Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I’ve set my EM-1 mk2 for back button focus. But when I engage Pro Capture it’ll only focus using the shutter button.
Someone please tell me how I set it to BBF. It’s driving me mad...

I’ve set my EM-1 mk2 for back button focus. But when I engage Pro Capture it’ll only focus using the shutter button.
Someone please tell me how I set it to BBF. It’s driving me mad...

I have used Pro Capture Lo a lot and my bbf allocated button works fine. NB I use the L-fn button.

However, though I cannot recall fully, if you are using Pro Capture High then because it is not updating the focusing i.e. only S-AF not C-AF so the bbf button/setting is overriden?

I have used Pro Capture Lo a lot and my bbf allocated button works fine. NB I use the L-fn button.

However, though I cannot recall fully, if you are using Pro Capture High then because it is not updating the focusing i.e. only S-AF not C-AF so the bbf button/setting is overriden?

Thanks. Been googling around. Seems there are difficulties when using Pana/Leica 100-400..which I am. Pro Capture High works. But of course only focuses on the first frame.

Thanks. Been googling around. Seems there are difficulties when using Pana/Leica 100-400..which I am. Pro Capture High works. But of course only focuses on the first frame.

Whatever the lens Pro Capture High only focuses at/on the initial frame.

With the Pana/Leica 100-400 it will not function with Pro Capture Low, only High.

I guessing most know already but just a heads up for those that don't Olympus are offering a free teleconverter with the 150mm Pro (x1.4) and the 300mm pro (x2). Tempted myself but after visiting a wetlands this weekend to try and capture some birds I realised that even 300mm is pretty limiting, so maybe looking to try a Panny 100-400mm

Last edited:
I guessing most know already but just a heads up for those that don't Olympus are offering a free teleconverter with the 150mm Pro (x1.4) and the 300mm pro (x2). Tempted myself but after visiting a wetlands this weekend to try and capture some birds I realised that even 300mm is pretty limiting, so maybe looking to try a Panny 100-400mm
ah but 300mm plus 1.4 gives around 440mm ? I believe . and is a better lens all-round as you will have dual i.s .. where as the 100-400 is limited to f.6.3 and lens only i.s .. if I had the funds I know what I would do

If it's the 2x t/c with the 300mm it's actually 600mm (1200 f/f equiv), as compared to the 420mm (840mm f/f equiv) if using the 1.4 t/c.
Regarding convenience - the 100-400mm is smaller and lighter than the 300mm Pro.
You pays your money ................................

ah but 300mm plus 1.4 gives around 440mm ? I believe . and is a better lens all-round as you will have dual i.s .. where as the 100-400 is limited to f.6.3 and lens only i.s .. if I had the funds I know what I would do

Me too. My 100-400 is pretty much always at 400.
I’d like to be able to shoot Pro Capture at silent low. Just to see if I could catch a bird taking off.
Not enough £££ at the moment.
Have to keep reminding myself it’s just a hobby. Still having fun though.

I guessing most know already but just a heads up for those that don't Olympus are offering a free teleconverter with the 150mm Pro (x1.4) and the 300mm pro (x2). Tempted myself but after visiting a wetlands this weekend to try and capture some birds I realized that even 300mm is pretty limiting, so maybe looking to try a Panny 100-400mm

Steve I am lucky in the fact I have the 40-150 300 mm and both converters and I do own the Panny 100-400 and I hardly use it to the point I am going to sell it When I am out at say at a nature reserve I take the 40-150 and the 300 mm with both converters as the converters come in clippable pouches they are on my belt at all times and give great flexibility with both lenses and good coverage to cover all bases. I thought that I would need a zoom but in reality I find the two lenses and TC a really flexible combination.

Last edited:
If it's the 2x t/c with the 300mm it's actually 600mm (1200 f/f equiv), as compared to the 420mm (840mm f/f equiv) if using the 1.4 t/c.
Regarding convenience - the 100-400mm is smaller and lighter than the 300mm Pro.
You pays your money ................................

I’d love the 300mm and the x2 but realistically (financially) the 100-400mm is my only option to increase reach.

Just as a aside , the 100-400 does suffer with some users from a slight back focus problem ( well documented online) I have mine micro adjusted at the tele end to -3 to correct this and just on the centre cluster of focus points . If you have not done it before it’s quite easy just select near or tele and apply to the focus points you normally use . Each point is done and set and saved individually so takes a bit of time .
So if for any reason your wondering why your shots aren’t pinsharp this could be the reason . Best way to check is upload your Files ,then put card back in camera and compare where focus point shows on camera as compared to computer . If consistently out you may need a micro adjust

