Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

super light robin

Fortunately my fall on rocks which then needed 8 stitches and a CT scan, happened at the end of my trip.

This shot of courting wild Greater Flamingos was at 254m/833ft on Olympus 300mm Pro + MC-20 (equivalent 1,200mm) on M1X handheld. More info on Flickr.

GREATER FLAMINGOS COURTING by Robin Procter, on Flickr
I know you like your pics as they were in camera, but were you not tempted to crop the bird out on the left? It's a great photo otherwise (y)

@RedRobin

Sounds like it was nasty tumble....but hopefully all well/on the mend now.

Looking forward to more images from the expedition (note I do not say 'trip' ;) )

I know you like your pics as they were in camera, but were you not tempted to crop the bird out on the left? It's a great photo otherwise (y)
exactly what I told the stubborn old git :exit::exit::wave::wave:

Fortunately my fall on rocks which then needed 8 stitches and a CT scan, happened at the end of my trip.

This shot of courting wild Greater Flamingos was at 254m/833ft on Olympus 300mm Pro + MC-20 (equivalent 1,200mm) on M1X handheld. More info on Flickr.

That's very impressive - isn't it great to have some decent light to shoot in!

BTW - you need to update your Flickr comments - it still says you're a Canon EOS shooter., but we know you're a reformed character.

Lovely light you've got there Robin and nice interaction. I saw some flamingos in Portugal in November, but sadly nice light was lacking.

Sorry to hear about your fall. Glad you came home in one piece.

.... I had considered cropping the bird out on the left but because it was playing a part in the scene's behaviour by vocalising (open beak) I kept it in for the post-processing - The image has already been cropped and no I don't have a preference for never cropping if that is what you mean.

It's now very easy for me to crop the final image so that the lefthand bird is excluded and it would be simply another variant in Capture One. I don't think it spoils the picture and it's simply a personal preference - You prefer it without and I am happy with it either way - There is no right or wrong as far as I am concerned.

Last edited:
Is that the same lake as the pelicans? Didn't know they were in Greece.

.... Yes, the same Lake Kerkini in northern Greece. I think they are on their way somewhere and they were having a stopover. There weren't many. I will need to research this.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the fall @RedRobin(drunk again?), luckily it was at the end of the trip.

I imagine there's already a discussion buried somewhere in this thread about this, but what are people's feelings about the E-M5 iii? I've used the the i and ii for years and love them but they've never been a 100% solution for me because they were hopeless at following movement. The new camera seems to fix that and allows USB charging which for various reasons is a major plus for me, however... two biggies holding me back. One, I'm massively disappointed that it's moved towards a more plastic construction. I'll reserve final judgement until I've held one but I have a feeling I'll miss that solid, precision feel of the ii. And secondly at £1000 for body only, and no grey importers flogging it cheap, it makes it about £250 more expensive than the E-M1 ii can be bought for. The E-M1 ii is looking great value right now but I'd have loved USB charging and they're bigger than I need or want at times. There's no real question here. Just my own musings but I wonder if anyone else has the same thoughts or indeed any owners that might put some of my concerns to bed.

In all honesty I don’t find following movement hard with the mki and b.i.f are no problem at all with the mkii ,plenty of photos on here to prove it to

I imagine there's already a discussion buried somewhere in this thread about this, but what are people's feelings about the E-M5 iii? I've used the the i and ii for years and love them but they've never been a 100% solution for me because they were hopeless at following movement. The new camera seems to fix that and allows USB charging which for various reasons is a major plus for me, however... two biggies holding me back. One, I'm massively disappointed that it's moved towards a more plastic construction. I'll reserve final judgement until I've held one but I have a feeling I'll miss that solid, precision feel of the ii. And secondly at £1000 for body only, and no grey importers flogging it cheap, it makes it about £250 more expensive than the E-M1 ii can be bought for. The E-M1 ii is looking great value right now but I'd have loved USB charging and they're bigger than I need or want at times. There's no real question here. Just my own musings but I wonder if anyone else has the same thoughts or indeed any owners that might put some of my concerns to bed.
The EM5-III will come down in price soon on the grey market I reckon. The plastic construction does sound disappointing but it might not be bad in real life.

