Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

So I hear and read several reviews with Oly E-M1ii managing to do handheld 5s long exposures. This has really caught my attention. Had anyone here tried this?
Is this lens dependant and does it work with say Panasonic lenses?
Also are there any Panasonic bodies with similarly effective IBIS?
I think I have done this with an em5mkii and Oly 12-40, but I can't remember if I was leaning against something and I expect you mean from a standing only point of view. Happy to try again. 2.5 secs I have definitely done.

So I hear and read several reviews with Oly E-M1ii managing to do handheld 5s long exposures. This has really caught my attention. Had anyone here tried this?
Sorrry not a great picture but more a demonstration.

2 second shutter
57mm (114mm 35mm equivalent), F9.0, ISO 320. Handheld with lens & body IS turned on (Oly 12-200mm f4 pro). I found that 2 seconds I had to be careful to keep it still before it blurred, so not sure I could pull off 5 seconds. IMG_20190201_202015.jpeg

The G9 is possibly the only one with as good or better IBIS than the em1 mkII. Dual IS in tandem with the lens IS improves things by about half a stop from what I've read. The G9 claims up to 6.5 stops using dual IS with Panasonic lenses. I can do a second easy enough with some concentration using the G80 and a non IS lens, and the G9 is far superior from what I've seen. One reviewer [if I can find it I'll post] showed off a 20 second exp using the Em1 mkII - he was leaning against a wall, but still incredible

This is 5 seconds hand-held, the photo is rubbish of course, just thought I'd try it for a laugh, and was quite surprised it was vaguely recognisable!

Panasonic 25mm f/1.7, so EM1 Mk2 IBIS only, but then I don't have any Olympus lenses offering dual stabilisation.

The G9 is possibly the only one with as good or better IBIS than the em1 mkII. Dual IS in tandem with the lens IS improves things by about half a stop from what I've read. The G9 claims up to 6.5 stops using dual IS with Panasonic lenses. I can do a second easy enough with some concentration using the G80 and a non IS lens, and the G9 is far superior from what I've seen. One reviewer [if I can find it I'll post] showed off a 20 second exp using the Em1 mkII - he was leaning against a wall, but still incredible
20s :eek: I think the EM1-II can do 6.5 stops in combo with the right lens too, impressive stuff

20s :eek: I think the EM1-II can do 6.5 stops in combo with the right lens too, impressive stuff

Yeah, I have an idea which reviewer it was but cannot for the life of me think of his name, him and his wife have a review site - and no, not that couple :p

It was this guy, flick to 1:10 - he shows an example of a 20 sec shot, but goes on to say for more practical purposes, out in the field/traveling, 3 - 5 seconds is no big issue. He has more examples on their website

Last edited:

OK I had to give it a try:

E-M1II + 12-100 f/4.0 - 5 secs handheld (f/18) - lens and body stabilisation ON:

P2010027 by Maarten D'Haese, on Flickr

Please note not all Olympus m.Zuiko lenses have in-lens stabilisation but the 12-100 f/4.0 does.

That's absolutely amazing!! Thanks guys for the input.

I am debating if I should forgo FF for traveling. The main attraction is size and this amazing ability to hand hold long exposures. In places tripods aren't allowed and this would be invaluable. Also the extra ruggedness of Oly is a cherry on top.

The downside is I don't get the dynamic range and high res...
tough choices and first world problems lol

I am debating if I should forgo FF for traveling. The main attraction is size and this amazing ability to hand hold long exposures. In places tripods aren't allowed and this would be invaluable. Also the extra ruggedness of Oly is a cherry on top.

As long as the subject isn't moving it is super-duper easy to bracket exposure (and then merge in LR), giving you many extra stops of dynamic range. Even the in camera HDR which gives you a flat raw file works pretty well.

For me, very high res is a waste of time and disc space, 16mp is more than enough to print anything big enough for my house. But I understand some people like it.

There is always a compromise, but seriously the DR of these cameras is nowhere near as bad as some like to make out. Sure it's not up to FF standards, nor is the low light performance, but the gap is not as gigantic as you may think. This guy uses both and does a very in depth comparison across the board here, worth a look to see the strengths and weaknesses of both:

I do realise this is the G9, but you could swap in the Em1 mkII just as easily, very comparable.

