Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

@Sootchucker Andrew, something I forgot to mention and am now reminded by your mention of lens reach, is the excellence of the Olympus MC-14 and MC-20 Pro teleconverters. They are absolutely leading the current state-of-the-art of optical converters across all brands. But they only fit some of the Olympus ED Pro lenses.

So, they might be a factor in your choice. The possibility and potential of shooting equivalent 1200mm handheld without loss of image quality (depending of course on atmospherics and distance) is sometimes invaluable.

Already have both of therm Robin and the 40-150 F2.8 and 300mm F4 that they fit. I agree, they are both shockingly good for teleconverters.

Wish I had your spare money Andrew.:thinking::tumbleweed:

Jeff, it's called no kids, no smoking, little drinking, well paid job and a VERY understanding wife :p

Spare Money is nice to have you ask my Nephews and Niece They all love interest free bank of Rob loans lol

Rob.

I know that one too. The Bank of Dad gives out unsecured loans to adult kids all the time :)

A sad shot from the weekend, this is heavily cropped, I spotted the little chap in a tree, and used the 300mm plus 2x TC to grab this. I imagine its the protozoan parasite. May 30 2020 P5300179.jpg

to any users of topaz de-noise there's been yet another update this morning , now V.2.2.2 seems to have impacted the sharpening side of things. em1-mkii+ 50-200SWD+EC14 @283mm
popped in for a drink by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Last edited:
My stand alone is V1 .3.3 says no updates Jeff .

Rob

I went to Wasdale for a short trip out as the weather was very calm and there was a chance of a reflection not my usual tome of year for landscapes but I wanted to try my E-M1ii and fancied getting somewhere a bit calm after a long day at work.

I chose mono as I felt it suited the scene

Wasdale mono reflection by Alf Branch, on Flickr

@Sootchucker I understand the dilemma. The reason I threw myself into m43 (after an initial dip in for a travel camera), was because I wanted a longer lens and couldn’t justify the huge expense of the Canon 500mm and was also worried about the size and weight of it.

So I invested in the Oly EM1ii, 300mm and 1.4 converter. Then my friend was selling his pristine 500mm. We both went to a bird hide and I tried it out. I confess I flirted with the idea for a few days, but I’m glad I stuck with the Oly. I think it would get left at home a lot due to its size and weight, plus I could barely hand hold it- I know people mostly don’t. For me the idea has been put to bed.

I went to Wasdale for a short trip out as the weather was very calm and there was a chance of a reflection not my usual tome of year for landscapes but I wanted to try my E-M1ii and fancied getting somewhere a bit calm after a long day at work.

I chose mono as I felt it suited the scene

Wasdale mono reflection by Alf Branch, on Flickr

That’s lovely. Did you use Hi-res? I confess I still haven’t tried that out yet.

My stand alone is V1 .3.3 says no updates Jeff .

Rob
Have you disabled auto updates or is it a old version .?

Have you disabled auto updates or is it a old version .?
dont get that option Jeff, had it about 5 months

Got it Jeff I was not lodge in opps

Last edited:
dont get that option Jeff, had it about 5 months

Got it Jeff I was not lodge in opps
Quite a few changes to the version you have been using rob :naughty: lucky I posted it then

Indeed it is Jeff it looks very interesting so pleased you pointed it out as i thought i WAS up to date :)

Rob.

Indeed it is Jeff it looks very interesting so pleased you pointed it out as i thought i WAS up to date :)

Rob.
I don't think they free update anymore between major versions like they used to. I fear you might have to pay for version2.

I don't think they free update anymore between major versions like they used to. I fear you might have to pay for version2.
Yeah that’s what they announced about 3 months or so back alby but they have updated it about ten times since then ? Go figure !

Suppose you have all seen the latest video from the Northrup's about the impending imminent demise of Micro Four Thirds (and a few others in fact) in his latest post.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1046&v=loF_ZuB-yds&feature=emb_logo

I usually don't watch any of Tony's videos as most are obviously click bait, but just for a laugh I decided to have a look at this one. To be fair to him (did I just say that), he actually makes a degree of sense (though I don't think all his predictions will come true), but the main take away for me, were a few things:

1. He's obviously a bit sensitive to bashing Micro Four thirds too much (as he sorta has in the past), as he does his very best to not alienate the user base, and actually pays it one or two compliments, I'm guessing he's had a lot of negative comments over past sentiments (and Olympus is still here - at least for now).

2. Very correctly he says that even if (and it's a big if), companies like Olympus do pull out of the photographic market, it won't happen overnight but will be a gradual process. Indeed he states you will start seeing more and more minor iterations of equipment rather than true new models recycling a lot of older parts and just "refreshing" them with new software and maybe new processors. Hmm..I suppose one could argue that's exactly what Olympus did to the EM1 MK III from the MK II, as whilst I do love my MKIII, if we are being honest, it's 80% a MK II anyway. As he rightly says, if a camera company does pull out, it doesn't mean your equipment stops working, it could be potentially used for many years afterwards quite successfully. Obviously getting the cameras of lenses repaired if needed could be problematic if spares are longer produced after several years ?

