Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Don't know if anyone will find this interesting, this guy uses long Canon lenses on MF this thread shows his EM10 results.

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/manual-focus-tele-lens-techniques-for-birds-and-bifs.89712/

He uses a few different cameras but only in MF, the mechanical shutter in his original EM1 failed so he took it out and uses E shutter, a link to his Flickr page.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124733969@N06/albums/with/72157649351500809

Even before my downhill slide I was never this good, my reactions now would turn it into a joke if I tried.

I have nowhere near me to try a E-M1ii so I'd be interested in your opinion. Love the M5ii though so I can't see why I wouldn't like it. Just wish the Olympus menu system wasn't such a pain to navigate through.
First off I took the chance to have a look at the camera yesterday as the shop was close to the hospital where I had just spent 4 hours undergoing tests on my heart , and being pumped full of drugs didn’t put me in the right frame of mind for a thorough look ..
But my initial thoughts were , it’s a nice solid build ,has a flip screen and was neither to big or to small for my big mutt hands . The one thing I did like is the grip it extends forwards nicely and felt really comfortable to hold .. as the camera had a lens attached I couldn’t really assess the body weight ,but as I will be using it initially with the P/ Leica 100-400 it’s obviously going to be lighter than my sigma C 150-600 .. I’m as you can guess pretty well hooked on this idea as my dodgy ticker is making lugging round a even moderate weight rig a chore .

got a mate popping down in a bit to view my sigma lens ,if that goes its full steam ahead

I have nowhere near me to try a E-M1ii so I'd be interested in your opinion. Love the M5ii though so I can't see why I wouldn't like it. Just wish the Olympus menu system wasn't such a pain to navigate through.
I loved my EM5.2 too and really wasnt sure about the Em1.2 but I haveto say its an excellent camera. Yes, it is bigger than the EM5 but I was surprised when it arrived just how compact it was. The grip is excellent too and made it very comfortable to use. As much as I am enjoying my EM10.2 I miss my EM1.2 and hoping the day I can purchase another is soon here. Maybe I should start a GoFundMe :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I loved my EM5.2 too and really wasnt sure about the Em1.2 but I haveto say its an excellent camera. Yes, it is bigger than the EM5 but I was surprised when it arrived just how compact it was. The grip is excellent too and made it very comfortable to use. As much as I am enjoying my EM10.2 I miss my EM1.2 and hoping the day I can purchase another is soon here. Maybe I should start a GoFundMe :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I thought about starting a crowd funding page but I don't think being skint is considered serious enough to justify it somehow lol!

got a mate popping down in a bit to view my sigma lens ,if that goes its full steam ahead
Well that’s gone at asking price ,just the D7200 body left unless some one local buys it tonight it’s going in for a p.x in the morning . All things being equal I should have the new body tomorrow . .. that didn’t take long did it

Well that’s gone at asking price ,just the D7200 body left unless some one local buys it tonight it’s going in for a p.x in the morning . All things being equal I should have the new body tomorrow . .. that didn’t take long did it

Good news, if you download the manual make sure you get the 3.1 firmware version, it has the new focus settings in.

The main problem with Panasonic is not the files its the lack of Phase detect AF, ok it has DFD which is better than plain Contrast AF but falls short for things like birds in flight.
Dont get me wrong the G9 can catch BIF but the hit rate is very low and if the subject is small against a busy background the chances are the focusing will lock on the background, i spent a few months on the G9 convinced it was a user error but in the end gave up.

A couple from the G9 and 100-400. when it worked but as i say the miss rate was too high.

P1004643 by electric.mike, on Flickr

P1004850 by electric.mike, on Flickr

One from the Olympus using the new firmware update.

P8060106 by electric.mike, on Flickr

I agree about the phase detection but if I was comparing a G9 (which I'm not) i'd choose an aps//FF body instead

The more the 1X price drops the more tempting it gets, i must remember the facts though and why i moved to m4/3

Olympus-OM-D-E-M1X-vs-Olympus-OM-D-E-M1-Mark-II-size-comparison.jpg

If i was going to that i think the D500 would be back in my bag

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
The more the 1X price drops the more tempting it gets, i must remember the facts though and why i moved to m4/3

View attachment 253955

View attachment 253956

Ah! but remember it is not all just about the body when it comes to total bulk & weight....... without the lens there is no camera ;)

But yes...... depending on the price the added handleability and improved functionality of the 1X has its attraction. Though I would be more tempted to have a second E-M1MK2 to avoid lens changes :). But of course that means a new larger bag!!!!!?

