Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Full grown Steve .. hell of a place init

I was unlucky when I went, Puffins didn’t come close :( Will go back at some point though.
Puffins were a bonus wasn’t expecting to see them, and it’s the first time I have. Only really called in for a walk across the cliff tops. First time I’ve been with a decently long lens and its given me a real yearning for a panny 100-400mm
Full grown Steve .. hell of a place init

It was excellent. We only called in on the way back from Danes Dyke but I could’ve spent all day there. Not sure the missus would agree though So, if that’s an adult, have they already had their chicks?

Last edited:
That's an adult, Steve. The youngsters will still be tucked away in their burrows. Its not often the case that young birds just out of the nest are actually smaller than the adults - it can be the other way around. Do puffins actaully nest there?
Yes they do got pics of them in there burrows from a couple of years ago , the main puffin nests though are between north landing and flambough head

Last edited:
Wow...massive news, Olympus have sold their camera business to JIP. So all the promises that Olympus would never sell or close down the imaging business, were all smoke and mirrors it seems. Wonder what that means now for our beloved brand and future developments - good or bad ?

https://www.43rumors.com/it-happened-olympus-sold-the-imaging-business-to-jip/
just read it through entirely and the only thing that bothers me is whether there repair /warranty service will continue as is . i'm certainly not going to panic over it .for the foreseeable future the two long lenses seem to be secure and will most likely happen . JIP seem to be able to turn things around hopefully this will see a lowering of some prices ... there could also be glut of of panic selling by some lesser brained mortals ... keep your eyes peeled for bargains ... also explains the massive price fluctuations of things like the 300m f4 over the last 9 months from circa £1400 up to £2100 .. be prepared for some serious crap from other brand aficionados as well ..hopefully it will be a case of the last laugh

Wow...massive news, Olympus have sold their camera business to JIP. So all the promises that Olympus would never sell or close down the imaging business, were all smoke and mirrors it seems. Wonder what that means now for our beloved brand and future developments - good or bad ?

https://www.43rumors.com/it-happened-olympus-sold-the-imaging-business-to-jip/
Disappointing but I doubt its the end of the OMD line. It won't change my mind about upgrading to an EM1.3 when funds allow.

It's worrying news but we'll just have to hope that the business continues. Looking at the reports on the various forums and blogs I do sometimes wonder why anyone would want to be in the photographic kit making business and I don't suppose this will be the last news about rationalisation, sale or even Gosh forbid withdrawal from the market.

When you think what Olympus has done over the years this is a crying shame. Here's hoping that despite my pessimism the future is brighter.

And another angle to this. Some Japanese companies treat their foreign works appallingly in countries where employment rights aren't so good. Mrs WW used to work for a Japanese company in Thailand and since she left the place has rapidly fallen apart and recently to try and balance the books the Japanese management demoted all but two Thai staff and introduced a 20% pay cut across the non Japanese workforce. They're also actively hacking people off in the hope they leave by transferring them to branches miles away where there's nothing for them to do. Here's hoping nothing like this happens in this case.

I doubt that we'll see any major changes to supply or quality etc for quite some time yet, if any.
Warranty issues don't bother me either, I always buy my kit second hand and let someone else take the hit of buying new (had some bargains that way) so any repair, if needed, would have to be paid by me but so far I have been lucky and had no major issues to speak of. The only thing that concerns me is that once this news gets around, it may have the opposite effect to what many expect and actually put the price of used gear up as people decide they want the original Olympus stuff before the new filters through and has been proven.

Last edited:
As someone else posted over at 43 rumors:

Finally, this now explains the lack of innovation over the past three and a half years. The decision to spin off certainly didn't come last week, and the time was obviously used to make as much turnover as possible on the basis of existing technology with an absolute minimum of investment, and to knock out the stocks of old sensors, processors, EVF panels and displays - a little repackaged and spruced up with slightly improved software. All of which won't make things easier for the new company, either.

I'm not sure about a lack of innovation as such... The new f1.2 primes may be niche but they are IMO eye catching while not being eye wateringly expensive and the new bodies may not come along at a machine gun pace but there's enough in the system to keep people interested and even happy? Maybe :D

Anyway. Here's hoping the brand names go on from here.

Thanks for your comment - But - I have colour deficiency and so I have no idea what you mean and cannot see or alter the colour.

Wow, that must make things really difficult. Is that what we call / used to call colour blindness?

I'll just elaborate my thinking a little for you. The bird and the branch both look great and the composition works really well. What I noticed is that there are two patches of magnta below the branch - which I'm sure are out-of-focus flowers. This is only my opinion, of course, but these patches are quite bright and take one's attention away from the bird. Also the magenta colour clashes quite badly with the postbox red on the bird's crown.

I wonder if you could ask someone to show these areas to you? If not one is in the bottom left hand corner - so easy to find - and you might be able to crop it out without affecting the composition too much.

