Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Another piece from AP about Olympus -

just another copy writers personal view of things . my personal view as a user is much ado about nothing . I am watching the selling places on Facebook,e/bay, forums etc and I do not see ANY upsurge in users rushing to sell there gear ,prices are holding up well to on any used equipment that is for sale . which means like me the initial shock factor has faded and after viewing the alternatives out there the downsides of switching are apparent i.e cost/weight/functions/A/F .. and most owners are taking a sit back and see what occurs attitude .

The lens i was waiting for 150/400 has just taken too long to come and given this move I no longer think I would want to lay out £5000/£6000 on it and hope the new take over keeps things going and brings out new / better cameras it's just a bit to much of a risk to me and in part is why iv sold all my Olympus kit

Technology moves on and maybe a EM1X mkII with new sensor will come out but that seems to be quite a way off if it does I will take another look thats for sure.

Rob.

current gear line up
omd1-mk2 + PL100-400
old-em1 + mmf3+ ec14+ 50-200 swd
olympus 45mm f1.8
olympus four thirds 14-42 f3.5
300mm f4.5 o.m mount
beschoi 0m-m4/3 adaptor
olympus ex-25 tube
komura telemore 2xtc o.m mount
k.f concept m42-mft adaptor
gear list by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Last edited:
current gear line up
omd1-mk2 + PL100-400
olympus 45mm f1.8
300mm f4.5 o.m mount
beschoi 0m-m4/3 adaptor
olympus ex-25 tube
That's a great set up. I was also keeping an eye and haven't found evidence of an exodus. I am in the fortunate position of having a Canon system as well. Should Olympus vanish and this all be bad news, I won't be switching to a different mirrorless set up; I look after my kit so hope that it will serve me for sometime.... I researched recently and found that Sony GM lenses were just as heavy [if not heavier] and just as expensive [and more in some cases]... to be fair, if 10 - 15 years ago, I had been told that I would have the equipment that I have, I wouldn't have believed it. I suspect, I don't really need to buy anything else ever again - but where's the fun in that!? :clap:

current gear line up
omd1-mk2 + PL100-400
olympus 45mm f1.8
300mm f4.5 o.m mount
beschoi 0m-m4/3 adaptor
olympus ex-25 tube
Impressive setup Jeff, you don't want to loan me the 100-400 do you? You won't miss it for a few weeks with all that gear :LOL::LOL::LOL:

That's a great set up. I was also keeping an eye and haven't found evidence of an exodus. I am in the fortunate position of having a Canon system as well. Should Olympus vanish and this all be bad news, I won't be switching to a different mirrorless set up; I look after my kit so hope that it will serve me for sometime.... I researched recently and found that Sony GM lenses were just as heavy [if not heavier] and just as expensive [and more in some cases]... to be fair, if 10 - 15 years ago, I had been told that I would have the equipment that I have, I wouldn't have believed it. I suspect, I don't really need to buy anything else ever again - but where's the fun in that!? :clap:

Agree with you Chipper I moved to Olympus lock stock and all in January this year from Canon am pleased I did after lugging my Sigma 150-600 and 1D Mark 3 around and knackering my back it was time to move. Did look at Canon mirror less first but didn't like what was on offer Zero regrets moving to Olympus great system I have finally sorted my lens line up out think this set up will see me out before the grim reaper comes calling!!!

Olympus OMD E M1 mark 2
Olympus 60 mm Macro
Panasonic 8-18 mm (tough one this one nearly got the Olympus 7-14 but the additional filter adaption costs put me off)
Olympus 12-100 mm
Olympus 40-150 Pro
Olympus 300 mm Pro
1.4 and 2.0 TC converters

Later this year will add a second body not sure if it will be a Mark 3 or the EM1X at the moment All systems have plus and minus points its down to personal choice as to what you are prepared to compromise over agree with your comment wheres the fun in not buying a odd addition or two mine might be the Olympus 17 mm in some flavour

Impressive setup Jeff, you don't want to loan me the 100-400 do you? You won't miss it for a few weeks with all that gear :LOL::LOL::LOL:
afraid not Steve , now waiting on a mf1-om adaptor so I can use the ec1.4 with the 300mm lens o.k manual focus but i'm hoping it will help with distant shore birds ..thats what I like about this gear the flexibility between new/previous four thirds lenses/and old o.m lenses saying that you can get adaptors for anything as in my m42 thread one ,sorry I sold my Nikon to MFT one to a mate

and if I'm totally honest the wide angle and 45mm lenses have been on camera ,tested and never yet used in anger

also note all three big lenses are fitted with arca type plates in case I ever need to use the tripod

Last edited:
I watched an Olympus live event on facebook today (after the event), and discovered it IS possible to use flash with silent shutter - you just have to enable it! Thought it was worth sharing.
I also didn't realise that you had to enable Hi-Res mode before it will show as an option in the no. of frames setting. Mine seems to have been set to enable by default - not that I've used it yet.

