Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Do any of you put screen protectors on your cameras, is it even possible on the EM1 EM1.2 or the EM5.2? It's something I've never done before but I managed to get a chip in the EM5.2 screen and I wanted to avoid that with my new camera. Not really sure how as I always turn it into the camera body when not in use.

Aye it's big ... no odds to me, was never buying it either way, but how does it compare to the actual equiv? Bearing in mind it's got a built in TC too

Detail in that is spot on.

I see you used ISO 800, did you use any noise reduction?
No NR applied. Light was pretty poor tbh so am happy that I salvaged some. I was shooting some at 6400 ISO with the shutter of 1/200 :(

You'll just have to get yourself the EM1X, you know you want to :LOL:

I'd love to check out the CAF on the E-M1X but I try to restrain myself from buying for at least a year after a new camera is released to avoid taking a massive hit on depreciation. I managed to hold off on the E-M1II for 16 months...

How are you finding the AF on the EM1mkIi vs the EM5mkii - isn't night and day difference and just a bit better?
No NR applied. Light was pretty poor tbh so am happy that I salvaged some. I was shooting some at 6400 ISO with the shutter of 1/200 :(

Do any of you put screen protectors on your cameras, is it even possible on the EM1 EM1.2 or the EM5.2? It's something I've never done before but I managed to get a chip in the EM5.2 screen and I wanted to avoid that with my new camera. Not really sure how as I always turn it into the camera body when not in use.

Haven't used screen protectors for any of my Olympus cameras, but I do have a Sony RX100IV with a screen protector because the Sony screens get marked incredibly easily.

Got a screen protector on my E-M1, just a generic stick on job

ooh that looks interesting!

Wow... When I heard about this, I had a triple dilemma... EM1X or 300mm or that. I expect it will be beyond budget. I wonder how much it will weigh - that's a deal breaker and I can't imagine it wouldn't need a tri/mono-pod- [very slow recovering shoulder]. Interesting though, what's happening, isn't it? My other system is Canon and I am hoping for the next FF after the RP emerges to be a flagship that overtakes the 1DX2. All good. :)
I also have a foot in both camps and am watching the Canon mirrorless developments with interest.

I use Expert Shield protectors on all my cameras now. Once applied they stay there and the touch screen still works. They make them to custom fit the model and I've applied them to the Em5ii, Em1ii and Pen F in the past. The instructions are hilarious too :ROFLMAO:

I use Expert Shield protectors on all my cameras now. Once applied they stay there and the touch screen still works. They make them to custom fit the model and I've applied them to the Em5ii, Em1ii and Pen F in the past. The instructions are hilarious too :ROFLMAO:

Are you able to fully close the screen in the reverse position with one fitted? I have something similar on my EM5ii and it prevents me doing that. Sticks out just a tiny bit.

I rarely bother with protectors on cameras, phones on the other hand ... had bad luck with cracked screens over the years because they're slippery f'ers and seem too delicate without hard covers to put in pockets ... where they're meant to go! On cameras though, never in my life had a screen get badly scratched let alone cracked. With flippy flappy screens I turn it inward when not in use, that helps just as much.

How are you finding the AF on the EM1mkIi vs the EM5mkii - isn't night and day difference and just a bit better?
Put it this way I point blank refused to use C-AF with the EM5-II but am happy with the results on the EM1-II
That's a beaut! How's your DoF with that one?
Thanks. Not sure what you mean with the question? Obviously DOF is greater than the 300mm f4 that I tried out and so it’s more difficult to get a clean background. I did blur the background out a touch more in post.

Reactions: akr
Put it this way I point blank refused to use C-AF with the EM5-II but am happy with the results on the EM1-II

Thanks - yes I tried it and have pretty much given up on it, and even moving things unless big can be difficult. Hmmm...

Are you able to fully close the screen in the reverse position with one fitted? I have something similar on my EM5ii and it prevents me doing that. Sticks out just a tiny bit.
yeah, thats what im concerned about too .

Who says you can't get detail at high ISO on m4/3? OK, took quite a bit of PP but with a bit of care I was able to get this. Clearly not the best bird photos you'll ever see, but thought they were OK for 6400 ISO (best viewed on flickr)

P2201118-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

P2201220-Edit-2
by TDG-77, on Flickr

P2201277-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Last edited:
Who says you can't get detail at high ISO on m4/3? OK, took quite a bit of PP but with a bit of care I was able to get this. Clearly not the best bird photos you'll ever see, but thought they were OK for 6400 ISO (best viewed on flickr)

Amazing result for ISO 6400! So what post-processing was needed? Noise reduction and/or something else?

Amazing result for ISO 6400! So what post-processing was needed? Noise reduction and/or something else?
Bit of global NR, then brush in a lot of NR to the background then applied sharpening to the bird in PS.

P2201118-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

P2201220-Edit-2
by TDG-77, on Flickr

P2201277-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

So I was quite pleased with my picture of my yellow hammer I took this morning until I saw yours :LOL: This is a crop on a straight out of camera jpeg, in the lovely morning light.

1/640s f/4 ISO 200 on the 300mm f/4 - massive crop!

190221085522-BC214181.jpg

P2201118-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

P2201220-Edit-2
by TDG-77, on Flickr

P2201277-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr
The first one is impressive, great shot with loads of feather detail. The other two look good two but if I zoom right in I can see an edge around the birds, still plenty of feather detail again.

The first one is impressive, great shot with loads of feather detail. The other two look good two but if I zoom right in I can see an edge around the birds, still plenty of feather detail again.
Thanks, yeah I saw that but I'm not sure what's caused it as it's there before PP :confused:

This is a massive (more than 100% crop) from the EM1 MK II using the 300mm F4. In fact the resultant crop is just 1658x1105 (so just 1.83mp !)

Not too bad considering the crop- not brilliant but I've had worse :D:D

Last edited:
Some impressive bird photos on here (y)

This is a massive (more than 100% crop) from the EM1 MK II using the 300mm F4. In fact the resultant crop is just 1658x1105 (so just 1.83mp !)

Not too bad considering the crop- not brilliant but I've had worse :D:D

Nice! I was surprised that when I did a 2:1 crop, mine still looked of reasonable quality - image wise that is, not composition! It certainly is an impressive lens.

I borrowed the 300f4 today on the WOW; it took me a little while to get used to it.Findng the birds in the sky when they weren’t the Bewick’s swans was a bit tricky but a fellow Oly owner there told me about the range finder gadget you can attach via the hot shoe. I haven’t downloaded the images yet. Food for thought.

I borrowed the 300f4 today on the WOW; it took me a little while to get used to it.Findng the birds in the sky when they weren’t the Bewick’s swans was a bit tricky but a fellow Oly owner there told me about the range finder gadget you can attach via the hot shoe. I haven’t downloaded the images yet. Food for thought.
It is a great lens. I always find it difficult finding subjects when you’re looking through a long tele lens, the 100-400mm’s even more difficult. I might think about getting the red dot sight too (y)

It is a great lens. I always find it difficult finding subjects when you’re looking through a long tele lens, the 100-400mm’s even more difficult. I might think about getting the red dot sight too (y)

If you're finding it tricky, and you feel the lens might enjoy a break away from you, send it on a little holiday to Ireland - free room and board here for it as long as it wants to stay :D

I’m after a red dot sight as well, moving subjects are quite tricky.

Seems that Olympus are offering a free "health check and sensor clean" for users at their Photography Show stall.
No idea how it works, never been before, but can imagine it will be rather popular
Might take my E-M1 along, not sure if I want to lug a camera about there all day, nice offer though

Back