I,ll be getting mine from LCE and just noticed thanks to mikes linky that as well as the 30 mm macro it comes with 5 year warranty . Sounds cool to me

I,ll be getting mine from LCE and just noticed thanks to mikes linky that as well as the 30 mm macro it comes with 5 year warranty . Sounds cool to me

Good idea to lighten the load considering your recent health issues, hope you enjoy it :) look forward to seeing what you do with it on Flickr

Good news, if you download the manual make sure you get the 3.1 firmware version, it has the new focus settings in.
mike do you have a link to it please .

mike do you have a link to it please .
Allow me ;)

All available on this page
https://cs.olympus-imaging.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/manual/pen.cfm

The will be an addenda that covers the current changes/update :)

From page 196 onwards covers firmware v3

Edit~ this page details what changes have been made at each firmware update. v3.1 did not add to functions....... that was v3.0 as covered in the manual ;)
http://dl01.olympus-imaging.com/ww/ud2/ENU/0001/1250/index31a.html

Lastly, page about steps to update firmware
https://cs.olympus-imaging.jp/en/su...wnload/software/camera/cameraupdate_setbk.cfm

PS enjoy your new gear, it will have its learning curve....... but enjoy it and the reduced weight burden :)

Last edited:
Im interested to know what the EM1X gives you over the D500 for the extra £500 quid

Not a lot possibly, as said above the longer lenses are lighter, the crop factor, not worked it out but i think it would give more pixels on the subject than the D500 cropped, for most things i prefer the EVF over OVF.

One or two owners have said that although the EM11 firmware update still left the EM1X better it was now that close they would have given more thought as to should they upgrade.

He'll sell it in a few months and buy something else...:)
You never know bob .. this move though is not motivated by the need or desire for improvements though but purely and simply to reduce the weight of gear I have to carry around .. I already have the PL 100-400 and know how good it is ... and I will have to take it as read the the new camera does as stated and shown by members on here.. whereas in the past I have changed due to trying to keep ahead of the game this time it’s down to realising my body is not 100% efficient and will never work that well again .. had a major heart scan Thursday and another needed next Thursday and possibly more stents fitted at a later date .. times running out and I want to enjoy what’s left

You never know bob .. this move though is not motivated by the need or desire for improvements though but purely and simply to reduce the weight of gear I have to carry around .. I already have the PL 100-400 and know how good it is ... and I will have to take it as read the the new camera does as stated and shown by members on here.. whereas in the past I have changed due to trying to keep ahead of the game this time it’s down to realising my body is not 100% efficient and will never work that well again .. had a major heart scan Thursday and another needed next Thursday and possibly more stents fitted at a later date .. times running out and I want to enjoy what’s left

It was tongue in cheek, I realise your reasons are different this time.
I'm sure it will be great.
Just need to get used to the olympus menus:)

But you really need to handle an EM1X in the hand for more than a few seconds, to appreciate its superb ergonomics and handling. She really is a beaut, and feels much smaller and lighter than it actually is.

View attachment 253955

View attachment 253956
TBH when I used the EM1X it instantly felt bigger and heavier than the EM1-II, it's practically the same weight as the D850. I personally preferred using the EM1-II even with the 300mm f4.
Im interested to know what the EM1X gives you over the D500 for the extra £500 quid
Olympus have a lot of tricks up their sleeves in terms of features that the D500 doesn't. Class leading IBIS, Handheld hi-res, Live composite, In built ND filter to name but a few, faster frame rate to name a few.

Whether these features are worth it to the individual is a different matter, but in terms of tech inside the EM1x does offer a lot more. The D500 still has slightly better AF, and if nit picking will provide a smidge better IQ.

TBH when I used the EM1X it instantly felt bigger and heavier than the EM1-II, it's practically the same weight as the D850. I personally preferred using the EM1-II even with the 300mm f4.
Olympus have a lot of tricks up their sleeves in terms of features that the D500 doesn't. Class leading IBIS, Handheld hi-res, Live composite, In built ND filter to name but a few, faster frame rate to name a few.

Whether these features are worth it to the individual is a different matter, but in terms of tech inside the EM1x does offer a lot more. The D500 still has slightly better AF, and if nit picking will provide a smidge better IQ.

Thanks
I knew all that
570468282d5ce15d740106535b61f533.gif

Just forget it, well thats my story ;)

It was tongue in cheek, I realise your reasons are different this time.
I'm sure it will be great.
Just need to get used to the olympus menus:)

I felt i never would get used to them, not sure i am fully into them now but have sorted the bits i need and use the super control panel most of the time.
The biggest confusion i found at the start was the feeling Olympus had hidden some things, that makes more sense now.