On the Pen F it's camera menu 2 > anti-shock/silent > silent mode settings > Flash mode allow

Disappointingly there's no option on my E-M10ii. under Camera Menu 2 for flash.
I rarely use flash, so I just have to remember to switch to antishock when I need to use it as a fill-in etc.

Disappointingly there's no option on my E-M10ii. under Camera Menu 2 for flash.
I rarely use flash, so I just have to remember to switch to antishock when I need to use it as a fill-in etc.
Oh that's a shame. It isn't actually a menu item for flash. The menu item is anti shock/silent, then 'silent mode' for me. I did put the steps in, but may well be different on the OM10ii.

I sold all my Nikon kit. Now I cant decide between M1 iii or M1X. Any suggestions please? Wildlife generally.
Not an easy one this as the bif firmware (if it comes ) is for the EM1X first but of cause we don't know if it will work well either .

Oh that's a shame. It isn't actually a menu item for flash. The menu item is anti shock/silent, then 'silent mode' for me. I did put the steps in, but may well be different on the OM10ii.
It's not the end of the world - under silent mode I just off have Off or a submenu to choose a delay time.
I'd always fancied the PEN-F but it's hard to justify over the M10ii - (ironically) one thing I would miss about the M10ii is the pop up flash.
On the odd occasion when I'm taking a family snapshot against a bright background or sunset - being able to quickly fill in is really helpful - assuming I remember to switch to anti-shock over silent :) not stand there being puzzled as to why the flash won't fire :)
I had the little hotshoe flash for my E-PL5 - I carried it around all the time but doubt I fired it more than a handful of times.

But he/she has a brown beak which should mean it's this year's bird.
Some females always have brown upper and lower, especially on the tips. Some have muted orange/yellow. She could be last years, who knows. The eye ring isn't yellow in fledgling. Males have the bright yellow beak that is dark as a juvenile. She's got young somewhere.

I've mulled over Olympus's predicament over the past two weeks and come to the conclusion I don't care. Not in a petulant way, I'm content with the kit and having spent the last two years trying to master it I am finally getting there.

Im pretty much of the same persuasion to be honest, the news doesn't bother me, in fact I really fancy having a go at some proper night / astro stuff with a star tracker etc but my big "bottleneck" is actually the EM1 (mark1) noise for these types of shots so Im exploring upgrading to an EM1 mark 2 at the moment as the noise handlings supposed to be a hell of a lot better.

Im pretty much of the same persuasion to be honest, the news doesn't bother me, in fact I really fancy having a go at some proper night / astro stuff with a star tracker etc but my big "bottleneck" is actually the EM1 (mark1) noise for these types of shots so Im exploring upgrading to an EM1 mark 2 at the moment as the noise handlings supposed to be a hell of a lot better.
Having both I can assure you that there’s virtually nothing in it . You would be far better off in investing in topaz de.noise AI I personally have no problem processing Cropped files at up 6400 iso and theres plenty of examples further back in this thread

Having both I can assure you that there’s virtually nothing in it . You would be far better off in investing in topaz de.noise AI I personally have no problem processing Cropped files at up 6400 iso and theres plenty of examples further back in this thread
Odd, I saw a noticeable difference in noise between the mark 1 and mark 2 tbh, also with long exposure the mark 1 had bad hot spots from my experience (y)

Odd, I saw a noticeable difference in noise between the mark 1 and mark 2 tbh, also with long exposure the mark 1 had bad hot spots from my experience (y)
I don’t do long exposure so you may be right ,also this mk1 is the second one I have owned and is a vast improvement over the previous one . Maybe a newer / later version . I can only base statements on my own findings and usage

I don’t do long exposure so you may be right ,also this mk1 is the second one I have owned and is a vast improvement over the previous one . Maybe a newer / later version . I can only base statements on my own findings and usage

Yes, the mark 1 is well known for not being great noise wise on long exposures vs the mark 2 unfortunately. Just a matter of finding one at a good price now. I keep looking at Great Western Cameras on ebay that seems to regularly sell them at £550 refurbished including a 90 day warranty.

Yes, the mark 1 is well known for not being great noise wise on long exposures vs the mark 2 unfortunately. Just a matter of finding one at a good price now. I keep looking at Great Western Cameras on ebay that seems to regularly sell them at £550 refurbished including a 90 day warranty.

Couple of Mark 2 + 8mm FE from earlier in lockdown, no problem for me

nightscape-10-Min Horizon Noise stacked in SLS by Justyn Crane, on Flickr

P3250170 by Justyn Crane, on Flickr

Donnie if you do not mind grey E global central have the Mark 2 new for £639

Donnie if you do not mind grey E global central have the Mark 2 new for £639

:oops: :$ :oops: :$ I'd not considered grey to be honest but that is a great price! I have no idea if they are a good firm to deal with though or how the whole grey thing works so may have to do some research on them / it

Oh dear, it doesn't take long to see that eglobal have a horrifying amount of negative reviews and discussions about their lack of refunds and customer support. I'll be steering clear of them I think, just not worth it.
I wouldn't touch e-global. E-infinity have it for £699 but out of stock, and HDEW have it for £769.

Back