Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

.... There's no such thing as the perfect camera, or perfect lens! eh?

I didn't mind carrying the 500mm but it began to limit me when wanting to also have extra lenses with me.

You have hit the nail on the head - We accept things like a busier background occasionally or not being able to work so well in poorer light but I don't have a problem with that. It's better to focus on what we do have rather than what we don't and the m4/3 is very much more enabling.
Yep very true. When I first started doing motorsport with m4/3 I struggled to ‘hide’ the catch fencing, but I’ve adapted and it’s not much of an issue now.

I’m lucky that I can run two systems so I’ve got the best of both worlds. I’m a huge fan of Olympus though.

For those looking for printed manuals there are sellers on eBay who will send you a spiral bound copy for well under a tenner.
I imagine (based on my E-M10ii manual) that they're downloading and printing the PDF so technically it's perhaps a copyright issue but as Olympus only include Quick Start guides and PDF I can't see much harm. I asked the seller I used to list the Mkii version as they only had Mki and it was available the next day.
The seller I used seems to have disappeared (I wonder why? ;) ) but PDF2Print seem similar, there are a couple of others on a cursory search.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/mobilephonemanualsandpccds/Olympus-A4/_i.html?_storecat=16304426017

Panasonic 14-140mm and 'shutter shock' with Olympus OM-D bodies (E-M1 and E-M10ii, in my case).

I just delved into this interesting comparison thread - https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3992828#forum-post-57621524 - and can't quite get my head around the shuttershock problem when using that Panasonic lens. Do either/both of the E-M1 and E-M10ii have the settings to avoid it?

E-M1 does have settings to negate it, came with a firmware update, v3 I think.
My first E-M1 went back because of shutter shock, definitely a thing and not Internet bs

Can't recall exactly, but there are a few things that need changing in the menu, something to do with a diamond symbol rings a bell
I now use Panasonic bodies that have been designed so as to negate the issue.

Thanks - will keep digging for info on firmware and settings. The Oly 14-150 II is an easier choice, but I thought the IQ examples showed the Panasonic 14-140 to perform slightly better.

E-M1 does have settings to negate it, came with a firmware update, v3 I think.
My first E-M1 went back because of shutter shock, definitely a thing and not Internet bs

Can't recall exactly, but there are a few things that need changing in the menu, something to do with a diamond symbol rings a bell
I now use Panasonic bodies that have been designed so as to negate the issue.
My first EM5-II had horrendous shutter shock, that went back for an exchange straight away ;)

Bizarre! I think I'll print off a B+W pattern/grid, and do some tripod-based tests at various shutter speeds and settings (diamond/heart) with the E-M10ii. If the DP forum postings are true, the problem is worse with some lenses than others, and that Panasonic 14-140 is especially tricky. For now, I can try with the 12-40/2.8 and 40-150/4.

Bizarre! I think I'll print off a B+W pattern/grid, and do some tripod-based tests at various shutter speeds and settings (diamond/heart) with the E-M10ii. If the DP forum postings are true, the problem is worse with some lenses than others, and that Panasonic 14-140 is especially tricky. For now, I can try with the 12-40/2.8 and 40-150/4.
I wouldn’t go looking for issues tbh, if they’re there it’s obvious.

I had the E-M1 and 12-40 combo and it was definitely an issue, didn't bother to do much testing, just returned them.
Had another one few years later and it was fine with the firmware update
My daughter has an E-M5 ii that doesn't seem affected with any lenses and she has a good selection
Never heard of problems with the E-M1 ii, think it has a redesigned shutter that is cushioned in some way or other

Last edited:
There are three different versions of Lumix 14-140mm stabilised lens. Version 1 is F4.0-5.8, Version 2 is F3.5-5.6 and Version 3 is also F3.5-5.6 but supports Dual IS on later Lumix cameras such as the GX85, G80, G9 and GH5, Version 3 is probably optically identical to Version 2.

My lens is Version 1, which I used extensively for studio and location shoots on my GH3. It is substantially heavier than the later Versions, but otherwise, I have never had any issues such as shutter shock on my GH3 with this lens. It's only failing is that over the time of my ownership, the lens zoom now has less friction and will extend when pointed downwards. For a 10X zoom, it's performance is very good for the kind of use I put it too, typically shooting at F8. I've been unable to produce shutter shock on any of my M43 Olympus or Lumix cameras past or present, which included the alleged 'enfant terrible' Lumix G7. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, I just have never seen it on my camera and lens combinations. In general, I'm happy to mix and match my camera bodies and lenses from both manufacturers.