ISO comparison around 6:30 onward, followed by DR and then IBIS

Last edited:

There’s always compromises. That being said the DR can easily be overcome in static scenes by bracketing. Again for static scenes you can use the hi res mode on the EM1-Mark II

As long as the subject isn't moving it is super-duper easy to bracket exposure (and then merge in LR), giving you many extra stops of dynamic range. Even the in camera HDR which gives you a flat raw file works pretty well.

For me, very high res is a waste of time and disc space, 16mp is more than enough to print anything big enough for my house. But I understand some people like it.
Is the EM1-II different to other ollies in HDR then? In other ollies when shooting HDR you get a HDR jpeg and then a single RAW file of one exposure (the ‘correct’ exposure).

Is the EM1-II different to other ollies in HDR then? In other ollies when shooting HDR you get a HDR jpeg and then a single RAW file of one exposure (the ‘correct’ exposure).

Hmm, I'm sure on my EM5ii I got a raw file too - it's been a while since I've used it though, 2016 on Mt Etna IIRC (snow and black volcanic rock).

I'll check when I get the chance - I usually bracket and merge in LR as I love moving the sliders miles up and down :D

Hmm, I'm sure on my EM5ii I got a raw file too - it's been a while since I've used it though, 2016 on Mt Etna IIRC (snow and black volcanic rock).

I'll check when I get the chance - I usually bracket and merge in LR as I love moving the sliders miles up and down :D
You do get a RAW, but just a single exposure RAW. That’s how it is on the EM1 anyway, just double checked the manual to make sure I wasn’t imagining it ;)

Just tried this and succeeded. Two shots to make sure. I held my breath and obviously kept v still. This is just with body IS. I have hand held the 300mm at about 1/40th second, but that has Lens IS too.

Of course one can get by dynamic range in various ways inc. blending and using filters. But I am using a FF Sony sensor so that I don't have to do this.

I appreciate dynamic range isn't bad in fact E-M1ii it's as good as my old A6000 which I used for travels.

Hmmm... How about I sell my tamron 28-75 and replace it with Oly E-M1ii+12-100mm. I leave the 100-400mm at home. For longer distances I'll simply use high Res mode and crop.

Current setup:
A7RIII+15/2, 24GM, 28-75/2.8,100-400GM

New setup:
A7RIII+15/2, 24GM, 85mm/1.8
Oly E-M1ii+12-100

Just throwing around ideas....
This gives me a back up body plus saves too many lens changes which honestly is annoying with mirrorless cameras since I inevitably end up with dust bunnies

Last edited:
@nandbytes... I have the EM1 MkII and the 12-100mm f4, it’s a great combination.

Last edited:
Of course one can get by dynamic range in various ways inc. blending and using filters. But I am using a FF Sony sensor so that I don't have to do this.

I appreciate dynamic range isn't bad in fact E-M1ii it's as good as my old A6000 which I used for travels.

Hmmm... How about I sell my tamron 28-75 and replace it with Oly E-M1ii+12-100mm. I leave the 100-400mm at home. For longer distances I'll simply use high Res mode and crop.

Current setup:
A7RIII+15/2, 24GM, 28-75/2.8,100-400GM

New setup:
A7RIII+15/2, 24GM, 85mm/1.8
Oly E-M1ii+12-100

Just throwing around ideas....
This gives me a back up body plus saves too many lens changes which honestly is annoying with mirrorless cameras since I inevitably end up with dust bunnies
If I had the A7RIII I would just buy the 24-105 f4 for travel. Cheaper than buying an EM1-II and 12-100mm f4, better DR, noise handling and IQ and only a bit more in weight. Also, the A7RIII is around 18mp in DX IIRC, giving you 157.5mm reach effectively. I doubt I’d use another lens for travel, not as though I’d be going on a portrait shoot or anything ;)

If I had the A7RIII I would just buy the 24-105 f4 for travel. Cheaper than buying an EM1-II and 12-100mm f4, better DR, noise handling and IQ and only a bit more in weight. Also, the A7RIII is around 18mp in DX IIRC, giving you 157.5mm reach effectively. I doubt I’d use another lens for travel, not as though I’d be going on a portrait shoot or anything ;)

The whole point of buying Oly is to have that IBIS that lets me handhold down to 5s for places I can't use a tripod. Otherwise I don't need any more lenses on Sony. And reason to pick the 12-100 is that it gives a good range and I hear that it's the best lens to use for the stabilization combo.

