Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I’m only a recent convert (sept) but I really cannot fault the CAF on the mkii ,b.i.f are a doddle as long as you ensure a focus lock ,tried caf+tracking and it’s not that good ,so I stick with what works . Exposures are usually spot on, my only deletions are from either duplicates or shots fired before achieving focus . Get one update firmware you won’t go far wrong
Once focus is locked on its extremely hard to lose the subject even when they fly in front of buildings ,trees etc

Last edited:
I own both the EM1 MK II and the EM1-X, and I would say firstly from an image perspective there's nothing between them. TBH the EM1X is the nicest (and lightest) integrated grip body I've ever used (and I've owned Nikon's D2X, D2Xs, D3, D3s, & D4). Ergonomically it's just about perfect. Obviously as you probably know the Em1X has a few extra bell's and whistles up it's sleeve (HH High Res, Live ND, Specific Subject tracking modes, more IBIS adjustability, more focus options in Video like speed, an AF joystick, built in GPS, a slightly larger view EVF, twin UHS II card slots and more buttons for ISO, WB etc.) With regards to the subject tracking modes, whilst this is currently restricted to Cars, Bikes, Planes and Trains, there is hope that Olympus will release a firmware update to include animal and bird tracking as well, although this is more rumor and speculation. But the EM1X with it's twin processors certainly has more HP under the bonnet.

If however you are just talking about pure image quality and general purpose AF, then TBH as said there's nothing between them. When I use my long lenses for birding and wildlife photography (using the 300mm F4 pro with or without 1.4x TC, or the Leica 100-400), then I always used the grip on my EM1 MKII, so in that case, the EM1X is actually no bigger or heavier but has the advantages mentioned above (especially the AF joystick). However if I want a small and light body for general photography or travelling then between the two it would always be the EM1 MK II.

I think what I'm trying to say is as good as the EM1 MKII is (and it is very good), the EM1-X by virtue of it being 3 years newer probably has more headroom for firmware updates than the former and as such just feels a little bit faster and snappier. Also, I would speculate that as the EM1 MK II is over 3 years old, that a MKIII version is probably round the corner next year with no doubt it being a "mini" EM1-X. Having said that the EM1 MK II was launched at nearly £2k (I know I purchased mine for £1,850 back in December 2016), and I doubt the MK III will be much if any cheaper at launch. I also note that i you don't mind a grey import, that Panamoz are currently doing the MK II for £940 new (which in my opinion is a steal).

I must have owned 40-50 cameras in my lifetime, (mostly Nikon starting with the F3 film), and guess which one I have owned the longest out of all of them......The Olympus OMD EM1 MK II - I've owned this for nearly 3 years and to be honest will never sell it and will own it until it dies. It has been (touchwood) bullet proof reliable, no peeling grips, no mechanical issues and never had the sensor cleaned (and it's still clean) in all that time. Sorta tells you everything you need to know doesn't it :)

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
CAF on the E-M1MkII is *much* better than on the E-M1MkI, especially after the recent firmware upgrade. I'm sure the E-M1X is better still but for my needs the E-M1II is sufficient. I upgraded from the E-M1MkI and the upgrade is well worth it just for the CAF performance alone.

Thank you for taking time to reply I managed to speak to a local tog who has offered to meet me with his MK ll for me to try out next week.
I really hope it will turn out to be ok as it's my first choice for a upgrade.

I’m only a recent convert (sept) but I really cannot fault the CAF on the mkii ,b.i.f are a doddle as long as you ensure a focus lock ,tried caf+tracking and it’s not that good ,so I stick with what works . Exposures are usually spot on, my only deletions are from either duplicates or shots fired before achieving focus . Get one update firmware you won’t go far wrong
Once focus is locked on its extremely hard to lose the subject even when they fly in front of buildings ,trees etc

Thank you for you're input it really is appreciated I hope it turns out to be apostive result when I get to try one out :)(y)

a pair of very distant marsh harriers at play today on the dee estuary marshes , the hills of Wales in the background, taken at 400mm x2 so you can realise the distance
harrier playtime by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Ok here is a question for you Olympus users I’m currently using 2x em 1 bodies and a 5MKll I’m looking to upgrade to either a omd em 1 mkll or the em1x I prefer the fact that the MKll has the option of a removable grip/battery pack.
So is there a big difference in between the the 2 cameras performance as I prefer the small body of mkll which I believe has had a big firmware upgrade recently?
I would really appreciate your input.
Or should I just stick with what I have it’s more the continuous focus tracking I’m looking to improve on,
Cheers
As already mentioned the C-AF and tracking on the EM1-II is in a different league compared to the EM1 and EM5-II, it's right up there with some of the best DSLRs. I didn't notice any significant improvement of the EM1x over the EM1-II when shooting motorsport, both felt equally snappy to me. The EM1x has some other nice bells and whistles, but if you don't need those the IMO the EM1-II is the better buy.

