Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

super Steve

easily solved just do a search on amazon or e.bay for foldable rubber lens HOOD , and put in your filter size on search criteria ( size is on rear of lens cap) lots available .. will try to find a linky thingy
here ya go quiet expensive that one but there's cheaper on there one for £3.82 at the moment

Thank you

That happened to mine within weeks of purchase. I reported it to Olympus expecting them to simply(?) send me one but no, I had to make a warranty claim.

So off all the parts went in a bag,.............and it was sent to their Portuguese service centre and repaired.

I have since gotten budget ones, twice as the JJC ones were a poor fit.......I now have a couple Polaroid brand ones that fit just fine.

Thank you

I like those.
We are having a week away staying just north of York and we fancy a day at the coast. Was it very busy?
We didn't go to any of the resorts, I'm certain they were busy, but went to Danes Dyke and then on to Bempton. I've seen Bempton busier but it wasnt too bad.

I am not aware of Danes Dyke. Is it good? What type of bird life/flora?
Not really , your better off going to north landing and walking round the cliff tops towards flambough head ,loads of puffins bred in the crevices

As @the black fox says, Danes Dyke is not so good for the sea birds, but it has a local Nature Reserve and is is a Scheduled Ancient Monument of national importance it is likely a defensive structure built in the middle to late Bronze Age. It has a woodlands that leads down to a sandy beach.

As @the black fox says, Danes Dyke is not so good for the sea birds, but it has a local Nature Reserve and is is a Scheduled Ancient Monument of national importance it is likely a defensive structure built in the middle to late Bronze Age. It has a woodlands that leads down to a sandy beach.

Thanks. Probably worth a trip, particularly if we can get a fish supper on the way home. Fountains Abbey tomorrow

Thanks. Probably worth a trip, particularly if we can get a fish supper on the way home. Fountains Abbey tomorrow
Fountains abbey is very photogenic and has beautiful grounds and Studley Royal deer park, you’ll have a great day.

had a hours brush up b.i.f session today down the estuary , gone rusty over lockdown so heres a starter ... just gulls in flight today but pleased with the results

outta the gully by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Here is a review of the just released Olympus 100-400mm.

Bigger and heavier than I was hoping for (but that was already known), but cheaper than expected with preorder price of just over £1000.

That’s the best in depth review I have read/ watched so far this morning ,shows his full understanding of all the functions , answers all the questions that were in the back of my mind . Now on my shopping list

That’s the best in depth review I have read/ watched so far this morning ,shows his full understanding of all the functions , answers all the questions that were in the back of my mind . Now on my shopping list

As Petr is a full time wildlife photographer, I guess he is looking at it in the same way as many users on this forum are looking at it.

After reading the above review the Olympus is ahead on most counts ,there have always been cross manufactures issues with the panasonic nothing you can’t get around ,but niggles none the less Mostly to do with functions

Size and weight favour the panasonic.

Had a look at the samples up on the net and won't be changing my panasonic in just yet, the bigest bonus I think with the Olympus is the ability to use the tele converters with it.

The OM-D E-M10 Mk IV is up on the Olympus site, along with promo for the 100-400

£699 for the body £799 for the pancake kit

Along with the manual

Edit - That was all there in mark iii
Looks like it gets Focus stacking - but only in AP mode or close up SCN mode
HDR and AE bracketing appear to be only there in AP mode too.

Edit 2 - They've FINALLY added sweep Panorama!

Some stuff about wireless flash control too - but as I don't use flash kit I'm not sure what they removed from the iii that was present in my ii

USB charging, better face/eye AF and a flip down screen aren't worth £700 to me :(

Last edited:
Had a look at the samples up on the net and won't be changing my panasonic in just yet, the bigest bonus I think with the Olympus is the ability to use the tele converters with it.
I don't think I would change if I had the PL 100-400, they seem very comparable image wise, but when I eventually buy my first superzoom it will be the Oly 100-400 (y)

I don't think I would change if I had the PL 100-400, they seem very comparable image wise, but when I eventually buy my first superzoom it will be the Oly 100-400 (y)
I agree with you totally Steve.(y)

I've been out the last couple of mornings and am not quite sure what avian life I caught, but I'm sensing the word Warbler....
_8030086 by Justyn Crane, on Flickr

_8030094 by Justyn Crane, on Flickr

_8040126 by Justyn Crane, on Flickr

_8040140 by Justyn Crane, on Flickr

_8040146 by Justyn Crane, on Flickr

Yes, they look like warblers of various types with the exception of no 3, which looks more like a chat to me. I'm going to dip out of identifying them in any more detail though!

.... And even more important in my case, because I am often photographing surfers and can be outdoors from dawn til dusk targetting wildlife, is the Olympus weatherproofing etc when coupled with a M1X.

Also, I already have the Olympus MC-14 and MC-20 teleconverters. I would consider trading in my Olympus ED 300mm F/4 Pro for the new Olympus 100-400mm. I can live with its aperture differences - I'm totally used to F/5.6 and F/8 'limitations'.

.... And even more important in my case, because I am often photographing surfers and can be outdoors from dawn til dusk targetting wildlife, is the Olympus weatherproofing etc when coupled with a M1X.

Also, I already have the Olympus MC-14 and MC-20 teleconverters. I would consider trading in my Olympus ED 300mm F/4 Pro for the new Olympus 100-400mm. I can live with its aperture differences - I'm totally used to F/5.6 and F/8 'limitations'.
That weather sealing is also on quite few other bodies to robin ,+’s over the pl100-400 inc arca Type tripod mount , Ability to use t.c . Apparently sharper with a higher keeper rate, and unless I’m reading it wrong pro-cap low ability , plus more frame filling at the close range end . .. probably even more once you do the firmware updates ..
There is totally no doubt in my mind that Olympus to Olympus is superior

With a zoom range of 200 - 800 (equivalent) who needs a TC....?

.... With some wildlife you can never have too much reach and the flexibility of zoom is very valuable.

I currently shoot with an Olympus 40-150mm + MC-20 (160 - 600mm equivalent) and a 300mm + MC-14 (840mm equivalent) on my second body when I'm wanting reach. Or I can mount my MC-20 on my 300mm and get a 1200mm equivalent.

This new Olympus 100-400mm would be lighter weight and cheaper than the forthcoming 150-400mm+1.25x. For my purposes it sounds very attractive indeed.

Last edited:
That weather sealing is also on quite few other bodies to robin ,+’s over the pl100-400 inc arca Type tripod mount , Ability to use t.c . Apparently sharper with a higher keeper rate, and unless I’m reading it wrong pro-cap low ability , plus more frame filling at the close range end . .. probably even more once you do the firmware updates ..
There is totally no doubt in my mind that Olympus to Olympus is superior
To sing the Panny up it is brighter through the range upto 400mm where they both share f6.3, lighter, smaller and is metal construction. It is early day but I will watch with interest, as for keepers I get a pretty high keeper rate from my Panny and as sharp as I would expect to see so won't be ditching it just yet for a built in tripod mount. ;) It has put the cat amongst the pigeons though and I am waiting to see just how it cuts on here with people that do photography.

Back