The other is bordering the lower side of the branch just below the "elbow" and opposite the main part of the bird's body.

Perhaps you're happy to leave it as it is in which case fine. Otherwise I wonder if it might be possible to use the histogram values in some way to locate those areas?

I surmise the move of the factory from China to Vietnam was a cost saving exercise.......was it more than one operational site consolidated into one plant???

As above comments, now is not the time to worry about this change of ownership. The time for concern will be if they make significant changes to the already in place warranty expiration dates, the (for us UK & EU owners) Portuguese service centre moving........, UK contact point changing from KeyMed in Essex........???

The value in any business to the likes of JIP does include the loyalty of the customer base.

When Konica Minolta went pop some good while ago, was it bought by Sony? and the excellent KM IBIS then started to appear in their cameras!

PS Olympus have typically been long winded with firmware updates.....as per there have been bursts of discussion "where is the awaited(?) E-M1X promised(?) firmware update with more AF tracking models.....". Surely firmware updates are lower cost development compared to hardware?

PPS if they have a promotional push to clear stocks.....might get an EE1 dot sight???

Last edited:
I doubt we'll see any great changes, other than more kit on the second hand market from the panickers. Hopefully now it's sorted Olly will finally upgrade their EVF (y). I just hope they don't go down the line of more plastic bodies like the EM5-III.

I surmise the move of the factory from China to Vietnam was a cost saving exercise.......was it more than one operational site consolidated into one plant???

As above comments, now is not the time to worry about this change of ownership. The time for concern will be if they make significant changes to the already in place warranty expiration dates, the (for us UK & EU owners) Portuguese service centre moving........, UK contact point changing from KeyMed in Essex........???

The value in any business to the likes of JIP does include the loyalty of the customer base.

When Konica Minolta went pop some good while ago, was it bought by Sony? and the excellent KM IBIS then started to appear in their cameras!

PS Olympus have typically been long winded with firmware updates.....as per there have been bursts of discussion "where is the awaited(?) E-M1X promised(?) firmware update with more AF tracking models.....". Surely firmware updates are lower cost development compared to hardware?

PPS if they have a promotional push to clear stocks.....might get an EE1 dot sight???
The EE1 dot sight is a very handy little gadget and can be had quite resonably priced second hand.
Amazon are selling them brand new for £89 at the moment too.

Last edited:
lets put it in perspective ,they are going to be taken over not closing down . then look at the alternatives if we wish to carry on with our hobby , canon and nikon both way behind in the mirrorless market m both systems need heavy and expensive lenses to operate although nikon is slightly ahead with this .. Sony better A/F performance but again slightly heavier and more expensive lenses .and they seem to suffer from multitudes of hardware updates leaving you wondering what fits what IF at any time in the future I was forced to change thats probably the brand to go for though .

for now olympus will more than likely see me out although its going to make it hard to decide what to do .

my main reason for change was weight of gear plus focus and shooting speed . what a bloody anus horriblis year 2020 has been

lets put it in perspective ,they are going to be taken over not closing down . then look at the alternatives if we wish to carry on with our hobby , canon and nikon both way behind in the mirrorless market m both systems need heavy and expensive lenses to operate although nikon is slightly ahead with this .. Sony better A/F performance but again slightly heavier and more expensive lenses .and they seem to suffer from multitudes of hardware updates leaving you wondering what fits what IF at any time in the future I was forced to change thats probably the brand to go for though .

for now olympus will more than likely see me out although its going to make it hard to decide what to do .

my main reason for change was weight of gear plus focus and shooting speed . what a bloody anus horriblis year 2020 has been

I'm sure that'll come as news to some, me included. Can you give some examples of hardware updates that have caused problems? AFAIK all the lenses I have that'll work on my 1st generation A7 will work on the latest A7x too.

At the moment it's just a 'Memorandum Of Understanding' commitment to discussion and not signed off yet - That doesn't mean that it won't happen, my guess is that it will happen once all the details are agreed so they can be signed off. Statement from Olympus :

https://www.olympus-global.com/news/2020/nr01695.html

Should I have stayed with Canon? I hope not because I love my Olympus gear!

At the moment it's just a 'Memorandum Of Understanding' commitment to discussion and not signed off yet - That doesn't mean that it won't happen, my guess is that it will happen once all the details are agreed so they can be signed off. Statement from Olympus :

https://www.olympus-global.com/news/2020/nr01695.html

Should I have stayed with Canon? I hope not because I love my Olympus gear!
I wouldn’t be too concerned tbh. Take a look at Sony, they bought Konica Minolta and are now making class leading mirrorless gear (y)

The statement is of little to no concern to me. I am sticking with Olympus and the only lens I'm looking to get at the moment is the Panasonic 100-400mm so if anyone is panicking and looking to offload one cheap I'll do you the honour and help you out [emoji4].
I'll be in the queue behind you :D

Quite depressing news, but I am heartened that that they mention preserving the legacy of the brand.

