Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I have got a few trips coming up in August so have placed a wanted for a Samyang 7.5 FE and P12-32, both in black

Just in case people don't frequent the "wanteds" and they have something they're looking to get rid of..

That’s the one - it’s either Southsea or Brighton for us as they‘re equidistant

HEADS-UP ALERT ON OLYMPUS MOUNTS :

In short, the 4 tiny screws retaining the metal mount on the camera side with electronic contacts can become loose for no obvious reason.

To put my case of this happening in context, it happened to my Olympus Pro MC-14 Teleconverter while mounted on an ED 300mm F/4 Pro on an E-M1X and I discovered it when I noticed looseness on the body to the extent of slight movement - 3 of the 4 screws were half out! Captured images were very unexpectedly not affected probably because of how both my hands support the combo when shooting.

As many of you already know (but cannot be expected to remember!) I shoot with two identical M1X bodies, one usually/mostly with the MC-14 + 300mm combo and the other body with the MC-20 + 40-150mm (Olympus Pro) combo. I rarely shoot the 300mm without the MC-14 because for wildlife it suits me extremely well, especially if I have my Olympus-Canon Macro rig on the second M1X body ready for action. As an aside, I recently discovered that wildlife professional and Olympus Visionary Brooke Bartleson regularly shoots with the same lens+MC combos.

In the field I don't use a camera body strap (except on my handheld macro rig) but for hands-free I suspend my 300mm + M1X by an Acratech Arca-Swiss clamp onto the lens foot, via a Peak Design strap across my chest but unclamp when shooting for more freedom of movement. When shooting handheld I always support the rig with the lens foot in my left hand. I shoot a lot with this lens combo, probably about 500 shots a week on average and at home the combo lives on a gimbal pod in my open window 'kitchen hide' overlooking my wildlife garden.

I use but don't abuse my camera gear. It is a very serious hobby, usually practised daily.

So, some research on the hyperinterwebbynet has thrown up the fact that this loose screw mount issue is not that uncommon :

Unlike someone has reported doing in that dpreview thread, I will NOT be using any superglue to keep the screws tight !!! < What if one day a repairer needs access to the internals!? Duh!!

I recommend checking all your mount screws, especially if you shoot with heavier Olympus guns.

Last edited:
Surfing pix don't seem to be that popular if the number of Likes received on the internet are anything to go by, but here goes anyway. The surfers like my pics and so that's the most important (as well myself liking my own pix!).

RACING TO REACH THE GREEN DOOR! by Robin Procter, on Flickr

HEADS-UP ALERT ON OLYMPUS MOUNTS :

In short, the 4 tiny screws retaining the metal mount on the camera side with electronic contacts can become loose for no obvious reason.

To put my case of this happening in context, it happened to my Olympus Pro MC-14 Teleconverter while mounted on an ED 300mm F/4 Pro on an E-M1X and I discovered it when I noticed looseness on the body to the extent of slight movement - 3 of the 4 screws were half out! Captured images were very unexpectedly not affected probably because of how both my hands support the combo when shooting.

As many of you already know (but cannot be expected to remember!) I shoot with two identical M1X bodies, one usually/mostly with the MC-14 + 300mm combo and the other body with the MC-20 + 40-150mm (Olympus Pro) combo. I rarely shoot the 300mm without the MC-14 because for wildlife it suits me extremely well, especially if I have my Olympus-Canon Macro rig on the second M1X body ready for action. As an aside, I recently discovered that wildlife professional and Olympus Visionary Brooke Bartleson regularly shoots with the same lens+MC combos.

In the field I don't use a camera body strap (except on my handheld macro rig) but for hands-free I suspend my 300mm + M1X by an Acratech Arca-Swiss clamp onto the lens foot, via a Peak Design strap across my chest but unclamp when shooting for more freedom of movement. When shooting handheld I always support the rig with the lens foot in my left hand. I shoot a lot with this lens combo, probably about 500 shots a week on average and at home the combo lives on a gimbal pod in my open window 'kitchen hide' overlooking my wildlife garden.

I use but don't abuse my camera gear. It is a very serious hobby, usually practised daily.

So, some research on the hyperinterwebbynet has thrown up the fact that this loose screw mount issue is not that uncommon :

Unlike someone has reported doing in that dpreview thread, I will NOT be using any superglue to keep the screws tight !!! < What if one day a repairer needs access to the internals!? Duh!!

I recommend checking all your mount screws, especially if you shoot with heavier Olympus guns.

Why not use threadlocker, something like Loctite Blue?
That ensures they stay done up, but can be disassembled using using hand tools

Why not use threadlocker, something like Loctite Blue?
That ensures they stay done up, but can be disassembled using using hand tools

.... Yes, that would work. I used Loctite Blue to fix tiny screws on the lens foot of a Canon EF 100-400mm L II and it lasted (lens now sold).

Your really mastering that gear now Steve

My Gast is Flabbered

I bought an Olympus 300mm f4 from Panamoz and the rear collar fell off.

because it was not bought in the UK it is not covered by a UK warranty - lucky for me Panamoz paid for the £206 Oloympus want to fix it.

So off it goes to Olympus to be fixed. it seemed to take ages to get to the repair centre and after phoning Olympus today I now know why.

So are you still with me?

It is on its way back from the Olympus repair centre in

Origin Service Area: LISBON - TORRE DE VILELA - PORTUGAL

My Gast is Flabbered

because it was not bought in the UK it is not covered by a UK warranty - lucky for me Panamoz paid for the £206 Oloympus want to fix it.

