Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

We have to be careful not to use blanket statements, its like a sigma lens against a Nikon lens, a lot of the time no one would tell the difference, start pushing it though and you may, i know what your talking about i think to my self why do they present large noisy images, it does nothing for m4/3
Its my opinion from what I've experienced and witnessed, if anyone wishes to take it as a blanket statement it's up to them. I take your earlier post as insinuating similar thought although not so direct (i may be wrong?) but I cant be bothered skirting around the edges.

oh well right or wrong the deed is now done , and I'm the happy owner of a omd1-mkii .. got a better than expected trade in on the d7200 plus the prices go up shortly to and I get the 30mm macro f.o.c and 5 years warranty just got to go through all the paperwork now and then charge the camera up

oh well right or wrong the deed is now done , and I'm the happy owner of a omd1-mkii .. got a better than expected trade in on the d7200 plus the prices go up shortly to and I get the 30mm macro f.o.c and 5 years warranty just got to go through all the paperwork now and then charge the camera up

Well done mate

Its a very nice camera Jeff I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Rob.

I grant you IBIS is rather good however everything else youve mentioned is pretty useless for moving subjects. I'd like someone to publish a comparison review of M43/APS cameras photographing wildlife in low light, low contrast situations and recording the hit rate of sharp images.

I found that to be true with an improvement in sharpness but only slightly. But this may be down to body variance?
But that's not what you asked, you asked why the EM1x was more expensive than the D500. All that tech comes at a cost (y)
I agree Mike, however I find it laughable when Fanboys post images (referring to another site) from M4/3 and state its a superb image, when one can clearly see an abundance of noise and no detail. I think it is unfair to compare M4/3 with the D500 as it cannot compete in wildlife in my opinion, however I haven't had the opportunity to trial something like the D7500.
I get your point, but there's nothing wrong with saying that m4/3 images are superb, some are. Could you have got a better image with a D500, or even a FF shot? Possibly, possibly not. I have the Z7 (previous D850) and EM1-II and for wildlife I am getting equally as good images from my EM1-II and 100-400mm Panny lens as I did with my D850 and 150-600mm lens, and that's with the 100-400mm wide open and the 150-600mm stopped down to f8.

Where M4/3 can't compare is noise handling (as you have alluded to) and shallow DOF, and is why I've kept hold of FF. That being said I have used my EM1-II at 6400 ISO at times. I have also briefly owned the D500 and so feel confident commenting and comparing that too. My opinion is there's not enough of a difference between m4/3 and APS-C for me to justify APS-C over it, but FF does have enough for the reasons that I state.

I actually have 3 landscapes on my wall at work that are printed to approx 29.5" x 19.5", one taken with the Olympus EM10 and 9-18mm, one taken with the D750 and 24-105mm lens and one taken with the D750 and 18-35mm G and often ask fellow togs if they can tell which is which. No-one has yet. Take from that what you will ;)

However, if you still don't think m4/3 is good for wildlife then maybe take a look at this
https://500px.com/sulasulacom/galleries/olympus

Now before I get accused of being a fanboy I should state that if anything if a gun was held to my head I would say that I was slightly more in the Nikon camp than Olympus, but tbh I love both systems. The only reason that I've posted this is that people do underestimate what m4/3 is capable of (y)

Last edited:
Apart from noisier images at higher ISO it's hard to find much fault with images produced with decent M43 gear. It's not 'fanboys' claiming this or that, it's more the case of constant naysayers putting the system down and the users who know better continuously having to defend it. It gets pathetic tbh, every time M43 is mentioned the equivalence police are out in force - as if it was some weird threat to their precious FF gear [it's mostly FF gear heads do it] These naysayers don't get the advantages, for wildlife, macro and landscape, that deeper DOF at lower apertures in a bonus. I found in particular for macro I could keep more in sharp focus easier at much lower apertures, often found F8 sufficient even for 1:1 of tiny bugs. You're not doing this with APSC or FF, you know you'll be stopped down to F16 or even more or barely anything will be sharp.

Also wildlife, for the more casual wildlife enthusiast you can get in real cheap and have plenty of reach. The likes of the Panasonic 100-300 - decent lens, 200-600mm equivalent for not a lot of money, and I've seen some fantastic shots from this lens on very budget friendly bodies such as the G80 or em5 mkii - until you're told that's what gear was used you could easily be led to believe they were shot with much higher end gear.

A bit of noise in your images isn't the end of the world, there's not much else to moan about with the system. Cameras like the em1mkii and G9 have much better DR than some like to make out too. With my old G80, using the older 16mp tech sensor, I was able to push files pretty hard in post - I was pleasantly surprised when I first started processing M43 images. Sure, I did switch back to Fuji, but I was shooting Fuji before M43 and always said once they had IBIS in their bodies I'd give them another go - had to wait for the H1 to drop a lot in price first .... which has happened. But I'd definitely use M43 alongside if funds allowed.

