Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Not much, lens corrections aren't applied though and you can't use dual IS.
Are you sure about that?
I thought both manufacturers supported each others corrections - at least after 2013.
That seems to be backed up by #9 here.
https://www.apotelyt.com/photo-lens/mft-compatibility

The only thing that I'd miss is some Panasonic lenses have an aperture ring which is non-functional on Olympus.

Are you sure about that?
I thought both manufacturers supported each others corrections - at least after 2013.

The only thing that I'd miss is some Panasonic lenses have an aperture ring which is non-functional on Olympus.
Nope not sure tbh, just thought I'd read it a few times in the past o_O

Number 3 is wrong, newer Panasonic cameras have Lens Fn button options you can set in the menu

Are you sure about that?

Nope not sure tbh, just thought I'd read it a few times in the past o_O
Reading around it looks as though you're right, not sure why I thought otherwise :thinking: Olly do not remove CA on either Olly or Panny lenses though according to the info I've just read.

Yes lens corrections applied in software like any other system (y). If you combine IS of the lens with the IS of the body it gives you more stops stabilisation, but there are only a few lens/camera combos that allow this anyway. As you mention the EM1-II has IBIS which is class leading, so not having dual IS is far from a biggie.

Thanks. I'm now starting to drool over the 12 - 100 Olympus zoom as a standard lens......

Incidentally I've just seen a video saying that olympus bodies and panasonic lenses aren't able to use dual IS together so you may be right.

I have the em1-mkii and a Panasonic 12-60 and it works fine imho .. .there may well be functions that dont operate by swopping lens/bodies etc but in real world terms it doesn't seem to matter .. going to try the olympus 30mm macro on the pana.g80 later as that will save swopping lenses while out

Thanks. I'm now starting to drool over the 12 - 100 Olympus zoom as a standard lens......

Incidentally I've just seen a video saying that olympus bodies and panasonic lenses aren't able to use dual IS together so you may be right.
I'm 99.999999% sure dual IBIS doesn't work using Panny lenses on Olly bodies, it was the lens corrections I was wrong about, you live and learn ;)

The 12-100mm is a cracking lens, if I didn't already have the 12-40mm f2.8 I'd be seriously tempted.

I'm 99.999999% sure dual IBIS doesn't work using Panny lenses on Olly bodies, it was the lens corrections I was wrong about, you live and learn ;)

The 12-100mm is a cracking lens, if I didn't already have the 12-40mm f2.8 I'd be seriously tempted.

I'm even more certain than that, it is brand specific.
Panasonic lenses with is do not combine with the ibis on Olympus bodies.
To be honest it doesn't make that much difference, my 12-40mm works nicely on a GX9 just using ibis

I can confirm the 12-100 is an excellent lens, tried my daughters one out when she got it.
Bit too big/heavy for me personally as a travel lens, but image quality is superb.
Stabilisation is very effective, must be something else when it combines with Olympus ibis.
Think it only does that with E-M1 i and ii plus the E-M5 ii, definitely not a Panasonic though

Anyone excited for the em5 mkiii? Apparently it will have the same sensor and many of the tricks from the EM1X - like hand-held high res mode.

I'm unlikely to change bodies in the foreseeable future unless something happens to my current E-M10ii.
The E-M5iii spec is so vague at the moment it's hard to get that excited - but then it's only rumour site posts - hopefully Olympus have some great stuff in the bag.
My main worry is that it will be really expensive - to be honest Olympus haven't released anything affordable (to me) and interesting (to me) since the E-M10ii.
The PEN-F looked great but at the SRP it really wasn't in my sights. Olympus are understandably heading upwards at the Pro/Enthusiast end of the market but that isn't me.
Hope I'm wrong but I suspect an initial price north of £850 for the body alone.

Anyone excited for the em5 mkiii? Apparently it will have the same sensor and many of the tricks from the EM1X - like hand-held high res mode.
I wouldn't say excited tbh as I won't be buying one, as much as I love the look of the EM5's the ergonomics are not as good for me as I use larger lenses. What is nice is that it's reassuring that Olly are still keeping going despite the scare mongers saying m4/3 is dead etc, and also that they are continuing in their philosophy of offering top level spec in their 'lower end' stuff and not deliberately crippling them like other companies.

I'm unlikely to change bodies in the foreseeable future unless something happens to my current E-M10ii.
The E-M5iii spec is so vague at the moment it's hard to get that excited - but then it's only rumour site posts - hopefully Olympus have some great stuff in the bag.
My main worry is that it will be really expensive - to be honest Olympus haven't released anything affordable (to me) and interesting (to me) since the E-M10ii.
The PEN-F looked great but at the SRP it really wasn't in my sights. Olympus are understandably heading upwards at the Pro/Enthusiast end of the market but that isn't me.
Hope I'm wrong but I suspect an initial price north of £850 for the body alone.

