Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Thanks but I'm wanting a remote shutter note a wired one.
Depends what you mean by upgrade? In terms of functions etc then it could well be, in terms of IQ it probably won't be. What DSLR do you have?

D3400. The upgrade is aimed at better quality lens. If i up grade on a Nikon/Cannon APSC its lot bigger heavier lens and then a body will again be bigger and heavier. Portablity is key, i take my camera out with me most places i go including walking the dog. A small camera with

D3400. The upgrade is aimed at better quality lens. If i up grade on a Nikon/Cannon APSC its lot bigger heavier lens and then a body will again be bigger and heavier. Portablity is key, i take my camera out with me most places i go including walking the dog. A small camera with
I’ve been round the houses with different formats and for me m4/3 has struck the perfect balance between IQ and portability.

im considering M43 as my upgrade path from an entry level dslr, the images here are fantastic and reinforcing that thought.
trying to decide between a G80 and the additional costing G9/oly em1 II.

I've none of those , just an em5mkii. However what do you mainly want to use the camera for? You might, dependant on your interest, be better off spending more on lenses. However you should also think about why you want to move to M4/3 from your DSLR to make sure you get what you hope.

My husband and I have both the G80 and EM1, for me taking stills and nature ( squirrels, birds etc) the G80 is perfect but because my husband takes photos for local rugby club and hockey club then the EM1 is far superior for action shots. Just think what your main use of the camera will be?
I totally agree with Akr sometimes better to spend on superior lenses.

Ian had a go the other night with the EM1 Mark 1. Far more keepers than before. However, nowhere as detailed as yours but he did leave it late and the moon was too bright.

Em1 MKII arrived this morning have to say, it was smaller than I expected, which is a good thing.

What spare batteries are people buying for these, cant say I fancy spending £70 on a second battery.

What spare batteries are people buying for these, cant say I fancy spending £70 on a second battery.

I've got 2 spare ExPro's. They work fine but the camera will display a message saying Olympus batteries are preferred.

Em1 MKII arrived this morning have to say, it was smaller than I expected, which is a good thing.

I've tended to use ExPros in the past for all of my gear, but for some reason the ExPros for the EM1-II are getting mixed reviews on Amazon :oops: :$

I've tended to use ExPros in the past for all of my gear, but for some reason the ExPros for the EM1-II are getting mixed reviews on Amazon :oops: :$
Do you have to use the 3rd party charger for the Expros

So they work ok in the Olympus charger?
They did for the EM10, EM5-II and EM1, but I've not tried an ExPro for the EM1-II yet but can't see any reason why they wouldn't work.

They did for the EM10, EM5-II and EM1, but I've not tried an ExPro for the EM1-II yet but can't see any reason why they wouldn't work.
Yeah, I used Expro in my EM5 no probs but on Amazon they're saying must be charged in a third party charger.

Since last FW update my G80 has rejected my expro battery a few times, it worked fine then switched off and reinstalling the battery. Never happened prior to that fw

In this instance, they don’t work.

I decided to just pony up and get a proper battery, the good thing about the mk2 is that you will never really need more than two batteries as they last so well, unlike previous models/batteries where you might have wanted 4 to feel safe.

Not a big fan of the Northrup's, but just watched Tony Northrup's Em1 MKII guide and found it quite informative, didn't mind his presenting style either. Perhaps they were better back then.

Not a big fan of the Northrup's, but just watched Tony Northrup's Em1 MKII guide and found it quite informative, didn't mind his presenting style either. Perhaps they were better back then.

They were always a bit cheap-tv-presenter style but they were not as obnoxious or try hard controversial. I watched them myself years back for tips and tricks, but it always just felt like he was just reading the manual to you. They started to review products they had only rented for a week, the more popular they got the quicker they were running through 'reviews' as they were getting sent gear for review for free. To me they became less and less a reliable source. These days I wouldn't watch a full video of theirs if you paid me. But, if you found something in their vids that helps you, all good, doesn't matter the source.

I used to like their videos but they seem to have fallen into the trap of click bait videos like the rest of them, such as this.

I saw that video - I actually thought it was a great advert for m4/3 when he held the 600mm full frame lens and the Olympus 300mm side-to-side.