Last edited:
A really good example of what can be done with Olympus EM-1X and EM-1mkii can be seen on David Tipling website - for anybody that doesn’t know this guy, he is a well renowned very experienced wildlife photographer who swithched to Olympus from Nikon when these 2 models were released and has really taken to them. There was no affiliation at the time so he was very honest and genuinely praises the system. He has since become an Olympus mentor but that is only a recent thing.
Well worth a look, his blog is very interesting and informative.

Apart from noisier images at higher ISO it's hard to find much fault with images produced with decent M43 gear. It's not 'fanboys' claiming this or that, it's more the case of constant naysayers putting the system down and the users who know better continuously having to defend it. It gets pathetic tbh, every time M43 is mentioned the equivalence police are out in force - as if it was some weird threat to their precious FF gear [it's mostly FF gear heads do it] These naysayers don't get the advantages, for wildlife, macro and landscape, that deeper DOF at lower apertures in a bonus. I found in particular for macro I could keep more in sharp focus easier at much lower apertures, often found F8 sufficient even for 1:1 of tiny bugs. You're not doing this with APSC or FF, you know you'll be stopped down to F16 or even more or barely anything will be sharp

A bit of noise in your images isn't the end of the world, there's not much else to moan about with the system. Cameras like the em1mkii and G9 have much better DR than some like to make out too. With my old G80, using the older 16mp tech sensor, I was able to push files pretty hard in post - I was pleasantly surprised when I first started processing M43 images. Sure, I did switch back to Fuji, but I was shooting Fuji before M43 and always said w=once they had IBIS in their bodies I'd give them another go - had to wait for the H1 to drop a lot in price first .... which has happened. But I'd definitely use M43 alongside if funds allowed.

There are various examples of full time professionals who have gone to mFT covering wildlife and studio type work.

Whatever is used it is only a tool to "get the job done" and if the job is the end result then the post processing is part of said 'job'.

In the case of the technology, I was at Warnham reserve s few weeks back and I got talking with another Olympus user who had the PL 100-400. I mentioned about Pro Capture and it's IMO benefits....he had never used it and he had owned the E-M1MK2 longer than me.

He found with lens only Pro Capture Hi worked but he ended up with images he remarked he had never managed before!

HTH ;)

A bit of noise in your images isn't the end of the world, there's not much else to moan about with the system. Cameras like the em1mkii and G9 have much better DR than some like to make out too.
Yeah DR's not bad as you say. OK I've been spoilt with Nikon in this regard, but if you look at the 5D3 (11.7ev), 6D2 (11.9ev) and 5DSR (12.4ev) and compare this to the EM1-II at 12.8ev then you realise how good the Olympus is.

There are various examples of full time professionals who have gone to mFT covering wildlife and studio type work.

Whatever is used it is only a tool to "get the job done" and if the job is the end result then the post processing is part of said 'job'.

In the case of the technology, I was at Warnham reserve s few weeks back and I got talking with another Olympus user who had the PL 100-400. I mentioned about Pro Capture and it's IMO benefits....he had never used it and he had owned the E-M1MK2 longer than me.

He found with lens only Pro Capture Hi worked but he ended up with images he remarked he had never managed before!

HTH ;)

So very true, I think M43 is excellent for wildlife, you can have a 200-800 equivalent lens for a fraction of the cost, not to mention size and weight, same with the 300 F4 Olumpus, you're going to need a right Behemoth for FF to match that.

I've always been about performance over make or model or sensor size. Of course everyone will have their favorite system, what I don't get is this constant need to put all else down. I mean, if they're not using it why is it affecting them? We've seen heated debates on here on FF vs 'lesser' formats and it gets really sad. We're all out to produce nice images and have some fun, it's a hobby for most of us, why the need to p*** on other people's gear? I'll never get it, but it'll continue to happen. The amount of times I've mentioned a lens on here only to be told almost immediately, as if they've been lurking in the background waiting to strike! :D "but that's only X equivalent on FF" - I'm like, so what? how is this affecting what I shoot with it? If I was shooting FF only then would that matter. I'm also not shallow DOF obsessed, I mean when I want it, it's not hard to produce on any format. It's easier on FF but also usually a lot more expensive

Last edited:
Yeah DR's not bad as you say. OK I've been spoilt with Nikon in this regard, but if you look at the 5D3 (11.7ev), 6D2 (11.9ev) and 5DSR (12.4ev) and compare this to the EM1-II at 12.8ev then you realise how good the Olympus is.

Before I bought the G80 I had considered the Canon 80D or M50, but after looking at dozens of reviews and comparisons there was zero advantage, Canon's DR in general is poor and the ISO performance of their APSC is no better than M43 from what I've seen

Jeffs been quiet, he must be enjoying the manual

View attachment 254023
so far today got out early ,went to LCE in Chester , took my d7200 got a far better trade in offer than either quoted or expected .
bought the new camera and came home . put battery on charge then had a kip for the afternoon .. ( its a age thing)
battery charged up , put the initial settings in and checked firmware version which was 2.0 ,took a couple of test shots
updated firmware to version 3.1
took mrs out shopping then bought a Chinese take away
had supper
sat here writing this before trying to figure out WTF I do next this buggers complicated and requires a clear head

Just purchased a used Olympus 75mm F1.8 from WEX, as I had some credit sat there for some time and decided to use it. I've always looked and wondered about this lens, so as the actually cash from me was almost nothing, decided to take a punt. The lens arrived this morning and is absolutely mint in every way. Just purchased a 2nd hand hood for it from the bay (still annoys me that Olympus doesn't sometimes supply hoods). Anyway, initial testing super quick and silent focusing and is tack sharp wide open. Will make a cracking portrait accompaniment to the Noticron 42.5mm F1.2 that I already had.

