Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

But why would you want to ? It’s already F6.3 at the long end. So that would be F9 with a 1.4x and F13 wide open with the 2x ?

99% of my prop aircraft shots were taken at around 1/125 f12-f14 iso100 on bright days, I really don't need fast lenses for props, but we are now looking into more wildlife in woodland where faster lenses would come into there own, so I guess a TC would make the lens unusable in the foliage, anyway it was really only a question.
And anyway I am really looking forward to the Oly, havent had an Oly since 1981 an OM10.....have they changed much :LOL::coat:

99% of my prop aircraft shots were taken at around 1/125 f12-f14 iso100 on bright days, I really don't need fast lenses for props, but we are now looking into more wildlife in woodland where faster lenses would come into there own, so I guess a TC would make the lens unusable in the foliage, anyway it was really only a question.
And anyway I am really looking forward to the Oly, havent had an Oly since 1981 an OM10.....have they changed much :LOL::coat:
It’s different stopping a lens down to f11 to having one where the max aperture is F11. When focussing lenses are wide open so that the AF system can gather light to be able to focus and the lens only stops down to take a shot. Anything over f8 and there’s not enough light for the AF system to work, and at f8 it’s not great.

It’s different stopping a lens down to f11 to having one where the max aperture is F11. When focussing lenses are wide open so that the AF system can gather light to be able to focus and the lens only stops down to take a shot. Anything over f8 and there’s not enough light for the AF system to work, and at f8 it’s not great.

.... Re what I have highlit in bold :

Doesn't that depend on which camera body (and brand) the lens with TC is mounted on?

.... Re what I have highlit in bold :

Doesn't that depend on which camera body (and brand) the lens with TC is mounted on?
It does to a degree but I’ve not come across a camera that can focus with a lens with a max aperture of greater than f8 (I’m not saying there aren’t any, just none I’m aware of), and even then you’re restricted to the focus points that work. Some cameras won’t focus behind f5.6 although f8 seems to be the new ‘standard’.

This has actually been some of the issues with mirrorless as some stop the lens down straight away which is one of the reasons some mirrorless struggle in low light. Tbh I’m not 100% sure how Olympus operates but I think they stop down straight away, at least I believe my EM1 did.

changing the subject my new macro lens has just turned up a Samyang 100mm f2.8 macro and I have just taken a couple of trial/test shots indoors .. its razor sharp and exactly what I have been after .. think my camera lens system is nearly complete now .. better stop buying for a bit in case the better half throws her dummies out of the pram

It does to a degree but I’ve not come across a camera that can focus with a lens with a max aperture of greater than f8 (I’m not saying there aren’t any, just none I’m aware of), and even then you’re restricted to the focus points that work. Some cameras won’t focus behind f5.6 although f8 seems to be the new ‘standard’.

This has actually been some of the issues with mirrorless as some stop the lens down straight away which is one of the reasons some mirrorless struggle in low light. Tbh I’m not 100% sure how Olympus operates but I think they stop down straight away, at least I believe my EM1 did.

.... Popping a 2x on some Canon L lenses which then result in a widest aperture of F/11 will still autofocus when mounted on Canon's high-end D-SLR bodies but yes, AF pts zone choices can then be restricted. I would expect Nikon's D-SLR system to perform similarly.

The size of sensor is likely to be a factor too because of light gathering capabilities.

Relatively poor low light performance from m4/3 (compared with full-frame D-SLR) is a downside but not a deal-breaker for me as a wildlife photographer but my attitude is more what good results can I achieve with my M1X rather than keep comparing it with my Canon flagship D-SLR. They are both just tools and the camera takes the photograph but the photographer makes the photograph.

changing the subject my new macro lens has just turned up a Samyang 100mm f2.8 macro and I have just taken a couple of trial/test shots indoors .. its razor sharp and exactly what I have been after .. think my camera lens system is nearly complete now .. better stop buying for a bit in case the better half throws her dummies out of the pram

One thing I miss on MTF and my A7 is a longer macro. I had a Sigma 150mm f2.8 for my Canon DSLR's and since going mirrorless I haven't had anything quite like it. I have a film era Sigma 50mm f2.8 1:1 but you don't get the perspective you'd get with the longer lens and for some pictures I still miss that 150mm.

