Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Olympus are struggling and have looked at offloading their camera department, but what does this mean for micro 4/3? My guess is not a lot. I've not heard any suggestion Panasonic are struggling, and having a little understanding of how Japanese companies work I'd be surprised if they don't continue to subsidise the Olympus camera dept if they can't offload it to Sony or someone else.

.... I am struggling to to understand how anyone who isn't an Olympus executive, knows that Olympus "have looked at offloading their camera department". I suggest that such ideas are merely speculation and, dare I say, risk propogating fake news.

But I agree that it would probably take something very serious indeed to stop the camera department not being subsidised. There is also the cultural factor of not losing face.

o.k just had a play for the sake of robin its the panasonic 100-400 which is my staple lens I also have a pair of cheapo auto extension tubes which are 16mm and 10mm and can be stacked . the first shot is the bare 400mm lens on a ornament indoors at 43 inches distance
400mm by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

the next shot below is same item same distance but with the stacked tubes used so 400mm lens + 26mm extension tubes used both shots hand held indoors to see if it works ,both full frame shots looks like a incongrous post by robin has opened yet another door . pleased I am ... PLEASE NOTE these are just test shots to see if it works

400mm +26mm ext by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
o.k just had a play for the sake of robin its the panasonic 100-400 which is my staple lens I also have a pair of cheapo auto extension tubes which are 16mm and 10mm and can be stacked . the first shot is the bare 400mm lens on a ornament indoors at 43 inches distance.

the next shot below is same item same distance but with the stacked tubes used so 400mm lens + 26mm extension tubes used both shots hand held indoors to see if it works ,both full frame shots looks like a incongrous post by robin has opened yet another door . pleased I am ... PLEASE NOTE these are just test shots to see if it works

.... And pleased I am that one of my incongruous posts has opened yet another door for you! You were my mentor when I first started post-processing a few years ago when I was even more argumentative with other TP members!! Nah, nothing wrong with noise! < I used to say. And then this big Cockney sounding fella called Jeff phoned me and told me to shut the f-up and listen!!

Your idea of using your cheapo extension tubes has prompted me to try out my expensive Kenko tubes on my macro rig at some stage. However, in my case when shooting a macro subject at 280mm (equivalent) it means that the sudden unexpected appearance of a subject beyond the tubes' limited field cannot be focussed on. But, I do usually carry my second body with a telephoto lens already mounted and so perhaps ....

yes robin ext tubes limit your distance shots but a couple of ounces in the pocket are worth taking out as a just in case .. the PL100-400 has good enough close focus for even small blue butterflies anyway on it own , but the tubes will expand that I will also look into using it on the mk1 body as that can utilise my ring flash which has a long lead on it just need to jury rig a flash head holder . still on lockdown here so time to play

o.k just had a play for the sake of robin its the panasonic 100-400 which is my staple lens I also have a pair of cheapo auto extension tubes which are 16mm and 10mm and can be stacked . the first shot is the bare 400mm lens on a ornament indoors at 43 inches distance
400mm by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

400mm +26mm ext by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr
Cheapo tubes may no last long with a heavy lens on them the lens mounts came away on mine.

.... I am struggling to to understand how anyone who isn't an Olympus executive, knows that Olympus "have looked at offloading their camera department". I suggest that such ideas are merely speculation and, dare I say, risk propogating fake news.

But I agree that it would probably take something very serious indeed to stop the camera department not being subsidised. There is also the cultural factor of not losing face.
Having re-read you are right that they refuted looking into offloading the camera division, however they have never denied the financial losses of the camera dept. However, just like Nikon who's camera department is struggling, they are a bigger parent company and I believe these parent companies will subsidise the camera departments forever and a day.

That’s lovely. Did you use Hi-res? I confess I still haven’t tried that out yet.

Thanks
Yeah I did use the Hi res I often (when I remember) use it on my E-M5ii when the conditions suit.

Cheapo tubes may no last long with a heavy lens on them the lens mounts came away on mine.

.... I have heard of and read quite a few cases of such failures on cheap-as-chips tubes. Buy cheap, buy twice but what if you don't have the funds available? < Sell something you don't use.

What simply isn't worth the risk is the potential of damaging a heavy, usually expensive, lens as a result of tube mount failure.

But quite apart from weak mounts, the other important consideration is that a brand of tubes should have proven electronic comms between lens and body. Kenko m4/3 tubes meet this criteria and it is perhaps no surprise that they don't come cheap. The same applies to lens-to-body adapters where Metabones are the long established leaders.

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link!