Just as a aside , the 100-400 does suffer with some users from a slight back focus problem ( well documented online) I have mine micro adjusted at the tele end to -3 to correct this and just on the centre cluster of focus points . If you have not done it before it’s quite easy just select near or tele and apply to the focus points you normally use . Each point is done and set and saved individually so takes a bit of time .
So if for any reason your wondering why your shots aren’t pinsharp this could be the reason . Best way to check is upload your Files ,then put card back in camera and compare where focus point shows on camera as compared to computer . If consistently out you may need a micro adjust
I wasn't aware of this, good info (y). I was lucky, mine was spot on :)

Took the plunge and got myself an Olympus dot sight. First go at fast birds in flight, yes I know they are not sharp but the Swifts were a long way up and these are HUGE crops, I am only using a panasonic 100-300mm lens (not very fast focussing) and the birds were manic. Never been abe to capture a swift or swallow in flight before so its looking promising. I might have to get a faster lens now.
Swift in flight by Chris Wright, on Flickr

Hey guys, question!

I've created a used lens/camera finder, I'm continually developing it and I hope to collate all used data the UK retailers.

Should I put Olympus OM lenses in with M 4/3 lenses, or with 'Other 35mm lens mounts' - which deals with mostly film lenses that don't fit onto digital cameras.

I wondered what would be most useful to you.

Last edited:
Hey guys, question!

I've created a used lens/camera finder, I'm continually developing it and I hope to collate all used data the UK retailers.

Should I put Olympus OM lenses in with M 4/3 lenses, or with 'Other 35mm lens mounts' - which deals with mostly film lenses that don't fit onto digital cameras.

I wondered what would be most useful to you.

Deffo m4/3rds.........

Took the plunge and got myself an Olympus dot sight. First go at fast birds in flight, yes I know they are not sharp but the Swifts were a long way up and these are HUGE crops, I am only using a panasonic 100-300mm lens (not very fast focussing) and the birds were manic. Never been abe to capture a swift or swallow in flight before so its looking promising. I might have to get a faster lens now.

Chris, I've been considering a dot finder for some time now, as it's almost impossible with the 300mm F4 (600m Equiv) to keep smaller fast moving birds in the viewfinder. Do they actually work well and easily, or are they a bit hit and miss ?

@dancook When I'm looking for toys ... sorry tools, I only want Micro 4/3rds lenses.
I've no interest in old manual lenses and adapters.
It wouldn't bother me much if they were listed, but it wouldn't help me either.
Back when I shot Pentax it was handy that old lenses fit my K100D without an adapter but AFAIK that's not true for Olympus.

Something I do find annoying is sites like MPB where they list by manufacturer - so their M43 lenses are in two places.
https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-lenses/used-olympus-lenses/
https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-lenses/used-panasonic-lenses/

That's not the end of the world but they also bundle Walimex, Sigma, SLR magic, Rokinon and Samyang arbitrarily into one or the other or sometimes both.
So you have to hunt around.

A strict lens mount choice would be my preference but others probably have other thoughts.

@dancook i rarely use older manual focus lenses anymore and if I do it’ll just be the odd one from a car booty or charity shop. Usually when looking for a lens I’m exclusively looking for Micro 4/3rds. It wouldn’t be a big problem if older OM lenses were there but it wouldn’t be helpful to me.

Chris, I've been considering a dot finder for some time now, as it's almost impossible with the 300mm F4 (600m Equiv) to keep smaller fast moving birds in the viewfinder. Do they actually work well and easily, or are they a bit hit and miss ?
Hi Andrew, once the dot sight is set up (takes a minute or so, very easy and quick) it works very well. I am at the 300mm end too and I've tried numerous times in the past to capture swifts and swallows and failed miserably every time. With the dot sight its so easy to follow the small birds as they weave through the sky (something I just cannot do in the viefinder). I have also tried it on my Nikon D7200 with the Tamron 150-600mm at 600mm so thats 900mm equivalent and again it works very well, I had forgot just how heavy theat combo is though now I have the Olympus. I am of course limited by the lens (neither are fast focussing) so the dot finder allows me to track the birds allowing the camera to obtain focus. I have the body set to only release once focus is achieved so I just follow the birds with my finger on the shutter release and let it take the shots when it can. I have to say the I am very please with it and it does take a little time to get used to but I only got it yesterday so it cant be that hard if I can do it.
I'm sure with ducks, geese, herons etc it will be very much easier.

Just received the new Olympus MC-20 2x Teleconverter, and thought I'd give it a quick go on my OM-D EM1 MK III and the 300mm F4 Pro. So a combined effective focal length of 1,200mm !!

This is handheld !

This was the very first shot I took and I have to say to being pretty impressed for a 2x converter. Very useable. Some very light sharpening in Topaz Sharpen AI but I think it looks pretty good even if the subject matter won't win any prizes ?

Full image, medium crop - approx 11mp

And a 100% Crop

Last edited:
Here's another with the 2x converter. These are all handheld and wide open at F8

Back