Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

not the best weather conditions either but at least got a few shots

.... That soft even light is better for the subject in my opinion. It's a superb photograph!

one from last week godwit at framton marsh ,feeding the bottom .. taken with the 100-400 + 1.4 tc in poor light and a massive crop to
fishing by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

A very concise and informative report by Robin Wong about the future of Olympus with new owners JIP :

All is good! Nothing for photographers to fear!!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg4yHWyMYcg

Or is there a large element of wishful thinking on his behalf there? I watched the video yesterday and thought there may have been some grey areas that he was glossing over. I fear it's a case of "we won't know what will happen till it happens".

Topaz vs Neat Image comparison review.

A few posts back there was some discussion on Petr Bambousek and noise reduction software. He is a long time user of Neat Image, but had recently posted a review of Topaz. As an ex Nikon 1 user, I think I've bought every noise reduction tool available, including DXO to get DXO prime, and Neat Image has also been my preferred choice. I've never understood why Neat Image isn't more popular.

The linked review is from a long term Neat Image gives some direct comparisons (not with Olympus files) between Topaz and Neat Image which might be useful. Other than a brief comment, Petr didn't really make any comparisons.

Well l've taken the bait and the olly 100-400 arrives tomorrow just in time for the bad weather :(. I will be looking forward to putting it through its paces and comparing it against the panny 100-400 after all the favourable comments on here.

Topaz vs Neat Image comparison review.

A few posts back there was some discussion on Petr Bambousek and noise reduction software. He is a long time user of Neat Image, but had recently posted a review of Topaz. As an ex Nikon 1 user, I think I've bought every noise reduction tool available, including DXO to get DXO prime, and Neat Image has also been my preferred choice. I've never understood why Neat Image isn't more popular.

The linked review is from a long term Neat Image gives some direct comparisons (not with Olympus files) between Topaz and Neat Image which might be useful. Other than a brief comment, Petr didn't really make any comparisons.

Interesting read. I've not heard of Neat Image before.

Interesting read. I've not heard of Neat Image before.
Its very good, but it does need much more effort than DXO prime or Topaz Denoise AI to get good results. However, I have also found that it's easy to get strange artefacts with both DXO Prime and Topaz Denoise AI on some images that I don't get with Neat Image, or the noise tools in RawTherapee.

I'm not sure why Neat Image is so seldom mentioned or reviewed, its like Neofinder, which is an excellent DAM, but again hardly ever mentioned or reviewed.

Its very good, but it does need much more effort than DXO prime or Topaz Denoise AI to get good results. However, I have also found that it's easy to get strange artefacts with both DXO Prime and Topaz Denoise AI on some images that I don't get with Neat Image, or the noise tools in RawTherapee.

I'm not sure why Neat Image is so seldom mentioned or reviewed, its like Neofinder, which is an excellent DAM, but again hardly ever mentioned or reviewed.
I have Neat Image ver 7.6.0 pro (64bit) and used to use it all the time but since I got Topaz denoise ai it hasn't been used much. Comparing the two I found Neat Image didn't retain the detail as well as Topaz does so haven't renewed to the latest version of Neat image. I do find the two programs are quite a bit apart. I have also used Efex Define 2 which I found not quite as good as neat image.

I have Neat Image ver 7.6.0 pro (64bit) and used to use it all the time but since I got Topaz denoise ai it hasn't been used much. Comparing the two I found Neat Image didn't retain the detail as well as Topaz does so haven't renewed to the latest version of Neat image. I do find the two programs are quite a bit apart. I have also used Efex Define 2 which I found not quite as good as neat image.
I haven't used Topaz enough to have a solid opinion. So far at higher ISOs with very little tweaking I agree it gives results that really excellent (better than Neat Image), but I have also had some weird artefacting and haloing.

Although Neat Image needs a lot of work tweaking the sliders for every image, when I get it right, it also gives excellent results without artefacting, probably still not as much detail as Topaz when its working well. At the moment I suspect I will probably keep using Topaz for ease of use, but with Neat Image as a fall back for when Topaz misbehaves. I am assuming that Topaz will get better,

But I haven't made any direct comparisons, just had my initial being "very impressed" with Topaz tempered a little by it appearing to have problems with some images. This was also what happened with DXO Prime, so I'm just not ready to abandon Neat Image yet.

But I can't disagree that Topaz seems able to perform magic on some images.

