Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

hi guys I am looking for some help and setup tips for my daughters om5ii , full story is she changed from canon 7d 70-200mm f4, 24-105 mm, 300 mmf4 and teleconverters due to weight issues. she shoots wildlife as I do and she is fast loosing interest do to om menus and setup, I am not much help as I shoot sony a99ii and primes 300 2.8 etc and fe a7iii 200-600 mm etc, so she went all in and got the om5ii lightly used , 12-40 mm 2.8 and 40-150 mm 2.8 and 1.4 converter. she used canon in jpeg and shot aperture and manual mainly with reasonable results, I know the micro four thirds are capable cameras and om5ii is not state of art but should be a good start, problem is its so different from her cannon and oly in manual seems you cannot change settings as cannon or sony , so any help or tips welcome as she is getting frustrated with the om5 and its going to be a very expensive paper weight, a guy a shoot with has done some setup he has the same 40-150mm and om10 but its no where as good as the results from the 7d thanks gary

Last edited:
hi guys I am looking for some help and setup tips for my daughters om5ii , full story is she changed from canon 7d 70-200mm f4, 24-105 mm, 300 mmf4 and teleconverters due to weight issues. she shoots wildlife as I do and she is fast loosing interest do to om menus and setup, I am not much help as I shoot sony a99ii and primes 300 2.8 etc and fe a7iii 200-600 mm etc, so she went all in and got the om5ii lightly used , 12-40 mm 2.8 and 40-150 mm 2.8 and 1.4 converter. she used canon in jpeg and shot aperture and manual mainly with reasonable results, I know the micro four thirds are capable cameras and om5ii is not state of art but should be a good start, problem is its so different from her cannon and oly in manual seems you cannot change settings as cannon or sony , so any help or tips welcome as she is getting frustrated with the om5 and its going to be a very expensive paper weight, a guy a shoot with has done some setup he has the same 40-150mm and om10 but its no where as good as the results from the 7d thanks gary
I am afraid a change of camera is probabl necessary. An E-M5iii or E-M1ii would make a big difference as the AF works very well on those.

It’s a fairly harsh learning curve and I don’t think the 5 mkii is that renowned for wildlife .. but the 40-150 and t.c should definetly better the results of a 7D .. oly menus can be quiet confusing so for the moment just leave alone ... if she presses the o.k button it will bring up the main control panel everything is there . If she likes manual mode set the dial to manual ,then set speed and aperture via the dials and set it to auto iso . I do b.i.f using single point a.f in c.a.f multi points tend to jump around to much .
If she wants to use a/v mode then exposure comp will also work . You really have to give these cameras time but eventually it all falls into place .im sure there’s plenty of online help for the main menu settings to

Swapping systems takes some getting used to, and can produce frustrations along the way. Check out YouTube videos on how to set Olympus cameras up, they’re great once setup.

The EM5-ii isn’t great at shooting moving subjects though as c-af isn’t great. I’d suggest the EM1-ii or newer.

thanks for quick replies and you are saying what I had thought from reading loads of forums and that is camera choice is not the best for wildlife, the reason the om 5 came about was due to price point and the fact it came with the 12-40 2.8 and questionable advise from local camera shop who I trust ,the point of single focus is worth a try as we have only used cf ,in manual I have not been able to change ev is that the case thanks gary

Last edited:
thanks for quick replies and you are saying what I had thought from reading loads of forums and that is camera choice is not the best for wildlife, the reason the om 5 came about was due to price point and the fact it came with the 12-40 2.8 and questionable advise from local camera shop who I trust ,the point of single focus is worth a try as we have only used cf ,in manual I have not been able to change ev is that the case thanks gary
I think that is one of the niggles of Olympus in that you can’t use exp comp in manual mode with auto iso.

