Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

It's very small and only for using the tripod hole as a holder, this it NOT a tripod plate.
Yeah, most of the time I don't need a tripod plate for my EM1, I just prefer to anchor one of the peak design clips to the bottom and one on the side lug rather than using both side lugs, it just sits more comfortably that way imo.

OK so I've always had an issue panning with the EM1 in that it never appeared to show a real time view and instead seemed to show the last frame, and even though at 9fps this 'delay' is minimal I've always found keeping track of fast moving subjects difficult (especially as I'm used to a DSLR with no viewfinder delay). I tried all the obvious things such as turning rec view off, changing the refresh rate on the EVF to high etc etc but alas no luck. However, after doing a bit of reading around today it appears that if you select Continuous Hi drive mode then you get what I've described, ie you see the previous frame. However, if you choose continuous low you get a real time view, allowing you to keep up with the action. The only caveat is that continuous low only goes up to 6.5fps.

Can any EM1 Mark II owners confirm whether this is the same on the Mark II?

I use continuous low on my EM1 Mk2, electronic shutter "limited" to 10fps (can do 18fps electronic, mechanical is 10fps max.), I don't experience the problem you describe, I have no issues keeping my eye on the car / bike, I just have an issue keeping the damn focus point on the car / bike due to still being only slightly less than crap at panning! :)

Last edited:
I use continuous low on my EM1 Mk2, electronic shutter "limited" to 10fps (can do 18fps electronic, mechanical is 10fps max.), I don't experience the problem you describe, I have no issues keeping my eye on the car / bike, I just have an issue keeping the damn focus point on the car / bike due to still being only slightly less than crap at panning! :)
Lol, thanks. What’s the highest frame rate for continuous low using mechanical shutter?

Yeah, most of the time I don't need a tripod plate for my EM1, I just prefer to anchor one of the peak design clips to the bottom and one on the side lug rather than using both side lugs, it just sits more comfortably that way imo.

ah, I was worried you thought it could be used as an actual tripod plate. I now have a RRS l plate and have an upper and lower PD clip on the right and one on the upper l side so plenty of options.

10fps mechanical in low, 18 electronic, 15fps mechanical in high, 60 electronic!
Well assuming that the Mark II is the same as the Mark 1 in that you get real time view in continuous low that’d be great, 10fps is more than enough for me.

What’s the buffer size (raw) at 10fps?

Well assuming that the Mark II is the same as the Mark 1 in that you get real time view in continuous low that’d be great, 10fps is more than enough for me.

What’s the buffer size (raw) at 10fps?

Never hung around long enough to find out!

edit: specs say 148 RAW

Last edited:
@snerkler You know there's a Test and Wow dealer in Sheffield? ;)
Pick your moment and you could take one to a meeting!
https://wow.olympus.eu/en_GB/choose
Thanks, already on the case with that one. I contacted Olympus earlier in the week to see if you can take out more than one item at a time as I'd like to try the 40-150mm f2.8 and 300mm f4 too. They said I can, just need to get them booked now and hope that when I do they're all available at the same time (you have to go through the process with each item and so might find one's not available by the time you've confirmed). I'm not sure of any upcoming meetings though.

Those lenses are both spankers, and to be honest one of the main reasons why micro four thirds is still in my life, I love my two. You might have some trouble deciding which one to get, as the 40-150 is a brillant general purpose telephoto zoom, for kids, pets, portraits, large wild life shooting (i've even shot garden birds on it without the converter). The 300mm F4 is just sublime, Tack sharp from wide open a great 600mm effective, plays quite nicely with the converter for an 840mm F5.6, and yet reamins compact, reasonbly light (for what it is) and very portable. Also the IS on it is amazing with an Olympus body for dual IS. About the only critisim I coudl level at the lens, is that you might need to watch your backgrounds, as under some circumstances (with lots of trees or branches just behind the subject), the bokeh can get a bit nervous (but not objectional to my eye).

