Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Nice one, it could be your brain is still a little bit in DSLR mode, as you know it is a bit different to mirrorless mode.
I think my brain is still clogged up with that radioactive crap they put in me thurs mike

right just back ,downloaded 1403 shots and to be honest quiet disappointed , some are super and will do them after tea , but a lot are missed focus . had it in c.a.f + tracking and c.a.f and. the focus points were bouncing all over the screen , I think I should have been in s/af for individual birds ? . I also had Auto ISO set in a/v mode and every single shot is at 200iso with slowish shutter speeds . .. the potential is there but need to sort out the settings .. TBH I went out without a clue about the camera and it will fall into place no doubt .

the refreshing thing is I bumped into two lads I know that are normally carting around mega canon gear and both had olympus e-mix cameras
My advice would be don’t use semi auto modes, use manual mode but with auto iso. This way you can have the shutter and aperture set to your liking.

Also as mentioned tracking mode isn’t great. Use C-AF and group, or C-AF and single point. Also set AF sensitivity to +2.

Lots of different ways to crack the same nut , this is only day one I’m sure I’ll sort it out in a week or so ,thanks for all the suggestions

With Jeff buying into the EM1MK11 and he has experience with Olympus and Panasonic but still commented on the volume of setting up options available it may be an idea to talk settings.

These are my basic BIF settings they will not work for everyone or in every situation, they are in my C1 mode but i change different parts on the fly to suit what i am doing, its then easy to revert back to these.

auto iso up to 6400
shutter priority with exposure compensation on the front dial, this means shooting wide open
ibis off although selecting the lens is ( with the 100-400) should switch the body off i do that because if i want the is off and do it on the lens the body is would turn on
9 box center focusing selection most of the time
C-AF no tracking because as i understand it the latest firmware gave us the focus algorithms from the 1X we obviously did not get the AI because that needs the extra processing power the 1X has.
spot metering
continues L
af scanner 3
C-AF sensitivity +2
C-AF center start (but not on my small birds in flight against a clear sky as i want it to start on any point) for this i use all focus points
C-AF center priority
spot metering to stay with the focus point
evf auto luminance on
s-ovfoff
quick sleep mode off
The EVF to its highest refresh rate
At the moment i am experimenting with the lens focus limiter off as i work in situations that birds fly past close sometimes, not seeing any signs of stupid full range lens hunting.

Another point if you are using C-AF on the EM1MK11 but not happy with the sharpness check the AF fine-tune as C-AF uses phase detect, remember though your checks need to be done in C-AF as S-AF will use contrast-detect so most likely will not show any errors.

Please feel free to disagree with any of the above but please explain why.

Last edited:
I don't do BIF but I do believe that often CL over CH makes a big difference as the camera has that milisecond extra to re-focus between shots.

I don't do BIF but I do believe that often CL over CH makes a big difference as the camera has that milisecond extra to re-focus between shots.

Yes that would fit with my general thinking, these things can do so much now and have a limit on the processing power the less i ask of them the more chance they will manage what i do ask.

I only use M I don't want the camera setting shutter speed / ISO / aperture .

EM1X or OMD MK II 300 F4 +TC bright day 1/3200 / ISO 800 /F5.6 I will adjust ISO /shutter if the light changes or just change the shutter speed if white / black bird shows up.

I set the lens focus limiter so it won't rack all the way back -most birds are distant

I meter off a mid green to check / change ISO this way I'm always ready and in the ball park for good exposure

AF scanner 3 I want the camera to always try and focus

electronic shutter set to low silent -iv had owls fly straight at me as there is no sound

C-AF sensitivity +2 most of the time it makes the camera very fast

C-AF no tracking or centre start / priory -normally 9 points so any that can grab the bird is fine with me .static bird single point and most times C-AF as it may take off

EVF to its highest refresh rate and set so I see exposure changes in the VF

Camera sleeps after 60 seconds -I just jab any button to bring it back to life and by the time iv got it to my eye its woken up -you just need to keep an eye on what birds are likely to do so you can wake it up in time .

I did check fine tune all was good

The above means all i have to do is wind a wheel (shutter speed ) to correct exposure the ISO setting is generally good for a few hours but as the sun goes down i may up it every 20 mins to keep my shutter speed ok -I go out when it's sunny if it clouds over I tend to come home I like good light .

Rob.

Feeling a bit mussy headed this morning.......CL over CH ???

continues Low / High
Doh! I have set mine to 10fps sometime back.....though sometimes bump it up to 15, cannot recall the last time I used 18fps?

FWIW I have AF scanner in Mode 2 and IBIS left on auto.

I did check fine tune all was good

Rob.
I thought the whole idea of mirrorless was no more micro adjust rob .. or have I lost something in translation

I thought the whole idea of mirrorless was no more micro adjust rob .. or have I lost something in translation
Indeed so did I but Olympus do have it and I also thought it only applies to S-AF not C-AF perhaps Mikew will chip in on this .
Rob.

Feeling a bit mussy headed this morning.......CL over CH ???
continues Low / High

Yeah, most cameras will have specific marks on the dials for the different frame rates, sometimes there will be a 'CM' too for continuous medium. With CH the camera has less time in between shots to refocus on moving subjects but you get a much higher burst of frames.

Indeed so did I but Olympus do have it and I also thought it only applies to S-AF not C-AF perhaps Mikew will chip in on this .
Rob.

You don't need it for single af as that uses contrast-detect which will be right, with Phase detect use on continuous it can have an error which needs correcting, as i say it does mean your calibration although on a stationery target does need doing in C-AF, to ensure you use Phase detect.

