, the higher end models have more features and such as better image stabilisation which might permit shooting to continue as the lesser models become more challenged by the available light.

Thanks. All still options. I did have a 14mm and 45mm for a little while. I liked that the 14mm is still small even in use but hard to deny the 12-32 might be a better all rounder. Haven't made a decision yet.

I’ve not used a PEN F but essentially it is an EM5ii with a 20mp sensor in a rangefinder style body and a funny knob on the front that controls what jpg setting, and minus the weather sealing. I went with the EM5ii and wouldn’t swap.
Smaller EVF too, which is the main reason I didn't consider it.

Smaller EVF too, which is the main reason I didn't consider it.

Only really the Pen F that appeals to me from the Olympus m4/3 range, find the rangefinder style so much more comfortable to use.
Currently using a Panasonic GX80 and if I ever got a new m4/3 camera it would be the Pen F, wonder if there will ever be a MkII?

Only really the Pen F that appeals to me from the Olympus m4/3 range, find the rangefinder style so much more comfortable to use.
Currently using a Panasonic GX80 and if I ever got a new m4/3 camera it would be the Pen F, wonder if there will ever be a MkII?
I prefer the Rangefinder style too which is why I loved the XE range, which is why I was initially drawn to the PenF. But, I need a better viewfinder than the PenF provides.

I prefer the Rangefinder style too which is why I loved the XE range, which is why I was initially drawn to the PenF. But, I need a better viewfinder than the PenF provides.

What didn't you like about the XE range? Favourite camera is my X-Pro2, also have a X-E2

Just trying out the m4/3 gear, if I stay it will more than likely be with the Pen F
If Fuji brought out a smaller stabilised camera than the X-H1 it would be game over

EM5 MKII just arrived, opened the box, it looks immaculate, open the battery cover to insert the battery and the battery lever snaps in two. :mad:

Back