So off it goes to Olympus to be fixed. it seemed to take ages to get to the repair centre and after phoning Olympus today I now know why.

thats the European repair centre ALL olympus repairs go there !!! they are usually very good and the turn round time is very quick usually about 10 days from sending to return and it will come back like new

My Gast is Flabbered

The fact that Olympus are accepting it for repair infers a failure........but what is the rear collar???

If you mean the tripod collar......well that is supposed to be user removable but I surmise you know that ;)

Do you mean the lens' lens mount bayonet "ring"???

Whatever it is that has failed, hopefully back soon as possible :)

The fact that Olympus are accepting it for repair infers a failure........but what is the rear collar???

If you mean the tripod collar......well that is supposed to be user removable but I surmise you know that ;)

Do you mean the lens' lens mount bayonet "ring"???

Whatever it is that has failed, hopefully back soon as possible :)

The Bit where the red alingnment dot goes - looks like the red dot is also a retaining pin, but it fell out and was loose when I tried it back in the hole,

IMG_1302c.jpgIMG_1303c.jpg

The Bit where the red alingnment dot goes - looks like the red dot is also a retaining pin, but it fell out and was loose when I tried it back in the hole,

View attachment 287990View attachment 287991

Thanks for the pictures. Surely a very unusual 'failure'....though not (fingers crossed) caused by some more significant underlying issue. I also surmise ~ a bread & butter fix for the skilled technicians :)

Well I've joined the Olympus 50-200mm club today, the lens arrived at lunchtime and externally, looks as if it has been scarcely used. It's the SWM version which focused quite respectably on my EM1.1, coupled with the MMF-3 purchased sometime ago. I look forward to testing it out as soon as possible.

I see Olympus made a case for this lens (LSH-1220). Can anybody offer an opinion on this case?

Well I've joined the Olympus 50-200mm club today, the lens arrived at lunchtime and externally, looks as if it has been scarcely used. It's the SWM version which focused quite respectably on my EM1.1, coupled with the MMF-3 purchased sometime ago. I look forward to testing it out as soon as possible.

I see Olympus made a case for this lens (LSH-1220). Can anybody offer an opinion on this case?
your going to love the lenses it’s obviously a bit slower than a MFT one but your talking milliseconds and as sharp as occams razor ..it also works extremely well with a EC14 tc ,they do come up at times and give a native 283mm focal length with no difference in focus speed or sharpness
The case is made for that lens mine came with it but I never use it as the lens Is usually on one of my bodies .. I tend to not use the heavy lens hood either preferring a folding rubber screw in one .

Last edited:
currently debating lenses and choices with a couple of forthcoming holidays (covid permitting) I have available at the moment a PL100-400 , a Olympus 50-200SWD +adaptor +1.4 tc good rig but heavy-ish , a 45mm f1.8 mft, those do 75% of my needs in various combos with two bodies , but obviously lacking at the wide angle end .

dont want to spend loads on something that will get extremely little use i.e the 45 mm has been used once so at the moment I'm looking at a 12-50 f3.5 . . was also looking at the 12-40 pancake but they appear to have problems ,seen a lot spares or repairs .

any other suggestions want to keep size and weight down for flying

currently debating lenses and choices with a couple of forthcoming holidays (covid permitting) I have available at the moment a PL100-400 , a Olympus 50-200SWD +adaptor +1.4 tc good rig but heavy-ish , a 45mm f1.8 mft, those do 75% of my needs in various combos with two bodies , but obviously lacking at the wide angle end .

dont want to spend loads on something that will get extremely little use i.e the 45 mm has been used once so at the moment I'm looking at a 12-50 f3.5 . . was also looking at the 12-40 pancake but they appear to have problems ,seen a lot spares or repairs .

any other suggestions want to keep size and weight down for flying

Jeff
I like the 14-42 EZ pancake myself the 12-50 is light I just sold my 12-50

Standard zooms by Alf Branch, on Flickr

The 14-42 is a versatile lens and has a minimum focus of 20cm

Orange tip by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Keswick afternoon by Alf Branch, on Flickr

I have had the 14-42mm for 5 years here is shot from 2015 on my E-M5 mki handheld

the-aproaching-sea by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Last edited:
I'd recommend the 14-42 EZ for minimum size and weight. I've had mine years and it's been fine (cross fingers)

There's also a Panasonic 12-32 pancake which is supposed to be an unrated lens for similar money.

I also have the Olympus 14-42 II R - £70 will get you one from MBP. I can't seen any significant difference from the EZ in output, it's very light but a bit bigger.
The manual collapse/extend is a drawback but the manual zoom is plus and perhaps less to go wrong.

I got the Olympus 12-40 f2.8 PRO a while back used - its brilliant but its neither cheap nor light.

Thanks for the comments so far lads ,will look into it further ,I will be buying used and price does come into it as well as weight . Performance as shown by Alf looks good from either . Wide angles are not going to be used much by me but will be usefull

Nice set ,your not to far from me I see about ten miles

Been practising with 1:1 Macro, using EM5.3 with 60mm, manual focus & handheld focus stacking. I do also have a couple of question bellow to at the bottom if that okay :)

P7290414stacked.jpg

Q1) In relation to the actual image, I only did some light processing in Lightroom Classic as I didn't think the image needed much doing, however the only thing I would have liked to do and couldn't work out the best way to do it; was how best to make the eyes look more rounded, as at the moment the image shows the eyes with white highlighted areas at the top & would have liked them to look more rounded and natural plus a bit of extra colour? Hope you can help :)

Q2) This is forum related & future. What export setting should I use when exporting raw files from LR to jpeg so that they are suitable for upload on here for example as I wanted to upload some more examples to this post of other images i took, but it said that after this one image I couldn't upload any more due to size? How should I export & upload images to this in the future?

Many thanks again everyone, very much appreciated :)

Back