If I returned to M43, and it's ever possible with me, I think I'd go with the em1mkII - always wanted to give it a go. Though with the recent FW update on the Pany G9, that would also be very tempting.

I was looking for an edc lens for my mk2. the 12-100 pro is a huge lens, 12-200 less huge but still big, but the Pana 12-60 caught my eye, anyone like this?

I was looking for an edc lens for my mk2. the 12-100 pro is a huge lens, 12-200 less huge but still big, but the Pana 12-60 caught my eye, anyone like this?

There are two versions of this, presumably having mentioned the 12-100 Pro you are thinking of f/2.8 - f/4 version
Thought about it myself, but its only f/2.8 at 12mm and that makes a big difference a lot of the time
I settled on the 12-40 Pro, does nearly all I want and constant f/2.8, in FF terms its a 24-80 and that does most people
Not sure why, but I also have a Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8, smaller and lighter than the Olympus, but still excellent

For those times I want something longer I have the Panasonic 35-100, to be honest don't need it that much
Saying that my daughter has the 12-100 and its excellent, probably the only do it all lens that is great for the entire focal range

I have both the Olympus 12-40 F2.8 and the 12-100 F4. Sure the 12-100 is bigger and heavier, but when you consider it's focal range (24-200mm eqv FF), it's a no brainer for me. A single lens for travelling on the EM1 MK II and the image quality is simply stunning - way better than a superzoom has any right to be and to my eye's indistinguishable in image quality from any of my other pro lenses (and I'm talking about the 12-40, 40-150 & 300mm Pro's) . Couple that with the dual IS (body and lens) and I've got handheld tack sharp shots of over 5 seconds hand held (at the wider end).

It really is an incredible lens and worth the price of entry into the world of Micro Four Thirds itself, but there's no getting away from the fact that it is bigger and heavier than either the Panny 12-60 F2.8-4 or the Olympus 12-40 F2.8.

It's good to have choices.

Last edited:
If I returned to M43, and it's ever possible with me, I think I'd go with the em1mkII - always wanted to give it a go. Though with the recent FW update on the Pany G9, that would also be very tempting.
I was faced with that quandary to Keith , but due to the upgrade only being available on the Olly at the time I went for that , I must admit it has worked out well as aside from performance the MKii 's ability to take four thirds pro glass via adaptor with no loss of functions has put a lot of cheap quality glass in my price range and I'm loving it ..also tried them out on my mates G9 and painfully slow.so done the right thing

This tiny mouse is living in our garden. Yesterday I set up my camera on a small tripod and connected it to my ipad. I sat indoors and watched the little mouse coming out the bush to grab some seeds and cheese I put down for it. The little thing was so cute to watch. It must be smaller than my little finger :)

EM10 mk2 and sigma 60mm

ickle mousy by Skyline:), on Flickr

I have both the Olympus 12-40 F2.8 and the 12-100 F4. Sure the 12-100 is bigger and heavier, but when you consider it's focal range (24-200mm eqv FF), it's a no brainer for me. A single lens for travelling on the EM1 MK II and the image quality is simply stunning - way better than a superzoom has any right to be and to my eye's indistinguishable in image quality from any of my other pro lenses (and I'm talking about the 12-40, 40-150 & 300mm Pro's) . Couple that with the dual IS (body and lens) and I've got handheld tack sharp shots of over 5 seconds hand held (at the wider end).

It really is an incredible lens and worth the price of entry into the world of Micro Four Thirds itself, but there's no getting away from the fact that it is bigger and heavier than either the Panny 12-60 F2.8-4 or the Olympus 12-40 F2.8.

It's good to have choices.

Ref the EM1 Mk2 / 12-100 f4 zoom: Have you found a pouch that fits this combo (plus a couple of filters and a spare battery or two.....)