Can't see it being less than a thousand quid at launch, suppose it could be £999 just for effect
Not for me because I prefer Panasonic bodies and the aforementioned dual is with some of my lenses.
Bit of an imposter here although I do still have the 12-40 and use it regularly, sold all my primes though

Last edited:
just tried out the 30mm Olly macro on my panasonic g80 .tbh not very good results at all I will possibly look for a e-m10ii when funds permit much better results this morning on my Olympus body .. I dont like chopping and changing lenses while out so probably the way to go or a em-1mk1 no rush though as the macro season is virtually over

just tried out the 30mm Olly macro on my panasonic g80 .tbh not very good results at all I will possibly look for a e-m10ii when funds permit much better results this morning on my Olympus body .. I dont like chopping and changing lenses while out so probably the way to go or a em-1mk1 no rush though as the macro season is virtually over

What was wrong?
Just interested because my 12-40 works better on a GX9 than it did on an E-M1
Admittedly not tried it with my G80, maybe I will when I get a bit bored one day

Last edited:
What was wrong?
Admittedly not tried it with my G80, maybe I will when I get a bit bored one day

I found the 12-40 worked really nice on the G80, never owned the 30mm though.

I found the 12-40 worked really nice on the G80, never owned the 30mm though.

Thought it probably would be fine, bit of an extravagance, but I have a 12-35mm on the G80
Its in a bag with a few other essentials ready to be grabbed when I nip out anywhere.
Bit smaller and lighter than the 12-40, dual is and the same constant f/2.8

What was wrong?
The i.q was well down compared to the olly . I can only presume that the i.b.i.s was disabled .. it may well be me though as I only got the lens yesterday ..will test further when time permits

I'm even more certain than that, it is brand specific.
Panasonic lenses with is do not combine with the ibis on Olympus bodies.
To be honest it doesn't make that much difference, my 12-40mm works nicely on a GX9 just using ibis

I can confirm the 12-100 is an excellent lens, tried my daughters one out when she got it.
Bit too big/heavy for me personally as a travel lens, but image quality is superb.
Stabilisation is very effective, must be something else when it combines with Olympus ibis.
Think it only does that with E-M1 i and ii plus the E-M5 ii, definitely not a Panasonic though

I could see how dual IS would be a benefit in low light when the sensor size limits usable ISO's.

been testing out my two new primes this morning first off the olympus 30mm f1.8 macro used as a normal lens
30mm macro by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

o.k tried that idea out of ETTR as mentioned in the post above .. I won't be using it in future I lost a lot of shot to slow shutter speeds today, I'll stick with what I know and has worked for me so far .. did manage to retrieve some though but not as many as usual . here's one for now
bit of a flap by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

That is big, second picture down

https://www.43rumors.com/

It certainly is a serious lump of optics......................plus interesting that they have gone "white" for it.

I await to see just how sizeable a 'chunk of change' it will hit the UK shores @ ??? Also, the first real-world reviews :)

PS the first pictures are the mock up from a while back and have no switch markings, the last picture though is perhaps more recent. However, it does seem it might hit the market a tad earlier than many pundits suggested???

Last edited:
Too big and too expensive for me i bet, my guess would be £2500-£3000

o.k tried that idea out of ETTR as mentioned in the post above .. I won't be using it in future I lost a lot of shot to slow shutter speeds today, I'll stick with what I know and has worked for me so far .. did manage to retrieve some though but not as many as usual . here's one for now
bit of a flap by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr
I'm not sure ETTR is necessary these days tbh, in fact the likes of Nikon are going the other way and tending to underexpose to save highlights knowing shadow recovery is so good. Shadow recovery on Olympus is pretty decent these days, I just try to get the correct exposure now.

That does look big.... still smaller than the Canon ones though.

Yes @Box Brownie, white is interesting - they all seem to go white for the big ones. It's to do with heat isn't it? Presumably in the hope it expands a bit less?

Hi @Bebop re White coloured paint finish ~ I like you was under the impression that it was to do with 'heat management' but if you surmise that all makes of such large lenses follow similar(?) design principles.......why are Nikon, Sigma and others black ;)

I'm not sure ETTR is necessary these days tbh, in fact the likes of Nikon are going the other way and tending to underexpose to save highlights knowing shadow recovery is so good. Shadow recovery on Olympus is pretty decent these days, I just try to get the correct exposure now.
yeah if it aint broke dont fix it ..trouble with olympus is they give you the ingredients without the recipe ... thus you have to try different ideas out ...often explained by people who are trying to find the recipe themselves

Hi @Bebop re White coloured paint finish ~ I like you was under the impression that it was to do with 'heat management' but if you surmise that all makes of such large lenses follow similar(?) design principles.......why are Nikon, Sigma and others black ;)
Yes I think I read it somewhere and it seemed to make sense. Maybe Nikon and Sigma have a secret ingredient? :exit:

@the black fox I'm too worried about blowing highlights to ETTR, but I tend to check my histogram these days before taking too many pics.

Back