On the plus side I have managed to get a 1-1 with an Olympus guru on Tuesday :) They must be worried about their futures too.

I'm sure that'll come as news to some, me included. Can you give some examples of hardware updates that have caused problems? AFAIK all the lenses I have that'll work on my 1st generation A7 will work on the latest A7x too.
no idea really ,just every time I have looked its very confusing

I’m not aware of any hardware or firmware updates that’s caused issues with Sony tbh o_O

If you're genuinely interested maybe ask a question in the Sony thread as there are people there who've used just about everything.

I don't use just about everything. I only use a 1st generation body, some modern AF and MF lenses and a host of film era lenses via adapters so any issues may have passed me by and that may explain why I'm baffled by your comment and have never read a similar criticism.

The Sony system is simpler than some others as at least every mirrorless lens will fit any APS-C or FF mirrorless body and that's certainly not the case for other systems (I'm looking at you, Canon :D)

Quite depressing news, but I am heartened that that they mention preserving the legacy of the brand.

On the plus side I have managed to get a 1-1 with an Olympus guru on Tuesday :) They must be worried about their futures too.

Was on an Olympus UK Zoom this morning as the news broke - their online output has been exceptional throughout lockdown. \so impressed with the staff and support that I'm now 100% Oly user.

Well, I still have my olly gear and it works perfectly, so until it stops I wont worry about the company goings on too much. We are living in very changable times at present. Changes are sometimes good and there is always Panasonic/Sony to fall back on. I have been looking at the Sony A6000 range lately funnily enough.

I wouldn’t be too concerned tbh. Take a look at Sony, they bought Konica Minolta and are now making class leading mirrorless gear (y)

.... Yes and the bottom line is that as long as my Olympus carries on working or, in the worst case is repairable, then it doesn't matter because I still have an excellent camera system to carry on shooting with.

Slide 2.png

Yes, I know I have mispelt 'Ansel' but correcting it would mean me recreating my whole graphic.

the announcement was bound to cause a stir ..but who cares as robin says as long as stuff keeps going why worry . .... I fact I have just taken a gamble on a 300mm f4.5 OM fit manual focus lens , extremely pleased with it so far be good for the long range waders in winter with the 2x tc I just bought to that will give a FF equiv.. of 1200mm .. a real minty lens for sub £100 totally unmarked body and clean clear glass with original leather glass and a Hoya u/v filter to first test shots in the garden this morning below. both hand held love this ibis
300mm test 1 by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

test 2 by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Last edited:
Just been reading more into it, looks like JIP are just an interim funder and there’s no final buyer at the moment although are hoping for something concrete by September. That’s more worrying if correct so fingers crossed they find someone good to take them on (y)

Just been reading more into it, looks like JIP are just an interim funder and there’s no final buyer at the moment although are hoping for something concrete by September. That’s more worrying if correct so fingers crossed they find someone good to take them on (y)

JIP are likely to re-work Olympus into something more saleable though, and that usually means a smaller leaner company with profitable products, as they will want to get the best price. Expect to see significant loss making lines disappear.

I'm reading this differently, but maybe wrongly. It reads to me like the proposal is for Olympus and JIC to jointly own a new company that will maintain the Olympus brand and R&D.

There are phrases like "operating the business with JIP" and "By adding support from JIP"

And then

"Olympus’s Imaging business will be transferred to the NewCo by way of company split or otherwise, and then, (ii) shares in the NewCo will be transferred to a new company to be established by JIP."

That is "Shares in", suggesting not all the shares will be transferred.

But happy to have it explained why everyone but me seems to think Olympus is selling off the imaging division, rather than restructuring it with a new partner.

I'm reading this differently, but maybe wrongly. It reads to me like the proposal is for Olympus and JIC to jointly own a new company that will maintain the Olympus brand and R&D.

There are phrases like "operating the business with JIP" and "By adding support from JIP"

And then

"Olympus’s Imaging business will be transferred to the NewCo by way of company split or otherwise, and then, (ii) shares in the NewCo will be transferred to a new company to be established by JIP."

But happy to have it explained why everyone but me seems to think Olympus is selling off the imaging division, rather than restructuring it with a new partner.
I agree with your way of putting it graham .

And then

TBH I was just reading it on the news and they made no mention of this, but what you've said sounds far more positive (y)

I hope you are right, myotis. I also hope the lovely folk at Olympus in the UK keep their jobs as they have been working their socks off - I had a 1-to-1 on a Saturday with Jez about custom modes. - during this lockdown. All those denials... ah well. My Mk3 is very nice; would I have bought it had I known about this? Probably not but I have it now so fingers crossed.

Back