In all honesty I don’t find following movement hard with the mki and b.i.f are no problem at all with the mkii ,plenty of photos on here to prove it to
Are you talking the EM1 though? For me the EM1 mark I, EM5 and EM5-II are all pretty poor for c-af imo and prove very frustrating. Following big may be one thing, but nailing focus with a high percent rate is another. The difference between the EM1 and EM1-II in c-af is absolute night and day.

The EM5-III will come down in price soon on the grey market I reckon. The plastic construction does sound disappointing but it might not be bad in real life.
The E-M5III feels OK in the hand not to plasticky I found when I tried it.

Are you talking the EM1 though? For me the EM1 mark I, EM5 and EM5-II are all pretty poor for c-af imo and prove very frustrating. Following big may be one thing, but nailing focus with a high percent rate is another. The difference between the EM1 and EM1-II in c-af is absolute night and day.
That’s not exactly what I meant though ,I’m still early days with the mki but so far not found it to bad at All and certainly not impossible , and yes the mkii is a different ball game entirely . But to say that either is “ hopeless” is simply not fair on the cameras .

That’s not exactly what I meant though ,I’m still early days with the mki but so far not found it to bad at All and certainly not impossible , and yes the mkii is a different ball game entirely . But to say that either is “ hopeless” is simply not fair on the cameras .

The E-M1 has phase detect, I was talking about the E-M5i and E-M5 ii, neither of which have that. It does make a big difference. I just took a quick scan through my LR catalogue and I've only kept three photos from my E-M5 ii where subjects are moving towards the camera. Hopeless is maybe harsh but I simply could not trust the E-M5ii at all for that stuff. I remember taking it to spectate the great North Run. Mo Farrah ran right past us and despite picking him up from a long way out with the 40-150 pro, every shot was out of focus. I didn't keep any. I'd intended to take pics of my dad who was also running. Same story, spotted him a good distance away but it simply wouldn't track him. Dog at the beach, nope. Kids playing, not a chance. I love these little cameras but it's really not their forte at all. My DSLR is a D800 which is noted for not being Nikon's finest hour in terms of AF-C but it's miles ahead of the E-M5ii.

But interestingly I borrowed an E-M1ii via Test and Wow for a rally several months ago and it was flawless. Stuck to stuff fantastically to the point where I stopped even thinking about AF, I knew it would nail it. big cars aren't necessarily the trickiest subject so before I gave it back, I messed around with it getting our black cat to walk towards it and it pretty much nailed that everytime too. That was a total revelation for me with M4/3 as up to that point I'd had that down as the one big drawback.

So I'm very excited to see that AF system squeezed into the E-M5 body but concerned about the plastic. But as @alfbranch says, I really should go and see for myself.

I'm keeping an eye on prices. Many of the grey importers don't list it yet. Amazon have it as £1k. If there was some sort of cashback offer, it may have been tempting but I think I'm inclined to sit tight for now.

@gad-westy I moved on to the Em1ii from the Em5ii because of it's inability with moving subjects. Otherwise it is a great camera. I'm also disappointed they've gone with a more plasticky body although I've not seen one in the flesh yet.

I expect the grey importers will get them in, in time.

Hopeless is probably unfair yes, but they are frustrating especially when you are used to a camera with good c-af. Also the lens plays a large part, put the 100-300mm or 75-300mm on the EM1 or EM5-II and the hunting at the tele end soon raises your bills pressure ;)

The E-M1 has phase detect, I was talking about the E-M5i and E-M5 ii, neither of which have that. It does make a big difference. I just took a quick scan through my LR catalogue and I've only kept three photos from my E-M5 ii where subjects are moving towards the camera. Hopeless is maybe harsh but I simply could not trust the E-M5ii at all for that stuff. I remember taking it to spectate the great North Run. Mo Farrah ran right past us and despite picking him up from a long way out with the 40-150 pro, every shot was out of focus. I didn't keep any. I'd intended to take pics of my dad who was also running. Same story, spotted him a good distance away but it simply wouldn't track him. Dog at the beach, nope. Kids playing, not a chance. I love these little cameras but it's really not their forte at all. My DSLR is a D800 which is noted for not being Nikon's finest hour in terms of AF-C but it's miles ahead of the E-M5ii.

