Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

So I'm fighting GAS at the moment for the 12-100 pro. I'm heading off to Italy. The rest of the family will ski, but for the first time I am unable to, so I'm planning on doing some photography. This might involve photographing them in the snow park jumping plus landscapes. I've been going through last year's pictures in the snow park and most were taken between 40 and 100mm and at around f/7 and I was happy with the results.

I have the 12-40 and the 40-150 pro lenses and took those last year, but I'm wondering if the 12-100 could do it all? Would it focus fast enough for action in the snow park do you think on an EM1ii? It would be great to go out with just one lens and know I could have it all covered. I'll also be hopefully doing a bit of walking if I can find some safe and easyish paths.

Really I'd like someone to tell me it won't focus fast enough so I can put the idea to bed and save my money :LOL:

even more impressed its just been returned and in pristine as new condition. 100% top service I am very very impressed with olympus even more so after falling foul of other brands lapsidasical approach in the past .

as for the non blackout shooting all I can see when going through the menus is . go to near the end of the cogwheel section and
turn EVF auto switch to OFF
screen style 3
and S -OVF to off

whether other settings further back in the menu affect it I don't know but it works for me so worth a try ,I can track a bird in flight and it reacts just like a DSLR
But DSLRs aren't blackout free o_O

So I'm fighting GAS at the moment for the 12-100 pro. I'm heading off to Italy. The rest of the family will ski, but for the first time I am unable to, so I'm planning on doing some photography. This might involve photographing them in the snow park jumping plus landscapes. I've been going through last year's pictures in the snow park and most were taken between 40 and 100mm and at around f/7 and I was happy with the results.

I have the 12-40 and the 40-150 pro lenses and took those last year, but I'm wondering if the 12-100 could do it all? Would it focus fast enough for action in the snow park do you think on an EM1ii? It would be great to go out with just one lens and know I could have it all covered. I'll also be hopefully doing a bit of walking if I can find some safe and easyish paths.

Really I'd like someone to tell me it won't focus fast enough so I can put the idea to bed and save my money :LOL:

You probably don't want to hear this, but the 12-100 is a cracking lens. Optially it's almost as good as the 12-40 F2.8, AF appears just as quick (i.e instant), and the IS built in combined with the IBIS gives incredible scope for slow speed hand held shots. About the only criticism I've ever heard leveled towards it is that it's a bit large and heavy than other lenses in the M4/3 range, but after owning the Nikon 24-120 F4 for a number of years, I think it's positively lightweight, and feels very well balanced on either my Em1 MK II or EM1X. Add to that the fantastic range of 24-200 (effective) and it really is a one for all lens for holidays and vacation. Sorry.

You probably don't want to hear this, but the 12-100 is a cracking lens. Optially it's almost as good as the 12-40 F2.8, AF appears just as quick (i.e instant), and the IS built in combined with the IBIS gives incredible scope for slow speed hand held shots. About the only criticism I've ever heard leveled towards it is that it's a bit large and heavy than other lenses in the M4/3 range, but after owning the Nikon 24-120 F4 for a number of years, I think it's positively lightweight, and feels very well balanced on either my Em1 MK II or EM1X. Add to that the fantastic range of 24-200 (effective) and it really is a one for all lens for holidays and vacation. Sorry.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. That’s really helpful.

I prefer light and compact, but this would be lighter than taking the two lenses and it’s not an ideal environment to be switching lenses.

I’ve looked at some reviews and it seemed to be fast enough to get some football shots.

I’ve also heard the extra stabilisation is great for video which I would also do a bit of in the snow park... although I was very happy with the other lenses in that respect.

I think I might crack and have to get one [emoji51]

New convert to the Olympus fold having moved from Canon This was one of the lens I have bought as I wanted to have a go to holiday/day out lens all I can say in the 3 weeks I have owned the OMD M2 and this lens is that I am very impressed with its range that it offers and the quality of the images I have taken so far. I visited a NT property of the other day couldn't believe the interior images I was able to obtain hand held.

I found the balance of the lens on the OMD really good. Whilst this does cross over into the 40-150PRO i have I just find its a lens I can use when travelling.

Sorry about your GAS I was the same about this lens

I have the 12-100 also, my experince is only bad news for you sorry. The same as the others have said; it does focus really fast, it is well balanced on the camera even though it is not a small lens & its IS is really good so a generally excellent lens! (im sure I see somewhere its focuing is one of the quickest in the Oly lineup)
My only complaint is its not as sharp as a prime, but it is a zoom so it cant be helped. This means I have not been using as much as I used too.

My daughter has one and its excellent, stabilisation is the best I have ever come across.
Too big and weighty for me though as a walkabout travel lens, arthritis in my elbow and hand doesn't help.

I've cracked.... Thank you @mazdaman @jono2002 @tijuana taxi I have just pulled the trigger :runaway: Hopefully delivery tomorrow.

