Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Originally Posted by Dave in Wales View Post
Phew.......I've done it, spent the money I had for the EM5, I feel much happier now.

I've replaced the G3 that I should never had sold after buying the GH2.
The IQ from the G3 is IMVHO, superior (just) to that from the GH2 and equal to if not better than that from the EM5, again IMVHO.

Also I've added a Pany 25mm f1.4 Summilux to the stable and am now considering a Pany 100-300.

THe G3 cost me £369, 37% that of a EM5, and the 25mm cost me £440.

That works out to total 81% that of a EM5, and I have a terrific set-up.

There were a number of features that I could just never come to terms with on the EM5.
No flippy-out screen, which for me is essential.
Waterproofing, never ever needed it, grip never really wanted one.

And from experience IMVHO the G3 IQ is on a par with the EM5.

Ah, almost forgot, the over-inflated, hyped-up launch price of £999, for me it was just a no-brainer.

I got a G3 plus a terrific lens plus £190 to spend on as I said for me it was just a no-brainer.

WEX are showing stocks of the black body, I've just ordered one.

I've had it with Park Cameras, they said last night they were expecting deliveries but could not say when.

Your self contradiction is impressive.

Note to myself to look out for the first one appearing in classifieds ;):D

Phew.......I've done it, spent the money I had for the EM5, I feel much happier now.

I've replaced the G3 that I should never had sold after buying the GH2.
The IQ from the G3 is IMVHO, superior (just) to that from the GH2 and equal to if not better than that from the EM5, again IMVHO.

Also I've added a Pany 25mm f1.4 Summilux to the stable and am now considering a Pany 100-300.

THe G3 cost me £369, 37% that of a EM5, and the 25mm cost me £440.

That works out to total 81% that of a EM5, and I have a terrific set-up.

There were a number of features that I could just never come to terms with on the EM5.
No flippy-out screen, which for me is essential.
Waterproofing, never ever needed it, grip never really wanted one.

And from experience IMVHO the G3 IQ is on a par with the EM5.

Ah, almost forgot, the over-inflated, hyped-up launch price of £999, for me it was just a no-brainer.

I got a G3 plus a terrific lens plus £190 to spend on as I said for me it was just a no-brainer.

WEX are showing stocks of the black body, I've just ordered one.

I've had it with Park Cameras, they said last night they were expecting deliveries but could not say when.

Note to myself to look out for the first one appearing in classifieds ;):D

Was gonna say the same... Dave at least you know you gonna have a decent amount of interest if you decide to change your mind for the like 50th time! :D

OK, OK, OK enoughs enough.

Perhaps a new thread should be started....'Lets all give Dave a good kicking' :)

Psssssst....! My brand-spanking gleaming OM-D EM-5 black body arrives tomorrow. :whistle:

What's with all the black E-M5's, need some more silver ones:

Em-5.JPG

OK, OK, OK enoughs enough.

Perhaps a new thread should be started....'Lets all give Dave a good kicking' :)

Psssssst....! My brand-spanking gleaming OM-D EM-5 black body arrives tomorrow. :whistle:

If it makes you feel any better Dave, after all the indecisiveness I did in the end buy a 100-300 :D

Well.. Jessops said 28th May for black and silver, so I went into central London for a trawl. Nobody had anything, but then I spotted Amazon had some black kits in stock! Just waiting for the dispatch email now :D

Received today.....

Dear David,

I am happy to confirm that your claim for the Olympus OM-D Free Grip Promotion has now been approved and that you will receive your Free HDL-6 within the next 28 days.

Should you have any queries, please don’t hesitate to contact our customer service team at: Olympus@sales-promotions.com, or call us on 0207 659 1135

In order to monitor the status of your cashback claim click here to access our Customer Online Tracking System. Log in using the username and password previously supplied to you.

Best Wishes,
Videlina Shopova
Olympus

DO NOT be afraid to phone them, they are most helpful.

Well.. Jessops said 28th May for black and silver, so I went into central London for a trawl. Nobody had anything, but then I spotted Amazon had some black kits in stock! Just waiting for the dispatch email now :D

So you just made it for the free grip offer.

So you just made it for the free grip offer.