Relatively poor low light performance from m4/3 (compared with full-frame D-SLR) is a downside but not a deal-breaker for me as a wildlife photographer but my attitude is more what good results can I achieve with my M1X rather than keep comparing it with my Canon flagship D-SLR. They are both just tools and the camera takes the photograph but the photographer makes the photograph.

MFT is relatively poor when you look closely but for whole pictures viewed anything like normally I think it does well. For me the only real problem is some artificial lighting which can look horrible at even ISO 1600 but that's true for all not just MFT. In friendlier low light levels I'm very happy with what detail can be captured at ISO 25600 despite noise being present.

One thing I miss on MTF and my A7 is a longer macro. I had a Sigma 150mm f2.8 for my Canon DSLR's and since going mirrorless I haven't had anything quite like it. I have a film era Sigma 50mm f2.8 1:1 but you don't get the perspective you'd get with the longer lens and for some pictures I still miss that 150mm.
one of the reasons I went for this one adding in the crop factor its equal. to 200mm and light enough to hand hold unlike some of the bigger sigmas .. its also a native MFT mount so no adaptors needed. it so far seems extremely sharp even wide open , probably due to the fact there made for full frame so your only using the centre section .. the only downside I can so far find is being a manual lens when stopped down the screen darkens .. but its early days yet so I will be reading up and playing around

one of the reasons I went for this one adding in the crop factor its equal. to 200mm and light enough to hand hold unlike some of the bigger sigmas .. its also a native MFT mount so no adaptors needed. it so far seems extremely sharp even wide open , probably due to the fact there made for full frame so your only using the centre section .. the only downside I can so far find is being a manual lens when stopped down the screen darkens .. but its early days yet so I will be reading up and playing around

Stop it.

I was saying in another thread there's nothing I want for Xmas and then I come here and read this...

.... Popping a 2x on some Canon L lenses which then result in a widest aperture of F/11 will still autofocus when mounted on Canon's high-end D-SLR bodies but yes, AF pts zone choices can then be restricted. I would expect Nikon's D-SLR system to perform similarly.

The size of sensor is likely to be a factor too because of light gathering capabilities.

Maybe the D5 will work at f11 but I’m pretty sure the D750, D850 and D500 were rated to f8 (although admittedly I never tried an f11 combo to see if they’d still work). Strangely the older D750 with the 51 point AF system worked better than the newer D500 and D850 with the 153 point AF system in this regard. Using my Tamron 150-600mm which was f6.3 the D500 and D850 would only use the restricted AF points from 500mm onwards yet the D750 could use all AF points at all times.

here ya go just for ALAN WOOF WOOF the current line up .
L to R . PL100-400,50-200SWD F2.8,1.4TC below ,12-60 F2.8 SWD ,and Samyang 100mm f2.8 on omd1-mkii body

the line up by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

I use a 4/3 sigma 105 f2.8 there was a Sigma 150 f2.8 also

There are rumours of a Zuiko 90mm f2.8 lens

Macro-rig by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Last edited:
Once I get used to it, I reckon I'm going to like the EM-1 II

Feels nice, menu is taking some getting to grips with, but it is all coming together quite nice.

Rosie, unedited, just a crop, WB isn't out, we have soft lighting which gives a warm yellow cast

PB230012 by danger_mouse1964, on Flickr

Last edited:
here ya go just for ALAN WOOF WOOF the current line up .
L to R . PL100-400,50-200SWD F2.8,1.4TC below ,12-60 F2.8 SWD ,and Samyang 100mm f2.8 on omd1-mkii body

the line up by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

.... So that PL 100-400mm is equivalent to 200-800mm? What's a "PL" please? < Panasonic?

Panasonic Leica Robin, mine is on its way :)

Be aware there was an issue with a few Olympus cameras and the Pana 100-400.
Not sure exactly of the cause, but outcome was a tight fit at the mount and some metal slivers shaved off.
About the time of the last NEC photography show because I heard someone mention it at the Olympus stand
Didn't look into it any further because I only have Panasonic gear apart from an Olympus 12-40mm

Cashback offers on various Panasonic lenses.

eg 100-400 zoom; £200 off

Current best offer according to Camerapricebuster is at Camera World £1079 before cashback. Hardly worth buying grey, even before claiming the VAT back.........