Sorry to hear about the arthritis @tijuana taxi. M43 does help keep the weight down. I often have the 300mm on my EM1ii, so I don't think it will be an issue for me, although I like to travel as light as I can. I have problems with my hip, but as long as I evenly distribute the weight it's not too bad, and this will mean I'm not carrying two lenses.

I am accumulating so many lenses I feel guilty, but as I seem to do a lot of travelling these days, I think this will see a lot of use.

I saw an excellent video/review of a guy using it in Cuba along with a 25mm 1.2. I have a 17mm 1.2 (and 1.8) so I'm thinking this might be a perfect travel combination, although the 17mm would stay in the hotel during the day.

The 40-150 will not be redundant as I use that frequently to photograph football. It's whether or not the 12-40 becomes redundant.

Just in case anyone else is on tipping point with the 12-100mm, it is currently on offer on Amazon from Olympus at £799 - at least £80 cheaper than anywhere else and almost £200 cheaper than some outlets. HDew are cheaper if you want to go grey, by about £50 if I remember rightly.

Just in case anyone else is on tipping point with the 12-100mm, it is currently on offer on Amazon from Olympus at £799 - at least £80 cheaper than anywhere else and almost £200 cheaper than some outlets. HDew are cheaper if you want to go grey, by about £50 if I remember rightly.

That's an excellent price, have fun with your new lens, sure you will
May I ask please what you think of the 17mm f/1.2?
Looked at it a few times, had the f/1.8 version, but not overly impressed with that one.
Thank you

That's an excellent price, have fun with your new lens, sure you will
May I ask please what you think of the 17mm f/1.2?
Looked at it a few times, had the f/1.8 version, but not overly impressed with that one.
Thank you
So far I love it, but I haven't used it loads. I like to photograph bands often in confined spaces and to record videos, so this was my main reason for purchase.

I was actually quite happy with my 1.8 until I tried the 1.2. I haven't done a side by side comparison

I've used it just this morning - a quick snap at f/4.5 for my 52 project - processed with Nik Efex. Surprisingly shallow depth of field I thought for 4.5 - which is what I wanted. You can get quite close to things which does give a nice blurry background.

20200117-BC176928-Edit-Edit.jpg

little bit of time out with the EM1X and the 300mm F4 pro. Light levels were shocking so all ISO's well into 4 figures.

So far I love it, but I haven't used it loads. I like to photograph bands often in confined spaces and to record videos, so this was my main reason for purchase.

I was actually quite happy with my 1.8 until I tried the 1.2. I haven't done a side by side comparison

I've used it just this morning - a quick snap at f/4.5 for my 52 project - processed with Nik Efex. Surprisingly shallow depth of field I thought for 4.5 - which is what I wanted. You can get quite close to things which does give a nice blurry background.

View attachment 266050

Thank you for your comments, quite like the focal length and think this will go on my wanted list

I did a test last week a9mkII a7r4 and EM1x all at 3200 run them through Topaz Denoise and it was very hard to tell any difference, i really like it.
Rob.

I did a test last week a9mkII a7r4 and EM1x all at 3200 run them through Topaz Denoise and it was very hard to tell any difference, i really like it.
Rob.
Does topaz work as a plugin for Lightroom or is it a photoshop plugin or stand alone software? I have the Nik Collection which I think has NR software but it's PS only, and I've never looked into how to use it.

Does topaz work as a plugin for Lightroom or is it a photoshop plugin or stand alone software? I have the Nik Collection which I think has NR software but it's PS only, and I've never looked into how to use it.
It's a plugin for Lightroom and I think Photoshop, or stands alone. I think the Nik collection is a plugin for Lightroom too, but maybe only the latest version?

Last edited:
It's a plugin for Lightroom and I think Photoshop, or stands alone. I think the Nik collection is a plugin for Lightroom too, but maybe only the latest version?
I'll look into the Nik Collection but I got the free one and when it installed it only linked to PS.

I'm not sure as I bought the stand alone one -its very simple to use drag and drop.
Rob.

Got a funny little quirk showin* up I was gonna phone olympus today to see if they could help but got dragged out shopping instead..
as you may know I bought a mk1 last week to Tide me over till the return of the mkii which came back yesterday ...now I have used once only in anger the mk1 with the PL 100-400 and the shots were nice and sharp .. in fact slightly better than I get on the mkii .. tried them both this morning same settings just changing the lens from body to body in poor light . But the results were replicated the files from the mk1 appear to be better defined and with more bite . Could this be due to to a slightly smaller amount of pixels per image .
Really weird it’s puzzling me there even seems to be less noise in the mk1 files .. .. could It be something to do with the SD cards ? . Putting it in perspective there both great cameras nothing wrong with I.q from either and I really have to nit pic to notice it .the mkii was bought for action so I ain’t gonna switch but it would be nice to put it to bed

