Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

They look pretty damn good from here @snerkler
Thanks. I always find my images posted on here a bit disappointing and seem to be much better on flickr. Neither seem to be as good as the originals before upload though :(

Thanks. I always find my images posted on here a bit disappointing and seem to be much better on flickr. Neither seem to be as good as the originals before upload though :(

Same for all, by now most of us allow for this when viewing images. I will say this forum is 10x better for displaying images than the likes of DPR - that place absoloutely demolishes image IQ, enhances noise, seems to way over sharpen too

Just had a wander round the town I live in and came across a courtyard with this collection of ironwork.
Anyone know what they are please.
I'm a Londoner so not well versed in country ways, peasant punishment devices maybe?

P2140040 1.jpg

Just had a wander round the town I live in and came across a courtyard with this collection of ironwork.
I'm a Londoner so not well versed in country ways, peasant punishment devices maybe?

View attachment 237423

The ironwork mounted to the piece of wood on the RHS looks like (part of) a traditional hand pump; no idea about the other stuff.

View attachment 237423

Heh, that would be my first devilish thought too, I was fascinated by medieval torture as a kid - I remember having a book from the London dungeons that described many of them, like the little ease, the rack etc ... But, these are more likely to be lantern holders or the like [the 2 small caged ones]

Thanks both, can see how they could be lantern holders.
I thought at first the mounted object could be a handpump, but not so sure.
Here is another photo, might help a bit.

A well known heavy metal band are named after a medieval torture device

P2140041 1.jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 237426

MAIDEN!! \m/_

They look like something a Blacksmith might have had on the wall for holding tools, the pump-like one could have been part of some form of clamp system

As promised, a few pics from my test and wow with the Olympus EM1-II, 300mm f4 and 40-150mm f2.8 with 1.4xTC. On my computer they look better on Flickr, they look slightly softer on here.

P2131011
by TDG-77, on Flickr

P2130806
by TDG-77, on Flickr

P2130783
by TDG-77, on Flickr

P2130370-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

P2130032
by TDG-77, on Flickr

P2130021
by TDG-77, on Flickr

P2130011
by TDG-77, on Flickr

The male lion is fantastic, did you do the conversion yourself or was it the Oly B&W profile (which is generally very nice).

And your experience of the PL100-400 matches mine, not as sharp as the pro lenses but more than good enough for me.
You know, I've always been a big fan of Micro four thirds, but even more so after last night. We have two dogs, one of them being our now 5 month old Cocker Spaniel pup - Daisy. Last night I dusted off my Fuji X-H1 with two of Fuji's best lenses - the 16-55 F2.8 and the 50-140 F2.8. I was actually very disappointed. I wasn't using flash (deliberately) and so it was via LED kitchen lights (so at night, still pretty dim). The dogs were on their bed so not really moving round much, but both are black (Daisy has white markings on her nose and throat, but Charlie is pure black).

With both lenses, the Fuji hunted back and forth, when it did achieve focus, despite saying it was in focus, a few times on image review a number of the images were clearly out of focus. Also I was shooting at ISO6400 with shutter speeds as low at 1/20 -1/80 sec, and the noise on the image didn't look very nice at all.

I then went upstairs and got my EM1.2 and the 40-150 F2.8 and low and behold, under the same lighting, the Olympus just snapped into focus each time (and it was clear on image review they were actually in focus). Also, despite shooting under the same conditions (ISO5000-6400) the images actually looked better on the back of the LCD, which was confirmed when I got them into Photoshop. Whilst certainly no where near full frame clean, a bit of PP and they cleaned up quite nicely. Don't get me wrong the Fuji system has other strengths, but with the X-H1 in particular, low light focusing isn't one of them. God only knows how good the new EM1X must be under the same conditions ?

Just a snap really but you get the idea.

Olympus OMD-EM1 MK 2, M.Zuiko 40-150 F2.8 Pro @ 79mm (158mm effective) , 1/25 sec, F2.8 ISO 5000

I long since came to the opinion that actually getting a shot is far more important than outright IQ, for me that means actually having a camera on me, or one I can easily carry to where I’m going, or as you’ve found the new EM1ii is pretty good at acquiring focus in dark situations as long as you don’t use the smallest focus point. Pixel peeping is a fools errand with no end in sight as there will always be something newer and ‘better’.

View attachment 237426

I suspect they are (horse) tack holders, maybe not mounted correctly.

The male lion is fantastic, did you do the conversion yourself or was it the Oly B&W profile (which is generally very nice).

And your experience of the PL100-400 matches mine, not as sharp as the pro lenses but more than good enough for me.
Thanks, it's my own conversion.

I long since came to the opinion that actually getting a shot is far more important than outright IQ, for me that means actually having a camera on me, or one I can easily carry to where I’m going, or as you’ve found the new EM1ii is pretty good at acquiring focus in dark situations as long as you don’t use the smallest focus point. Pixel peeping is a fools errand with no end in sight as there will always be something newer and ‘better’.
I always use the small AF point, I didn't realise it affected the ability to focus so much.

