Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Recently it was a toss up between the E-M1 Mkii and a Fuji X-T3. I decided on the X-T3 but, to me, it just doesnt feel right in the hand. So I then bought the grip and strangely that made it feel even worse, nowhere to put my 3rd finger and it feld really unbalanced. To top it off, with the grip added, it then wasn't much of a weight gain over my Nikon body. So to coin a phrase I obviuosly "zigged when I should have zagged".
I've now just got the E-M1 ii with the 12-100mm f4 pro lens (the way have should have gone in the first place).
Excited is putting mildly while wait for it to arrive, never handled the Mkii but I did have have the Mk1 for a short time recently and that felt very comfortable.
I was going to buy the X-T3 but found exactly the same as you, the official accessory grip is a really uncomfortable design imo.

Off topic I know, but the old Skoda diesel scrubs up well :)

View attachment 271218

I cover nearly 19,000 miles a year just for my commute, so comfort and fuel economy (it'll do 60mpg without trying) are top of my priorities these days while I pound up and down the A19.

Anyway, back on topic.....

Simon.
Shame it looks like it is parked on the pavement!

Shame it looks like it is parked on the pavement!

You know, it was parked like that (allowing more than enough room for anyone pushing a pram or pushchair to get passed) for less than 10 minutes. However, as it was clearly offensive to you as you saw the need to comment and not wanting to drag this forum thread off topic, I've removed the image. Thanks.

My apologies too, I thought I’d put a smiley up there. It’s a bit late, but here is one to say sorry :(

You know, it was parked like that (allowing more than enough room for anyone pushing a pram or pushchair to get passed) for less than 10 minutes. However, as it was clearly offensive to you as you saw the need to comment and not wanting to drag this forum thread off topic, I've removed the image. Thanks.

Whilst it was up Simon, nice car. I do think the newer Skoda's look really nice.

One from the new MK3 yesterday as a try out (after using my Z6 for a while). Like an idiot, I forget that I had it in jpg only mode (doh !)

@the black fox Jeff, those recent images of Littel Egrets and Snipe are looking your best yet! In my not so humble opinion :D

I like the graphic strength and simplicity of the enlarged Dipper too.

Following on from earlier discussion about slooow shutter speeds on water, I was out shooting my surfing buddies again yesterday and quickly snapped this one at 1/30s, same subject as before and same lens etc.

I think I may have to revisit there (it's local) without my surfer friends and try out the M1X onboard ND filters for the first time and with time to do it without distractions.

GOLDEN CAPS by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Last edited:
@the black fox Jeff, those recent images of Littel Egrets and Snipe are looking your best yet! In my not so humble opinion :D

I like the graphic strength and simplicity of the enlarged Dipper too.
Why thank you robin , minor changes in shooting style and p.p has worked wonders.

your golden cap looks stunning to . Bet them waves will be washing a few fossils out

Last edited:
Following on from earlier discussion about slooow shutter speeds on water, I was out shooting my surfing buddies again yesterday and quickly snapped this one at 1/30s, same subject as before and same lens etc.

I think I may have to revisit there (it's local) without my surfer friends and try out the M1X onboard ND filters for the first time and with time to do it without distractions.

GOLDEN CAPS by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Nice Robin
Nice light and conditions I would like to have been beside you to see what I would have shot.

I suppose it's time to own up.... I managed to get a good deal and am also an EM1mk3 owner - so you're not on your own @Sootchucker :) I would have got an EM1x as a second body had it not been so big.

I tried it out at The Hawk Conservancy last Sunday and am really happy with it. It does seem snappier than the EM1mk2 which is no slouch. I don't like the menu button position. I will also have to relearn my muscle memory if I keep the ISO and exp comp buttons as they are. I love the Favourites menus. Also love having the ND filter though I only tried that briefly at the beach yesterday - hand held in very windy conditions.

A few examples all taken with the 40-150 f/2.8 lens

A SOOC jpeg - cropped a little but otherwise untouched...

200308141740-BCO30199.jpg

Processed RAW file and a bit of a crop..

200308141116-BCO30166.jpg

Processed RAW and quite a big crop - black kites locking talons

200308144019-BCO30378.jpg

another shot from yesterday , this time with the 50-200SWD and EC-14 . giving 283mm focal length x 2 , but note as the spring gathers pace the auto iso is also dropping this one came in at 100iso and some yesterday were down to 64 iso or lower love this lens combo

licking its lips by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

a lovely dog coming off the salt water flooded marsh yesterday . only problem being I sat and watched its owner set it on the roosting birds out there . the dog deserves better .. but I just take the photos .
wet dog by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Last edited:
I spotted ref to this video in a DPReview thread..........I have only so far watched a few bits.......but here (and I include myself) for all of us that care about weather proofing on our E1 series Olympus bodies, especially as support for @RedRobin experience (+ others that don't immediately come to mind ;) )

View: https://youtu.be/bCdi0m1fe9U

PS this is the DPReview thread
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4474289

Well that just confirms what I have experienced
I found it interesting that Oly were regaurded as leading the way but oly have always been innovative

Not having much luck with the BIF, my technique is cr@p but I did manage this yesterday?

Obviously Nelly’s a bit bigger than most birds I see, and a lot closer but she can move just as fast!

.... BIF in particular can be very frustrating and also can diminish self confidence. Even with all the AF technology at our fingertips it's still difficult. You just have to keep trying but even when you do succeed there'll be other days when you can't seem to get many hits.

I spotted ref to this video in a DPReview thread..........I have only so far watched a few bits.......but here (and I include myself) for all of us that care about weather proofing on our E1 series Olympus bodies, especially as support for @RedRobin experience (+ others that don't immediately come to mind ;) )

View: https://youtu.be/bCdi0m1fe9U

PS this is the DPReview thread
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4474289

.... W O W !!! That interview video held at Olympus HQ Japan is extremely reassuring re weatherproofing - Not that I need any more reassurance! I have been on beaches recently photographing surfer friends in extremes of wetness and wind including icy wind-blown hail through which I couldn't even see and even the surfers stopped until the hail had passed.

It's a really nice feeling to learn how their high standard of weathersealing is achieved. Thank you @Box Brownie - Very much appreciated.

Of course not every photographer needs such weathersealing but it's a huge advantage if you shoot outdoors for lengthy periods of time - Olympus clearly understand this and how enabling it is.

I must say that there is something very satisfying about seeing your camera get a right old soaking and having the knowledge that it's not a problem. The buttons and dials felt no different.

Back