Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Just had to post about the great Olympus stand at the Photography Show.
Got my EM1 mkii and 12-40 and 75-300 cleaned and checked for free by Olympus Techs on stand as did my Mrs.
We also had a good play with lenses and bodies.

I expected the EM1x to be huge and weigh a tonne.
Being honest it was bigger, but still felt good as does my EM1, the weight was not significant to feel heavy, side by side.
The camera is clearly designed for longer lens use, but nice camera it was.

The future to market 150-400 Pro zoom was something else,shame it was bright white.
The 2x convertor that will also work with the longer lenses looked like it will be interesting when release.

Nice one Olympus.

The goody bag with tee shirt, hate etc. was a nice touch.
Happy 100 Birthday to Olympus and here is to many more.
Ooh, free t-shirt and hat, wish I'd gone now ;)

They are good quality. There's a nice notebook too, and a magazine. And a lens cloth. (y)

I had an odd glitch with my EM1 mk2

I have been out using it all day (all uploaded to PC and sorting & culling et al) but when I took out the SD card and inserted another......formatting in camera AOK I found that when I switched the camera off, it would not power down!!!!

The only way was to remove the battery and reinsert it ~ all seems OK now but has anyone else had that happen???
No but I did have a funny glitch as mentioned higher up in the thread where after loading images onto computer, the top card slot wouldn't take the card and the lower one said card error. It would still take photos but not replay them. Very weird.

I'm awaiting it's return tomorrow from Olympus - hopefully it's sorted. I do remember someone else had a problem with card slots. Perhaps it is related.

You had to look up a password phrase on social media, and there were only 100 goody bags per day, I think.

End of the day yesterday, my brother tells, they (across the show sellers) were selling the E-M1 mk2 for £1099.................he grabbed one as too good saving to pass up. He also mentioned something about showing the receipt at the Olympus stand and getting something else as a gift!

No but I did have a funny glitch as mentioned higher up in the thread where after loading images onto computer, the top card slot wouldn't take the card and the lower one said card error. It would still take photos but not replay them. Very weird.

I'm awaiting it's return tomorrow from Olympus - hopefully it's sorted. I do remember someone else had a problem with card slots. Perhaps it is related.

Hope yours comes back "all good to go".

PS I hope my one off power down issue is just that, a one off!

End of the day yesterday, my brother tells, they (across the show sellers) were selling the E-M1 mk2 for £1099.................he grabbed one as too good saving to pass up. He also mentioned something about showing the receipt at the Olympus stand and getting something else as a gift!
That is a very good deal, it's like they've thrown in the £200 trade in deal plus an extra £100 at it. At that price I'd certainly be willing to pay the extra £100 to buy UK over grey at Panamoz.

Did they have the Silver EM1-II at the show? How'd it look?

According to their social media it’s a billngham bag which looks pretty cool if you bought the m1ii or mx.
Worth checking their Instagram feed as theee are people on there asking about it as they bought the cameras at the show.

I don't like Billingham bags, they remind me of school bags from the 60's :D But I'd not say no to that one. How to fake a receipt?| :thinking:

I don't like Billingham bags, they remind me of school bags from the 60's :D But I'd not say no to that one. How to fake a receipt?| :thinking:
It's not for me tbh, but I'm always up for a freebie that I can then flog to make some cash ;)

Thats impressive, lovely portrait of a stunning bird

Thanks you. It was taken at Leeds Castle in Kent. They have a few wonderful birds there https://www.leeds-castle.com/Attractions/Falconry
I cropped in with it too but think I slightly like the original one I posted.

10sdr7k.jpg

If you guys love the 45mm f1.8 then you'll REALLY love the Sigma 56mm f1.4, it's like the 45mm on steroids. Of course, it's bigger, heavier and more expensive but it still goes in the 'cheapISH' category, especially for an f1.4.

If you guys love the 45mm f1.8 then you'll REALLY love the Sigma 56mm f1.4, it's like the 45mm on steroids. Of course, it's bigger, heavier and more expensive but it still goes in the 'cheapISH' category, especially for an f1.4.

I'm still tempted, though I'm looking out for a macro lens too, also think it's time to upgrade my laptop ... which isn't where I'd love the funds to go

Oh no, you shouldn't have said that. I'm looking at it now and wondering what I could sell to fund one :)

Oh no, you shouldn't have said that. I'm looking at it now and wondering what I could sell to fund one :)
:naughty:

It's way sharper than the 45mm, has better contrast and has a teeny bit more pop imo. It's still a small light lens, but not pocketable like the 45mm, especially with the lens hood on (even reversed). Also, it's a bit of an odd focal length, although overall I prefer the compression of the longer focal length.

Here's a comparison of the sharpness, original pic and then 1:1, all SOOC JPEGs. Focus was on the same point for both shots, and I did move forward when shooting with the 45mm to get the same framing.