I'm glad I've made the swap from the 150-600mm to 100-400mm on the whole, and can see myself using m4/3 more than my D850 in the future. The only thing I did notice today where m4/3 falls down is shooting in low light. Of course I've always known this, but using the 100-400mm today brought it home. Now whilst ISO wasn't massively high (2500 from memory) the photos were very 'mushy' due to noise. Obviously ISO only tells half the story as it's the quality of light as well, and I was shooting a squirrel that was in the shade. However the Nikon photos would have been much better so it's just made me aware that I need to be more selective and more careful of light (y)

To push home the ISO vs light quality thing home I then went inside and took another photo of my dog and ISO was 5000, but it was pretty clean, detailed and didn't need any NR.

Last edited:
Here's a 100% crop using the 300mm f4 yesterday. I didn't think m4/3 cropped that well but this isn't bad imo

P2130064-Edit by TDG-77, on Flickr

Here's a 100% crop using the 300mm f4 yesterday. I didn't think m4/3 cropped that well but this isn't bad imo

P2130064-Edit by TDG-77, on Flickr

It looks pretty good. I guess 100% crop on a 20mp sensor is a somewhat less severe crop than on a 45mp sensor though. As in it represents a bigger portion of the sensor. Or at least that's what my head is telling me but it's been a long day!

It looks pretty good. I guess 100% crop on a 20mp sensor is a somewhat less severe crop than on a 45mp sensor though. As in it represents a bigger portion of the sensor. Or at least that's what my head is telling me but it's been a long day!
A 100% crop is a 100% crop. Obviously if you have more MP that crop will be closer and as such will probably show more detail, but in terms of ‘degredation’ I always thought that m4/3 showed more flaws. This looks pretty good to me, suggesting the lens is very good and resolves well.

A 100% crop is a 100% crop. Obviously if you have more MP that crop will be closer and as such will probably show more detail, but in terms of ‘degredation’ I always thought that m4/3 showed more flaws. This looks pretty good to me, suggesting the lens is very good and resolves well.

Some of the M4/3 lenses must be pretty magical in terms of resolving so much detail onto a comparatively small sensor. Some of the high end primes and Pro zooms seem pure witch craft.

Can you combine the OIS on Panny lenses with the IBIS of Olly bodies or can you only use Panny lens OIS on Panny bodies?

Can you combine the OIS on Panny lenses with the IBIS of Olly bodies or can you only use Panny lens OIS on Panny bodies?

It's one or t'other only.

Here's some experimental data from when I got mine. Basically, use the lens OIS, which is really rather fantastic. Of course 1/50 isn't much use for moving things but it means you can dial in 'just fast enough' shutter speeds for things without worrying about camera shake.

Snip20190214_1.png

You need to look at pixel size, or to put it another way, magnification through the lens (sensor size is actually largely irrelevant if you are zooming to 100%, you need to consider total magnification).

You need to look at pixel size, or to put it another way, magnification through the lens (sensor size is actually largely irrelevant if you are zooming to 100%, you need to consider total magnification).

Yep. I didn't phrase it well but I understand.

A lens that can resolve detail like that is an impressive lens.

Probably it is easier to design a lens to resolve detail on a small sensor than it is for a large one.

Choosing between systems to shoot is the resolution is a compromise between bokeh, weight/size of equipment, noise of shutter release (I've git tinnitus from my D750 shoot today...) noise at higher ISO and so on.

Right now, (this afternoon excepted) I'm leaning heavily towards the Oly. It gives me way more than APS C did, for less weight.

Got a bit of Moon photography in this evening too.

One with the G9
Moon by Huw Prosser, on Flickr

And one with the E-M1 MkII

Both with with the Tokina 300 f/2.8 and three stacked converters.
The G9 has come out a bit better but that's no reflection on the camera body. It's basically down to atmospheric conditions and slight breeze etc

One with the G9

The G9 has come out a bit better but that's no reflection on the camera body. It's basically down to atmospheric conditions and slight breeze etc

Wow! That is impressive crater detail. What are the converters you stacked? The sharpness is even more impressive considering this.

One with the G9

Some great magnification and detail there. What was your overall focal length?

Wow! That is impressive crater detail. What are the converters you stacked? The sharpness is even more impressive considering this.
Thanks Keith, my manual Tokina 300 f/2.8 is an FD mount so I use firstly a Canon FD 1.4X-A then Tokina x2.0 (FD), then an FD to m4/3rds adapter and finally the Olympus x1.4 (MC-14). Each image is between 40 and 50 frames aligned and then stacked with Registax.

Some great magnification and detail there. What was your overall focal length?
Thanks Toby, the focal length is about 1.18 metres depending on exactly what multiplier you use for each converter (for example apparently a x1.4 is not exactly x1.4).

Last edited:
Ah, the stacking will have improved things greatly. I could never figure stacking out, as much as I love processing images when it comes to multi-layers, it seems too much of a chore [I can be a lazy sod!]

Thanks Keith, my manual Tokina 300 f/2.8 is an FD mount so I use firstly a Canon FD 1.4X-A then Tokina x2.0 (FD), then an FD to m4/3rds adapter and finally the Olympus x1.4 (MC-14). Each image is between 40 and 50 frames aligned and then stacked with Registax.

