Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Went to Castle Combe at the weekend for the classic bike racing and the EM5MK2 is awful with the blackout from the shutter and LCD.

Got far better shots with my new (to me) Pentax K3ii.

Stupidly I didn't remember to try the electronic shutter with the Oly.

I'm sure it would have been better.

Skegness ?

Is there a way to see what focus point was used ? I cant find it in viewer 3 .
Thanks
Rob.

Sorry Terry No - it was just a question to see if you can check where the focus point was on the computer when you get home from a shoot.
Rob.

Sorry Terry No - it was just a question to see if you can check where the focus point was on the computer when you get home from a shoot.
Rob.
I don't think so, the only plugins I'm aware of only work for Canon, Nikon and some Sony's :( The only way I know how to see the focus point used is in camera on the display with the little separate colour histograms.

Thanks I will stop looking for it :) as you say Canon files show it .
Rob.

That's weird, I thought I'd seen it but can't find it in OV3 or Workspace.
You'd think it was a simple and useful feature to help you work out why a shot wasn't right - odd that you can only see it on the camera where the screen is tiny!

My 40-150mm f2.8's arrived today, really nice lens and a lot lighter than my Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 ;) I be giving it a good test at the London Marathon in a couple of weeks, I'm interested to see how it fairs against the D850 and 70-200mm combo which I'm also taking (y)

Thanks, it's not important I just assumed all cameras had the software to show it .
Rob

I use an app on my Mac called EXIF app by Softmatic. Amongst other things, it shows where you focused on both RAW and jpeg files from Olympus. I paid for it, but I don't think it was expensive.
Does that plugin in to Lightroom or is it a standalone piece of software that you have to load photos in to?

Guys, I'm looking for a camera for my wife so she can take photos of the grandkids etc.
Ive been looking at the lumix gx80 but She likes the look of the em-d10 mk2.
I've got a Panasonic G80 and was thinking she could "borrow" my lenses.
Any issues using Panasonic lenses on this body?
Anything to be aware of or consider with this body?
Cheers

Guys, I'm looking for a camera for my wife so she can take photos of the grandkids etc.
Cheers
No issue using panny lenses on Olly bodies, you just won’t get the inbuilt correction adjustments I don’t believe. Never bothered me, plus you can make these adjustments manually in lightroom etc if you want.

Cheers

I think the only thing is she will not have dual IS but the EM10 MK11 is good anyway.

Cheers

The E-M10II is a great choice. IQ is as good as any of the 16 megapixel bodies; the only drawback is it doesn't have weather-sealing, but the upside of that is that it's the lightest body in the line-up.

No real issues with using Panasonic lenses AFAIK. When I want to have a light setup, I usually put one of the Panasonic kit lenses on one of my Olympus bodies.

The Oly omd Em10 and Em5 series are nice looking cameras for sure. When I'd just got my Em5 I still had the Fuji XT-1, I brought both to a dinner party as I was assigned, as per usual to be the photo-taker for the day. Nobody paid any heed to the Fuji, but everytime I shot with the em5 I had someone inquire about it or want to 'have a go'. It was the Silver version of course, I found non-photo peeps to be attracted to silver lined cameras, my XT1 was all black and boring to them

If you do get her the em10 mkII, get the silver one, it can spark up photography discussions just from it's slick looks :)

Last edited:
The Oly omd Em10 and Em5 series are nice looking cameras for sure. When I'd just got my Em5 I still had the Fuji XT-1, I brought both to a dinner party as I was assigned, as per usual to be the photo-taker for the day. Nobody paid any heed to the Fuji, but everytime I shot with the em5 I had someone inquire about it or want to 'have a go'. It was the Silver version of course, I found non-photo peeps to be attracted to silver lined cameras, my XT1 was all black and boring to them

If you do get her the em10 mkII, get the silver one, it can spark up photography discussions just from it's slick looks :)
I still prefer the Silver versions of the ollies even though I’ve now got a black EM1-II. In fact I prefer the Silver versions of the Fuji’s too, and the Nikon DF.

I still prefer the Silver versions of the ollies even though I’ve now got a black EM1-II. In fact I prefer the Silver versions of the Fuji’s too, and the Nikon DF.

They really are a good looking camera with the silver trims, they ooze retro while still having a modern edge about them. If I was choosing on looks alone I'd definitely have an em 10 mkII/III, but here I am with one of the most boring looking Pany bodies :D functionality getting in the way ... boooo

Does that plugin in to Lightroom or is it a standalone piece of software that you have to load photos in to?

It’s stand alone. You drag and drop your photos from finder or I think you can browse to get them. There are plugins for Lightroom I believe, and also some freeware for windows, photome?

I don’t use it all that often, but it’s useful if I’m trying to look at the exif on someone else’s image, or to check where the focus point was.

I can post a screenshot of what you get if you’re interested.

Cheers

I think it's a great camera - I had the mk1 originally but got the mk2 last year for travel as it's pretty ( jacket ) pocketable with the 12-32 and BCL. I'm thinking of getting rid of mine as I probably only use it a couple of times a year now

Edit - oh, I see you're looking for silver which is a shame

It’s stand alone. You drag and drop your photos from finder or I think you can browse to get them. There are plugins for Lightroom I believe, and also some freeware for windows, photome?

I don’t use it all that often, but it’s useful if I’m trying to look at the exif on someone else’s image, or to check where the focus point was.

