Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Update regarding the problem with my VF. Olympus have already responded to my email from last night. Confirmed that the problem occurs when sunlight directly enters the viewfinder and the diopter setting is in a + position. Asked me to send it in for repair, if its inside the 2 year warranty it will be free of charge if not they will repair for a fee. Seems a serious flaw in their system, if light directly entering the viewfinder can cause this problem. Does anyone know if the guarantee on Olympus bodies is transferable?

So far Camera Jungle have not replied to my email.
I wouldn't take the risk and send it back. Seems a bad flaw that, not being able to use your camera in the sun without risk of it being damaged :eek: Did you ask Olympus why this occurs and how the hell you're supposed to avoid it?

Last edited:
I wouldn't take the risk and send it back. Seems a bad flaw that, not being able to use your camera in the sun without risk of it being damaged :eek: Did you ask Olympus why this occurs and how the hell you're supposed to avoid it?
This is all they've said.

Screenshot 2018-08-17 at 12.45.23.png

I've sent them the serial number to try and determine the age of the camera and whether or not it is in guarantee. So far I've not had another response.

I wouldn't take the risk and send it back.
That does seem to be my best option, I'm still just within the 14day return period, but I'm not entirely sure where I stand legally. The camera is damaged , it didn't have this fault when I bought it. Still waiting to hear back from camera jungle.

Last edited:
This is all they've said.

View attachment 132523

I've sent them the serial number to try and determine the age of the camera and whether or not it is in guarantee. So far I've not had another response.
If it were me I'd ask them why their cameras are prone to such a bad flaw ;)

That does seem to be my best option, I'm still just within the 14day return period, but `I'm not entirely sure where I stand legally. The camera is damaged , it didn't have this fault when I bought it. Still waiting to hear back from camera jungle.
Well could it be that you've only just noticed it? Also, I'd argue that it's not fit for purpose if you can't use it in the sun.

Alert the sender before 14 day return period and I would think you're covered.

It's distance selling rules after all.

Forget Olympus, just raise a return.

Simples

On a different note I'm awaiting my M43 to Pentax K adaptor to be delivered today so I can have a play with about 5 PK MF lenses I have at home.

The most interesting will be my mint Vivitar Series 1 75 - 210 zoom with 2x matched multiplier.

That will give me a 300 - 840mm EFL.

I bet it's rubbish compared to modern glass but for £23.99 for the adaptor it's worth a play.

I had the vivitar 70-210 series 1 f/3.5, fun lens. I used it in my old D90. It does some pretty decent macro, not like 1:1 but something like 1:3 if I remember

Be interesting as I have a Super Paragon 28mm f2.8 with mint glass, a couple of Sigma 70-200's (or thereabouts) and a cheapy Cosina 37-70 (I think).

Actually I think the missus has a Chinon CE5 in the loft so I may be able to nab the 50mm from it for a portrait test (if the dog sits still)

Tomorrow's looking better (missus is out at a bee keeping thing in the morning and Birmingham in the afternoon so I'll get some time if I don't go fishing)

If it were me I'd ask them why their cameras are prone to such a bad flaw ;)
Apparently it might be due to the larger viewfinders. Ive had a couple of XT1 and an XT2 which have big viewfinders but I never had this problem

Be interesting as I have a Super Paragon 28mm f2.8 with mint glass, a couple of Sigma 70-200's (or thereabouts) and a cheapy Cosina 37-70 (I think).

Actually I think the missus has a Chinon CE5 in the loft so I may be able to nab the 50mm from it for a portrait test (if the dog sits still)

Tomorrow's looking better (missus is out at a bee keeping thing in the morning and Birmingham in the afternoon so I'll get some time if I don't go fishing)

Just checked the few images from that old Vivitar on my Flickr, and I forgot this, but it held the aperture data on Nikon cameras which was nice. It was actually the D200 I used it on. I love old lenses. Only got the one atm, I'm always buying and selling old gear so will get some more. I have an old Canon FD f/3.5 1:2 macro, which becomes a 1:1 when i attach a Raynox 250. It's a tricky lens to use I found though, and I'm used to macro. For portraits or general shooting it's a lot easier, very easy to snap to focus. But this is the fun, every one of your old lenses will have their own unique quirks

Steve either send it back for refund or replacement ,you obviously didn’t notice this when you first got it DID YOU ! ! and if they argue the toss you should insist they pay for a repair as it must have a warranty on it .
This is why I use WEX for used items 30 day exchange if you don’t like it and 12 months replace or refund warranty

Alert the sender before 14 day return period and I would think you're covered.