Thanks Toby, the focal length is about 1.18 metres depending on exactly what multiplier use use for each converter (for example apparently a x1.4 is not exactly x1.4).
So 1200mm pretty much :eek: I wonder if a 1.4xTC will work on the Panny 100-400mm even if it's just manual focus?

Ah, the stacking will have improved things greatly. I could never figure stacking out, as much as I love processing images when it comes to multi-layers, it seems too much of a chore [I can be a lazy sod!]
Ha ha, it's good fun not a chore :)
Anyhow it's not all in the stacking, it's also careful use of the wavelet feature in Registax that gets a good result.

Last edited:
As promised, a few pics from my test and wow with the Olympus EM1-II, 300mm f4 and 40-150mm f2.8 with 1.4xTC. On my computer they look better on Flickr, they look slightly softer on here.

P2131011
by TDG-77, on Flickr

P2130806
by TDG-77, on Flickr

P2130783
by TDG-77, on Flickr

P2130370-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

P2130032
by TDG-77, on Flickr

P2130021
by TDG-77, on Flickr

P2130011
by TDG-77, on Flickr
Stop it, stop it stop it!!! I'd just resigned myself to not maxing out the credit card for a EM1 MKII now you thrown me into turmoil again. I suppose if I sell my EM5 MkIi it'll go some way to easing the cost :)

Oh btw, great shots (y)

Stop it, stop it stop it!!! I'd just resigned myself to not maxing out the credit card for a EM1 MKII now you thrown me into turmoil again. I suppose if I sell my EM5 MkIi it'll go some way to easing the cost :)

Oh btw, great shots (y)
Lol :LOL:

Last edited:
A couple from this evening it's being a while since I went out so feel lucky this came along just as the sun was going down focus did struggle a bit but the bird did blend in with the background so not too easy for the AF OMD 1 MKII 300F4 pro 1/2000sec f4 iso 800

Rob.

P2150063.jpgP2150075.jpg

A couple from this evening it's being a while since I went out so feel lucky this came along just as the sun was going down focus did struggle a bit but the bird did blend in with the background so not too easy for the AF OMD 1 MKII 300F4 pro 1/2000sec f4 iso 800

Rob.

View attachment 237493View attachment 237494

Magic. They’re great.

I’ve just arranged a Try & WOW from my ex employers. I’ve booked a E1 mkii and 12-40 f2.8 along with a 7-14mm. Disappointed that I tried to book a 45-150, however between checking that date availability, reserving it and signing in it removed the date as available, I’m guessing it’s ‘holding’ the dates as I’d already reserved it? I’m not totally sure about the 45-150, coming from a Canon 100 -400 mm and a 500mm F4 I’m thinking I want something longer. I’ve finally come to the conclusion that lovely as my Canon 7d Mkii and 5 lenses are I’m just not using them as much as I could due to the size and weight as I get older. Anyone changed down from Canon to Olympus MFT care to share their thoughts? Also any recommendations for a long zoom, although I suspect a 300mm f4 might be bliss after a 500mm!

I’ve just arranged a Try & WOW from my ex employers. I’ve booked a E1 mkii and 12-40 f2.8 along with a 7-14mm. Disappointed that I tried to book a 45-150, however between checking that date availability, reserving it and signing in it removed the date as available, I’m guessing it’s ‘holding’ the dates as I’d already reserved it? I’m not totally sure about the 45-150, coming from a Canon 100 -400 mm and a 500mm F4 I’m thinking I want something longer. I’ve finally come to the conclusion that lovely as my Canon 7d Mkii and 5 lenses are I’m just not using them as much as I could due to the size and weight as I get older. Anyone changed down from Canon to Olympus MFT care to share their thoughts? Also any recommendations for a long zoom, although I suspect a 300mm f4 might be bliss after a 500mm!
I've just done the test and wow with the EM1-II, 40-150mm f2.8 with 1.4xTC, 300mm f4 and 12-40mm f2.8 (which I already have anyway). The 40-150mm f2.8 is a really nice lens, however comparing it my Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VRII it does fall a bit short. It is much lighter though.

The 300mm f4 on the other hand I was seriously impressed with. Fast and accurate AF with superb IQ. Sure you're not going to get your subject isolation of the 500mm f4 as the Olly lens works out at 600mm f8 in FF terms (there or there about) it's sharp wide open and if crops very well too.

I've had the Canon 100-400 MkI at some point and I think a suitable replacement could be the Panasonic 100-400 (which will give an equivalent FOV of 200-800mm). IQ is very good, but the 40-150mm f/2.8 and the 300mm f/4 will be better.

Incidentally, the Canon 100-400 was one of the reasons I decided to check out m4/3 because I almost never took it out of the house due to its size and weight. On that basis, I also didn't think it made any sense for me to save up for one of Canon's supertelephoto lenses. My initial plan was to use m4/3 for travel but the IQ and ease of use is such that I use it 95% of the time now. The only downside is shooting at super high ISO's is noisier but because of IBIS this can often be avoided (but not always).

Back