Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Had a good time on the Olympus roadshow /workshop today at Slimbrdge. Andy Rouse showed his images taken on Olympus kit since May and talked about settings and the like; we were then able to borrow bodies and lenses. Jez helped with settings and I went off to the Rushy pen. I am keen to see how they look once I have processed them.. Andy and the Oly people were out and about although I didn't see much of them but could have gone and asked if I had needed to and there was always an Oly person in our base room for swapping kit. The Bewick's didn't come in before the light went sadly. I liked the 300mm. A lot.

Had a good time on the Olympus roadshow /workshop today at Slimbrdge. Andy Rouse showed his images taken on Olympus kit since May and talked about settings and the like; we were then able to borrow bodies and lenses. Jez helped with settings and I went off to the Rushy pen. I am keen to see how they look once I have processed them.. Andy and the Oly people were out and about although I didn't see much of them but could have gone and asked if I had needed to and there was always an Oly person in our base room for swapping kit. The Bewick's didn't come in before the light went sadly. I liked the 300mm. A lot.

.... The Olympus 300mm F/4 Pro is one heck of a lens and also takes the 1.4x MC-14 extremely well which then offers you 840mm equivalent easily handheld! I'm not the only one to extol that lens's virtues.

What did you think of the E-M1X body?

Tried the 75 f1.8 in the street today, not something I'm comfortable with but keep having a little dabble with street photography,

PC150051-2 by danger_mouse1964, on Flickr

I am surprised at how slow you can have the shutter and still get sharp shots, I am not the steadiest hand but 1/13 is pretty damn good I reckon.
PC150049-2 by danger_mouse1964, on Flickr

Last edited:
Tried the 75 f1.8 in the street today, not something I'm comfortable with but keep having a little dabble with street photography,

.... I like that first shot posted in the red jacket. The background works blurred particularly well - Did you pan your shot?

Btw, I was unable to tell you that the Thrush-like bird on the tree tops is a Fieldfare which migrate here in Winter - Your Flickr page has Comments disabled.

I am surprised at how slow you can have the shutter and still get sharp shots, I am not the steadiest hand but 1/13 is pretty damn good I reckon.
PC150049-2 by danger_mouse1964, on Flickr
Is it a coincidence that it says mouse on the hat?

.... The Olympus 300mm F/4 Pro is one heck of a lens and also takes the 1.4x MC-14 extremely well which then offers you 840mm equivalent easily handheld! I'm not the only one to extol that lens's virtues.

What did you think of the E-M1X body?

A bit big; I tried the 300mm on my EM1Mk2 and found it manageable for a while before my shoulder objected. I enjoyed the reach but not missing shots that were nearer.

A bit big; I tried the 300mm on my EM1Mk2 and found it manageable for a while before my shoulder objected. I enjoyed the reach but not missing shots that were nearer.
It will actually focus quite close, 1.4m I think. There is a switch on the side which can limit the closest distance you can get in focus.

That’s why I find the 100-400mm more useable.
It will actually focus quite close, 1.4m I think. There is a switch on the side which can limit the closest distance you can get in focus.
It can but depending on your subject it might not fit the frame.

A shot at 72ft distance which illustrates what the Olympus ED 300mm F/4 Pro is capable of. The 1.4x MC-14 was mounted and so it's equivalent to 840mm and handheld. Of course it's for you guys to judge but I am impressed coming from a Canon 1DX-2 + EF 500mm F/4L II (which I loved).

BLACKBIRD AMONGST THE CRAB APPLES by Robin Procter, on Flickr

:canon: but now ... :olympus:

This thread is becoming like one of those advertorials you get in magazines these days

Oh look another (insert superlatives) bird photo with my (insert camera and long lens here)

Last edited:
So pretty much like every other gear thread then ? :p:p

A shot at 72ft distance which illustrates what the Olympus ED 300mm F/4 Pro is capable of. The 1.4x MC-14 was mounted and so it's equivalent to 840mm and handheld. Of course it's for you guys to judge but I am impressed coming from a Canon 1DX-2 + EF 500mm F/4L II (which I loved).

BLACKBIRD AMONGST THE CRAB APPLES by Robin Procter, on Flickr

:canon: but now ... :olympus:
Very nice. Was that 'fortunate' background behind the bird or is it PP to highlight it?

So pretty much like every other gear thread then ? :p:p

Think some others are a bit more varied, small birds on sticks are getting a bit repetitive
Wouldn't they be better suited to the specific bird thread?

Suppose it depends on what you purchased the camera and lens for. It seems in Robin's case, he purchased his EM1X and 300mm F4 pro specifically for bird photography, so it's sort of understandable that's what he'd post.

Rich, why don't you post some "other" type images to balance the thread up a bit, as I've seen your own work and it's very good too ?

