Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I've recently bought a used Olympus E-M10 MKII and a few lenses and I've been looking at the 17mm 1.8 (non pancake version).
Do any you use this lens? Your feedback and sample shots would be very helpful.

I have been using a used M10ii and used Olympus f1.8 17mm for a good while now.
The lens was my favourite by a long chalk until I got the 12-40 PRO (also used) last summer.
That has largely taken it's place except for travelling at the lightest when going out in the evening.
Here's my best stuff without people I know in it :)

The Panasonic f1.7 25mm is another under appreciated gem if you want a small prime with a "50" field of view on a budget.
Though I don't find the focal length as useful.

That's not for me
each to there own alf ,so far its giving me a bit of a lift amid grey skies and a forthcoming stay home for two weeks lockdown .. I see no harm in it as long as its declared at posting . heres another one just done dune hunter .jpg

North wales chip ,we are currently on local lockdown meaning I can’t legally leave the county , and as from fri full stay home lockdown .. I can literally look out of my front window across the dee estuary and see where I want to be only three miles away but can’t get there ,and police are already doing ANPR checks and issuing fines so not worth chancing it
We have close friends that live in Llandudno and have only seen them for an hour since February when we stayed in Rhosneigr last month; we met in the car park in Beaumaris [and were very fed up that having paid £4 the loos were all locked!] and had a slightly chilly picnic. It's so tough. My brother lives in Australia and I am very sad that I won't be seeing him any time soon. Hang in there.

I have been using a used M10ii and used Olympus f1.8 17mm for a good while now.
The lens was my favourite by a long chalk until I got the 12-40 PRO (also used) last summer.
That has largely taken it's place except for travelling at the lightest when going out in the evening.
Here's my best stuff without people I know in it :)

The Panasonic f1.7 25mm is another under appreciated gem if you want a small prime with a "50" field of view on a budget.
Though I don't find the focal length as useful.

Some cracking photos there, the lens has impressed me enough to buy one, thank you.

another shot using the sky replacement tool in photoshop . had a good bit of fun with it today

dora the soarer by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

This is the best so far, but all of them I find a bit jarring as the focus is inconsistent and in the earlier ones so was the light quality. This one has the distant bird out of focus but the more distant sky in focus. I'd be interested to see the originals as the main-subject birds in all of them are great.

The light direction is all wrong too.

Or at least it looks like it to me.

Will this be like that Next jersey in the late 80's. The first time you saw it it was amazing. Then you saw three other people wearing it...

Just bought a DR-79 decoration ring for the 100-400 which allows you to dispense with the tripod collar , and gives a smooth grip on the lens barrel . Tripod collar now in my bag, not used a tripod since changing to Olympus another 250grams of weight less to lug around to . A useful accessorie

another go at sky replacement . picked this one due to the strands of grass its coped with them nicely . so far only a couple have been defeated mainly due to back lighting through the wing feathers . still enjoying myself anyway
well choughed by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Robin, there's a lad called Kyle Moore down that way who's got a wildlife photography business going. Good bloke, and when I spoke to him on a seal shoot last year I'm sure he said his business partner was called Harry

Edit, try www.harryreadphotography.co.uk or www.bearphoto.co.uk

Mike

.... I know them both very well indeed. Both very good photographers but Harry is exceptional and has won many awards. Yes, I'll be with them for several days and know absolutely that I can trust their judgement and ethics about photographing Seals. We won't be going where the irresponsible masses go.

Kyle is a fellow petrolhead high performance car enthusiast like myself. We tend to talk to each other more about cars than wildlife! Both shoot Canon.

No, I don't know a Harry :) I'm not a wildlife photographer by any stretch.
If we go it will be a family visit to see the baby seals and I'll take a few pictures. I won't be setting up camp and staying all day.

The reason I'm not sure is the last couple of years it's been very busy there.
I'm a bit wary of how people are going to behave when they should be socially distancing but they're roped in on the dunes.
The behaviour in the broads villages over the summer was not very encouraging with people packing themselves in like sardines.

The wardens are volunteers, there for the well being of the seals not the visitors.
If they put in one way systems etc. but people choose to ignore them then there's very little they can do and I wouldn't expect them to really.

.... To hell with social distancing - The welfare of the Seals should take priority.

Last edited:
kestrel P/P using the new photoshop sky replacement tool .this was initially a clear blue sky . gets a WOW from me but will need to be used with care.

.... A tool for sky replacement, not enhancement? I'm still on Photoshop CS6 < Intentionally and for several good reasons.

Personally, unless you are creating an entirely new digital creative artwork, that is definitely not for me! To be very frank it devalues your photographic skills on that Kestrel shot now that I know that.

At least you are open and honest about using it, Jeff.

Skylum Luminar is an excellent tool for enhancing skies from what you have captured in your original photograph. They are launching an AI replacement feature soon-ish (I am in their pre-release program) but will not replace a sky unless creating one of my digital artworks.

.... A tool for sky replacement, not enhancement? I'm still on Photoshop CS6 < Intentionally and for several good reasons.

Personally, unless you are creating an entirely new digital creative artwork, that is definitely not for me! To be very frank it devalues your photographic skills on that Kestrel shot now that I know that.