Last edited:
For the Odd times that I’m actually going to use them they are sufficient ,definetly not going walkabout with them attached ... as I said earlier today the close focus on the PL100-400 is good enough for small blue butterflies anyway ..I have totally no interest in counting the hairs on a flies legs or elsewhere for that matter

Having re-read you are right that they refuted looking into offloading the camera division, however they have never denied the financial losses of the camera dept. However, just like Nikon who's camera department is struggling, they are a bigger parent company and I believe these parent companies will subsidise the camera departments forever and a day.

I think the Olympus name gets more exposure in the digital camera market than it does in an endoscopy suite...

Juvenile Blue Tit (I hope) Its at the end of the zoom and quite a crop but at least it makes a change from sparrows and blackbirds

Juvenile Blue Tit by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

.... As well as capturing a good moment, that's a lovely composition too. In my opinion this is a much more pleasing picture than a bird on a stick with a plain featureless background. The background adds a lot to this shot. Nice one Steve!

Still on the question of extension tubes for a moment, my mounted sequence is <Macro Lens+TC+Adapter+Body> and I have a 10mm+16mm Kenko extension tube option.

Is it best to mount the tube/s between Lens and TC? Or between TC and Adapter? Or does it not matter either way? - Thanks.

Still on the question of extension tubes for a moment, my mounted sequence is <Macro Lens+TC+Adapter+Body> and I have a 10mm+16mm Kenko extension tube option.

Is it best to mount the tube/s between Lens and TC? Or between TC and Adapter? Or does it not matter either way? - Thanks.
Try it both ways and see what works best with your equipment Robin. ;) when l used extension tubes in the past with a tc I always used the tc on the body side.

.... I have heard of and read quite a few cases of such failures on cheap-as-chips tubes. Buy cheap, buy twice but what if you don't have the funds available? < Sell something you don't use.

What simply isn't worth the risk is the potential of damaging a heavy, usually expensive, lens as a result of tube mount failure.

But quite apart from weak mounts, the other important consideration is that a brand of tubes should have proven electronic comms between lens and body. Kenko m4/3 tubes meet this criteria and it is perhaps no surprise that they don't come cheap. The same applies to lens-to-body adapters where Metabones are the long established leaders.

pure and utter snobbery robin as long as the electrical contacts are working and everything works then there is no difference bar to your bank account . as for alls comment re mount breaking I have known that to happen with top end canikon branded stuff to .. the first thing I do when with any used gear is to get out my micro screwdriver set and check ALL screws are secure .. i.e you wouldn't buy a used car off of someone without checking the oil and water first would you .. and in the same vein a brand new Ferrari and a S/H mondeo will both get you to your destination

While there is some mileage in that I do not fully agree as the cheap auto tubes work just fine and for the likes of the 60mm or kit 40-150 lens (with the 40-150 it is great light package) they are up to the job.

On the other hand I have a 4/3 EX-25 extension tube which is bombproof and I decided to get another but that was a waste of time as you cannot stack them as the fancy electronics stops them from working at all so the aperture does not work. What kind of lunatic does that?

Try it both ways and see what works best with your equipment Robin. ;) when l used extension tubes in the past with a tc I always used the tc on the body side.

I agree with Alby but look here for an extreme example

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/show-us-your-macro-rig.132158/post-7053510

I had a cheap extension tube and it ripped the contacts off a new panasonic 100-300 mkii lens which cost me £65 to have repaired. Now Im very careful what I buy. My only bad experience with cheap though.

No particular importance to most people, but I've just discovered another difference between the EM1-X and the newer EM1 MK III that I don't believe I've seen mentioned before.

I've just started to get into time lapses, and noticed that on the 1X, I can select for the camera to create a movie internally at the end of the time lapse session, and for Full HD I have the choice of 5, 15 & 30 FPS, but in 4K just 5 FPS.

On the EM1 MK III, under the 4K option, I have the option of creating it internally at 5, 15 and 30 FPS.

Just thought some might want to know.

.... As well as capturing a good moment, that's a lovely composition too. In my opinion this is a much more pleasing picture than a bird on a stick with a plain featureless background. The background adds a lot to this shot. Nice one Steve!
Thanks for that Robin, I appreciate your encouragement.

.. and in the same vein a brand new Ferrari and a S/H mondeo will both get you to your destination

.... Having done a lot of miles in various Ferraris, both new and secondhand, I would take any Ferrari every single time over a Ford Mondeo or other boring car whether secondhand or not. Yes they both get you to your destination but there's no prizes for guessing which is far more fun than the other. Life is as much about the journey as the destination - In fact the final destination for all of us is the same and so life is all about the journey.

