Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

yes they are still open robin and I got a 100 page multi coloured drawing book , its even got some pretty pink pages in it just for you sweetie :LOL::LOL::LOL:

.... You captured a great shape there Steve. And, without any pixel-peeping, it looks sharp.

If you shot this RAW you should be able to pull out some of the detail in the shadows. Experiment but don't overdo it - An image always wants to end up looking natural and not over processed (like over cooking!).
Thanks for taking time to comment on the photo Robin

Picked up a used Olympus EM10 mk II and 14-42mm EZ lens to use as a take anywhere camera. Actually very pleased with how the lens performs wide open at 42mm and near MFD :)

EM10 mk II Test by Simon Harrison, on Flickr

Cheers,

Simon.
There's always something about Lego figures, particularly Lego Star Wars figures that puts a smile on my face ;)

Pigeon and sparrow steve

Yep a nice shot of a Wood Pigeon Steve, looks like you got it attention. ;)
Liking the puffed up Sparrow too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys I need to swot up on my bird knowledge, but I'd have never have guessed that was a sparrow, can't say I've seen one like that before.

Hi Steve

In regard to bird ID, I have found the Merlin Bird ID app I installed on my Android phone quite beneficial. I know some but even after decades of 'being interested' in birds I have found it a great resource :) IMO worth looking into if you need a searchable reference on the smartphone!

Hi Steve

In regard to bird ID, I have found the Merlin Bird ID app I installed on my Android phone quite beneficial. I know some but even after decades of 'being interested' in birds I have found it a great resource :) IMO worth looking into if you need a searchable reference on the smartphone!
I've just downloaded it, looks really useful, thanks.

I was playing with the 12-40 on my Pen F today for the 52 theme. I thought I'd share because it surprised me how shallow the depth of field was.

Anyone want to guess what the aperture was for this shot - without checking the exif? Taken at a focal length of 16mm

20200406-P4060116-Edit.jpg

and then here is one at f/2.8 taken at 15mm.

20200406-P4060112-Edit.jpg

I was playing with the 12-40 on my Pen F today for the 52 theme. I thought I'd share because it surprised me how shallow the depth of field was.

Anyone want to guess what the aperture was for this shot - without checking the exif? Taken at a focal length of 16mm

View attachment 274360

and then here is one at f/2.8 taken at 15mm.

View attachment 274361
Well assuming you've focused on the number plate, most of the jigsaw pieces in front are reasonably in focus so I'm guessing f8?

Well assuming you've focused on the number plate, most of the jigsaw pieces in front are reasonably in focus so I'm guessing f8?
YES! Well done.

I would have guessed the same as you, or possibly even f/4 @Ajophotog.

I thought at f/8 I would get a greater depth of field than I have. I quite like that the car is in focus and the houses a bit blurred, but I expected them to be sharper. I should mention that the houses in the background on the jigsaw are all sharp in real life.

I know it's not a very scientific test, I was just playing with angles and apertures.

A while ago now I was asking opinions on my proposed purchase of Olympus gear next month so, I just wanted to ask an opinion now that the E-M1 Mkiii has launched as to whether or not there are enough improvements over the MKii to justify buying it, or is the E-M1X still the best option?

the E-M1X is still top of the range but a bit bigger and bulkier than the mk2 or 3 .. whatever you go for I don't think you will be disappointed . there is a long learning curve that can be daunting for some reason they are a law unto themselves with menu systems ,but there is a awful lot of help out there and on here to overcome it .. and the main thing is there doesn't seem to be many unhappy owners

Get the best you can afford. I have 3 Olympus cameras, e-m1 mk1, mk2 and the 10 mk3. All produce great photos but I would get the new mk3 as it is now out if l was in the market for a new camera and could afford it.

Get the best you can afford. I have 3 Olympus cameras, e-m1 mk1, mk2 and the 10 mk3. All produce great photos but I would get the new mk3 as it is now out if l was in the market for a new camera and could afford it.
Thanks, budget isn’t an issue as all are affordable and within it. I just wondered if the E-M1 Mkiii is close enough now to the ‘X’ in terms of performance given the new processor etc. I have no problem with the ergonomics on either as I would put a grip on to the iI
or iii anyway.

Last edited:
the E-M1X is still top of the range but a bit bigger and bulkier than the mk2 or 3 .. whatever you go for I don't think you will be disappointed . there is a long learning curve that can be daunting for some reason they are a law unto themselves with menu systems ,but there is a awful lot of help out there and on here to overcome it .. and the main thing is there doesn't seem to be many unhappy owners
Thanks Jeff, the bulk of the X isn’t a concern as I’ve handled and liked it very much. It’s more a question of whether the Mkiii is close to the performance levels now with the new additions and improvements really.

From general comments on various forums I would say yes it’s pretty near to it ,even the mkii holds its own though I certaintly can’t fault it and won’t be upgrading .. any time soon .
one of the things that drew me to Olympus is there forward thinking re system upgrades .. plus the excellent warranty had mine 6 months now and still got 5 years warranty left .try that with canikon

Picked up a used Olympus EM10 mk II and 14-42mm EZ lens to use as a take anywhere camera. Actually very pleased with how the lens performs wide open at 42mm and near MFD :)

EM10 mk II Test by Simon Harrison, on Flickr

Cheers,

Simon.

Simon
The 14-42 EZ is very nice and has a great MF action too

Thanks Jeff, the bulk of the X isn’t a concern as I’ve handled and liked it very much. It’s more a question of whether the Mkiii is close to the performance levels now with the new additions and improvements really.
I have the Mk2 and Mk3.

One advantage of the Mk3 over the EM1x is that it has the star autofocus, but it wouldn't surprise me if that comes along as a firmware upgrade. The Mk3 doesn't have the specific autofocus for vehicles etc. that the x has. There might be other differences. Might be worth looking on YouTube.

I think I saw somewhere that the Mk3 fares better for noise at high ISO than the x but don't think there is much in it.

This might be of use
View: https://youtu.be/5nYMXkgFAEY

I have the Mk2 and Mk3.

One advantage of the Mk3 over the EM1x is that it has the star autofocus, but it wouldn't surprise me if that comes along as a firmware upgrade. The Mk3 doesn't have the specific autofocus for vehicles etc. that the x has. There might be other differences. Might be worth looking on YouTube.

I think I saw somewhere that the Mk3 fares better for noise at high ISO than the x but don't think there is much in it.

This might be of use
View: https://youtu.be/5nYMXkgFAEY
Thank you, I’ll take a look at this.

first off heres a goldfinch from my front garden this morning on the cherry tree which is now in full bloom . I just got a chair out and let the wife mow the lawn around me and took a few shots . the mkiii might be better on noise than the mkii but I have never found that to be a problem and its probably cheaper to invest in topaz de.noise Ai than spend a extra 5-600 quid .
anyway this mornings offering
dreams of gold by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

you often hear me mention the stunning view from where I live ,heres part of it taken yesterday while sat in the front garden taking goldfinches , across the dee estuary towards parkgate showing the river and the dee marshes and in the foreground the observation platform on top of the castle tower I have a clear view for about 20 miles in any direction .including right out over the Irish Sea to the left of pic .
dee estuary by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Maybe this is the wrong time for a lot of Olympus owners but Camera Jungle have a mint 300 mm pro for sale with 10% deal on cameras lenses etc after discount £1368 with there normal 12 month warranty could be a good deal if you have something to trade in

before I moved to olympus many times I heard the statement you'll never get birds in flight with it , proved them wrong on that point but reached a new high this afternoon a wasp in flight and sharp as well .. very pleased with the 60mm macro lens its the dogs doodahs

gotcha by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Back