I use a photoshop plug in called imageonic N/R . i always layer my subject and just apply de.noise to the background layer ,then smart sharpen only the subject layer

Got a funny little quirk showin* up I was gonna phone olympus today to see if they could help but got dragged out shopping instead..
as you may know I bought a mk1 last week to Tide me over till the return of the mkii which came back yesterday ...now I have used once only in anger the mk1 with the PL 100-400 and the shots were nice and sharp .. in fact slightly better than I get on the mkii .. tried them both this morning same settings just changing the lens from body to body in poor light . But the results were replicated the files from the mk1 appear to be better defined and with more bite . Could this be due to to a slightly smaller amount of pixels per image .
Really weird it’s puzzling me there even seems to be less noise in the mk1 files .. .. could It be something to do with the SD cards ? . Putting it in perspective there both great cameras nothing wrong with I.q from either and I really have to nit pic to notice it .the mkii was bought for action so I ain’t gonna switch but it would be nice to put it to bed
My Mark II definitely has less noise than my mark I, not really compared sharpness but I would be surprised if there’s much difference in sharpness. Are you using anti-shock mode with both?

My Mark II definitely has less noise than my mark I, not really compared sharpness but I would be surprised if there’s much difference in sharpness. Are you using anti-shock mode with both?
Yep both set up exactly the same ,will try over the weekend in better light

That's strange @the black fox. Definitely sounds worth querying if your settings are the same on each.

@snerkler I've just run this image through Topaz Denoise so I did a quick screenshot of 100% crop so you can see the difference before and after. I usually preview it on Auto to see what the AI works out, and then tweak if needs be. Then apply it if I like it. I don't know if you can see the difference here, but it is noticeable on my screen.

Occasionally I have used it and then layered it so that it is only on the background.

Screenshot 2020-01-17 at 18.53.36.jpg

Show very well, more so on the left and is what I get with Topaz .
Rob.

OOPS ... just seen a post from @ red robin on Facebook ,currently on a Photo holiday in Greece ,silly old buggers fallen down a slope ,8 stitches in his head and right arm in a sling .. ... don’t think he was carrying the camera luckily

update just told me it’s not broken PHEW

Last edited:
My daughter has one and its excellent, stabilisation is the best I have ever come across.
Too big and weighty for me though as a walkabout travel lens, arthritis in my elbow and hand doesn't help.
I changes to Olympus from Nikon dslr due to arthritis in my neck and shoulde.

I use Neat image for noise reductio. It takes the noise out but not the detail.

OOPS ... just seen a post from @ red robin on Facebook ,currently on a Photo holiday in Greece ,silly old buggers fallen down a slope ,8 stitches in his head and right arm in a sling .. ... don’t think he was carrying the camera luckily

update just told me it’s not broken PHEW

poor old fart...:D Seriously, I hope Robin‘s OK

Great shots. What do you use for noise reduction? I've been impressed with Topaz Denoise.

I do use topaz DeNoise regularly, but in this case it was DXO Photolab 2

Just bought another EC.14 its local so picking it up in the morning . ..

Have you tried contrast-detect in AFS, could be SS, or like me before parting i was getting better results with the G80 and its lower pixel count down to camera shake at 400mm.

Needs more shots taken mike , I can’t really put a finger on it ... I cant fault the results from either body and don’t really want to be chopping and changing lenses .. but will be keeping a open mind and a even more open eye

My 12-100 arrived today :banana: I'm very excited about the prospect of heading out with only one lens. Fits in a teeny bag too!

Beautiful skies this evening and I left it too late really - the tide was high so I thought it would be no good at the beach, but I dashed out at the last minute to give the lens a first try.

Zero points for composition but I thought I'd try handholding to capture the tiny patch of shimmery pink sand at 1/6s before the light completely died. First is SOOC, 2nd is tweaked.

20200118-BC186983.jpg20200118-BC187005.jpg

My 12-100 arrived today :banana: I'm very excited about the prospect of heading out with only one lens. Fits in a teeny bag too!

Beautiful skies this evening and I left it too late really - the tide was high so I thought it would be no good at the beach, but I dashed out at the last minute to give the lens a first try.

Zero points for composition but I thought I'd try handholding to capture the tiny patch of shimmery pink sand at 1/6s before the light completely died. First is SOOC, 2nd is tweaked.

View attachment 266176View attachment 266178

Very nice for a grab shot, the 12-100 really is good, probably the best do it all lens ever.
Stabilisation is excellent too especially when paired with one of the Olympus bodies that give dual is

Very nice for a grab shot, the 12-100 really is good, probably the best do it all lens ever.
Stabilisation is excellent too especially when paired with one of the Olympus bodies that give dual is
I have an Em1ii and a PenF so I think both will give dual IS, although I can't really see me using it on the PenF. I might take the PenF away with me with the 17mm 1.8 on for evening/interior photos.

The close focusing distance is quite remarkable too.

looks like a keeper

Back