Regarding extension tubes and camera gear generally, I'll stick to the brands I trust and feel most comfortable with. Buy cheap buy twice has never been my style after experiencing it a few times. That's also why most of my garden tools are now expensive Niwaki Japanese and even my kitchen scissors.

Last edited:

.... Thinking more about it I am inclined to mount Lens+TC+Tube(s)+Adapter+Body so that removing the tube(s) doesn't necessitate also unmounting and remounting the TC during a session. But I need to master my techniques without tubes before meeting that extra challenge.

Last edited:
What I was taught by John Bebbington is that body-TC-tubes-lens multiplies the extension tubes but body-tubes-TC-lens multiplies the lens (as you would expect). JB's expertise in the close-up field is hard to argue with.

I recently saw a comparison of the internal blacking of cheap tubes and Kenko. The cheap ones were not at as effective as Kenko and caused internal reflections that degraded the image. I bought Kenko earlier this week.....

What I was taught by John Bebbington is that body-TC-tubes-lens multiplies the extension tubes but body-tubes-TC-lens multiplies the lens (as you would expect). JB's expertise in the close-up field is hard to argue with.

I recently saw a comparison of the internal blacking of cheap tubes and Kenko. The cheap ones were not at as effective as Kenko and caused internal reflections that degraded the image. I bought Kenko earlier this week.....

.... Thanks Jonathan that's very helpful to know.

Internal blacking is something which Metabones have also done with their adapters - For the same good reason.

Coming from Canon to Olympus I still have a Canon fitting set of Polaroid 13/21/31mm tubes which would mount on my Canon Macro 100mm+Kenko1.4x and then Metabones adapter to my Olympus M1X. I bought them here from TP Classifieds and have hardly used them. They have metal mounts and are sturdy construction but they do not have internal blacking and you can see the shiny reflective communication rods inside. The Polaroid connector comms patterns don't match the adapter or Olympus and so that makes me wary of the possibility of processing confusion and even electronic damage.

However, to mount my higher quality Kenko tubes which are m4/3 fit I would have to mount them between my EF-m4/3 adapter and body and that is not something which Metabones recommend doing. I bought the Kenko m4/3 tubes used from WEX with the intention of mounting them on my Olympus 60mm Macro, a lens I do not get along with and am considering selling.

Hmm, I'm now wondering if I need to keep any of my extension tubes at all. Afterall, as an easily spookable minibeasts shooter I do not want to place my camera any closer to the subject, I just want to enlarge/magnify the subject on my sensor and capture more detail.

Last edited:
Close-up photography on a handheld 840mm equivalent lens - The power of Olympus and testament to the quality of their ED 300mm F/4 Pro with MC-14 mounted. I was about 20ft away and due to 5ft high nettles and thick brambles down a steep bank it would have been very foolish to try to approach closer. In my backyard wilderness in Dorset - Who cares about 'lockdown'! Yes, I am one of the lucky ones.

BEAUTIFUL DEMOISELLE BRINGING IT ON! by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Close-up photography on a handheld 840mm equivalent lens - The power of Olympus and testament to the quality of their ED 300mm F/4 Pro with MC-14 mounted. I was about 20ft away and due to 5ft high nettles and thick brambles down a steep bank it would have been very foolish to try to approach closer. In my backyard wilderness in Dorset - Who cares about 'lockdown'! Yes, I am one of the lucky ones.

BEAUTIFUL DEMOISELLE BRINGING IT ON! by Robin Procter, on Flickr
You are improving with each shot Robin. This is the best so far l think. Great composition.

stunner robin , one of the reasons I decided to sell my macro . the close up focus on the PL100-400mm is good enough for my needs

That is such a lovely photo.... still thinking of dipping my toes into M43.
you will be surprised ,the olympus are the better ones having used both main brands

I had a cheap extension tube and it ripped the contacts off a new panasonic 100-300 mkii lens which cost me £65 to have repaired. Now Im very careful what I buy. My only bad experience with cheap though.

Hah cheap compared to my bill for this

H-E08018 broken lens mount by Alf Branch, on Flickr

But that is really bad and I am surprised it was that cheap.

O dear, what happen to this?

My tripod fell over in strong winds and this gently hit the ground and Panasonic were terrible to deal with well there repairer actually.
It could not be repaired in Europe at the time so it was a replacement thankfully under insurance but they charged £170 more than the estimate for a replacement so I had to pay the difference.
I basically cost about 10% less than I paid new and I did not get a new box or hood etc

Back