Those lenses are both spankers, and to be honest one of the main reasons why micro four thirds is still in my life, I love my two. You might have some trouble deciding which one to get, as the 40-150 is a brillant general purpose telephoto zoom, for kids, pets, portraits, large wild life shooting (i've even shot garden birds on it without the converter). The 300mm F4 is just sublime, Tack sharp from wide open a great 600mm effective, plays quite nicely with the converter for an 840mm F5.6, and yet reamins compact, reasonbly light (for what it is) and very portable. Also the IS on it is amazing with an Olympus body for dual IS. About the only critisim I coudl level at the lens, is that you might need to watch your backgrounds, as under some circumstances (with lots of trees or branches just behind the subject), the bokeh can get a bit nervous (but not objectional to my eye).
My issue is that, on the whole I prefer the images I get with FF. I like shallow DOF and generally prefer the rendering. Of course, having a 45.7MP monster with no AA filter the sharpness and detail is stunning. However, for the past few years I've been suffering with fibromyalgia and it's getting worse unfortunately, therefore lugging my D850 and 150-600mm totalling 3kg is a prospect that gets less and less appealing. I'd love the 300mm f4 as that would give me pretty much the same DOF as my Tamron at 600mm (I stop it down to f8), but it's pricey and I'll most likely end up with the 100-400mm Panny. Also, as good as the 40-150mm f2.8 is it's not going to give me the same shallow DOF as my 70-200mm f2.8 Nikon. However, it may be a case of needs must (y)

My issue is that, on the whole I prefer the images I get with FF. I like shallow DOF and generally prefer the rendering. Of course, having a 45.7MP monster with no AA filter the sharpness and detail is stunning. However, for the past few years I've been suffering with fibromyalgia and it's getting worse unfortunately, therefore lugging my D850 and 150-600mm totalling 3kg is a prospect that gets less and less appealing. I'd love the 300mm f4 as that would give me pretty much the same DOF as my Tamron at 600mm (I stop it down to f8), but it's pricey and I'll most likely end up with the 100-400mm Panny. Also, as good as the 40-150mm f2.8 is it's not going to give me the same shallow DOF as my 70-200mm f2.8 Nikon. However, it may be a case of needs must (y)

That is no joke, my partner has suffered this for over 13years, before it was even officially recognised by GPs, I've seen her slowly crumble over the years, she suffers chronic pain all the time, very sad for me to see. Horrible illness. The docs think I have it too, I have sciatica and a different back from an accident years back and they think this may have triggered it. So I literally feel your pain - this is why I'm here too pretty much, couldn't handle the heavier load of gear anymore, I fought it a couple of years. But every extra kg counts so much now.

That is no joke, my partner has suffered this for over 13years, before it was even officially recognised by GPs, I've seen her slowly crumble over the years, she suffers chronic pain all the time, very sad for me to see. Horrible illness. The docs think I have it too, I have sciatica and a different back from an accident years back and they think this may have triggered it. So I literally feel your pain - this is why I'm here too pretty much, couldn't handle the heavier load of gear anymore, I fought it a couple of years. But every extra kg counts so much now.
Sorry to hear that you're both suffering it too, it really is no fun. Fortunately for me I can still work, and do most things I want in moderation although I sadly had to give up motorcycling, and I can now only play the piano for about 20 mins at a time. But as I say, I count myself pretty lucky as I see several people/week with this condition and most are far worse than me.

Thanks, already on the case with that one. I contacted Olympus earlier in the week to see if you can take out more than one item at a time as I'd like to try the 40-150mm f2.8 and 300mm f4 too. They said I can, just need to get them booked now and hope that when I do they're all available at the same time (you have to go through the process with each item and so might find one's not available by the time you've confirmed). I'm not sure of any upcoming meetings though.
Interesting - I was trying to see if any dealers near me participate. The dealers seem to vary by item. For instance I could borrow the EM-1ii + 12-40PRO kit from Cambridge but the 12-40PRO on it's own was only available in Exeter?
I assume Olympus have made quite small amounts of stock available to dealers for this kind of extended demo.

It's probably for the best there's nothing near enough to me - it will stop me borrowing then buying the 12-40 :)

When I did Test and Wow I borrowed a 1 mk2 and a 12-40. It certainly was a Wow! They looked like there were effectively new, I do remember taking plastic off one of the accessories. I don't think my dealer had all the times available.