I have never owned the Olympus 14-150mm lens so couldn't offer any valid comparison. If buying new, it probably makes sense to match the lens to its respective body make. Secondhand, the Lumix versions seem to be more readily available on the secondhand market but the Olympus is in the same ball park price wise.

The white diamond symbol on my EM1 Mk1 indicates that the electronic shutter has been selected, it will certainly stop any actual shutter shock but brings another raft of issues on such as moving subjects.

Hmmm... having a run of bad luck with the Olympus kit. "Please check the status of a lens" with the 40-150mm/f4 "plastic fantastic". This message appeared on first power-up today after the lens had acted up while I was out yesterday. Then the symptoms were inability to focus AF or MF - not just missed focus, but the whole image was defocussed and only slightly changed when I rotated the focus ring.

Today, I cleaned the contacts - no change. The camera (E-M10ii) works fine with the 12-40/Pro and 'dumb' BCL 9mm lenses.

And a quick Web search shows dozens (perhaps hundreds) of Olympus users who have suffered the same on this and other affordable lenses. As it's all fly by wire, there's no chance for me even to hack out the electronics and convert into a full manual lens. I am pretty sure it's uneconomical to repair, so I think I can only flog it for peanuts for parts.

This, after having to send the E-M1 back to Oly for a fix. Um... they say bad luck happens in 3s...

Last edited:
Done it, I let the wife use my E-M1 II this morning to show her its easier to use than the Fuji X-T3 I bought her and lighter/smaller than the D500 she was very impressed with it and is now an Olympus convert, looking at buying another E-M1 II for her, and some lenses as she aint getting mine.

(Cross posting from the 'pics for pleasure' thread.)

sosarcade-jpg.262437

First time playing with the 9mm 'body-cap' lens. The fixed f8 aperture was not a problem, given the brightly coloured charm of Southend sea front, and the distortion ... well, it is what it is. Well worth the £45 used cost, as I'm unlikely to invest in a proper fish-eye lens.

Further to the above, the Ebay seller (a business selling a lot of Olympus kit) is happy to accept the borked 40-150/f4 return for a replacement.

.... I read your earlier post about your problem and was going to ask if you had checked and updated the lens firmware.

Otherwise this is yet another instance of what stops me from buying anything off eBay.

.... I read your earlier post about your problem and was going to ask if you had checked and updated the lens firmware.

Otherwise this is yet another instance of what stops me from buying anything off eBay.

Lens firmware - well, with the lens bringing up that error message, I don't think there's any possibility to update firmware. And it's a quite common Olympus lens issue (on the affordable/compact zooms anyway).

As for Ebay/not, well, I take a long term view. I save a lot of money buying used. Some you win, some you lose. And at least this seller is being a stand-up guy about it.

Lens firmware - well, with the lens bringing up that error message, I don't think there's any possibility to update firmware. And it's a quite common Olympus lens issue (on the affordable/compact zooms anyway).

As for Ebay/not, well, I take a long term view. I save a lot of money buying used. Some you win, some you lose. And at least this seller is being a stand-up guy about it.
Tbh my experience buying lenses from eBay hasn’t been the best, I’ve found forums better.

Tbh my experience buying lenses from eBay hasn’t been the best, I’ve found forums better.

Yes, I am happy to support fellow forumites (although I've only earned Classified access privileges this last week, as I'm a newb). One thing I've noticed though: few of the affordable/compact M43 lenses are available here at any one time. There are a rather more high-end lenses. It's the nature of the TP demographic, perhaps?

Yes, I am happy to support fellow forumites (although I've only earned Classified access privileges this last week, as I'm a newb). One thing I've noticed though: few of the affordable/compact M43 lenses are available here at any one time. There are a rather more high-end lenses. It's the nature of the TP demographic, perhaps?
Goes in spells I think. The Olympus UK forum (e-group or something) is a good place to look too.

.... Lens firmware is always read and installed via the camera body and with Olympus updates are usually via their free Olympus Workspace desktop app - Easy-peasy!