Hi Jeff the lens is very similar to my 150- 600 Sigma when I say it judders I mean I can hear the focussing mechanism but only when im looking through the viewfinder in subdued room light and its struggling to focus
Is there a setting that shows the screen and viewfinder differently to what an DSLR does as I cant seem to get a WYSIWYG view so if if I over or under expose I cant tell until Ive viewed the image if that makes sense

Hi Jeff the lens is very similar to my 150- 600 Sigma when I say it judders I mean I can hear the focussing mechanism but only when im looking through the viewfinder in subdued room light and its struggling to focus
Is there a setting that shows the screen and viewfinder differently to what an DSLR does as I cant seem to get a WYSIWYG view so if if I over or under expose I cant tell until Ive viewed the image if that makes sense
just sent you a message

I'd be interested to see some side by side pics of the same subject taken at the same time with these 2 cameras - if it's possible?

I'd be interested to see some side by side pics of the same subject taken at the same time with these 2 cameras - if it's possible?
I dont think you would see any difference at all , they are both similar spec .. the differences lie in the way they feel and handle and thats down to individual preferences .. in fact if I uploaded a pile of shots taken over the years with a variety of cameras and lenses with no clues or exif data as to what they were taken with no one would be able to say what they were taken with ..and I'll stand by that statement .. I have never hidden any info on camera /lens/p.p method etc but some folks seem to think its a mega secret .. I personally know one old fella that never uploads a photo anywhere in case someone steals his work (his pics are crap to )

Last edited:

I have a G9 and E M1 ll and will shoot a couple of images for you - I assume using the same lens.
I'll try to do it tomorrow, weather and time permitting!

I have a G9 and E M1 ll and will shoot a couple of images for you - I assume using the same lens.
I'll try to do it tomorrow, weather and time permitting!

That would be great thanks very much. Incidentally which do you prefer in the quality of the pics or perhaps you find them the same?

I dont think you would see any difference at all , they are both similar spec .. the differences lie in the way they feel and handle and thats down to individual preferences .. in fact if I uploaded a pile of shots taken over the years with a variety of cameras and lenses with no clues or exif data as to what they were taken with no one would be able to say what they were taken with ..and I'll stand by that statement .. I have never hidden any info on camera /lens/p.p method etc but some folks seem to think its a mega secret .. I personally know one old fella that never uploads a photo anywhere in case someone steals his work (his pics are crap to )

Just wondering if it's more than just ergonomics and some preferences that many of you are going for the Em1 Mk2 over the G9? I can't think of the members name right now (sorry) but produced amazing images with his GX8 before he moved onto the G9 and loved that, then onto the Canon eos R now back on the EM1 mk11.

Last edited:
That would be great thanks very much. Incidentally which do you prefer in the quality of the pics or perhaps you find them the same?

I've never actually looked at images side by side, and will be surprised if there is any great difference in the results - colour rendition may well be slightly different.
The autofocus is much better on the E M1 and I tend to use it as my go to choice for my birding and wildlife, but always have the G9 ready with an alternative lens.
I actually prefer the handling/ergonics/menu system of the G9 - it will be interesting to see if the update next week improves the autofocus capabilities.

Last edited:
I've never actually looked at images side by side, and will be surprised if there is any great difference in the results - colour rendition may well be slightly different.
The autofocus is much better on the E M1 and I tend to use it as my go to choice for my birding and wildlife, but always have the G9 ready with an alternative lens.
I actually prefer the handling/ergonics/menu system of the G9 - it will be interesting to see if the update next week improves the autofocus capabilities.

I've been reading this lately on here that the EM1 11 as you say has a better autofocus system. I like my G9 for still shots and it fits my hand beautifully so i'm intrigued to find out about a firm update for the G9. I'm also intrigued about the EM1 mk11 as Olympus was my first camera and remained for many years and still have many beautiful legacy lenses. The other reason is the price now - new price is so low now that it might be silly not to buy one to evaluate it?

My only experience of Panasonic was the g80 which although quite fast wasn’t a poor light performer ,hence the change back to Nikon last winter , the olly mkii now though surpasses any camera I have owned before and that’s quiet a few . I will be looking at a back up in a while and it will either a mk1 or another mkii

Hmmm... I may not be doing this whole gear-buying thing right.

I recently bought a low-use E-M10ii body (such a powerful camera in a little body). My idea was to get a Panasonic 14mm/2.5 and use it for street/daily use. Then I saw an advert for the 12-40mm/2.8 Pro, and got distracted ... looked up a few reviews, and somehow I've bought one.

I pick it up tomorrow. Oh, and it comes with an E-M1 attached! :help:

Hmmm... I may not be doing this whole gear-buying thing right.

I recently bought a low-use E-M10ii body (such a powerful camera in a little body). My idea was to get a Panasonic 14mm/2.5 and use it for street/daily use. Then I saw an advert for the 12-40mm/2.8 Pro, and got distracted ... looked up a few reviews, and somehow I've bought one.

