Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

On my EM1X, when I select multiple AF groups (5 point, 9 point etc) and AF-C, then it will use the centre AF Point of that group as It's initial acquisition area (provided AF setting A1 - "C-AF Centre Start" and "C-AF Centre Priority" are set up to include within it's settings the AF group (number of focus points) you have selected. In that case, the AF point in the centre will illuminate green (as that's it's default point for the AF group) and switch to one of the other points in the group when the AF system determines the centre one is no longer the optimal focus area and it then uses one of the other points in the group (just one at a time) to acquire focus.

So (on mine at least), irrespective of how many focus points are in your selected group, only one will immuniate at a time. The only exception will be when you select all focus points where more than one AF point may cover the selected focus distance and so more than one focus square might illuminate at any given time.

Thanks for that explanation Andrew, coming from Canon so a new learning curve!

No worries. It's worth putting the effort in to get to know it, as the EM1X (like the EM1 MKII) are two of the most configurable cameras I've ever owned, and it does take a while to dial in your preferred settings and get to know how the beast works.

Yeah there’s a lot to get your head around! The download instructions are 600+ pages! Where’s the Asprins! Cheers.

Olympus menus at first are very daunting but once used to them it’s easier than canon .. my first time out I didn’t even know how to change focus points now it’s all second nature

Yeah there’s a lot to get your head around! The download instructions are 600+ pages! Where’s the Asprins! Cheers.

.... The downloaded PDF manual has a comprehensive index and so it's easy to find specific pages in Adobe Acrobat. Just look up what you need to know as you become familiar.

For example, literally after writing this Reply, I want to change the default number of images displayed in the index playback .... p.56 & 515: Menu > Cog > D1 > Info settings > Choose number of pictures for index playback display.

Btw, make sure the firmware for both your M1X and your ED 300mm PRO are up to date. It's easy to update via Olympus Workspace which you can download for free after you have registered your products. You can also save all your customised settings in a file via Workspace. Olympus have really thought things through pretty well.

I come from a Canon system too (and still have part of it for now).

Last edited:
.... The downloaded PDF manual has a comprehensive index and so it's easy to find specific pages in Adobe Acrobat. Just look up what you need to know as you become familiar.

For example, literally after writing this Reply, I want to change the default number of images displayed in the index playback .... p.56 & 515: Menu > Cog > Info settings > D1 > Choose number of pictures for index playback display.

Btw, make sure the firmware for both your M1X and your ED 300mm PRO are up to date. It's easy to update via Olympus Workspace which you can download for free after you have registered your products.

I come from a Canon system too (and still have part of it for now).

Thanks for that, I didn’t realise firmware for Lens too! Just checked it’s showing 1.0 body, 1.5 lens? Is that correct?

Thanks for that, I didn’t realise firmware for Lens too! Just checked it’s showing 1.0 body, 1.5 lens? Is that correct?

.... My M1X body is now 1.1 and 300mm PRO is 1.5.

Best to update the body without a lens mounted - It's just a good safe practice.

I have edited my Reply #17,366 since you quoted it.

Can anyone answer this question please. I have just got an e m1x and a 300f4. Just setting it up at the moment and doing the focus points, I have set a single point & a cluster of 9 points. When I press the back button on the single point it comes up Green which seems fine. but with the cluster of 9 when I press BB only one Green square appears and it keeps moving on its own inside 4 brackets in view finder? Should there not be a cluster of 9 Green squares? And not just one moving around? Cheers in advance,

It's the same on the M1 ii - I believe it just shows the particular point of the 9 selected that is the actual focus point at that particular split second.
Hope that makes sense!

I love the flexibility of the Olympus controls, but I forget why I set something different to the default, which confuses me!

If your green box is a very mobile larger square relative to the smaller AF rectangle and if it moves around, then I suggest you have the camera set to C-AF (Continuous) rather than S-AF (Single) and it is tracking your original AF point's target.

Robin, I selected the 9 points for BIF with CAF. The green square is normal size just moving around between 4 brackets? I originally thought the nine points should be lit up ie not one moving around on its own? Like it does on the Sony videos.???

TBH with any camera I just go through the entire menu and see what each setting does, much easier than trying to work out what the manuals is on about ;)

TBH with any camera I just go through the entire menu and see what each setting does, much easier than trying to work out what the manuals is on about ;)

Snap, thats my problem haven't got a great deal of patience with manuals etc so that's what iv'e been doing along with utube vids. but getting there slowly.

.... We are all different but I like to download a manual and read some of it before any purchase (including a camera) arrives so that I don't waste time getting to grips with important basics. Don't forget that any new camera is a new toy and we are impatient to play with it! :D

I am new to m4/3 and to Olympus and bought my M1X a month ago and am still gradually customising settings as influenced by shooting with it - I don't need to rush it and I prefer to understand why I am setting something. I usually average about 100 shots a day but today, for example, I have shot 407 RAW images mostly of Goldfinches in my wildlife garden.

Snap, thats my problem haven't got a great deal of patience with manuals etc so that's what iv'e been doing along with utube vids. but getting there slowly.

.... YouTube videos can be helpful sometimes but beware! Some those characters who make videos may not use a camera the same way as you do nor in a way which might suit you better. So take them with a pinch of salt.

Last edited:
.... My M1X body is now 1.1 and 300mm PRO is 1.5.

Best to update the body without a lens mounted - It's just a good safe practice.

I have edited my Reply #17,366 since you quoted it.