I registered in March and was given a number, this is the number I used to claim the grip. :shrug:

Think you got a bit mixed up there Dave ;)

Yep, black camera arrived today! Not one bit disappointed - by the time the thing had charged I could take indoor photos only.. but that was a good test as it's clearly such a huge improvement over my beloved GF-1! I can use ISO 800 without a second thought, and even 1600 is usable with noise reduction. I'm also super impressed with the stabilisation on the video, especially as I have quite shaky hands. The video hunts a bit with autofocus but I'm happy to admit that a lot of that is probably user error plus I haven't set things up quite right yet. It's very good quality though, compared to my GF-1, even under incandescent light.

I also like the touch to focus feature, and the AF is definitely improved on faces, which is about 90% of my photography. There's all sorts of little features that I'm going to find frustrating not to have on my D700 I think!

I'm keeping the Panasonic f1.7 20mm on it that came with my GF-1 for indoors use but will probably use the kit lens for outdoor stuff, especially in the drizzle as it's weathersealed.

I pre-registered for the grip (for the second time.. first time was with Jessops named) on the 30th, and had the confirmation email the next day. I've now uploaded my proof of purchase (is this just the Amazon receipt in the box, I wonder?) but couldn't see where to put the serial number in, so stuck that in the same image as the receipt. I'm sure they'll let me know if there's a problem.

I just sent my details off to them in an email and got a reply the next day saying my grip would be here within 28 days:)

I've got one to play with as well courtesy of Olympus. I'll be using it as a remote at the FA Cup final on Saturday, but in the meantime I used it on a job tonight alongside my brace of 1Ds and L lenses.

I have to say I am very impressed. Its a beautiful little camera. Very quiet. Well made. The electronic viewfinder is cool and the camera is very useable. I also tried it out as a remote tonight triggered by Pocket Wizard and it didn't miss a beat (but did get a bit warm).

Liking it a lot so far. I won't want to give it back.

I''m going to return my new gx1 so I can get myself a black bodied oly. If I can wait a week, do we think the price will come down at all?

Also, I still have my Panasonic 14-42 zoom lens left, any tips on how to use it on the Olympus and turn off the lens' own stabilisation? I can't wait to stick my 20mm f1.7 lens on the front and check it out.

I''m going to return my new gx1 so I can get myself a black bodied oly. If I can wait a week, do we think the price will come down at all?

Also, I still have my Panasonic 14-42 zoom lens left, any tips on how to use it on the Olympus and turn off the lens' own stabilisation? I can't wait to stick my 20mm f1.7 lens on the front and check it out.

Isn't there a switch on the 14-42 to turn OIS on/off?

chrism_scotland said:
Isn't there a switch on the 14-42 to turn OIS on/off?

No that's on the 14-45. The 14-42 has a menu item on the Panasonic body to turn off the stabilisation.

chrism_scotland said:
Ah right, sorry! Never had a 14-42 only a 14-45

Yes I was surprised when I got the first of the new, improved kit lenses....to find a nice feature removed!

Ordered. Should have my black body only mid week. Slightly nervous about dropping a grand on body only. Only ever spent 600 or so on full DSLR bodies thus far.

Can't wait for IBIS.

As said by a guy on another forum who had just received his grip......

Picked up the package yesterday. It was indeed the grip. Unfortunately it does nothing for me, just adds weight, so will be sold once they stop giving them away.

I wonder if many others will feel the same way?

Very, very impressed with the OM-D.

I used it in conjunction with a Panasonic 8mm fisheye at Wembley on Saturday. Combined with Pocket Wizards to trigger it, and running at 9 frames per second in manual focus mode (always use manual for remote shots), it worked like a dream.

I could have done with some decent goal-line action and was at the Chelsea end for the 2nd half so didn't get Cech's stunning save unfortunately (that would have been a money-maker at the fisheye gets the whole goal in shot).

Here's a couple of pics anyway. Note that these are very heavy crops, and show that there are plenty of pixels to go around. The camera was set up in shutter-priority mode at 1/500th, with the ISO set to auto and +1 exposure compensation to handle the bright sky.

Pic 1
Pic 2

I had thought to move the camera from behind the goal to the corner at half time, and focus on the corner flag. How I wish I'd done this, as I'd have got Drogba sliding in for his celebration with a shot nobody else would have had. I really must follow my first instincts more often.