Here it is on the EM1X. It's much smaller than I thought it would be.

Im sure you are going to be delighted with it i purchased one a while back it’s probably Olympus sharpest prime although I haven’t found a bad lens in there system

Ah the Oly menu system strikes! :D you'll get used to it quick enough, just press all of the things! :D
just set it up with mikes hints and tips time will tell if I got it right or not

just set it up with mikes hints and tips time will tell if I got it right or not

Unlike simple cameras i think most folks need to arrive at their own settings once they get going.

Well thanks to a few tips from mike w I think I now have it set up . Hoping on good weather tomorrow for a trial run I’m not expecting to much initially but got a good feeling about this one . Just got to sit back and calm down now and work out what other lenses I need to acquire

I get your point, but there's nothing wrong with saying that m4/3 images are superb, some are.
Nothing wrong at all, however in this instance a capture with no detail isn't superb for me. Everyone has their acceptable limits I guess.

Its a very nice camera Jeff I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Rob.
Just been looking at some of your pics rob ,yes I think I will

help how do I change from 18fps back to 10 fps

found it

Last edited:
Just get a bigger card :ROFLMAO:
FWIW I have 32GB in Slot 1 and a 64GB in Slot 2.

Slot settings wise:-
1 for stills only
2 for video (and backup?) as needed.

PS and I have multiple cards ;)

I have an extreme pro 32gb in each slot but i use 1 slot for back up.

right just back ,downloaded 1403 shots and to be honest quiet disappointed , some are super and will do them after tea , but a lot are missed focus . had it in c.a.f + tracking and c.a.f and. the focus points were bouncing all over the screen , I think I should have been in s/af for individual birds ? . I also had Auto ISO set in a/v mode and every single shot is at 200iso with slowish shutter speeds . .. the potential is there but need to sort out the settings .. TBH I went out without a clue about the camera and it will fall into place no doubt .

the refreshing thing is I bumped into two lads I know that are normally carting around mega canon gear and both had olympus e-mix cameras

right just back ,downloaded 1403 shots and to be honest quiet disappointed , some are super and will do them after tea , but a lot are missed focus . had it in c.a.f + tracking and c.a.f and. the focus points were bouncing all over the screen , I think I should have been in s/af for individual birds ? . I also had Auto ISO set in a/v mode and every single shot is at 200iso with slowish shutter speeds . .. the potential is there but need to sort out the settings .. TBH I went out without a clue about the camera and it will fall into place no doubt .

the refreshing thing is I bumped into two lads I know that are normally carting around mega canon gear and both had olympus e-mix cameras

Not used the em1mkii but does it have a setting for minimum SS when using auto ISO? I'd look into that. Slower shutter speeds will no doubt be the main factor here in any blurred images you shot. I would try S-AF for better precision too

c.a.f + tracking Opps its not good imho stick to CAF try just 15 points 10 fps and short bursts at least 1/1000 for birds in flight .
My leave the house settings for birds with the 300f4 + tc in good light are iso 800 f5.6 1/3200 sec .
Rob.

I am still working ni my Oly settings - for BIF try looking at Scott Bourne's settings - I think if you google his name + settings + BIF, you will find the article. If you can't, I think I may have written them down in my notebook.

yeh o.k I think I know where I went wrong. now taken the Auto ISO out of the equation . trouble is today there were thousands of birds on the beach and I was trying to pick out individual ones in CAF when I should have been in SAF .lesson learned . I think I would have got better with the g80 but I WILL master this bugger . just done a couple of pics so give me five

Hope you got something, i would never use tracking and i prefer shutter priority as i want to be sure to freeze the action.

Nice start, did you set the EVF refresh rate to high.

Nice start, did you set the EVF refresh rate to high.
yes mike , any idea how to overcome this when I initially lift the camera to my eye its a black screen till I touch the shutter and it takes a second or so , any way it can be active as soon as I raise it ?

Nothing wrong with those, I can see how C-AF and tracking could be all over the shop for images like the second one though. So much going on
very windy Keith and a few thousand + birds in a small area

yes mike , any idea how to overcome this when I initially lift the camera to my eye its a black screen till I touch the shutter and it takes a second or so , any way it can be active as soon as I raise it ?

I have the EV auto switch set to off and sleep at 5min, when i get a spare battery i will set sleep to off

...need to sort out the settings ..
When I traded my Pen-F for an E-M1(2) recently I found Tony Phillips' book (Amazon Kindle download) called The complete guide to the OM-D E-M1 mk 2 very helpful :beer:
Hell of a lot to read, but very detailed, well written and presented.

Back