Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I have found on both my cameras a g80 and a olympus 10-mk2 that it produces far more keepers if I shoot in s-af and also using shutter priority rather than a/v mode, goes against all I have done over the years , but shutter speed seems to be a far bigger influence than either iso or aperture , all my lenses are fine wide open so it makes little difference closing them down (for what I do) if I was into landscapes it might be different . I'm also on the verge of following mike and shooting more in 4k and pre-burst

Just a general observation.

On a walk a few days ago I took just the 12-40mm f2.8 (almost all shot so far has been with the 40-150 with & without the x1.4 TC)

I took the opportunity to try C-AF with traffic on the A road from a bridge, now granted even at 40mm they were small in the frame but the AF really did not yield much that was sharply focused i.e.shutter releasing even if not focused?..........................thinks have I carried over a setting I was trying elsewhere??? NB this was 'continuous shooting L' plus some with silent shutter to remove shutter shock.

Edit ~ even more frame filling slower moving cars not that good.................but this may be down to the AF struggling, even though I was focusing on the number plates, because of the shiney/reflective surfaces???

But plants and other static subjects including a local cat are fine taken with S-AF :)

So, need to re-check my menu settings for Av and Tv modes with C-AF
Two issues spring to mind. Firstly Olympus cameras (barring maybe the EM1-II) aren't very good at tracking to say the least. The second problem could be technique. Panning is a skill that needs practice. In terms of panning and AF, due to the poor AF-C of Olympus I would be tempted to pre-focus and not use AF, plane of focus doesn't tend to change much if you're panning left to right or right to left. I sometimes even do this with my Nikon.

Two issues spring to mind. Firstly Olympus cameras (barring maybe the EM1-II) aren't very good at tracking to say the least. The second problem could be technique. Panning is a skill that needs practice. In terms of panning and AF, due to the poor AF-C of Olympus I would be tempted to pre-focus and not use AF, plane of focus doesn't tend to change much if you're panning left to right or right to left. I sometimes even do this with my Nikon.

The cars on the A road and indeed the smaller road were broadly straight on (thinks A road ~ maybe 10-15degree angle of approach). Panning depending on the situation can be done with Single Shot but CF is beneficial if the angle of approach varies such as on the corner of a race track.

As for panning technique, with my Canon gear I have even managed at 1/40 second with my long gone 40D
here web_0961 by Imagin8, on Flickr

or 1/200 here.....though the target cars wheels are a bit too frozen :(
web_1394 by Imagin8, on Flickr

With my E-M1 mk2, for sure I need to find the limits & settings to suit the camera and me..............has been a while since I went to a track :(

Though getting older does affect the muscle tone needed to handle the gear & get the right body motion for panning.................one reason why I have switched to Olympus was to reduce the gear weight :LOL:

Last edited:
its all about practice. This was taken with a X100t which is notorious for slow focusing.

1/6s

hellfire racing
by damianmkv, on Flickr

I do quite a lot of panning but if i don't for a few months it can take me an hour or two to get my eye in

The cars on the A road and indeed the smaller road were broadly straight on (thinks A road ~ maybe 10-15degree angle of approach). Panning depending on the situation can be done with Single Shot but CF is beneficial if the angle of approach varies such as on the corner of a race track.

As for panning technique, with my Canon gear I have even managed at 1/40 second with my long gone 40D
here web_0961 by Imagin8, on Flickr

or 1/200 here.....though the target cars wheels are a bit too frozen :(
web_1394 by Imagin8, on Flickr

With my E-M1 mk2, for sure I need to find the limits & settings to suit the camera and me..............has been a while since I went to a track :(

Though getting older does affect the muscle tone needed to handle the gear & get the right body motion for panning.................one reason why I have switched to Olympus was to reduce the gear weight :LOL:
OK so panning technique doesn't seem to be the Achilles heel, so I'm guessing it's AF. Maybe either settings or just that Olympus still aren't quite there yet for subjects coming towards you/

its all about practice. This was taken with a X100t which is notorious for slow focusing.