@tijuana taxi - people complain that the zoom action is VERY tight on the 100- 400 zoom, although that wouldn't be resticted to Oly users, obviously. There are also problems with the lens mount breaking off the lens in some circumstances, eg if the camera is dropped with lens in situ. Again not Olly specific.

Last edited:
Not sure exactly of the cause, but outcome was a tight fit at the mount and some metal slivers shaved off.
About the time of the last NEC photography show because I heard someone mention it at the Olympus stand
Didn't look into it any further because I only have Panasonic gear apart from an Olympus 12-40mm
I’ve not had that with mine thankfully, but the fit is tighter thanks to the slightly larger rubber gasket.

As yet never had a problem with mine ,nice fit ,smooth zoom action, fast focus and good photos as long as you don’t overdo the expected reach . Something we all tend to do at times ...
Also very handy as a butterfly lens in the summer due to its close focus ability

- people complain that the zoom action is VERY tight on the 100- 400 zoom, although that wouldn't be restricted to Oly users, obviously. There are also problems with the lens mount breaking off the lens in some circumstances, eg if the camera is dropped with lens in situ. Again not Olly specific.

.... @Dangermouse1964 Pete, you can always send it back and get a refund simply saying it is not what you expected it to be - The tight zoom action would be sufficient if questioned but you are totally within your buyer's rights if you do so within a certain timeframe.

It's reasons like these being described above that made me decide a long time ago NEVER to mix different brands regardless of how much money might be saved. Modern cameras are complicated and there can be electronic incompatibilities as well. I would rather buy a used matching-brand lens than a brand new third-party lens.

But each to their own :) .

I don't know about the 100-400, [black fox uses one on his Oly body without issue as he states above], but I used a few Olympus lenses on my Panasonic G80 and never had one issue. I opted for the 12-40 2.8 over Pany's own 12-35 because of the Olympus' closer focusing, better magnification [that little gem of a zoom does 1:3] and that extra bit of reach. The lens not having OIS wasn't an issue either as most M43 bodies now have excellent IBIS. But, main point ... the Oly lenses felt native, just as if they were Panasonic tbh. They are sharing the same system, I think it's only the occasional niggle gets reported

@tijuana taxi - people complain that the zoom action is VERY tight on the 100- 400 zoom, although that wouldn't be resticted to Oly users, obviously.

I've read a few times of this being an issue with people not realising the zoom has a lock on it. I've no idea whether this explains all the complaints, but it would seem it does explain some of the "VERY" tight zoom action complaints.

However, the issue of not being able to get the lens repaired seems to persist, in spite of it apparently being resolved at the end of last year. Recent posts in "another place" are still reporting Panasonic UK only offering refurbished 100-400s (at nearly the same price as buying new) when a broken lens mount needs to be repaired.

I have read on a few websites that Panasonic and Olympus are fully compatible, the only issue is the Panasonic cameras wont have image stabilisation if using Olympus lenses.

.... @Dangermouse1964 Pete, you can always send it back and get a refund simply saying it is not what you expected it to be - The tight zoom action would be sufficient if questioned but you are totally within your buyer's rights if you do so within a certain timeframe.

It's reasons like these being described above that made me decide a long time ago NEVER to mix different brands regardless of how much money might be saved. Modern cameras are complicated and there can be electronic incompatibilities as well. I would rather buy a used matching-brand lens than a brand new third-party lens.

I will give it a try and if it is overly tight to put on and remove then I will look at a replacement lens, but out of the 1000s of Oly users that do use this lens, there only seems to be a few that have this problem, possibly a bad batch thats now sorted, hope so as I want to keep the lens

I have read on a few websites that Panasonic and Olympus are fully compatible, the only issue is the Panasonic cameras wont have image stabilisation if using Olympus lenses.

Not exactly, originally Panasonic only had Optical Image Stabilisation (OIS), and Olympus only had IBIS, and no Olymus lenses had OIS, So what you say "was" correct.

But all modern Panasonics now have IBIS, which works with both Olympus and Panasonic lenses, and some Olympus lenses now have OIS (300mm and 12-100), which works with Panasonics.