I haven't used Topaz enough to have a solid opinion. So far at higher ISOs with very little tweaking I agree it gives results that really excellent (better than Neat Image), but I have also had some weird artefacting and haloing.

Although Neat Image needs a lot of work tweaking the sliders for every image, when I get it right, it also gives excellent results without artefacting, probably still not as much detail as Topaz when its working well. At the moment I suspect I will probably keep using Topaz for ease of use, but with Neat Image as a fall back for when Topaz misbehaves. I am assuming that Topaz will get better,

But I haven't made any direct comparisons, just had my initial being "very impressed" with Topaz tempered a little by it appearing to have problems with some images. This was also what happened with DXO Prime, so I'm just not ready to abandon Neat Image yet.

But I can't disagree that Topaz seems able to perform magic on some images.
Yes I've had the odd image that Topaz has rendered strangely with odd swirly bits, but mostly it works really well. In my experience the odd images tend not to be wildlife ones, more things like surfers. My Denoise needs updating now so I'm probably already missing out on some improvements.

I'd not heard of Neofinder either! Perhaps I have been living under a rock :D

I'd not heard of Neofinder either! Perhaps I have been living under a rock :D

Few people have, It used to be called Cdfinder as it was originally for cataloguing music, but its low in cost and has excellent support. It's speed, the ability to search from the tool bar and its ability to read virtually any file format on the planet, makes it useful even if you have some other database program.

The trial goes on forever, with the only restriction being you can only search a single volume. so you could catalogue as many things as you like on the internal HD (with multiple databases), but not an external drive, or vice versa. I used it for years until guilt got the better of me and I paid for it, and since then my requests for several new features have been taken on board and added (mainly related to IPTC data, XMP files and added compatibility with C1 files)

just bought a godox TT350.O flashgun ,from bobs your uncle on here .arrived this morning in as new condition ,dont know when I'll use it but nice to have one that works properly on the camera. so if your after one that works properly on olympus thats the one to go for

Hi, was that a pre order? Just wondering where there might be stock.

Hi Alan I have one on order at Wex spoke to them today and was told they should be in stock by the middle of the month

just bought a godox TT350.O flashgun ,from bobs your uncle on here .arrived this morning in as new condition ,dont know when I'll use it but nice to have one that works properly on the camera. so if your after one that works properly on olympus thats the one to go for

I've got an Olympus FL-600R, never used it in anger, but seemed to work ok and fires wirelessly from my Panasonic cameras.
Does this one work like that too, asking in case I get a bit more interested in this lark during the dark winter days
Thanks

I've got an Olympus FL-600R, never used it in anger, but seemed to work ok and fires wirelessly from my Panasonic cameras.
Does this one work like that too, asking in case I get a bit more interested in this lark during the dark winter days
Thanks
yes I believe so a very nice compact unit ., selling on a neewer 562n flash for nikon cameras with a GN of 58 that this is replacing that will work as a slave unit .virtually brand new if your interested ,got it on e.bay at the moment ,dont think it will go for much so open to offers

Last edited:
yes I believe so a very nice compact unit ., selling on a neewer 562n flash for nikon cameras with a GN of 58 that this is replacing that will work as a slave unit .virtually brand new if your interested ,got it on e.bay at the moment ,dont think it will go for much so open to offers

Thanks, can't say the flash bug has bitten yet so will stick with the one I have for now.

Lovely shot Alby @Ajophotog. I looked at it on the ipernity site (which to my shame I had never heard about :oops: :$) and you have some excellent shots on there. I particularly like your treatment of colour. Good depth without being garish.
Thanks for taking the time to look Alan, Ipernity is owned by the users and very much like the flickr of old before the changes back in 2013. I left Flickr after the changes and moved to ipernity because I didn't like the way flickr was progressing.

Another good shot. Makes you wonder why more people aren't mover over to Olympus.
there loss chasing a ever more expensive dream to keep the big 3 in business ..... what is really remarkable though in all honesty is the crop ability we now have with this 100-400 lens and fine detail retention that I could never achieve with the PL version

All your shots including the bumble bees look great with this lens. I bet you're very pleased.
I've only had it a couple of days but it does seem miles ahead of the Panasonic 100-400 on the Olympus body. I never used the panasonic 100-400 on a panasonic body so can't comment on how well that worked. Yes, more that happy at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back