Last edited:
The 12-100 does look tasty, thought about myself, but I like the 12-40 2.8 too much. I think it's the lens that will only go when or if I ditch M43 overall. It's not a stabilized lens, but of course this doesn't matter to me with a Pany body. Love the close focusing - that manual focus clutch that takes me to true MF and it is sharp! wide open all the way through - it may soften slightly at 40mm, but nothing to moan about.

Do Panasonic lenses work equally well on Oly bodies especially ones with OIS? I am talking especially about stabilization

I like the look of the 12-35/2.8 and 35-100/2.8

The whole point of buying Oly is to have that IBIS that lets me handhold down to 5s for places I can't use a tripod. Otherwise I don't need any more lenses on Sony. And reason to pick the 12-100 is that it gives a good range and I hear that it's the best lens to use for the stabilization combo.
Do you do that a lot? It seems a lot of money to shell out for the odd time you'll do that :oops: :$ Of course, you're perfectly entitled to spend your money any way you wish ;)

I always take a gorillapod away with me and I'm yet to use it :oops: :$

Do you do that a lot? It seems a lot of money to shell out for the odd time you'll do that :oops: :$ Of course, you're perfectly entitled to spend your money any way you wish ;)

I always take a gorillapod away with me and I'm yet to use it :oops: :$

I do it a fair amount especially in the evenings, I love my long exposures :D

Well gorillapod is a cheaper decent idea but I don't think it's particularly useful because I can't always find something to rest it on or tie it to. I had one too which I never used, I either used the big tripod or no tripod at all.

What lenses are people hand holding for 5s? I don’t think I’ve ever held anything over 1 sec on my E-m5ii and thought I had pretty good technique. 5s is gob smacking! That sounds about 7-8 stops even on a very wide angle.

What lenses are people hand holding for 5s? I don’t think I’ve ever held anything over 1 sec on my E-m5ii and thought I had pretty good technique. 5s is gob smacking! That sounds about 7-8 stops even on a very wide angle.
12-100mm f4 I believe as it has the lens IS too which in combo with the IBIS gives you 6.5stops.

12-100mm f4 I believe as it has the lens IS too which in combo with the IBIS gives you 6.5stops.

I twigged that after I posted. I guess that must make a difference but these numbers are amazing. I guess it just about adds up using typical rules but I just cannot get my head around hand holding for that long. To be honest I was blown away with 1 second!

I twigged that after I posted. I guess that must make a difference but these numbers are amazing. I guess it just about adds up using typical rules but I just cannot get my head around hand holding for that long. To be honest I was blown away with 1 second!
Having a shutter delay helps I think too. I only ever managed 2s with the EM5-II IIRC.

5 seconds has to be at wide angle, never bothered to test it to the extreme on my EM1ii but seem to recall 2s at 12mm being not much bother.

Handheld last night after a few wines...could've done with 1 second more really

3.2 seconds
by damianmkv, on Flickr

Don't you like it?

Im just not using it. I have the 7-14 pro, the 12-40pro and the 40-150 pro and TC and have come to the conclusion after spending all this money that (for me) the best thing to do to get more out of my kind of photography is to sell them all and get a 12-100pro and be done

Yes, it’s a cheap fisheye type lens but f8 so you need either good light or balance or ibis or a combination

Out of interest how long does it take to create a hi res shot in the EM5-II and EM1-II? Obviously if it’s less than 5s this means hi res is do-able hand held (y)

Out of interest how long does it take to create a hi res shot in the EM5-II and EM1-II? Obviously if it’s less than 5s this means hi res is do-able hand held (y)

I was wondering the same thing. Though on sony you can set the time difference between each shot for pixel shift. The smallest is 1/2s. This is definitely not possible handheld on Sony.

With 24mm GM I can get reliable sharp shots at 1/2s (~3.5 stops) and with some trial and error sharp shot at 1s (~4.5 stops).

So 5s handheld would be completely amazing (but depends on trial and error again of course). I am thinking of trying the e-m1ii+12-40 using Oly's "test and wow" scheme. I won't know what i can do with it till I try it myself!

Last edited:
Unfortunately the hi res doesn’t work handheld, not that I’ve tried. Presumably the pixelshift and IBIS don’t play together as well as they might.

This is a feature of the EM1X, hand held high res is possible, not with the Em1 mkII though sadly, would be great

Back