What you are calling "affordable" are simply less sophisticated products and, as you suggest, probably don't have firmware options for a user anyway.

As far as I am concerned, taking the long term view and hence decision not to buy from ebay, I prefer not to take the risk (you got lucky with this seller) and end up buying cheap but buying twice. I save hundreds of pounds by buying from HDEW when they can get what I want, otherwise I buy mostly from Wex Photo.

I bought a mint condition Olympus ED 12-40mm F/2.8 PRO from Classifieds here last week [Thankyou Terry @GreenNinja67 !] which was on my shopping list for next Spring. You'll find non Canon/Nikon gear in the 'Other' section of Classifieds.

.... Lens firmware is always read and installed via the camera body and with Olympus updates are usually via their free Olympus Workspace desktop app - Easy-peasy!

But if the camera's not recognising the lens would it still update/transfer the update across? I've never had this issue so don't know.

But if the camera's not recognising the lens would it still update/transfer the update across? I've never had this issue so don't know.

.... Logically not if the lens is totally unrecognised, probably in the case of a third-party brand. But all firmware updates have to be installed by the user and none are done automatically.

I haven't experienced it with Olympus but when one of the new Canon RF lenses I bought was mounted on my EOS-R body for the first time a message came up on the body rear screen saying that the lens firmware needed updating for the lens to work.

I think that currently Olympus leave the onus on the user to check how up to date any installed firmware is whether for body or lens but I have forgotten!

Last edited:
.... Logically not if the lens is totally unrecognised, probably a third-party brand. But all firmware updates have to be installed by the user and none are done automatically.

I haven't experienced it with Olympus but when one of the new Canon RF lenses I bought was mounted on my EOS-R body for the first time a message came up on the body rear screen saying that the lens firmware needed updating for the lens to work.

I think that currently Olympus leave the user to check how up to date any installed firmware is whether for body or lens but I have forgotten!
TBH I thought the Olympus lens he bought wasn't being recognised but I've just skimmed back through the thread and see that the lens is actually still recognised just not working right. Could be a firmware glitch I guess but I think the OP's done the right thing returning it (y)

Due to camera and lens technology becoming more and more electronically sophisticated we can all expect much more frequent firmware updates and I suggest it is a wise and good practice to regularly check and keep gear updated.

I don't know about the Olympus community here but certainly members of the Canon community tend to post to share the news of any updates.

Lovely Jeff - Great backgrounds - especially the 1st and 3rd and tack sharp.

We used to get Goldies in our garden but haven't seen one for a couple of years. For us it's - Tree and House Sparrows, Dunnocks, Great and Blue Tits, Starlings and lots of wood pigeons and collared doves - the lot bloody eat us out of house and home. We are now getting bird feed by the sack load !

When I get the time I'll be listing some Olympus lenses @goldtop

Very good! Yes it's a 1964. It sits in the lounge, gets played daily (not by me) and as you can see is a bit dusty.

I did wonder with your forum name whether you might be a gibson fan :)

All of my guitars are dusty at the top end of the neck! :whistle:

Lovely Jeff - Great backgrounds - especially the 1st and 3rd and tack sharp.

We used to get Goldies in our garden but haven't seen one for a couple of years. For us it's - Tree and House Sparrows, Dunnocks, Great and Blue Tits, Starlings and lots of wood pigeons and collared doves - the lot bloody eat us out of house and home. We are now getting bird feed by the sack load !
these were taken this morning Andrew in a local nature reserve (free ) about 200 yards inland from the Irish Sea and it was blowing a gale and freezing cold . missed a few good shots due to that ,LTT, AND GSW . the feeders are topped up daily and a constant stream of birds come in ... got a few from the beach later as well

as mentioned above a couple of gulls in flight shots from this morning taken in very very high winds hand held .. .. I have to admit I wasn't that happy with last weeks owl shots taken at roughly the same distance , so it might just be that these sensors don't like shooting into the light . but I have been doing a bit of playing with ETTR as well (not these shots) it works well in reducing ambient noise levels but not with the PL100-400 as your already starting at f6.3 made worse by poor light in the winter so causing to high a i.s.o limit . anyway back to the gulls .
wind shadow by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

storm patrol by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back