Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Could’ve done with a CPL but it’s only with the p12-32 and has a low explore position today

Port Isaac by damianmkv, on Flickr

hopefully the new lens will perform better all the reviews look that way . the PLis a sharp lens but does need to be stopped down to attain its best . hence higher i.s.o values ..if the new one is sharp at f6.3 then it will help in that

.... All the reviews I have read/watched so far have either said that the lens is sharp at F/6.3 throughout the zoom range or they have not highlit or mentioned it as an issue.

I spoke to someone on the phone this morning who had one in her hand and she answered a question I had about AF/MF. Unlike the Olympus Pro lenses which have an AF/MF clutch, but which allow you to adjust the focus manually even when still remaining in AF mode, thereby allowing you to use Focus Peaking for finer adjustment via the viewfinder, the new 100-400mm does not have this feature and you have to use the AF/MF switch on the lens barrel.

However, the AF/MF switch is large and well positioned and so this should not be a deal breaker.

So far all the reviews I've seen have been by Olympus affiliated photographers (eg the one above). Why not wait until it is available to objective reviewers and the general public before deciding to hand over any cash?

.... Why not wait? - Very simple in my case:

1) - Life is not a rehearsal and I am 73yo.
2) - I have specific uses for the 100-400mm zoom range and asap.
3) - I have enough experience of shooting with modern Olympus lenses to have faith.
4) - I have yet to read or watch any reviews* which identify limitations which would be a deal breaker.
5) - In the unlikely event I am not satisfied I am able to return the lens within 30 days and be refunded in full with no questions asked.

* I consider that some of the reviews I have watched are objective - Robin Wong for example but also others.

For me personally it's a no-brainer and I am very impatient to get hold of this lens.

But I do understand you and others not thinking the same way as I do.

As a user of the Panasonic equivalent I would want to be absolutely certain before buying.

It's all very well for Olympus to flood the internet with friendly reviews but how far can you trust them?

.... As a Panasonic equivalent user of course you would want to be more certain in your own mind. However, I think I am correct in saying that Panasonic equivalent shooter @the black fox Jeff seems quite certain, but we are all different.

Your words sound as if you do not trust Olympus. Or do you perhaps not trust any camera manufacturer?

But as you already have the Panasonic equivalent 100-400mm then of course you think it makes sense for you to wait. You posted the question to everyone here why wait and without saying you shoot the Panasonic equivalent and I answered with reasons why I am not waiting. I have the Olympus 100-400mm on pre-order.

Three reviews which I assume are objective, in that the reviewers are not assocaited with Olympus.
They do not all agree on the merits or otherwise of the lens.
The AP reviewer even considers the Panny to have significant advantages in some areas.

I've read those independent reviews and they pretty much sum up the lens for what it is, a mid-range mid-priced superzoom. Perfect for me but I'm surprised at @RedRobin being so keen. I think it might be a step backwards for him.

Have to say though the images on the Amateur Photographers review looked distinctly unimpressive and nothing like some of the stuff I've seen from the Olympus Ambassadors. Perhaps its photographers error?

Last edited:
The best of the two 100-400 will be down to the photographer, we know this but tend to get caught up in branding and hype

No, it's just that I can't remember reading an objective review yet of this lens. All manufacturers of everything would like to have countless friendly reviews of their products available but who would trust any of them!

.... I think you will find that there are plenty of unfriendly reviews of camera products out there as well as friendly. Read and watch as many or as few as you want and surely you can decide for yourself which aspects of each to trust or not to trust.

I have written many objective reviews about aftermarket performance car products over a number of years and there is always someone who doubts one's genuine reports about any features which merit being enthusiastic (or 'friendly') about.

As every photographer knows, there is no such thing as the perfect camera nor the perfect lens but if you want to be happy you need to trust your own judgements.

Besides, what is 'perfect' for one photographer is not perfect for another even when they are shooting the same subjects.

The best of the two 100-400 will be down to the photographer, we know this but tend to get caught up in branding and hype

.... Absolutely! I have 'invested' (not financially!!) in the Olympus brand and so far have found it to be a brand I can trust, just as I did and still would do for Canon. I have no experience of Panasonic and therefore cannot offer a meaningful opinion about their products.