As for the lenses, I can echo what Sootchucker says. I used the 40-150 at an event last weekend, where previously I've used a 70-200 on D750. Lighter, quieter, longer range, better focussing, and great results. The 300mm is a bit of a beast and I need time and location to use it to its full. Can't wait.

Last edited:
Do have a look here for the clean down after seaspray exposure!!!

This one was mentioned in todays Olympus newsletter

https://my.olympus-consumer.com/blo...VAU&bpid=fa163ef4-1778-1ee8-a49e-db93aca9553e

And do watch the little video at the end of the article.....................I know that out EM1.2 with Pro lenses is stated as waterproof etc but I still 'nanny' my gear (coming from even Pro Canon grade gear). So cannot stand the thought of seaspray but to see the clean down gave me concerns!!!!

Interesting - I was trying to see if any dealers near me participate. The dealers seem to vary by item. For instance I could borrow the EM-1ii + 12-40PRO kit from Cambridge but the 12-40PRO on it's own was only available in Exeter?
I assume Olympus have made quite small amounts of stock available to dealers for this kind of extended demo.

It's probably for the best there's nothing near enough to me - it will stop me borrowing then buying the 12-40 :)
I think Harrison's had them all tbh, although they didn't have the 40-150mm with TC, only the 40-150mm
When I did Test and Wow I borrowed a 1 mk2 and a 12-40. It certainly was a Wow! They looked like there were effectively new, I do remember taking plastic off one of the accessories. I don't think my dealer had all the times available.

As for the lenses, I can echo what Sootchucker says. I used the 40-150 at an event last weekend, where previously I've used a 70-200 on D750. Lighter, quieter, longer range, better focussing, and great results. The 300mm is a bit of a beat and I need time and location to use it to its full. Can't wait.
I'll be absolutely gobsmacked if the 40-150mm on the EM1-II focusses better than my 70-200mm f2.8 VRII on my D850 or (now gone) D750, so I'm quite looking forward to trying the 40-150mm now (y)

It's pretty much instant Snerkler, at all focal lengths.

Sorry to hear that you're both suffering it too, it really is no fun. Fortunately for me I can still work, and do most things I want in moderation although I sadly had to give up motorcycling, and I can now only play the piano for about 20 mins at a time. But as I say, I count myself pretty lucky as I see several people/week with this condition and most are far worse than me.

Tragic coincidence in our case really. Hers began after a difficult pregnancy, mine wasn't until many years later through an accident at work. I continued to work for almost 2 years with a disc bulging into my spinal chord, of course I didn't know this as they had told me it was all muscular - until I went private and got an MRI scan that revealed it. I did a lot more damage in those 2 years sadly. I've since been re-trained into a completely different field and have completed extra courses and work experience training to build on the skills so there's always hope. I just can't ever return to engineering. Not the physical side of it at least.

On topic - I find the 12-40 nippy enough on the G80, there are times it hunts a bit in low contrast scenarios, but I would imagine it'll behave better on an Oly body.

I find the 12-40 nippy enough on the G80, there are times it hunts a bit in low contrast scenarios, but I would imagine it'll behave better on an Oly body.

Just bought one, did wonder if it would be better suited to an Olympus body, oh well its done now.
Got one of my 25mm primes up for sale, how many lenses does one need to cover the same focal length

Just bought one, did wonder if it would be better suited to an Olympus body, oh well its done now.
Got one of my 25mm primes up for sale, how many lenses does one need to cover the same focal length

I highly doubt you'll regret it, it's the best lens I've had to date for the G80. It's only hunted now and then in low light situations, just had to catch a more contrasty area in those circumstances. The MF 'clutch' is great in those situations - and I'm being a bit harsh on it because the most recent time I'm thinking this happened was a birthday party last week - shooting by candlelight, and any camera and lens combo can struggle there.

I highly doubt you'll regret it, it's the best lens I've had to date for the G80. It's only hunted now and then in low light situations, just had to catch a more contrasty area in those circumstances. The MF 'clutch' is great in those situations - and I'm being a bit harsh on it because the most recent time I'm thinking this happened was a birthday party last week - shooting by candlelight, and any camera and lens combo can struggle there.

