Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

ROFPMSL. Yep it was a joke post , I totally love this camera . Now got it running better than anything I have ever used before

Took my Oly 12mm f2 out for a walk first thing this morning.

Riverside Walk by Simon Harrison, on Flickr

It's a lovely little lens :)

Cheers,

Simon.
Nice! I'm glad you shared this. I'm going up to London tomorrow and I was going to leave this lens at home. I bought one second hand and I haven't used it as much as I thought I would. Definitely needs an airing!

Slow Down!!

I need a change of direction. I'm relying on the IBIS too much, and the af as well, using my camera like an AK47 on full auto rather than a sniper rifle.

Spent about 20 mins in the local park recently and tried a fast setting, not realising how fast this camera can take shots, took 766 photos, not many that I was happy with, non at all that I would upload to Flickr.

Think I need to slow down a bit.
Can you imagine doing that on a film camera!

I know exactly how you feel Pete , it’s actually extremely hard to get a bad photo with this camera .i have slowed mine down to between 10 and 13 FPS to save to much repetition

Nice! I'm glad you shared this. I'm going up to London tomorrow and I was going to leave this lens at home. I bought one second hand and I haven't used it as much as I thought I would. Definitely needs an airing!

I have the 12-40mm f2.8, but if I want to carry a lightweight setup the 12mm f2 (along with the Oly 25mm and 45mm f1.8) is a fantastically versatile option. Great for wandering around a town or city :). I also love using the prime lenses - a great way to slow down and force you to think about your compositions rather than just rely on the ability to zoom.

Cheers,

Simon.

Last edited:
I have the 12-40mm f2.8, but if I want to carry a lightweight setup the 12mm f2 (along with the Oly 25mm and 45mm f1.8) is a fantastically versatile option. Great for wandering around a town or city :). I also love using the prime lenses - a great way to slow down and force you to think about your compositions rather than just rely on the ability to zoom.

Cheers,

Simon.
That will be me today with the PenF. I have the 12-40 also, but want to travel light. The rain may make any photography difficult though. Also going to a concert tonight so will take the 75mm 1.8. I don't have the 25mm but I love the 17mm which was as wide as i was going to go.... until I saw your pic :)

Seems like we're on a roll here, I've just found out I've won another Olympus competition winning a VIP place at the Brands BTCC as well as the new Olympus Tough TC-6 Camera and some Power Maxed Racing Merchandise :banana:

Here's what the comp was if you're interested.
https://www.powermaxedracing.com/ho...etition-for-aspiring-motorsport-photographers

This was my winning shot. The judge informed me that there was a lot of deliberation as it's been obviously photoshopped but they decided that it's the final image that counts :)

P6300034-Edit-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr
Well I'm gutted to say I missed out on this weekend due to having (and still have) gastroenteritis. Blooming' typical as it was a great weekend of racing with some high controversy and PMR's first win. I'm still waiting to hear whether I'm still going to get the camera and merchandise or not now.

Last edited:
Well I'm gutted to say I missed out on this weekend due to having (and still have) gastroenteritis. Blooming' typical as it was a great weekend of racing with some high controversy and PMR's first win. I'm still waiting to hear whether I'm still going to get the camera and merchandise or not now.
Sorry to hear that Toby, but I'm sure there'll be other opportunities for you. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Sorry to hear that Toby, but I'm sure there'll be other opportunities for you. Hope you're feeling better soon.
:agree:

Such a shame you had to miss it @snerkler :(. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Simon.
Thanks guys. Yep a real shame, but at least I've been able to enjoy one amazing experience already (y)

Good set Chris

I'm getting black bars across the frame on my EM5 MK2 in Hi Res mode using flssh unless I drop down to 120th second shutter speed.

Any ideas guys?

I'm using the max f8 but thought it was meant to be ok with a higher shutter speed than this?

I'm getting black bars across the frame on my EM5 MK2 in Hi Res mode using flssh unless I drop down to 120th second shutter speed.

Any ideas guys?