Yes there is all the usual hype around marketing and it's all very competitive - A good thing for the consumer.

I have a very real need for a 100-400mm though and am 'invested' in Olympus.

Can anyone tell me if the Panasonic DMW TC14 1.4 Teleconverter is compatible with the Oly 40-150 f2.8 Pro please or do I have to get the MC14? I already have the Panny 1.4x and am contemplating purchasing the Oly lens hence my question.

Last edited:
Three reviews which I assume are objective, in that the reviewers are not assocaited with Olympus.
They do not all agree on the merits or otherwise of the lens.
The AP reviewer even considers the Panny to have significant advantages in some areas.

Thanks for posting those reviews, which I hadn't seen.. As expected, they do seem rather more objective than the Olympus Visionarys' efforts.

I've read those independent reviews and they pretty much sum up the lens for what it is, a mid-range mid-priced superzoom.

This does seem to sum the lens up pretty well. Not great, capable of excellent results but has weaknesses. A bit like my Panasonic, perhaps, or the Tamron 150-600 g1 I used with my Canon kit....... Had I been in the market for either this or the Panny I don't know which I would have chosen. The AP reviewer in particular pointed out the limitations of using all such lenses with such massive magnifications, especially when using TC's with them as well.

Can anyone tell me if the Panasonic DMW TC14 1.4 Teleconverter is compatible with the Oly 40-150 f2.8 Pro please or do I have to get the MC14? I already have the Panny 1.4x and am contemplating purchasing the Oly lens hence my question.

.... The only Teleconverters which will physically mount and work on the Olympus Pro telephoto lenses are the Olympus MC-14 and MC-20.

Thank you Robin, I just wondered given they are both m43 fit but i guess it’s the protrusion into the lens that’s the issue.

it seems that the London (strand ) branch of LCE have had a delivery as someone has posted on the olympus forum that theres is in the post , so we may well get some updates shortly .. my reasons for pre-ordering are t.c usage though I dont own any , pro-cap low . and focus stacking ability for close ups . its going mean a decent hit on my credit card so it had better be good ..and if some normal users post there findings before mine becomes available it may well swing things the other way . remains to be seen

As said before, I rarely use my Nikon kit now, but still do use it. It makes sense to sell that to fund the new lens but nothing seems to be selling at the moment. I need to sell it to raise the funds but I'm not prepared to sell cheap just to fund the new 100-400 lens. So if it doesn't sell then that's the decision made for me.
At this rate, by the time it does sell, plenty should have the new Oly lens and more feedback on it will be available.

Noted Chris I will probably take the part exchange route as the safest way at this moment in time . Stuff is selling well at the bottom end of the market ,high ticket items seem to take longer

Noted Chris I will probably take the part exchange route as the safest way at this moment in time . Stuff is selling well at the bottom end of the market ,high ticket items seem to take longer
Nothing is happening at all on the sales market and the MPB quote is ok but too low for me to consider. It's obviously a "want" rather than a "need" so I look forward to your feedback when yours arrives.
PLEASE don't sing it's praises too highly though or that want will quickly turn into a need [emoji41]

Last edited:
I've read those independent reviews and they pretty much sum up the lens for what it is, a mid-range mid-priced superzoom. Perfect for me but I'm surprised at @RedRobin being so keen. I think it might be a step backwards for him.

.... Are you thinking of it as a step backwards for me because I already have the Olympus ED 300mm F/4 Pro?

I photographed some of my surfer friends this afternoon and because of the rising tide and sea conditions they were at times very far out at sea. So instead of mainly using my Olympus 40-150mm + MC-20 I mostly shot on my 300mm + MC-14 which combo gave me more reach. But as anyone rode a wave in towards the shore I needed to pick up my other body with the shorter reach zoom lens mounted. Due to the strong winds it was much easier shooting from my tripod. Now if I had the 100-400mm today I would have had the flexibility and not have missed so many shots.

When shooting wildlife this year there have been several times when I have wanted the flexibility of zoom when using my 300mm prime and have been restricted by it.

Even when I bought the 300mm it was planned as only temporary until the 150-400mm+1.25x was available but now I know more detail about that forthcoming big Pro lens I feel that the 100-400mm will be more practical.