It's distance selling rules after all.

Forget Olympus, just raise a return.

Simples

Steve either send it back for refund or replacement ,you obviously didn’t notice this when you first got it DID YOU ! ! and if they argue the toss you should insist they pay for a repair as it must have a warranty on it .
This is why I use WEX for used items 30 day exchange if you don’t like it and 12 months replace or refund warranty

I've raised a return via the vendors website, so will hopefully hear from them soon. Regardless Ive done it within the 14 days. Reason for return is that the viewfinder has developed a fault.

Camera jungle are not as generous regarding their return period, it being only the legal statutory required 14 days, but they do offer a 12 month guarantee.

Just waiting now to see what their response will be, happy for a replacement or a repair, so long as it doesn't take months

Apparently it might be due to the larger viewfinders. Ive had a couple of XT1 and an XT2 which have big viewfinders but I never had this problem
So what exactly gets burnt, is it the LCD screen of the EVF itself?

I'd have said it was like it from when you received it.

I doubt you'll get a refund if you've said it "developed" a fault
I had consider saying it was there from the beginning but you literally can't miss it and no-one would have simply ignored such an obvious problem. At the very least its covered by their 12 month guarantee so they'll have to repair it at least or offer me a replacement and it is actually still within the 14 days, so technically I can return it if I want, whether or not their gonna be awkward because of the fault remains to be seen, but they haven't yet responded to my request for a return.

So what exactly gets burnt, is it the LCD screen of the EVF itself?
I'm not sure to be honest, I saw this possible explanation on one of the many discussions I found regarding this issue

"The problem is indeed caused by the sun - the sun being focussed by the eyepiece onto the top layer of the Epson display panel. This is a polariser, and a focussed image of the sun will heat the plastic film just enough to cause it to depolarise in under a second. Once depolarised, the LCD between the two films cannot attenuate the backlight, leaving a bright spot which is usually stained blue or green by the melted polariser."

However, in the case of the EM1.2 I was initially using one SD until the pair I had ordered came.

This morning I inserted the SD cards into both slots #1 slot did as it had done with my single card, went with a very slight resistance AOK.......but #2 slot was a different matter the card slid in but seemed not to latch (i.e. very little resistance) press it again to remove and nothing :(

Only thing I could do, because it did not appear to latch was using my thumbnail catch the edge of the card and lift it out which it did with a slight 'click' ~ odd I thought. I looked into both slots and I could see a minor difference in slot #2 to compared to slot #1

So, nothing ventured nothing gained.................I put both cards back in this time in #2 the card appeared to engage, latch and remove AOK. I did this a dozen times to ensure the action was 'sound' and not likely to jam.

The only slight difference I can now see is when both have been pressed to de-latch them for removal is that slot# 2 the card stands a few mm more proud than the slot #1 card.

Hence the insight request, how have you found the two slots and as such have you seen the slight differential in position once press & de-latched for removal???

Well, I am quoting myself because the question of the SD cards slots came up again today.

My brother was interested in the fact that I bought the E-M1 MK2 kit and having done his own product research bought the same kit. His primary usage is more social photography e.g portraiture.

Now, he rang me earlier to ask.........yes, you guessed about the SD slots and that slot 2 was behaving oddly.....just like mine! Though in his case the slot did not "recover".

He is taking it up with the shop, hopefully for him with a speedy resolution.

Therefore I do wonder how many buyers of this model or indeed any that take cards have had a similar issue. It does suggest there is a QC problem with what no doubt is a bought in component!!!