Last edited:
just been reading through the threads on another forum and one member suggested that for b.i.f the scanner should be set at mode 3 just changed mine see later what it does if anything ..

just been reading through the threads on another forum and one member suggested that for b.i.f the scanner should be set at mode 3 just changed mine see later what it does if anything ..

Yes i have mine on 3

all going over my head right now a walk round the garden then down the estuary shows the versatility of this camera and lens combo . one minute super tele next virtual macro , getting to know it better today all falling into place nicely
one size fits all by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr
clematis by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

fuschia by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr
Looking good Jeff, I might have to take the leap myself. I'll let you iron it out first [emoji4]

Looking good Jeff, I might have to take the leap myself. I'll let you iron it out first [emoji4]
It looks complicated Chris but in reality once you understand the terms it’s quite logical and BTW. If anyone is in range there quiet welcome to see what the fuss is about

Last edited:
just found out elsewhere how to turn off the toggle between main screen and EVF it means the viewfinder is permanently on live but I won't miss fast action shots . learn something new everyday.in other words its now like a DSLR viewfinder

Last edited:
another one from yesterday , still trial and error with the settings but getting there a faster shutter speed would have helped here . and I also realised I was missing shots by the evf taking a second or so to wake up , I have now changed that so the EVF is permanently on as per DSLR ,which will help in target acquisition and tracking . the downside is higher battery drain but I'll work round that one .
bug hunter by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

just found out elsewhere how to turn off the toggle between main screen and EVF it means the viewfinder is permanently on live but I won't miss fast action shots . learn something new everyday.in other words its now like a DSLR viewfinder
Point me to the right menu please.

Point me to the right menu please.
no problem , go to menu , gear menu , scroll down to the letter I , then EVF auto switch to off .

as I said I have yet to check it with regards to battery life , but I have yet to look for a sleep control which might help then it should be just a touch any button and its alive again .bloody complicated menu system , they give you the bone but don't tell you how to cook it

no problem , go to menu , gear menu , scroll down to the letter I , then EVF auto switch to off .

as I said I have yet to check it with regards to battery life , but I have yet to look for a sleep control which might help then it should be just a touch any button and its alive again .bloody complicated menu system , they give you the bone but don't tell you how to cook it
Thanks. The menus are a puzzle. I found a printed out handbook in one of the bins in the camera shop in one of the arcades; not sure how much of it is out of date with the firmware upgrades but it can be helpful.

Thanks. The menus are a puzzle. I found a printed out handbook in one of the bins in the camera shop in one of the arcades; not sure how much of it is out of date with the firmware upgrades but it can be helpful.
LOL just found it and checked it out right at the end of the gear menu system is the sleep mode set it to one minute after which it goes to sleep . then simply touch the shutter button as you raise the camera and its back on fully awake . no more waiting for that lost second for it to come alive at your eye . and it shouldn't really impact on battery life .. not bad for 3 days ownership :banana::banana::banana::beer:P.S if you hadn't have asked I wouldn't have thought about the sleep control

Last edited:
I did say about this in my Monday post Jeff regarding sleep mode it really does save battery usage .
Rob.

I did say about this in my Monday post Jeff regarding sleep mode it really does save battery usage .
Rob.
You may well have rob so much to absorb in a short space of time, then trying to put it into practise with crap weather ,blowing a Hooly here today ,then I got hospital appointments. Thurs and fri .

I have had the MC-20 convertor on my Olympus webshop "wishlist" for a couple or so weeks.

Had a email few mins ago , ordered......so here in a few days :)

Based on all the reviews I see it as a good compliment to my 40-150mm f2.8 Pro (I already have the x1.4 TC ) for a versatile travel kit. Plus when needed to use with 300 f4 as & when.

With the value of the pound taking a hit/trip into nebulous seas.......I wish I could justify buying a second E-M1MK2 as it comes with the 30mm macro FoC but alas not right now :(

PS I note on the shop site they are offering £600 off of the E-M1X .......... resist, resist....:LOL:

Last edited:
still at the testing stage mainly due to horrible weather .. so heres a couple from literally ten minutes between showers . the first is a full size image followed by a cropped in version (consecutive frames ) think I'm impressed
full size by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr
handling the whites by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

After months of lusting after one, I have finally ordered a 'like new' second hand EM1 mkII from MPB, should arrive tomorrow.

I think I'll keep my EM5 mkII, as with my Canon 40D, they are two cameras that I've really enjoyed using - completely irrational in many ways to keep them.

After months of lusting after one, I have finally ordered a 'like new' second hand EM1 mkII from MPB, should arrive tomorrow.

I think I'll keep my EM5 mkII, as with my Canon 40D, they are two cameras that I've really enjoyed using - completely irrational in many ways to keep them.
Have fun with the 'new to you' kit.

As I posted in #15826
Do look at the firmware version and update to the latest & greatest v.3 update......................it really is like having a new camera :) as Jeff @the black fox can attest to ;)

Have fun with the 'new to you' kit.

As I posted in #15826
Do look at the firmware version and update to the latest & greatest v.3 update......................it really is like having a new camera :) as Jeff @the black fox can attest to ;)
Thanks - will definitely get it up to the latest firmware - one of the main reasons to get it based on yours and other posts. It will be depressing when it arrives and I still miss lots of BIF shots and realise it's just me not the camera...but I'm hoping for a higher success rate vs the EM5mkII.

Back