The challenge is keeping the front element or filter clean.
Yep I was out today photographing kitesurfing. I now take a small spray bottle of water and a micro fibre cloth with me. I probably cleaned it 5 or so times today. When I get home I wet the whole thing down with a clean cloth and dry it.
I got some funny looks as I came off the beach today. I hadn't noticed until then that I was covered in foam - it actually looked like I'd been IN the water :LOL:

There used to be a guy on the press boat during Cowes week and he said he took his Olympus in the shower with him after a day on the boat. I told Olympus about this and they said they wouldn't recommend it, but his kept on working.

I think that is one of the niggles of Olympus in that you can’t use exp comp in manual mode with auto iso.
You can on the EM1ii, but I can't remember if it's possible on the EM5ii. I think I ended up setting my lever so that it brought up the ISO and used to vary that as needed in manual mode

.... Thanks for that Bebop! Useful setting for other language reviews too.

The translation is hilarious!! : "Ah, that's right - I think there are many people who use live composite live girls " < My imagination is running riot! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Yep I had a few giggles too ... something about molars? I wondered if it was teething troubles:ROFLMAO:

You can on the EM1ii, but I can't remember if it's possible on the EM5ii. I think I ended up setting my lever so that it brought up the ISO and used to vary that as needed in manual mode
Are you sure you can on the EM1-II? If I was in manual mode with Auto ISO I couldn't find a way to change exp comp. I've just done a quick google and it doesn't look possible o_O

.... If you bought it from a shop you are within your rights to return the body within 30(?) days as unsuitable for your purposes and part exchange it for a E-M1 Mark II body. Keep the lens and TC if part exchanging.

Menu E1 set it to ISO auto All

Edit: sorry I should have edited the previous post instead of adding another post

How you make it function is a personal preference. I’ve ended up using the lever and then I set both front and back dials to exposure comp. I know it’s overkill, but I’m easily confused

The challenge is keeping the front element or filter clean.
The camera had a new shutter at about 125k actuations and new rubber fitted. The worst dowsing it had was at niagra falls on a boat. It just needed a bit of a sit in the sun to dry it off but it worked throughout.

.... It sounds as if my weatherproof 'testing' pales into significance compared with what yours has been subjected to. We can all rest assured that Olympuis aren't telling us porky pies regarding their weatherproofing statements. Mine was tested with 750 pics on a surfer's beach today with rain showers - I just got home.

Yeah, Olympus seem to know what they're doing with weather proofing. It's just something that you can forget worrying about once you get your head around it. My E-M5iii spent a lot of this week covered in snow and even ended up fully submerged in a near freezing river for a few seconds (by accident!) and it just kept working as if nothing had happened.

My EM1-II was never subject to much other than the occasional shower but my EM1 and EM5-II survived almost monsoon type conditions.

.... It sounds as if my weatherproof 'testing' pales into significance compared with what yours has been subjected to. We can all rest assured that Olympuis aren't telling us porky pies regarding their weatherproofing statements. Mine was tested with 750 pics on a surfer's beach today with rain showers - I just got home.

The was some water on my lens at Niagra it was like the worst rain I have been out in.

Close-to-the-horseshoe by Alf Branch, on Flickr

It wasn't so wet from above for me or the camera

Niagara horeshoe falls by Alf Branch, on Flickr

This isnt that unusual for my camera either in fact I shoot on the beach so much I have a tripod for the beach that is expected to have a limited life which I had to replace last year

splash by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Last edited:
"You should expose less to the right."

Or, you should just go and take photographs. Images that are actually images, the ones that grab the attention, where half a stop makes no difference.

"You should expose less to the right."

Or, you should just go and take photographs. Images that are actually images, the ones that grab the attention, where half a stop makes no difference.

What I used the find I needed to do on all the Canon bodies i owned was to have +1/3 stop of EC permanently set to ettr appropriately!