PS as mentioned mine now is behaving as an SD slot should.

Last edited:
They're all right I only liked it because of the beautiful dog ;)

Thank you chaps.

Now I need a dislike button for your comments :p
Lighting’s very nice, nice poses and a lovely dog. I would desaturate the blues a bit if they were my images. Some would alter WB to counteract it, but that warms everything up too much for my taste.

Anyone done a time lapse with their Oly?
I will be giving it a go soon. How l would I set up for a 30 second clip say 10 seconds apart?

Well, I am quoting myself because the question of the SD cards slots came up again today.

My brother was interested in the fact that I bought the E-M1 MK2 kit and having done his own product research bought the same kit. His primary usage is more social photography e.g portraiture.

Now, he rang me earlier to ask.........yes, you guessed about the SD slots and that slot 2 was behaving oddly.....just like mine! Though in his case the slot did not "recover".

He is taking it up with the shop, hopefully for him with a speedy resolution.

Therefore I do wonder how many buyers of this model or indeed any that take cards have had a similar issue. It does suggest there is a QC problem with what no doubt is a bought in component!!!

PS as mentioned mine now is behaving as an SD slot should.

I had this problem as well when I initially put a SD card in the second slot. I could put the card in but it was difficult to get out; I had to use tweezers. Since it was a new SD card I thought it might be an issue with the card (too thick?), but then I tried other cards and they showed the same problem. Thankfully the issue now seems to have resolved itself on my camera.

I had this problem as well when I initially put a SD card in the second slot. I could put the card in but it was difficult to get out; I had to use tweezers. Since it was a new SD card I thought it might be an issue with the card (too thick?), but then I tried other cards and they showed the same problem. Thankfully the issue now seems to have resolved itself on my camera.

Update ~ my brother had a positive outcome with the shop......they swapped it out for a new box from stock.

As per yours Maarten @maarten.dhaese mine continues to be fine but should anything happen that is what the warranty is for :)

A distracting branch but a lovely image ~ but with wildlife we welcome what we can get :) .Thanks for sharing.
I did consider cloning it out but its not a particularly brill shot due to the foreground branch .but nice and sharp on the eye

Thanks for "liking" the images.

Now what do you bloody think of them?!!!!!

:D

Not much to complain about, beautiful doggy, plenty of sharp detail, one thing though, I'm seeing a bit of a blue tint about the dog, I would try pulling blues back in LR - unless the dog actually shows this blue-ish tint in person?

Not much to complain about, beautiful doggy, plenty of sharp detail, one thing though, I'm seeing a bit of a blue tint about the dog, I would try pulling blues back in LR - unless the dog actually shows this blue-ish tint in person?

I forgot to set WB to flash for that one Keith.

Going to try my zooms next

I forgot to set WB to flash for that one Keith.

Going to try my zooms next

I have found with the G80 that no matter how I set the WB in post [I shoot RAW mostly] there's often a tint of blue in the highlights. Pulling back on blues in the HSL section helps a lot, unless it's an images that has a lot of actual blue, like the sky, then it gets trickier.

if you use photoshop /lightroom cc the latest update has given you absolutely tons of pre-sets that can be applied before doing the basic editing so in reality any look you require can be applied pre fully processing

In honour of world photography day!

EM5 MkII - 12-40 PRO
7.jpg

Anyone that has a om10 mkii , check your firmware and update to v1.3 did mine the other day ,and it’s a totally different beast .no idea what it’s done but it was like a supercharged camera today .pics will follow later
Did your firmware upgrade reset all your settings (bar the date and copyright?)
It might be something great in support for your lenses or perhaps something set up oddly that has been reset.

Last time I updated my firmware I forgot it would zap my preferences for focus peaking etc.!

Did your firmware upgrade reset all your settings (bar the date and copyright?)
It might be something great in support for your lenses or perhaps something set up oddly that has been reset.

Last time I updated my firmware I forgot it would zap my preferences for focus peaking etc.!
I think it did ,but cant really remember worth doing though

Back