Good to hear, bought it mainly for travel so I can take just the one lens.
Lot to live up to, got a great 12mm f2 and some other nice primes too
Tried a 12-35mm the other week, very nice, but didn't seem very robust considering the near 700 quid price

Tragic coincidence in our case really. Hers began after a difficult pregnancy, mine wasn't until many years later through an accident at work. I continued to work for almost 2 years with a disc bulging into my spinal chord, of course I didn't know this as they had told me it was all muscular - until I went private and got an MRI scan that revealed it. I did a lot more damage in those 2 years sadly. I've since been re-trained into a completely different field and have completed extra courses and work experience training to build on the skills so there's always hope. I just can't ever return to engineering. Not the physical side of it at least.

On topic - I find the 12-40 nippy enough on the G80, there are times it hunts a bit in low contrast scenarios, but I would imagine it'll behave better on an Oly body.
The 12-40mm is cracking on the EM1. It can hunt in low light, but I've not used a mirrorless where this doesn't happen tbh. It's pretty extreme scenarios where it hunts though.
The 12-40mm is a cracking lens, I"m sure you'll be happy.

Tried a 12-35mm the other week, very nice, but didn't seem very robust considering the near 700 quid price
I think the 12-40mm feels like a top quality lens. Maybe not quite the tank like construction of something like the Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 but I don't have an worries with it, I'd be happy to take it out in all conditions and it feels like it could take a good beating, if you were that way inclined ;)

I think the 12-40mm feels like a top quality lens. Maybe not quite the tank like construction of something like the Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 but I don't have an worries with it, I'd be happy to take it out in all conditions and it feels like it could take a good beating, if you were that way inclined ;)

It's a great lens with great build quality. Only problem I have with it is that the Olympus lens hood tends to work itself loose and I've twice had to scour a stretch in the park to find it back. The JJC lens hood replacement is supposedly pretty good.

Only problem I have with it is that the Olympus lens hood tends to work itself loose and I've twice had to scour a stretch in the park to find it back. The JJC lens hood replacement is supposedly pretty good.

I’ve had my lens hood drop off and it took me a while to realise it only fits on in one way. If you rotate it by 100 degrees it feels like it’s attached, but it isn’t properly.

But the 12-40mm lens hood has a locking latch and (surely?) in normal use is unlikely(???) to become detached!

Having said that I bought a JJC one because the Oly ones are expensive to replace ;)

PS it is a cheaper substitute for the 40-150mm Pro I am still seeking???

But the 12-40mm lens hood has a locking latch and (surely?) in normal use is unlikely(???) to become detached!

Having said that I bought a JJC one because the Oly ones are expensive to replace ;)

You’d think that the locking latches would stop it from coming off wouldn’t you, but I’ve had it happen a couple of times too :oops: :$

The Canon hood for the EF 135 f/2.0 fits but feels a bit loose. Prefer the original Olympus hood for this although mine did come apart (and was fixed for free by Olympus).

The hood on mine has never come loose, yet! Takes a bit of effort to get it off in fact

Just reserved the EM1-II, 300mm f4 and 40-150mm f2.8 for a couple of weeks time using the test and wow, looking forward to putting them to the test :D

I would seriously love either of those lenses, both would be the dream
TBH the 300mm is out of my price range. The 40-150mm is do-able grey if I sell some Nikon stuff.

So I hear and read several reviews with Oly E-M1ii managing to do handheld 5s long exposures. This has really caught my attention. Had anyone here tried this?
Is this lens dependant and does it work with say Panasonic lenses?
Also are there any Panasonic bodies with similarly effective IBIS?

Last edited:
So I hear and read several reviews with Oly E-M1ii managing to do handheld 5s long exposures. This has really caught my attention. Had anyone here tried this?
Is this lens dependant and does it work with say Panasonic lenses?
Also are there any Panasonic bodies with similarly effective IBIS?
I consistently managed 1s hand held with the EM5-II but 5s is going some. IF this is possible does this mean you can do handheld hi res shots?

Back