3. If Olympus did quit the business (and again it's a big if), it could actually mean that secondhand prices of used bodies and lenses could actually increase not decrease due to supply and demand, with folks (like me) that have a big M4/3 system, and don't want to swap, would actually have to buy secondhand to replace their systems.

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe much of what Tony says as after all he's in the business of getting people to click on his videos and visit his website, but for once it was a much more cautious and considered video from Tony.

Be interesting to hear of what fellow users think of this or the state of the Micro four thirds business as a whole ?

its one of his typical click bait videos imho . what he is saying can be applied to every single camera company world wide .. canon and nikon both late to the mirrorless market and doing there usual crap idea of making you pay for a new body with minor improvements .. Sony at the moment top dogs but again not everyone likes there ergonomics and again new models often mean changing your whole set up .. olympus has a worldwide loyal following with superb warranty and back up i.e the omd1-mk2 body I bought last sept still has nearly 5 years warranty left on it .. plus a lot of users buy for two reasons only performance and weight .. if I for one had to go back to lugging heavy gear around again then its game over and a lot of other old timers are in the same boat .. the whole world is in deep s*** over covid .. so no need for self emulating predictions from the likes of this prick

Did we hit a nerve there Jeff :D:D

My finger hovered over the YouTube video this morning and I decided not to watch. Whatever he says, I'm not about to sell all my Olympus gear and I think all companies will be struggling after the pandemic.

When I decided to move to Olympus from Canon I watched one of his videos think was the 300 mm pro vs Nikon 500 mm I thought what rubbish are you spouting on about all systems have good and bad points you work with what you got. Never watched or will again visit his video rants. The world is very different from 6 months ago every business no matter what size its now a case of adapt or die

Last edited:
Not at all I think the blokes so far up his own arse he can no longer smell the crap :exit::exit::exit:
I just see it for the entertainment factor ;) There's very few now that aren't clickbait and/or scaremongering. Despite his clickbait titles I do find that Jared does tend to offer pretty fair reviews and opinions, and Manny Ortiz seems to be pretty fair too.

In the old days he'd have been wearing a placard and shouting on the corner of a bit of grass just off the town centre. Possibly printing 500 copies of his newsletter and handwriting the envelopes.

Now his audience is the world. It's a great shame. Most people won't pay much attention, but even a small % deciding not to buy into an extraordinary capable system might contribute to its demise.

Yeah that’s what they announced about 3 months or so back alby but they have updated it about ten times since then ? Go figure !
Those updates are within the version 2 Jeff but I bet you wont get an update to version 3 when it comes as that would be a major version step. Well not without having to shell out. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Those updates are within the version 2 Jeff but I bet you wont get an update to version 3 when it comes as that would be a major version step. Well not without having to shell out. ;)
In my book and I was doubtful at first ,it’s proved to be the make or break for MFT p.p .. so if there is a V3 an it’s got to be paid for I would most likely go for it , got to be cheaper long term than buying a new camera or changing systems Due to being unhappy with results .. taking the costs so far over a 12 month time scale it’s less than a quid a week

Suppose you have all seen the latest video from the Northrup's about the impending imminent demise of Micro Four Thirds (and a few others in fact) in his latest post.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1046&v=loF_ZuB-yds&feature=emb_logo

I usually don't watch any of Tony's videos as most are obviously click bait, but just for a laugh I decided to have a look at this one. To be fair to him (did I just say that), he actually makes a degree of sense (though I don't think all his predictions will come true), but the main take away for me, were a few things:

1. He's obviously a bit sensitive to bashing Micro Four thirds too much (as he sorta has in the past), as he does his very best to not alienate the user base, and actually pays it one or two compliments, I'm guessing he's had a lot of negative comments over past sentiments (and Olympus is still here - at least for now).

2. Very correctly he says that even if (and it's a big if), companies like Olympus do pull out of the photographic market, it won't happen overnight but will be a gradual process. Indeed he states you will start seeing more and more minor iterations of equipment rather than true new models recycling a lot of older parts and just "refreshing" them with new software and maybe new processors. Hmm..I suppose one could argue that's exactly what Olympus did to the EM1 MK III from the MK II, as whilst I do love my MKIII, if we are being honest, it's 80% a MK II anyway. As he rightly says, if a camera company does pull out, it doesn't mean your equipment stops working, it could be potentially used for many years afterwards quite successfully. Obviously getting the cameras of lenses repaired if needed could be problematic if spares are longer produced after several years ?

3. If Olympus did quit the business (and again it's a big if), it could actually mean that secondhand prices of used bodies and lenses could actually increase not decrease due to supply and demand, with folks (like me) that have a big M4/3 system, and don't want to swap, would actually have to buy secondhand to replace their systems.

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe much of what Tony says as after all he's in the business of getting people to click on his videos and visit his website, but for once it was a much more cautious and considered video from Tony.

Be interesting to hear of what fellow users think of this or the state of the Micro four thirds business as a whole ?