I saw that video - I actually thought it was a great advert for m4/3 when he held the 600mm full frame lens and the Olympus 300mm side-to-side.
Yep, and I can't believe he had to comment that an £11k lens gave better images than a £2k one. Odd that ;)

This doesn't do Olympus any favours though when we're talking size (comparing the 150-400mm vs 100-400mm) :eek:

https://www.43rumors.com

Yep, and I can't believe he had to comment that an £11k lens gave better images than a £2k one. Odd that ;)

Especially since he couldn't offer any definitive proof. He's a hack, he knows how to get clicks but half the time I honestly don't think he has a notion what he's on about. And I find it amusing that supposed pros, even on here, share their videos as if they were gospel and get all defensive when anyone says they cannot stand them. Same goes for Jared Polin. It's channels like these that have all the newbie vloggers and/or photographers stressing over sensor size, lightening speed AF, 4K and flappy screens. Just look at all the crying over the latest Canon RP, it's getting more hate than any M43 body ever did, and that's saying something! Why? because it doesn't do 1080p 24fps!! ... The end is nigh! whatever will 'Katybop2369' ever do?? Her 50 subscribers will never forgive her if she's forced to shoot her make up tutorial in 30fps! God I really am starting to hate 'vloggers' :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
This doesn't do Olympus any favours though when we're talking size (comparing the 150-400mm vs 100-400mm) :eek:

True, it doesnt look good, but as the article states, it is a constant aperture lens, which is always gonna be bigger than a variable aperture at the same focal length.

I used to like their videos but they seem to have fallen into the trap of click bait videos like the rest of them, such as this.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjXSnNMZ0PU&t=62s
First time I have watched that video, and I was really surprised with his attitude. He's very complimentary of the EM1.2 in his tutorial video. Won't be watching anything else by him, he really is a bit clueless.

I would think its similar to the ef 100/400 in size so as long as the EMX1 Performs I think I will get one .

Rob.

First time I have watched that video, and I was really surprised with his attitude. He's very complimentary of the EM1.2 in his tutorial video. Won't be watching anything else by him, he really is a bit clueless.

It's not the first time that he's done similar. He'll have a tutorial on whatever camera, and a few weeks later he'll have a video up showing how awful it is and something else newer is so much better. I find him a bit sleazy, like I say, reminds me of a budget morning tv presenter - they usually have the personality of a plank, they don't like anyone disagreeing with them, whether guests or viewers, and always seem a little pre-occupied, like they're bored but have to continue doing it for the pay cheque.

Couple from this morning - saw my Kingfisher! Note for future, good idea to remember your coat when setting off as standing in the cold without one for 1.5 hours can leave you a little cold (and ironically during that time I saw nothing!) - went back later with my coat! Anyway, straight OOC and first one cropped a bit. EM5mkII and 100-400 Panasonic.

20190220_124502 by alligator1975, on Flickr

Shake it
OI000752 by alligator1975, on Flickr

Sing it

OI000755 by alligator1975, on Flickr

OI000768 by alligator1975, on Flickr

True, it doesnt look good, but as the article states, it is a constant aperture lens, which is always gonna be bigger than a variable aperture at the same focal length.

Also there is no other 800mm FOV lens out there with an aperture faster than f/5.6 (to the best of my knowledge).

I really like the looks of this lens but I'm afraid it might be too heavy & too expensive for me when it gets released.

Also there is no other 800mm FOV lens out there with an aperture faster than f/5.6 (to the best of my knowledge).

I really like the looks of this lens but I'm afraid it might be too heavy & too expensive for me when it gets released.
You'll just have to get yourself the EM1X, you know you want to :LOL:

@akr great shots of the kingfisher, the robins not to shabby either (y)

Reactions: akr
Wow... When I heard about this, I had a triple dilemma... EM1X or 300mm or that. I expect it will be beyond budget. I wonder how much it will weigh - that's a deal breaker and I can't imagine it wouldn't need a tri/mono-pod- [very slow recovering shoulder]. Interesting though, what's happening, isn't it? My other system is Canon and I am hoping for the next FF after the RP emerges to be a flagship that overtakes the 1DX2. All good. :)

Aye, we've been discussing it :LOL:

I would think its similar to the ef 100/400 in size so as long as the EMX1 Performs I think I will get one .

Rob.

Back