But interestingly I borrowed an E-M1ii via Test and Wow for a rally several months ago and it was flawless. Stuck to stuff fantastically to the point where I stopped even thinking about AF, I knew it would nail it. big cars aren't necessarily the trickiest subject so before I gave it back, I messed around with it getting our black cat to walk towards it and it pretty much nailed that everytime too. That was a total revelation for me with M4/3 as up to that point I'd had that down as the one big drawback.

So I'm very excited to see that AF system squeezed into the E-M5 body but concerned about the plastic. But as @alfbranch says, I really should go and see for myself.

I went to the EM1mkII from the EM5MKII. I still have a lot of affection for the EM5 it was perfect for me, AF apart. The EM1mkII AF is absolutely differently, but I also don't find it as big as I thought I would compared to the EM5, and obviously lenses are the same. I still find it a light package to take with me.

FWIW

A thread about an apparently one off failure of the tripod mount on the EM5mk3
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4459145

PS for the faint hearted it does not make good reading....................especially if it should turn out to be a component failure ~ as in how many of the poor parts are 'out there'? :(

exactly what I told the stubborn old git :exit::exit::wave::wave:

.... I always was going to create a further cropped variant (in Capture One) but it makes more sense to firstly post-process the maximum area of an image that I foresee possibly using.

So, here is the cropped picture and I do agree with you both that it is visually stronger as a result :

superb now robin :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: give yourself the clap :LOL:

Phew just got back home ,skies cleared here midday quick trip to the estuary marshes for the owls a 700 + shot day again .later dudes

.... I always was going to create a further cropped variant (in Capture One) but it makes more sense to firstly post-process the maximum area of an image that I foresee possibly using.

So, here is the cropped picture and I do agree with you both that it is visually stronger as a result :

Thats a stunning photo.

This opened my eyes a lot this morning. Like many on here I can get 'obsessed' by having to have the 'best' or sharpest lens, and then I see shots like these taken with the £100 pancake 'kit' lens supplied with the entry level Ollies and see that they're better than anything I've shot. OK so street's not my forte and not something I've done a lot, but still. It makes me wonder why I bother paying the price carrying heavier gear around.

https://robinwong.blogspot.com/2015/09/5-reasons-why-your-kit-lens-is-awesome.html

This opened my eyes a lot this morning. Like many on here I can get 'obsessed' by having to have the 'best' or sharpest lens, and then I see shots like these taken with the £100 pancake 'kit' lens supplied with the entry level Ollies and see that they're better than anything I've shot. OK so street's not my forte and not something I've done a lot, but still. It makes me wonder why I bother paying the price carrying heavier gear around.

https://robinwong.blogspot.com/2015/09/5-reasons-why-your-kit-lens-is-awesome.html

I'm thinking stabilisation plays a very big part, no coincidence that Olympus ibis has always been rated the best.

Went to visit my week old nephew for the first time at the weekend, took the EM1mkii and 12-40mm for some family shots, but snuck in the 100-400 as I know they often have Red Kites around, and we did indeed see some on a short walk. Really need to learn better technique for BIF and to process my images this year, these are effectively SOOC with the odd crop, but confident the kit can deliver, I just need to improve on my part. Anyway, this is what I got.

P1190176 by alligator1975, on Flickr

P1190207 by alligator1975, on Flickr

P1190202 by alligator1975, on Flickr

Was nice to see some sun at last!

They are all under-exposed, you know.........:)

Reactions: akr

That is absolutely brill!

Back