If someone is bothered to make scientific comparisons between the Olympus 300mm and 100-400mm I am sure they will conclude that the 300mm is a 'better' lens but everything is indicating that the 100-400mm is absolutely good enough for my purposes.

Also, contrary to RED35's review below that if you already have the 40-150mm plus Teleconverters (which I do) then you don't need the 100-400mm I absolutely do not agree and I most definitely have a use for both.

It keeps coming back to the same thing and that is simply that each of us have differing lens requirements and preferences.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIcH1U4vkis

Last edited:
Last edited:
gone very quite on here of late everyone waiting in anticipation for the new lens ?? , heres a couple from today anyway 50-200 SWD= 1.4 tc .. grey wagtail devouring a dragonfly .small pool in deep woodlands
wag & drag by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

lunch at the pool bar by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr
Lovely shots Jeff. I have moved to a new village so no Internet until the 1st Sept :( that's is why l haven't been on much, real pain using the phone. Oh I'm sticking with the panny 100-400 for the time being. ;)

I have a new one on order but will decide once it becomes available depending on circumstances

.... Are you thinking of it as a step backwards for me because I already have the Olympus ED 300mm F/4 Pro?

I photographed some of my surfer friends this afternoon and because of the rising tide and sea conditions they were at times very far out at sea. So instead of mainly using my Olympus 40-150mm + MC-20 I mostly shot on my 300mm + MC-14 which combo gave me more reach. But as anyone rode a wave in towards the shore I needed to pick up my other body with the shorter reach zoom lens mounted. Due to the strong winds it was much easier shooting from my tripod. Now if I had the 100-400mm today I would have had the flexibility and not have missed so many shots.

When shooting wildlife this year there have been several times when I have wanted the flexibility of zoom when using my 300mm prime and have been restricted by it.

Even when I bought the 300mm it was planned as only temporary until the 150-400mm+1.25x was available but now I know more detail about that forthcoming big Pro lens I feel that the 100-400mm will be more practical.

If someone is bothered to make scientific comparisons between the Olympus 300mm and 100-400mm I am sure they will conclude that the 300mm is a 'better' lens but everything is indicating that the 100-400mm is absolutely good enough for my purposes.

Also, contrary to RED35's review below that if you already have the 40-150mm plus Teleconverters (which I do) then you don't need the 100-400mm I absolutely do not agree and I most definitely have a use for both.

It keeps coming back to the same thing and that is simply that each of us have differing lens requirements and preferences.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIcH1U4vkis
Completely agree on the flexibility of the lens for surfers. I used my 300mm the other day and had to turn it to portrait mode so I didn't lose the sea. Also many of them will come too close for the framing. Sometimes I take two cameras, but you can lose the moment in the switching. I switch back to my Canon FF and 100-400 if I know there are a few hotshots about who will be close up, just so I know I have that flexibility.

Also, I agree that life is short and if you have the means, then why not buy it now?

200822154031-BCO30275.jpg

.... Nice one!!

As a petrolhead it may not surprise you to know that my eyes were taken straight to the cars and I didn't even register the view til I read your caption! Sorreee!

That Steel Grey was always my second choice to the Tornado Red.

I'm going to be a bit critical but personally am finding the sky / clouds just a wee bit too overprocessed / filtered.

Fair enough - whacked a preset on, downed the highlights in the sky and upped the saturation a little ( +5 ). It’s not a million miles away from how it was

Last edited:
Fair enough - whacked a preset on, downed the highlights in the sky and upped the saturation a little ( +5 ). It’s not a million miles away from how it was
I was reading article the other day the colour blue as a word apparently did not exist till a couple of hundred years ago ,its not mentioned anywhere in ancient writings , and it seems that everyones perception of colour is different ,which could account for variations in saturation of different folks photos . they did a experiment with a African tribe with a card with different shades of green and one blue dot and no one picked out blue as being the odd one out but every shade of green had its own name . strange but true

everyone else stopped taking pics ? anyway the collared doves have taken up residence in next doors eucalyptus tree and the female ? is sat on the start of the nest while the male builds it up round her
just moved in by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Back