I took a bunch of other shots with it as well. With the 45 1.8 it is just gorgeous, and the 20 1.7 isn't bad either. I'd quite keen on getting a 12 f2 but will stick with my 14 2.5 for now (much cheaper too).

So, well impressed. Unfortunately this one has to go back to Olympus now but I've got one at the top of my shopping list right now.

Last edited:
Very, very impressed with the OM-D.

I used it in conjunction with a Panasonic 8mm fisheye at Wembley on Saturday. Combined with Pocket Wizards to trigger it, and running at 9 frames per second in manual focus mode (always use manual for remote shots), it worked like a dream.

I could have done with some decent goal-line action and was at the Chelsea end for the 2nd half so didn't get Cech's stunning save unfortunately (that would have been a money-maker at the fisheye gets the whole goal in shot).

Here's a couple of pics anyway. Note that these are very heavy crops, and show that there are plenty of pixels to go around. The camera was set up in shutter-priority mode at 1/500th, with the ISO set to auto and +1 exposure compensation to handle the bright sky.

Pic 1
Pic 2

I had thought to move the camera from behind the goal to the corner at half time, and focus on the corner flag. How I wish I'd done this, as I'd have got Drogba sliding in for his celebration with a shot nobody else would have had. I really must follow my first instincts more often.

I took a bunch of other shots with it as well. With the 45 1.8 it is just gorgeous, and the 20 1.7 isn't bad either. I'd quite keen on getting a 12 f2 but will stick with my 14 2.5 for now (much cheaper too).

So, well impressed. Unfortunately this one has to go back to Olympus now but I've got one at the top of my shopping list right now.

EPIC pictures! Looks like the pro tag on this camera is fitting...

In the mFT range, only the 12-50mm thus far.

However all of the full size Four Thirds can be used. The HG & SHG lenses will be weatherproof provided you use the new MMF-3 weatherproof mFT-FT converter. (the earlier MMF-1 & MMF-2 are not sealed)

The 1.4 & 2x teleconverters are also drip proof.

Grip arrived, the middle section feels very good and will probably stay on. The bottom is section is nice but doubt i'll use it that much as I don't shoot in portrait mode that often.

Dave,

Still waiting for your review, any real life comparison with G3 and GH2?

Ricky

Dave,

Still waiting for your review, any real life comparison with G3 and GH2?

Ricky

Did I promise a review...:shrug:

I haven't got any shots from each camera/same lens/same conditions, I'll see if I can produce some for comparison.

It WON'T be a review as such.

Last edited:

I haven't got any shots from each camera/same lens/same conditions, I'll see if I can produce some for comparison.

Dave,

Your views would help many like me who is already in the G series wondering if it's worth moving to OM-D.

I'm still hoping to get enough loose change to get one!

Dave,

Your views would help many like me who is already in the G series wondering if it's worth moving to OM-D.

I'm still hoping to get enough loose change to get one!

I’m not quite sure what you expect from me, I’m not a camera reviewer.

I have not moved up to an E-M5 I have just added it to the stable.

The E-M5 is a quality piece of kit, and so it should be……….roughly three times the price of a G3 and twice the price of a GH2…plus change.

That’s after the £50 Pany cash-back that is.

Know your way around a GH2 and you know your way around a G3, they are very similar.

An E-M5 is different, it would be it’s an Oly, but after only a week I’m very familiar with the camera and know my way around it.

IMVHO the G3 and the GH2 are extremely good cameras.

It’s all very subjective, would I recommend that you buy an E-M5…..’NO’.

But then again I would never recommend a camera to anybody.

Would I buy the E-M5 again….A resounding ‘YES’…I love it.

As with any camera it’s all a compromise, the E-M5 has it’s ‘quirks’ but these are far outweighed, IMVHO, by the overall presence of the camera, it’s a beauty.

It’s black, not too sure I’d feel the same about a silver one though, still each to their own.

As previously said I will endeavour to knock up some comparison images from the G3/GH2/E-M5 and I’ll be honest here, for general everyday photography I expect to see little difference.

BUT DO I CARE…’NO’……I love my E-M5.

Take a look on this forum, it’s E-M5…..MAD..
http://www.mu-43.com/forum.php

Last edited:
Thanks Dave.

I agree G3 is amazing for it's price.
I think me too love the look of OM-D, I did manage to handle one in the shop which was 'Not for sale'!

Back