Suppose it depends on what you purchased the camera and lens for. It seems in Robin's case, he purchased his EM1X and 300mm F4 pro specifically for bird photography, so it's sort of understandable that's what he'd post.

Rich, why don't you post some "other" type images to balance the thread up a bit, as I've seen your own work and it's very good too ?

Fair point and well put Andrew, was hoping for some new photos, but the French unions have curtailed my rail travel plans.
Another point is I only now have an Olympus 12-40, probably time I fully migrated to the Panasonic thread and stopped whinging here

Just buy my lenses :)

Thanks, but I prefer the Panasonic offerings plus the lens and body stabilisation work together.
Can't beat the Olympus 12-40 though and their 75mm is very nice too if you want that focal length

This thread is becoming like one of those advertorials you get in magazines these days

Oh look another (insert superlatives) bird photo with my (insert camera and long lens here)

.... I do apologise but I have only been sharing examples of images which can be achieved for the benefit of those viewers here who are either interested in the Olympus camera system because they are considering buying or simply what other photographers are shooting with it. That's why I mentioned it was taken at 72ft distance for example.

But yes of course I want to show my efforts to my peer group - Surely there is nothing wrong with that?

Think some others are a bit more varied, small birds on sticks are getting a bit repetitive
Wouldn't they be better suited to the specific bird thread?

.... Next year I can promise you photos of wild Bears, Pelicans, and Dragonflies as well as larger birds.

It will look like that if others aren't posting their non bird/wildlife images.

.... Exactly.

But if people here are bored of my posts with photos I can easily stop.

Very nice. Was that 'fortunate' background behind the bird or is it PP to highlight it?

.... Thanks for the compliment Toby - Appreciated.

That white 'halo' was fortunate, very fortunate and not PP, and is a white building in the further distance.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thanks, but I prefer the Panasonic offerings plus the lens and body stabilisation work together.

Can't beat the Olympus 12-40 though and their 75mm is very nice too if you want that focal length

.... And particularly YOUR Olympus ED 12-40mm F/2.8 Pro which I am now the very happy owner of - Cheers Terry! :)

Last edited:
.... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Already done (but on a Canon before I had Olympus) :

IF YO

U GO DOWN TO THE WOODS TODAY YOU'RE SURE OF A BIG SURPRISE! by Robin Procter, on Flickr

This was this summer but I am going back there next autumn but this time with my Olympus. I hope I will have an ED 150-400mm+1.25x Pro in time for that trip and can report what I think of it along with anyone else here who gets one.

Love the bear in the conifers. So good I would get the cloning tool out, especially on the stick just in front of the bear.

Love the bear in the conifers. So good I would get the cloning tool out, especially on the stick just in front of the bear.

.... Thanks Jerry!

I am not very skilled at Photoshop cloning but that stick branch looks like I could get away with it. I only shoot RAW and I post-process (Capture One) but generally prefer not to alter the content of an image < It depends of course. Put it this way, I would never have added the 'white halo' behind the female Blackbird's head in Reply #17,695 but I have now removed the twig in the top lefthand corner of that image.

I am starting a series of images, possibly for glicee printing (I don't know yet), which pay homage to the Japanese artist Koson (1877-1945) and whose woodblock prints I have a collection of - All birds and animals. Hence my name in a Japanese style seal but with a modern font and interpretation - A different time in history and so a different treatment.

I'll have a go but I won't post the result back here because it's a Canon image. Thanks for the suggestion - Much appreciated :)

Going off on a tangent here, robin, but I noted the other day your interest in Japanese woodblock prints. They were one of the influences behind my bird photography for several years and an exhibition was the result. You could have a look at the relevant gallery on my website if you were interested.

https://www.wild-wales.com/v/photos/20794rws

Going off on a tangent here, robin, but I noted the other day your interest in Japanese woodblock prints. They were one of the influences behind my bird photography for several years and an exhibition was the result. You could have a look at the relevant gallery on my website if you were interested.

Some excellent images there Jerry.

.... Very very nice indeed! Thanks for sharing. I especially love the Stilt trilogy triptych - Very pure and hence 'Japanese'. Wow! Also the Avocet trilogy triptych. You are inspiring me. I think you have captured that delightful oriental 'purity' better than I have so far.

Last edited:
.... Very very nice indeed! Thanks for sharing. I especially love the Stilt trilogy - Very pure and hence 'Japanese'. Wow! Also the Avocet trilogy. You are inspiring me. I think you have captured that delightful oriental 'purity' better than I have so far.

That's very kind of you to say so.

.... Very very nice indeed! Thanks for sharing. I especially love the Stilt trilogy - Very pure and hence 'Japanese'. Wow! Also the Avocet trilogy. You are inspiring me. I think you have captured that delightful oriental 'purity' better than I have so far.
:plus1: :agree:

Back