I pick it up tomorrow. Oh, and it comes with an E-M1 attached! :help:
That's sounds good to me.
Thec12-40 is great and some will it's too heavy for the E-M10ii but support the lens with your left hand and it will feel fine.

Agreed with Alf, it's beaut of a lens. Shoot it wide open at F2.8 with impunity.

Thanks for confirming. It was pretty hard to find any negative reviews of that lens.

@alf - yes, I'll try the lens on both the E-M1 and E-M10 and see if the latter seems out of balance when handling. Of course, the E-M1 has the phase detect AF and some other bonuses. But it's not such a discreet package... maybe I still need a pancake lens for the E-M10 after all. :rolleyes:

Thanks for confirming. It was pretty hard to find any negative reviews of that lens.

@alf - yes, I'll try the lens on both the E-M1 and E-M10 and see if the latter seems out of balance when handling. Of course, the E-M1 has the phase detect AF and some other bonuses. But it's not such a discreet package... maybe I still need a pancake lens for the E-M10 after all. :rolleyes:

The problem is that the E-M1 has phase detect but it only works with legacy lenses

Only possible negative is lack of stabilisation and slightly weaker performance at 40mm
I use the 12-40 for a lot of my travel photography, but also and don't ask me why own a Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8
This does have stabilisation, but is inferior at 12mm, slightly better at the long end, smaller and lighter too

Not much to choose, but I do favour the Olympus, the field of view varies a fair bit between the two though.
Quite surprised when viewing photos taken at supposedly the same focal length, fair disparity between the two lenses

Make sure you have the latest firmware on the E-M1, mine had dreadful shutter shock without the requisite updates.
Even then it has to be set, can't remember exactly how, but Google will i'm sure explain it all

The 12-40mm is a cracking lens, and is my go to travel lens. I don't do street photography really, but the EM1-II and 12-40mm feels pretty discrete to me when I've been used to big FF setups ;)
Only possible negative is lack of stabilisation and slightly weaker performance at 40mm

Make sure you have the latest firmware on the E-M1, mine had dreadful shutter shock without the requisite updates.
Even then it has to be set, can't remember exactly how, but Google will i'm sure explain it all
Obviously the lack of IS is not an issue when used with Olympus OMD bodies, and I must admit I've not noticed any weakness at 40mm, but then I've not done any 'scientific' tests ;)

As for the shutter shock, I always tend to use anti-shock (EFCS) on every camera now as I've never encountered any downsides with doing this (y)

Obviously the lack of IS is not an issue when used with Olympus OMD bodies, and I must admit I've not noticed any weakness at 40mm, but then I've not done any 'scientific' tests ;)
As for the shutter shock, I always tend to use anti-shock (EFCS) on every camera now as I've never encountered any downsides with doing this (y)

Don't think any zoom lens is at its best when used at the longest end, not really a weakness, but not as good as at 12mm.
Must admit that recently i'm leaning more and more towards the smaller lighter Panasonic 12-35
Using it with a Panasonic body it gives dual is and as the saying goes every little helps

Shutter shock is a real issue and wanted to let Goldtop know of its existence, ruined my first experience with the E-M1
Needs to be set in the menu, anti shock I think and then recall something about using settings with a diamond above it
Reminding me how much I dislike Olympus menus compared to Panasonic :confused:

I thought this might interest my fellow Olympus owners.
I've not posted it as a topic on the main forum as I do not wish to further the recent rumours about the possible demise of Olympus.
It's obviously time for us to scrap our gear and buy smartphones instead. Our cameras do not autofocus, our lenses are too slow etc. etc..

They start talking Olympus at 10 mins 35 secs.
Enjoy!!

View: https://youtu.be/ueXKRA5gHww

Shutter shock is a real issue and wanted to let Goldtop know of its existence, ruined my first experience with the E-M1
Needs to be set in the menu, anti shock I think and then recall something about using settings with a diamond above it

.... As I have never heard of Shutter Shock I looked it up in my M1X manual (very similar to the M1 II probably) and by default it is actioned automatically (unless you switch it Off) whenever a shutter speed of slower than 1/320s is selected. You can also set the shutter-release delay time - Set to 0sec by default.

Shooting completely Silent also switches the shutter from mechanical to electronic front curtain shutter but you guys probably already know this (Olympus and m4/3 are all new to me).

It was the earlier cameras that needed a firmware update to introduce counter measures.
I read somewhere that the E-M1 ii had a redesigned sensor assembly to counteract it.
The newer Panasonic cameras have been redesigned too and reckoned to have eliminated 95% of it

Back