Screen Shot 2019-03-20 at 13.24.55
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Screen Shot 2019-03-20 at 13.26.10
by TDG-77, on Flickr

I don't think I need to say which one's which ;)

Last edited:
:naughty:

It's way sharper than the 45mm, has better contrast and has a teeny bit more pop imo. It's still a small light lens, but not pocketable like the 45mm, especially with the lens hood on (even reversed). Also, it's a bit of an odd focal length, although overall I prefer the compression of the longer focal length.

Here's a comparison of the sharpness, original pic and then 1:1, all SOOC JPEGs. Focus was on the same point for both shots, and I did move forward when shooting with the 45mm to get the same framing.

Screen Shot 2019-03-20 at 13.24.55
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Screen Shot 2019-03-20 at 13.26.10
by TDG-77, on Flickr

I don't think I need to say which one's which ;)

I've been watching youtube videos on it. I have the Sigma 60mm too but this 56mm f1.4 is a bit wow (y)

I've been watching youtube videos on it. I have the Sigma 60mm too but this 56mm f1.4 is a bit wow (y)

In one of the vids I seen the guy compared it to the 60mm 2.8 and his tests showed the 60 to be sharper in the corners at 2.8, I can't remember if that was on APSC though. The 60mm is a right bargain, incredibly sharp lens, but I ended up mostly using it with attachments for macro, couldn't find enough use for it otherwise - that's what holds me back on the 56mm. The advantage of 2 stops of light + weather sealing and the fact it's sharp at 1.4 at least in the centre are enough to justify it's price, if I knew I would make good use of it.

In one of the vids I seen the guy compared it to the 60mm 2.8 and his tests showed the 60 to be sharper in the corners at 2.8, I can't remember if that was on APSC though. The 60mm is a right bargain, incredibly sharp lens, but I ended up mostly using it with attachments for macro, couldn't find enough use for it otherwise - that's what holds me back on the 56mm. The advantage of 2 stops of light + weather sealing and the fact it's sharp at 1.4 at least in the centre are enough to justify it's price, if I knew I would make good use of it.

I have the Sigma 60mm and 30mm on my Sony A6000. When I got my em10 mk2 the first lens I bought was that Sigma 60mm.
I could maybe sell some Sigma lenses but I love them too much. I'll see what other things I could sell. I know it would seem silly having the 60 and a new 56mm but right at this moment I couldn't let it go. I would find a use for it if I had both :)

Really happy to have my Em1ii and 3 lenses back from their service. If I hadn't been on holiday it would have been less than a week they were away - very impressive. The card slot has been replaced in the camera and everything has come back pristine.
I thought I had scratched the coating on my 12-40 lens trying to attach a lens cap in the dark. It has come back looking like new. Very happy. :banana:

Posted this in the Fuji X-H1 thread, but thought it might be interesting to a few here - I've added a few extra bits for clarity in case some reading this aren't Fuji experts (which I know I'm not). We keep hearing that everything about M4/3 is inferior to APS-C which in turn is inferior to full frame etc., but I have to say, this really surprised me.

"Used my Fujifilm X-H1 with a combination of 100-400 and 40-150 at the Zoo with friends on Sunday, and have to say I was left feeling a little disappointing. Love the handling of this camera, but it, combined with the 100-400 in particular gave me no end of slightly soft shots.

It was overcast and slightly drizzly, but even so, the 100-400 hunted back and forth quite badly and in a continuous low burst of say 5 shots, only one would be tack sharp with the rest either slightly soft or really just out of focus. I've used long lenses for many years so I know my techniques not too bad, and despite the conditions and high ISO, my shutter speeds never dropped below 1/250" (with lens and body I/S set to on). Worst of all was when shooting animals though a fence, where the camera would continuously focus on the fence not the subject beyond, despite me manually focusing on the animal first (god it takes a lot of turning the focus ring on the 100-400 to rack the focus back out manually). I tried pretty much all of the AF-C custom settings (1-5) and nothing seemed to be much better than the last. Maybe operator error ? The 50-140 F2.8 was slightly better but even that sometimes missed. Don't get me wrong, when it did nail focus, the SOOC Jpeg were fabulous, even at 6400 ISO.

I then swapped the camera out for my new Olympus EM1X with the 300mm F4 (and occasionally the 40-150 F2.8), and every (and i mean every) shot was tack sharp with instantaneous focus - just bang !. Obviously at the higher ISO's (e.g. 6400) the X-H1 bettered the Olympus for noise control - just, but even so the Olympus jpegs were eminently usable and not that much worse (maybe half a stop). I've seen this behaviour before when shooting birds. In anything other than perfect light I find that long lens photography is quite frustrating on the X-H1 compared to the little Olympus's, (EM1X and EM1 MK II), with the AF lock on (in any conditions) on the Olympus pro lenses being pretty much instant. The biggest thing I noticed was even when the X-H1 acquired perfect focus, the time it took for the lens (100-400) to focus from something relatively near to say 20 m away, took a good couple of seconds - the lens just doesn't seem that quick, whereas no matter where you focus using the 300mm F4 or the 40-150 F2.8, the AF is lightning quick - maybe the Olympus system has spoilt me.