Just been browsing the EM1 MK III official specs, and something I think is often overlooked by others is the buffer depth. I wasn't aware of this until I read it. At 15 fps (with AF/AE tracking sequence), the Raw buffer is 101 frames, but wind if back until a still very respectable 10 fps (still with full AF / AE) and the Raw buffer is an incredible 286 images - that's more than a D500 or D5 (incidentally exactly the same as my EM1-X) !

I know the Olympus OM-D cameras only shoot 12-bit Raw and the Nikon's can shoot up to 14 bit, but even so that's still pretty impressive. Even the new Fuji X-T4 (according to the official Fuji Specs), can only shoot a maximum of 44 raw files at 10FPS and and 38 at 15fps !

Last edited:
Seeing as the Pro long lenses are out of my reach, I was thinking of changing my Panny 45-175mm for something a little longer. Options in my price range seem to be either the Oly 75-300mm or the Panny 100-300mm. The Panny is a more expensive and a little faster as well as being weather-sealed but the Oly gives me a bit more at the wider end. Anyone here had any experience with either of these lenses.

Last edited:
I'm currently using a EM1X for a couple of weeks through the Olympus Pro Loan scheme. I usually shoot with a Nikon D850. Have to say I'm impressed by the OLY thus far, particularly the IBIS. I will admit that carting the D850 with a sigma 150-600S sticking out of the front is back breaking at times, especially when it's attached to a pod and gimbal, and is my main consideration for the switchover. The Em1X is winning on points at the moment but on Wed/Thur I'll be going over to WWT London with both beasties to see how they stand up to each other in a field test. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks peeps.

Seeing as the Pro long lenses are out of my reach, I was thinking of changing my Panny 45-175mm for something a little longer. Options in my price range seem to be either the Oly 75-300mm or the Panny 100-300mm. The Panny is a more expensive and a little faster as well as being weather-sealed but the Oly gives me a bit more at the wider end. Anyone here had any experience with either of these lenses.

I had the Panasonic 100-300 MkI and let it go because my copy was not very sharp at the long end, even with a tripod and timer release. There do seem to be people who rate their 100-300 MkII but I've never tried that version - allegedly it's the same optics as the MkI. Maybe I just had a bad copy.

I have the Oly 75-300 II for travel and whilst it's not perfect, it appears sharper at the short end than the 100-300 MkI I had and is still reasonably good at the long end but you will need good light at f/6.7. So based on my experience I would go for the Olympus lens.

Here's a few test shots:

20190410_131656_055 by Maarten D&#x27;Haese, on Flickr

20190410_155242_106 by Maarten D&#x27;Haese, on Flickr

Last edited:
I had both and tried them side by side, I found the opposite to Maarten, the Panny was definitely sharper.

I had the Panasonic 100-300 MkI and let it go because my copy was not very sharp at the long end, even with a tripod and timer release. There do seem to be people who rate their 100-300 MkII but I've never tried that version - allegedly it's the same optics as the MkI. Maybe I just had a bad copy.

I have the Oly 75-300 II for travel and whilst it's not perfect, it appears sharper at the short end than the 100-300 MkI had and is still reasonably good at the long end but you will need good light at f/6.7. So based on my experience I would go for the Olympus lens.

Here's a few test shots:

20190410_131656_055 by Maarten D&#x27;Haese, on Flickr

20190410_155242_106 by Maarten D&#x27;Haese, on Flickr

Thanks Maarten, I was leaning towards the 75-300.
I had both and tried them side by side, I found the opposite to Maarten, the Panny was definitely sharper.
Anything on Flickr I can look at?

I’ve previously owned the Panny 100-300mm mk II. I don’t have many images online, but there are 3 on my Flickr shot with a G9

https://flickr.com/photos/60309810@N08/sets/72157692259741700

I always found it excellent up to around 275 to 280mm, but it got noticeably softer after that although absolutely still usable. I think Panasonic gave it weather sealing and increased AF speed and accuracy with the mk II, but left the optical performance more or less unchanged. No experience with the Oly 75-300mm I’m afraid.

Hope this helps.

Simon.

Back