I can post a screenshot of what you get if you’re interested.
Thanks. I have the plugins for Lightroom but they don't work for Olympus :(

I think it's a great camera - I had the mk1 originally but got the mk2 last year for travel as it's pretty ( jacket ) pocketable with the 12-32 and BCL. I'm thinking of getting rid of mine as I probably only use it a couple of times a year now

Edit - oh, I see you're looking for silver which is a shame
@damianmkv How much would you be looking for?

Last edited:
I’ve been looking at the 60mm f2.8 macro lens and am a bit confused about the spec as it says maximum magnification is 1.0x m4/3 format, 2.0x 35mm format.

So does this mean at 60mm (120mm eq) you would get double the magnifcation you would get using a 120mm 1:1 macro on FF, or after all conversions you get a 120mm FOV image with 1:1 magnification?

I’ve been looking at the 60mm f2.8 macro lens and am a bit confused about the spec as it says maximum magnification is 1.0x m4/3 format, 2.0x 35mm format.

So does this mean at 60mm (120mm eq) you would get double the magnifcation you would get using a 120mm 1:1 macro on FF, or after all conversions you get a 120mm FOV image with 1:1 magnification?

The way I see it is 1:1 is 1:1 no matter the sensor, as the M43 sensor is smaller your subject [say a fly] will fill that space more so but I don't think that changes the magnification. Basically, if you dropped a fly onto the sensor, that is how much it will fill it at 1:1, drop the same fly on a FF sensor and it won't fill the frame, there will be a lot of space left over but I think the magnification remains the same? I don't stress over this when doing macro, just go with whatever sensor I'm using at the time. It is much easier to fill up the frame shooting macro with M43 is all I know. What you do get for certain is twice the DOF - that area nobody really talks about. We have the advantage in this area, as stopping down to F8 gives us the equiv DOF of F16 on FF, but we're not hitting dodgy diffraction levels so fast and getting twice the light. And doing extreme close up work you appreciate all the DOF you can get, even still it's razor thin

Last edited:
The way I see it is 1:1 is 1:1 no matter the sensor, as the M43 sensor is smaller your subject [say a fly] will fill that space more so but I don't think that changes the magnification. Basically, if you dropped a fly onto the sensor, that is how much it will fill it at 1:1, drop the same fly on a FF sensor and it won't fill the frame, there will be a lot of space left over but I think the magnification remains the same? I don't stress over this when doing macro, just go with whatever sensor I'm using at the time. It is much easier to fill up the frame shooting macro with M43 is all I know. What you do get for certain is twice the DOF - that area nobody really talks about. We have the advantage in this area, as stopping down to F8 gives us the equiv DOF of F16 on FF, but we're not hitting dodgy diffraction levels so fast and getting twice the light. And doing extreme close up work you appreciate all the DOF you can get, even still it's razor thin
But that’s kind of the thing I’m trying to figure out, ie DOF. I currently have the Sigma 105mm Macro for my D850 and working distance is 30cm. The working distance of the Olympus is ‘only’ 19cm, so any DOF advantage of the format difference is negated by the camera to subject distance. However, if the Olly gives you a 2:1 magnification (in terms of the final image) then you could in fact be further away from the subject to get a 1:1 final image and therefore increase the DOF.

But that’s kind of the thing I’m trying to figure out, ie DOF. I currently have the Sigma 105mm Macro for my D850 and working distance is 30cm. The working distance of the Olympus is ‘only’ 19cm, so any DOF advantage of the format difference is negated by the camera to subject distance. However, if the Olly gives you a 2:1 magnification (in terms of the final image) then you could in fact be further away from the subject to get a 1:1 final image and therefore increase the DOF.

I'm pretty sure the Oly is just 1:1, or it would be marketed as a 2:1 and be much more attractive to serious macro photographers - as is many add on macro rings or the an achromatic lens like a Raynox to increase magnification using it. I've seen this in the macro section on here, the crazy macro guys for whom 1:1 is merely a starting point :D I'm not sure the difference is negated so much as the Sigma is a longer FL to begin with which also narrows the DOF.

Doesn't the 60mm have a 1:1 switch for it's closest focusing?

Why not just use the Sigma with an adapter? for serious macro you will be manual focusing anyway. Greater working distance is very nice. I've used some macro set ups where the lens was almost touching the subject, not ideal for skittish bugs ... or indeed ones that sting!

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the Oly is just 1:1, or it would be marketed as a 2:1 and be much more attractive to serious macro photographers - as is many add on macro rings or the an achromatic lens like a Raynox to increase magnification using it. I've seen this in the macro section on here, the crazy macro guys for whom 1:1 is merely a starting point :D I'm not sure the difference is negated so much as the Sigma is a longer FL to begin with which also narrows the DOF.

Doesn't the 60mm have a 1:1 switch for it's closest focusing?

Why not just use the Sigma with an adapter? for serious macro you will be manual focusing anyway. Greater working distance is very nice. I've used some macro set ups where the lens was almost touching the subject, not ideal for skittish bugs ... or indeed ones that sting!
It would make sense that it’s ‘only’ 1:1 after all conversions, but then I’m less interested tbh. The close working distance is not ideal for the reason you state, plus it decreases DOF.

I thought about adapting the Sigma but I was looking at weight saving, I think it’s something like 770g bs 185g.

Was was thinking £195 for the body only, it was bought in June 2018 from SRS

If you’re interested I’ll start a thread in the classifieds tomorrow
Is it boxed etc? Does it come with a battery/charger?
Any idea of shutter count?
It will be up to my wife tbh as it's for her.
Cheers

Back