However, Panasonic only offers dual stabilisation (combining OIS with IBIS) with Panasonic lenses, and Olympus only offers dual stabilisation with Olympus lenses. It seems that dual stabilisation isn't part of the M43 standard.

The Panasonic-Leica lenses aren't really third party lenses in the way you are probably thinking of third party lenses.

Both the Panasonic lenses and Olympus lenses are built to the same m43 standard (https://www.four-thirds.org/en/microft/whitepaper.html) which has the aim of a single compatible standard that manufacturers can sign up to ( so no reverse engineering). But see my other post on dual IS, which doesn't work across the different makes.

The PL versions of Panasonic lenses (designed by Leica, built by Panasonic) offer some great wildlife options, the 100-400 mentioned already and the 200mm f2.8 with matching x1.4 and x2 TC which usefully expand the wildlife capability of M43.

I've read a few times of this being an issue with people not realising the zoom has a lock on it. I've no idea whether this explains all the complaints, but it would seem it does explain some of the "VERY" tight zoom action complaints.

However, the issue of not being able to get the lens repaired seems to persist, in spite of it apparently being resolved at the end of last year. Recent posts in "another place" are still reporting Panasonic UK only offering refurbished 100-400s (at nearly the same price as buying new) when a broken lens mount needs to be repaired.
Yep I’ve mentioned this before about the lock. When the lock is on the zoom can still be changed, although it’s very stiff. I think that some people assume the lock is off because the zoom ring can still rotate, albeit with some extra effort.

.... Oooh, that's potentially good news and especially because it is a PRO spec lens. As a PRO lens it's almost certain to be able to support focus-stacking onboard the M1 bodies.

With such a long focal length (200mm equivalent) its prime market would be wildlife minibeast shooters (bods like me!). Canon's, now old and discontinued, 180mm Macro lens was very popular.

m4/3 lenses are designed to be compatible, it’s an agreement between Olympus and Panasonic, just like it is that they can’t each have the same lens which is why you have the Panny 12-35mm f2.8 vs Olympus 12-40mm f2.8, or the Panny 100-300mm vs Olympus 75-300mm.

Using Olympus lenses on Panny bodies is absolutely fine, and are designed to be so. It’s not like using Canon on Sony, or even Sigma on Canon. The only feature you miss out on is dual IBIS.

The Panasonic-Leica lenses aren't really third party lenses in the way you are probably thinking of third party lenses.

Both the Panasonic lenses and Olympus lenses are built to the same m43 standard (https://www.four-thirds.org/en/microft/whitepaper.html) which has the aim of a single compatible standard that manufacturers can sign up to ( so no reverse engineering). But see my other post on dual IS, which doesn't work across the different makes.

The PL versions of Panasonic lenses (designed by Leica, built by Panasonic) offer some great wildlife options, the 100-400 mentioned already and the 200mm f2.8 with matching x1.4 and x2 TC which usefully expand the wildlife capability of M43.

.... Thanks Graham, I had indeed thought of the third-party lenses as being like Sigma and Tamron < Good lenses (some) but with definite limitations. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

And thanks @snerkler for Reply #17,237 (that's a lot of posts!!!) - I am learning new things about m4/3 every day.

I'm going to wait for the Olympus ED 150-400mm+1.25x F/4.5 PRO expected next summer. When the built-in 1.25x is switched on the widest aperture becomes F/5.6. So that becomes 1000mm @F/5.6 plus all the extreme weatherproofing < All very attractive and much lighter weight and smaller than my old Canon EF 500mm F/4L II + 2x (now sold but much loved).

.... Thanks Graham, I had indeed thought of the third-party lenses as being like Sigma and Tamron < Good lenses (some) but with definite limitations. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

And thanks @snerkler for Reply #17,237 (that's a lot of posts!!!) - I am learning new things about m4/3 every day.

I'm going to wait for the Olympus ED 150-400mm+1.25x F/4.5 PRO expected next summer. When the built-in 1.25x is switched on the widest aperture becomes F/5.6. So that becomes 1000mm @F/5.6 plus all the extreme weatherproofing < All very attractive and much lighter weight and smaller than my old Canon EF 500mm F/4L II + 2x (now sold but much loved).
I’m expecting the 150-400mm to be one impressive lens.
I didn’t realise I’d made so many posts, I need to get a life :LOL:

Back