I felt i never would get used to them, not sure i am fully into them now but have sorted the bits i need and use the super control panel most of the time.
The biggest confusion i found at the start was the feeling Olympus had hidden some things, that makes more sense now.
I bought an em10ii for my wife. I love the styling/retro look and thought I could use it as a second body along with my G80, but the menus were so so different, and more complex it put me off.
If I end up at some point with an em1ii I'd need to spend time getting used to it etc,
I've got my G80 set up with a quick menu button for everything i need, and daresay the em10ii could be set up the same.
When I tried the 10ii I noticed when I changed settings, it wasn't showing me the changes in the evf like it did in my G80.
It took a lot of searching and reading the manual etc before i discovered what it was called and how to turn it on, whereas I've never had to look at the manual for my G80.

I've read that though the Panasonic's focus system is not quite as good as the Olympus one in the em1ii, it supposedly works better with the Panasonic lenses, than using the 100-400 on the Olympus.
Not sure if that's true?

I already have the g80 and pl-100-400 bob and previously had a Olympus omd10-mkii so hopefully sliding into the system won't be that difficult (says he with trepidation) . also still have a MFT to m42 and a MFT to Nikon adaptor so might be time to build my MF lens collection up again down to 1 now from 11 at one point .. and although 95% certain on this purchase I could still walk out with a G9

I grant you IBIS is rather good however everything else youve mentioned is pretty useless for moving subjects. I'd like someone to publish a comparison review of M43/APS cameras photographing wildlife in low light, low contrast situations and recording the hit rate of sharp images.

I've read that though the Panasonic's focus system is not quite as good as the Olympus one in the em1ii, it supposedly works better with the Panasonic lenses, than using the 100-400 on the Olympus.
Not sure if that's true?
I found that to be true with an improvement in sharpness but only slightly. But this may be down to body variance?

Last edited:
I bought an em10ii for my wife. I love the styling/retro look and thought I could use it as a second body along with my G80, but the menus were so so different, and more complex it put me off.
If I end up at some point with an em1ii I'd need to spend time getting used to it etc,
I've got my G80 set up with a quick menu button for everything i need, and daresay the em10ii could be set up the same.
When I tried the 10ii I noticed when I changed settings, it wasn't showing me the changes in the evf like it did in my G80.
It took a lot of searching and reading the manual etc before i discovered what it was called and how to turn it on, whereas I've never had to look at the manual for my G80.

Not sure if that's true?

One reason could be that owners often fail to fine-tune the focus on the Olympus for AFC, they forget they are using Phase detect the same principle as a DSLR

I already have the g80 and pl-100-400 bob and previously had a Olympus omd10-mkii so hopefully sliding into the system won't be that difficult (says he with trepidation) . also still have a MFT to m42 and a MFT to Nikon adaptor so might be time to build my MF lens collection up again down to 1 now from 11 at one point .. and although 95% certain on this purchase I could still walk out with a G9

I came to the conclusion i got better AFC results with my G80, i also came to the conclusion Panasonic had put too many owner adjustments in for focus settings, you may be able to get it fairly good for one type of subject but swing round on another and the settings may not be the best.
Just my thoughts after using it but the G80 was as good as DFD gets on moving subjects.

I grant you IBIS is rather good however everything else youve mentioned is pretty useless for moving subjects. I'd like someone to publish a comparison review of M43/APS cameras photographing wildlife in low light, low contrast situations and recording the hit rate of sharp images.

I dont see why the right DSLR and lens shouldn't IMO be better than m4/3 in less than perfect conditions, not sure its a good idea to buy into m4/3 if you're looking for D500 performance.

Last edited:

Obviously, everyone wants something different, i got wooed by things like the EVF and the feel of the G9 plus my dealer getting a better kickback from Panasonic.

I dont see why the right DSLR and lens shouldn't IMO be better than m4/3 in less than perfect conditions, not sure its a good idea to buy into m4/3 if you're looking for D500 performance.
I agree Mike, however I find it laughable when Fanboys post images (referring to another site) from M4/3 and state its a superb image, when one can clearly see an abundance of noise and no detail. I think it is unfair to compare M4/3 with the D500 as it cannot compete in wildlife in my opinion, however I haven't had the opportunity to trial something like the D7500.

I agree Mike, however I find it laughable when Fanboys post images (referring to another site) from M4/3 and state its a superb image, when one can clearly see an abundance of noise and no detail. I think it is unfair to compare M4/3 with the D500 as it cannot compete in wildlife in my opinion, however I haven't had the opportunity to trial something like the D7500.

We have to be careful not to use blanket statements, its like a sigma lens against a Nikon lens, a lot of the time no one would tell the difference, start pushing it though and you may, i know what your talking about i think to my self why do they present large noisy images, it does nothing for m4/3

Back