I'm using the max f8 but thought it was meant to be ok with a higher shutter speed than this?
I would imagine it’s difficult to have HSS in hi res mode as it’s taking multiple shots so maybe you need to keep to the flash sync speed when using hi res? What is the flash sync of the EM5-II?

I would imagine it’s difficult to have HSS in hi res mode as it’s taking multiple shots so maybe you need to keep to the flash sync speed when using hi res? What is the flash sync of the EM5-II?

It sure as hell's higher than 1/20th!!!

I've shot with no problems in normal mode at 1/200th with the Lencarta Smartflash 2's

I am not sure if this has been mentioned before/recently:-

Re: updating Olympus firmware
I have been using the OLYMPUS Digital Camera Updater and had to get the most recent version when the firmware v3 came out. I have been more than happy with the method ,though would prefer the method to be more like Canon i.e. downloadable file.

However, I was checking and found the "OLYMPUS Digital Camera Updater" is no longer available.....................clicking the link to get it takes you to the Olympus Workspace download page!

Why? The original updater was lean and 'did what it said on the tin' but going forward (when the updater will no longer actually perform a firmware update) I will need to install the equivalent of 'bloatware' just for doing the updating :(

I have been using the OLYMPUS Digital Camera Updater and had to get the most recent version when the firmware v3 came out. I have been more than happy with the method ,though would prefer the method to be more like Canon i.e. downloadable file.

However, I was checking and found the "OLYMPUS Digital Camera Updater" is no longer available.....................clicking the link to get it takes you to the Olympus Workspace download page!

Why? The original updater was lean and 'did what it said on the tin' but going forward (when the updater will no longer actually perform a firmware update) I will need to install the equivalent of 'bloatware' just for doing the updating :(
Odd, it got it updated a couple of weeks ago, but the workspace program is pretty nice too

So thats more money than my OMD EM1 MkII body

Not on release, and this price will drop, especially on the grey market. Watch the likes of HDEW when it's released, I'm sure they'll get it, they already have the Canon M6II £100 less than Amazon

It was nice having a lightweight standalone program to do it but I can only say they have done this to simplify things for them. I read online you can update via a file on the SD card but it looks to not be aimed at consumers as the the updater program does more than just update the firmware (makes additional checks & stores user settings)

well the main argument against MFT used by the full frame brigade is noise and crop ability .. so lets put it to bed first shot is from yesterdays all in focus burst of the gulls playing with there food (rat) and its full size un-cropped followed by a massive crop version from the same frame .
milords I rest my case... in fact if you look closely you can even see the bloody whiskers on the rat
food delivery full size by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

food delivery by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Last edited:
well the main argument against MFT used by the full frame brigade is noise and crop ability .. so lets put it to bed first shot is from yesterdays all in focus burst of the gulls playing with there food (rat) and its full size un-cropped followed by a massive crop version from the same frame .
milords I rest my case... in fact if you look closely you can even see the bloody whiskers on the rat
food delivery full size by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

food delivery by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr
M4/3 crop ability is a lot better than people say for sure, I'm always impressed with the m4/3 system. However, FF does crop better and I can see quite a reduction in the IQ of that crop, but I assume you've gone past 1:1 with that?

not sure of ratios toby but its exceeding expectations which is the point of the post .

under normal circumstances I wouldn't crop a photo this far but as the above shows its possible if needed

So am I right in thinking with the new EM5 MK3 you're getting an EM1 MK2 in a smaller body or have I missed something?

Seems that way, just watch snippets of some of the reviews - they are all over YT atm. The em5 body still wouldn't suit me, and they've made it a bit flimsier it seems over the mk1 and II. They say to save weight, but c'mon, it'll have been to save costs. It was hardly a heavy body to begin with. The IBIS looks to have gotten a good boost though

So am I right in thinking with the new EM5 MK3 you're getting an EM1 MK2 in a smaller body or have I missed something?
Looks like it to me. I've always thought the EM5 to be the prettiest OMD, but the EM1 the most ergonomic.

My long term plan was always to go for the EM1 MK2 but this has put a spanner in the works.

EM5 MK3 with a grip may be the way to go maybe?

Back