I wish now I'd taken the X-T3 to give that a work out instead of the X-H1, as in my (albeit limited) experience, the AF is a fair bit quicker and more accurate. For portraits and landscapes, the X-H1 is a superb beast, but I don't think I'll be using it anymore for anything wildlife related, think I'll stick to the Olympus. Guess there's a limit to what Fuji can do via firmware to improve essentially the X-T2 AF system from over 2 years ago."

Last edited:
Posted this in the Fuji X-H1 thread, but thought it might be interesting to a few here - I've added a few extra bits for clarity in case some reading this aren't Fuji experts (which I know I'm not). We keep hearing that everything about M4/3 is inferior to APS-C which in turn is inferior to full frame etc., but I have to say, this really surprised me.

"Used my Fujifilm X-H1 with a combination of 100-400 and 40-150 at the Zoo with friends on Sunday, and have to say I was left feeling a little disappointing. Love the handling of this camera, but it, combined with the 100-400 in particular gave me no end of slightly soft shots.

It was overcast and slightly drizzly, but even so, the 100-400 hunted back and forth quite badly and in a continuous low burst of say 5 shots, only one would be tack sharp with the rest either slightly soft or really just out of focus. I've used long lenses for many years so I know my techniques not too bad, and despite the conditions and high ISO, my shutter speeds never dropped below 1/250" (with lens and body I/S set to on). Worst of all was when shooting animals though a fence, where the camera would continuously focus on the fence not the subject beyond, despite me manually focusing on the animal first (god it takes a lot of turning the focus ring on the 100-400 to rack the focus back out manually). I tried pretty much all of the AF-C custom settings (1-5) and nothing seemed to be much better than the last. Maybe operator error ? The 50-140 F2.8 was slightly better but even that sometimes missed. Don't get me wrong, when it did nail focus, the SOOC Jpeg were fabulous, even at 6400 ISO.

I then swapped the camera out for my new Olympus EM1X with the 300mm F4 (and occasionally the 40-150 F2.8), and every (and i mean every) shot was tack sharp with instantaneous focus - just bang !. Obviously at the higher ISO's (e.g. 6400) the X-H1 bettered the Olympus for noise control - just, but even so the Olympus jpegs were eminently usable and not that much worse (maybe half a stop). I've seen this behaviour before when shooting birds. In anything other than perfect light I find that long lens photography is quite frustrating on the X-H1 compared to the little Olympus's, (EM1X and EM1 MK II), with the AF lock on (in any conditions) on the Olympus pro lenses being pretty much instant. The biggest thing I noticed was even when the X-H1 acquired perfect focus, the time it took for the lens (100-400) to focus from something relatively near to say 20 m away, took a good couple of seconds - the lens just doesn't seem that quick, whereas no matter where you focus using the 300mm F4 or the 40-150 F2.8, the AF is lightning quick - maybe the Olympus system has spoilt me.

I wish now I'd taken the X-T3 to give that a work out instead of the X-H1, as in my (albeit limited) experience, the AF is a fair bit quicker and more accurate. For portraits and landscapes, the X-H1 is a superb beast, but I don't think I'll be using it anymore for anything wildlife related, think I'll stick to the Olympus. Guess there's a limit to what Fuji can do via firmware to improve essentially the X-T2 AF system from over 2 years ago."

I'd love to see some side by side images at higher ISO between the XH1 and your Em1x, just for curiosity sake. I've always liked Fuji but I'm not going without IBIS again I don't think - If I ever switched back it'll be an XH1. The Em1x is probably about the fastest M43 camera ever, it would probably be fairer to the H1 to pit it against the likes of a GH5

I'm still tempted, though I'm looking out for a macro lens too, also think it's time to upgrade my laptop ... which isn't where I'd love the funds to go
I thought you were looking to scratch that full-frame itch?

I thought you were looking to scratch that full-frame itch?

I probably always will be! But gear isn't selling at the moment, that had to happen first. I'm a realist and figure may as well give my current gear more of a chance before letting it go for peanuts. Buying a FF body is the easy bit, it's the lenses I'd want to go with holds me right back. I was eyeing an a7r2 but it's not the perfect option either. Further research informed me that it can be very sluggish when previewing images or zooming in to check focus - as in up to 5 seconds lag! That's really no good to me when I'd like to use vintage lenses on there a lot and I need to be zoom focusing constantly

Last edited:
Calling up he magnified view to focus before shooting should be pretty much instantaneous. You should surely only see any lag when pressing the zoom button to zoom in whilst reviewing pictures. I'd be very surprised if this isn't the case.

Calling up he magnified view to focus before shooting should be pretty much instantaneous. You should surely only see any lag when pressing the zoom button to zoom in whilst reviewing pictures. I'd be very surprised if this isn't the case.

Will have to check back over the reviews I read but I'm sure they mentioned it can lag when zoom focusing too. It would be more severe when previewing though, I did experience this a bit with the D800 - that was 36mp, so 42mp is pushing even more about. I've read a tonne about the camera, really was interested but alas ... nobody wants to buy my gear and I can't have both. Seems a real bad time for trying to sell on, there's even an XT3 in classified a few weeks at this stage.

Back