1/6s

hellfire racing
by damianmkv, on Flickr

I do quite a lot of panning but if i don't for a few months it can take me an hour or two to get my eye in
Did I read that right, 1/6s??? :eek: Impressive. The best I've ever managed is 1/15 :( (although that was at 100mm ;))

DSC_9446-Edit-2
by TDG-77, on Flickr

I've been considering the X100 over the past couple of days for some reason, fancy giving one a go ;)

Yes, its 1/6s. The car was probably doing 10-15mph and the horizontal lines are a fence between me and the car...and the focal length helps like you say

Loved the X100T - as long as you go in eyes open and use it to that effect then you'd get on fine

Last edited:
OK so panning technique doesn't seem to be the Achilles heel, so I'm guessing it's AF. Maybe either settings or just that Olympus still aren't quite there yet for subjects coming towards you/

Did I read that right, 1/6s??? :eek: Impressive. The best I've ever managed is 1/15 :( (although that was at 100mm ;))

DSC_9446-Edit-2
by TDG-77, on Flickr

I've been considering the X100 over the past couple of days for some reason, fancy giving one a go ;)

Thats a beaut, even if it was shot on a Nikon :)

So, I'm finally getting my replacement EM5 MKII from Camera Jungle tomorrow, just in time for a trip to the lakes next week.

Was thinking of buying a longish zoom, perhaps the Panny 100-300, there's one on Wex for £238. Anyone used this lens, is it any good? How do you manage with any firmware updates for the lens if your on an Olympus body?

So, I'm finally getting my replacement EM5 MKII from Camera Jungle tomorrow, just in time for a trip to the lakes next week.

Was thinking of buying a longish zoom, perhaps the Panny 100-300, there's one on Wex for £238. Anyone used this lens, is it any good? How do you manage with any firmware updates for the lens if your on an Olympus body?
I had it and thought it was good optically. AF on these long zooms (this and the Olly 75-300mm) are slow though and they hunt a lot at the long end. Deffo a good buy if you don't need the fastest AF, and £238 sounds a pretty good price to me (I haven't tracked the prices but it seems good compared to what I paid a few years ago used)

I had it and thought it was good optically. AF on these long zooms (this and the Olly 75-300mm) are slow though and they hunt a lot at the long end. Deffo a good buy if you don't need the fastest AF, and £238 sounds a pretty good price to me (I haven't tracked the prices but it seems good compared to what I paid a few years ago used)
Thanks for that.

I can't decide between the 100-300mm or the 45-175mm. They're both about the same price new, but I can't help but think the 100-300 might be too long.

I have the Oly 75-300 and at the right aperture it's stupidly sharp.

picked it up from here for a bargain £200 too.

That's the one I'd go for.
I've just been looking at that one now. It's a stop slower at the full zoom compared to the panny, which might make focusing in low light at full zoom tricky. Did yours focus ok?

Not had a problem with it and under studio lights it's really REALLY sharp.

Not focused in really low light though but it's not really meant for that purpose.

Not had a problem with it and under studio lights it's really REALLY sharp.

Not focused in really low light though but it's not really meant for that purpose.
Just been looking at your images on Flickr and the portrait crop at 300mm certainly looks sharp.

Last edited:
I got a panny 100-300 mk 1 last week for the wife to use on her om10-mk2 after reading the comments above I have just picked it up @ 17.56 pm and focussed on various targets in the back garden through the double glazed window under a grey cloudy sky at the full 300mm focus and on every target it clicked in and locked instantly I de-focussed between targets , cant see what the moans are about to be honest

I have the Oly 75-300 and at the right aperture it's stupidly sharp.

picked it up from here for a bargain £200 too.

That's the one I'd go for.
I had both and compared them side by side, on my copies the Panny was a tad sharper at the long end, and was 1/2 stop faster.