Skylum Luminar is an excellent tool for enhancing skies from what you have captured in your original photograph. They are launching an AI replacement feature soon-ish (I am in their pre-release program) but will not replace a sky unless creating one of my digital artworks.
not in the least bit bothered robin as you say I'm being honest about it its a image I wonder how the Mona Lisa would have looked in real life or if micheal angelos statue of David had had a boner :cool: on .. your lucky you can get about I have been restricted on travelling out of my home county for three weeks and now face two weeks or more of home lockdown ,need to keep my mind engaged before total insanity takes over . and its not worth risking breaking out the old bill ARE imposing fines by using/abusing ANPR ..have a nice day

your lucky you can get about I have been restricted on travelling out of my home county for three weeks and now face two weeks or more of home lockdown ,need to keep my mind engaged before total insanity takes over . and its not worth risking breaking out the old bill ARE imposing fines by using/abusing ANPR ..have a nice day

.... I greatly sympathise for the circumstances you find yourself in. At least there is contact with friends in the wider world via the hyperinterwebbynet!

I'm very lucky because even under maximum lockdown as it was a few months ago, I am within walking distance of unspoilt Dorset countryside and also the seaside and I know where to go where other people don't and where I won't even be seen except by wildlife. I often stay indoors for 2 or 3 days at a time anyway but balance that with dawn-til-dusk days out.

I'm with you on sky replacement but as this an Olympus thread I'll just leave it with one further thought.........

I wouldn't even call it creating an artwork.

I'm with you on sky replacement but as this an Olympus thread I'll just leave it with one further thought.........

I wouldn't even call it creating an artwork.

.... I said and meant creating a digital artwork, not changing an existing captured image photograph. Creating an image from scratch not from a camera image but adding such components as a replacement sky photo.

I'm working on one at the moment which would be an example but it's not ready to post yet.

I have the em10-mark2 and mistakenly bought an Olympus zuiko digital 40-150mm ed 4-5.6, thinking it was micro 4/3.

I can not get a refund. Is it worth buying an adapter to mount this?

I have the em10-mark2 and mistakenly bought an Olympus zuiko digital 40-150mm ed 4-5.6, thinking it was micro 4/3.

Not sure it will work on the lower end cameras ,might be better sticking it back on e.bay and getting the right one

I agree with Jeff and you could trade the 4/3 lens in here

Last edited:
super Malcolm .

alby the software has only been live for less 48 hrs so give me a break yeah ,unfortunately I dont have all day to play around getting it perfect ... in fact I'm quite sure there are experts out there who do stuff like this and don't declare it .and have been doing so for a long time ...

alby the software has only been live for less 48 hrs so give me a break yeah ,unfortunately I dont have all day to play around getting it perfect ... in fact I'm quite sure there are experts out there who do stuff like this and don't declare it .and have been doing so for a long time ...
Haha yeah good point Jeff. I use Luminar 4 which has a really good and simple sky change facility if you are that way inclined. Well worth a trial download and play with if you have time. ;)

Just bought a DR-79 decoration ring for the 100-400 which allows you to dispense with the tripod collar , and gives a smooth grip on the lens barrel . Tripod collar now in my bag, not used a tripod since changing to Olympus another 250grams of weight less to lug around to . A useful accessorie

Hi Jeff,
New to this part of the forum and just gearing up with an Olympus set up, got to say if I’d seen some of your bird pictures before I would have moved over ages ago, very impressed.
My question is : the DR- 79 is advertised as being for the 300mm f4, is it the same model fits both that and the 100-400
Thanks
Steve

Hi Jeff,
New to this part of the forum and just gearing up with an Olympus set up, got to say if I’d seen some of your bird pictures before I would have moved over ages ago, very impressed.
My question is : the DR- 79 is advertised as being for the 300mm f4, is it the same model fits both that and the 100-400
Thanks
Steve

I was going to look this up on the Olympus webshop, as it lists accessories per lens. But oddly the 100-400mm is no longer listed.... even as an out of stock item. In the past "if no stock" the product would still be there, so kind of odd.

Having said that I don't recall reading at any time that Olympus used the same item number for two different products i.e. there is/should only be one DR-79.

PS though why no longer listing the lens???

I was going to look this up on the Olympus webshop, as it lists accessories per lens. But oddly the 100-400mm is no longer listed.... even as an out of stock item. In the past "if no stock" the product would still be there, so kind of odd.

Having said that I don't recall reading at any time that Olympus used the same item number for two different products i.e. there is/should only be one DR-79.

PS though why no longer listing the lens???

Not listed as a lens on the US site either :thinking:

Last edited:
As BB states the DR-79 fits both the 300f4 and the 100-400 .

[QUOTE="superpippo, post: 8811342, member: 22923"]

I have the 100-400 on back order. Below in blue is the reply I had to an email from Olympus, hopefully this is the case. They also told me to get in touch with my suppller as they should have an ETA for the 100-400. I had already contacted my local supplier 3 times. I tried again after I received the Olympus email and was told by supplier they have no ETA on their screen and they will look into it and get back to me, so far I have had no further info from my local supplier.

"May I please advise that we expect a new delivery of this lens to arrive at the end of October. These will then be distributed to our dealers and e-shop in early November."

[QUOTE="superpippo, post: 8811342, member: 22923"]

I have the 100-400 on back order. Below in blue is the reply I had to an email from Olympus, hopefully this is the case. They also told me to get in touch with my suppller as they should have an ETA for the 100-400. I had already contacted my local supplier 3 times. I tried again after I received the Olympus email and was told by supplier they have no ETA on their screen and they will look into it and get back to me, so far I have had no further info from my local supplier.

"May I please advise that we expect a new delivery of this lens to arrive at the end of October. These will then be distributed to our dealers and e-shop in early November."

Yes, I have had a similar response from a local retailer that there will be a delivery and availability of the lens in November

another go at sky replacement ,trying to keep it natural looking . one of the first batch of shots with the oly 100-400
escape from oz by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Back