Watched this the other day, he made some fair points although in this economic climate just a guessing game as to what happens next.
Personally don't mind his videos, he speaks in an articulate manner and I prefer the calmer non ranting approach.

I am fully invested in M4/3, not going to worry too much especially given the size of Panasonic overall
Saying that I think Olympus and Ricoh (Pentax) appear to me as the likeliest candidates to fold their photographic arm

If M43 system continues to develop I cant see it folding anytime soon. In response to the link, its another 'im still here' - 'buy my book' video, probably financed by Canon :whistle:

Last edited:
Suppose you have all seen the latest video from the Northrup's about the impending imminent demise of Micro Four Thirds (and a few others in fact) in his latest post. ....SNIP....

.... As you have given such a comprehensive overview of Tony Northrup's video Andrew, I haven't bothered to spend my time watching it.

As you ask, my thoughts are based on the fact that as long as my Olympus Pro system keeps working so I can take photographs I don't care what everyone else is doing and I think it's a waste of both time and energy speculating about the camera manufacturing industry's future because that's all it is : Speculation.

In any event, technology advances never stand still and hardly pause for breath.

Last edited:
With reference to Topaz DeNoise AI :
In my book and I was doubtful at first ,it’s proved to be the make or break for MFT p.p .. so if there is a V3 an it’s got to be paid for I would most likely go for it , got to be cheaper long term than buying a new camera or changing systems Due to being unhappy with results .. taking the costs so far over a 12 month time scale it’s less than a quid a week

.... As a DeNoise AI user (latest version) I agree that it goes as far as making a big difference to post-processing m4/3 images. As a wildlife photographer relying on natural light it's not often that I can shoot at ISO 200 or less and consequently not need to reduce noise. But I wouldn't go rushing back to my beloved Canon FF if DeNoise didn't exist - I would simply continue using Imageonic's plug-in and possibly explore Capture One's noise reduction palette.

I think it should be pointed out that the very frequent (almost weekly!) DeNoise AI v2 updates which Topaz offer free within the version, are not primarily bug fixes but are further improvements and they are due to the structure of how DeNoise AI works. AI very aptly stands for Artificial Intelligence.

As with most software products, I expect that existing licence holders will always be offered an acceptable discount if upgrading to the next version. Dot updates are always free, version upgrades usually aren't.

Last edited:
As discussed earlier in this thread, myself and several others have given up on trying to get on with the Olympus 60mm F/2.8 Macro. It's sharpness is beyond question, as is the sharpness of the other dedicated macro lenses by the other brands. Also as already said, my solution has been to buy a used Metabones Adapter (from Wex) and then mount my Canon EF 100mm F/2.8L IS Macro on an Olympus E-M1X. My Kenko 1.4x is also mounted inline and consequently offers a maximum reach of 140mm (@280mm equivalent) which is perfect for my kind of wild minibeasts photography. So far, I shoot macro rather than micro.

I am very (totally!) inexperienced in using flash but am beginning to enjoy the help of my Olympus STF-8 when needed and it fits the Canon lens filter thread size via a Kenko step-down ring.

Here is an image example from the macro rig as described and shot with flash on :

CRANE FLY LOOKING LIKE AN ALIEN! by Robin Procter, on Flickr

The only downside (unless you are averse to size and weight!) is that in-camera Focus Bracketing/Stacking is not supported. But I always have an Olympus TG-6 Tough in my pocket and that has the stacking option. Here is an example :

RED IS MY FAVOURITE COLOUR - CARDINAL BEETLE by Robin Procter, on Flickr

The compared image quality is such that you would be forgiven for suggesting that the big Canon+Olympus macro rig isn't needed and that I could shoot all my macro work on the TG-6. Afterall, they both shoot RAW ORF files and even the processor in the TG-6 and M1X is the same. But, the lack of TG-6 viewfinder and fixed LCD LiveView screen too often restrict actually seeing and sharply focussing on minibeasts at certain angles and especially in bright sunlight due to screen reflections. Shooting on the Canon+Olympus rig offers far more control and a higher hit rate. Horses-for-Courses and no such thing as a perfect camera!

Last edited:
Robin do you retain I.s with this set up ? once the macro is gone I might try the the 100-400 with extension tubes ,in fact I will give that a go today to see If it works. . The close focus on the 100-400 is pretty good already why didn’t I think of it before .. will post back later

Robin do you retain I.s with this set up ? once the macro is gone I might try the the 100-400 with extension tubes ,in fact I will give that a go today to see If it works. . The close focus on the 100-400 is pretty good already why didn’t I think of it before .. will post back later

.... Yes, full IS is retained via the EF-m4/3 Metabones Adapter but I find that I don't need the lens IS as well as the Olympus IBIS and so I can switch it off on the Canon lens.

Are you talking about the Canon 100-400mm or another brand?

Olympus are struggling and have looked at offloading their camera department, but what does this mean for micro 4/3? My guess is not a lot. I've not heard any suggestion Panasonic are struggling, and having a little understanding of how Japanese companies work I'd be surprised if they don't continue to subsidise the Olympus camera dept if they can't offload it to Sony or someone else.

Back