Firmware 3.1 is available for the M1 II Robin, is it easy to update like Fuji, just download to card and update or is it all done online

Firmware 3.1 is available for the M1 II Robin, is it easy to update like Fuji, just download to card and update or is it all done online

.... Hi Pete, the original question I was answering came from @TONY C. who has just bought a M1X not a M1 II.

I am sure the following also works for a M1 II but for the Olympus M1X all you have to do is connect your camera to the computer which has Olympus Workspace installed and follow the prompts. This has the valuable and important advantage of being able to save all your customisations so that you can always reload them again (or to a second body) - You ain't gonna remember them all!

FWIW I bought a printed manual from eBay for my E-M10 for a fiver.
There's a seller on there who lists lots of manuals - I'm assuming they download the PDF and print and bind to order.
When I wanted the E-M10ii I got in touch and they listed it in a couple of hours.
This was what I bought.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OLYMPUS-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I found having a bound book a useful compliment to the searchable PDF on the computer.

.... We are all different but I like to download a manual and read some of it before any purchase (including a camera) arrives so that I don't waste time getting to grips with important basics. Don't forget that any new camera is a new toy and we are impatient to play with it! :D

I am new to m4/3 and to Olympus and bought my M1X a month ago and am still gradually customising settings as influenced by shooting with it - I don't need to rush it and I prefer to understand why I am setting something. I usually average about 100 shots a day but today, for example, I have shot 407 RAW images mostly of Goldfinches in my wildlife garden.

.... YouTube videos can be helpful sometimes but beware! Some those characters who make videos may not use a camera the same way as you do nor in a way which might suit you better. So take them with a pinch of salt.
I always download manuals too but I just play with each menu and setting to see what they do. The in camera info helps too

one from a couple of weeks ago .. at last there giving good weather for tomorrow starting to climb the walls now ,on the verge of licking the windows
I know what you mean, blame me, since I got the 50-200 and the converter, I just look out the window at the weather:(

I am easily pleased, I really do think the ED 45 f1.8 is a really cracking bit of kit, absolutely stunning portrait lens, I thought the 40-150 would be my favourite lens but, this little gem is just amazing...……...enough said, what's your take on it.

I am easily pleased, I really do think the ED 45 f1.8 is a really cracking bit of kit, absolutely stunning portrait lens, I thought the 40-150 would be my favourite lens but, this little gem is just amazing...……...enough said, what's your take on it.

.... I don't have the ED 45mm F/1.8 but there is no doubt that such a focal length (90mm equivalent) is considered perfect by portrait photographers. There is also an ED 45mm F/1.2 PRO but doubtless much more expensive.

I do have the ED 40-150mm F/2.8 PRO and because it also has the option of mounting my 1.4x MC-14, its flexibility and gold standard weatherproofing better suits my photography which is 95% wildlife.

But my favourite (most used) lens is the ED 300mm (600mm equiv) F/4 PRO. I only have two m4/3 lenses.

I did have the 45mm f1.8, agree very good. So good yet so small, great for many uses & good bokeh. (sold to my Dad with my Pen ep5) Will be getting the Pro version in the future because of the weather proofing.

I really loved the 50-140 on the Fuji system, and thought I would never have the 40-150 off the new Olympus, its a complete new world having the smaller primes that are so good and don't break the bank, and I cant seem to take the tiny 45 off

I did have the 45mm f1.8, agree very good. So good yet so small, great for many uses & good bokeh. (sold to my Dad with my Pen ep5) Will be getting the Pro version in the future because of the weather proofing.

I have only been an Oly convert for a week so will start getting the Pro glass soon, well I have already started with the 40-150 and the 1.4tc but do have the 45f1.8 and the 12-50 which is one, if not the most underrated lenses I have ever come across, what an absolute gem of a lens that is.

Not yet found any lenses that don’t work well ,I sold my 45 f1.8 to fund other purchases but will get another when funds allow

The 45mm F1.8 is a gem - ultra small and quite fast, but the Leica Nocticron 42.5 F1.2 I part ex'd mine for, oh my gosh - what a lens. Yes, i's alot bigger and heavier but with amazing bokeh for a micro four thirds lens.

It is a great lens. Sometimes I regret selling mine, I had a really good copy too.
The 45mm F1.8 is a gem - ultra small and quite fast, but the Leica Nocticron 42.5 F1.2 I part ex'd mine for, oh my gosh - what a lens. Yes, i's alot bigger and heavier but with amazing bokeh for a micro four thirds lens.
I'd love to try the 42.5mm f1.2 but I can't justify it as I already have a 'portrait' lens for my Nikon.

I reckon I could live with the bigger size....may just have to sweet talk the missus after the man in red has been and gone.

Here is the Nocticron at F2.8 on our female cocker - Daisy.

Jeff you are a Beast when it comes to M43 wildlife, I would add that Robin is too but he's a n00b and needs to show off more on this system :)

.... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Challenge accepted!

Goldfinches in my wildlife (very low maintenance!) garden this week : [Jeff tells me that images look better on Flickr. Plus I don't hide my settings etc there]

GOLDFINCH BEAK FIT FOR PURPOSE by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Enlargement of same image as above :

GOLDFINCH BEAK FIT FOR PURPOSE by Robin Procter, on Flickr

GOLDFINCH ON TEASEL by Robin Procter, on Flickr

GOLDFINCH PERCHED ON TEASEL by Robin Procter, on Flickr

GOLDFINCHES ON TEASEL by Robin Procter, on Flickr

I am beginning to feel more confident about what the M1X system can potentially deliver. Afterall, my Canon flagship 1DX-2 is a hard act to follow!

Back