I've just been looking at that one now. It's a stop slower at the full zoom compared to the panny, which might make focusing in low light at full zoom tricky. Did yours focus ok?
Only half a stop difference (y) (f5.6 vs f6.7)

Weekend of photography planned. Sunset tomorrow night in a special location here in Portugal, even considering a sunrise on Sunday near Lisbon, I have a location in mind. Was thinking of some street work, but honestly at 35C, I don't fancy it :p

Decided on the Panny 45-175mm lens in the end. I liked its compact size and that it was an internal zoom, and it seems as good as any of the 150-200mm MFT cheaper zoom lenses. I felt that 300mm/600m was just a little too long. After saying that I can imagine cursing myself next week in the lakes when I need that bit of extra reach.

Decided on the Panny 45-175mm lens in the end. I liked its compact size and that it was an internal zoom, and it seems as good as any of the 150-200mm MFT cheaper zoom lenses. I felt that 300mm/600m was just a little too long. After saying that I can imagine cursing myself next week in the lakes when I need that bit of extra reach.

Looks a great little lens, I love that it doesn't extend when zooming, it is also a cracking lens for macro - just add a Raynox or other add on macro filters.

started off a new section in photos for pleasure photos from any any MFT camera any lens . to try and keep the discussion boards free , lets show the doubters what we can do

Taking into consideration what happened to my last EM5 MKII and the sunspots, I've decided not to mess with the diopter and wear my glasses instead. Have to say it's not very comfortable. Do olympus have a larger eyecup to take account of spectacle wearers?

Taking into consideration what happened to my last EM5 MKII and the sunspots, I've decided not to mess with the diopter and wear my glasses instead. Have to say it's not very comfortable. Do olympus have a larger eyecup to take account of spectacle wearers?
Did they replace your last one in the end? What prescription are you? I’m -2.25 and always adjust my viewfinders accordingly. Either I’ve been very lucky with my Olly cameras or you’re very unlucky if you get sunspots.

What do you mean by sunspots? Did the viewfinder become damaged?

I’m long sighted now for both distance and reading, but so far I’m still managing to use the diopter okay. I’be tried contact lenses recently. They work well apart from I do feel my eyes dry out a bit staring through the viewfinder.

I’m long sighted now for both distance and reading, but so far I’m still managing to use the diopter okay. I’be tried contact lenses recently. They work well apart from I do feel my eyes dry out a bit staring through the viewfinder.
See this post, and the ones leading up to it. Pretty unlucky if you ask me, but not good that it can happen at all.

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...-2-owners-thread.395080/page-318#post-8237524

Did they replace your last one in the end? What prescription are you? I’m -2.25 and always adjust my viewfinders accordingly. Either I’ve been very lucky with my Olly cameras or you’re very unlucky if you get sunspots.

Yep, received my replacement EM5 II yesterday. Fair play to Camera Jungle, I thought they might have insisted on a repair.

It did. Under certain circumstances when the viewfinder is facing the sun and the diopter is set to a high + then the sun can burn spots onto the viewfinder. Unfortunately that happened to me, out on Hornsea beach.

See this post, and the ones leading up to it. Pretty unlucky if you ask me, but not good that it can happen at all.

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...-2-owners-thread.395080/page-318#post-8237524

I think I was unlucky. This is the third EM5 MKII I've had and it never happened to the other two so pretty bad luck. Whilst I think its fairly rare there are plenty of reports on the internet of it happening.

how was the viewfinder facing the sun though Steve , just in normal carriage ?? and what difference does the diopter setting make ?

how was the viewfinder facing the sun though Steve , just in normal carriage ?? and what difference does the diopter setting make ?
For the most part, it was on a tripod, with the sun behind me. I was trying out the new filters I had just bought here on the groynes at Hornsea. I really wasn't doing anything that you wouldn't normally do out and about with your camera. Regarding the diopter, it seems that if it is set to a high + then it can magnify any sun rays that may enter the viewfinder causing burning. I did, for a short time carry the camera over my shoulder still on the tripod. I suppose if it was facing down and the viewfinder pointing up to the sky, then the sun may have damaged it that way.

For what is was worth the only half decent LE shot I managed was this

Out to sea by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back