Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I too wouldn't say it is sharp, it has a bit of a strange glow to it.

.... Re my posted Kingfisher shot in Reply #22,413, I agree that it's not as sharp as I would ideally like it and that would be my error. However, the 'glow' (which I was aware of in the original RAW file) may possibly be at least partly due to the light reflected from the flowing river below all the overhanging mess of branches. I was with a friend who shot the same on his Canon 7D2 + EF 600mm F/4L II + 1.4x and so I'll contact him about the 'glow'. As we always banter, his first response is likely to be "Nah, you should have stuck with Canon buddy".

Personally I don't mind the 'glow' at all - It's just natural light without any glowy filters.

.... A BIG Thankyou for posting this! Daniel Cox is a very responsible wildlife photographer whose attitudes I strongly agree with regarding disturbing wildlife as little as possible.
His video offers a very objective perspective and does much to convince me that my decision to pre-order is the right decision for me - Subject to actually using it I really can't foresee a reason why I would want to return it and this has been further reinforced. It's going to suit my surf photography well too.

:) (y)

I have found his website there is another related article of interest......with a more in depth follow up report to come.

.... Another gain I forgot to add is that Olympus apparently claim that when mounted on the M1X the lens focusses "25% faster than the ED 300mm F/4 Pro". That might not seem that important but every little bit helps.
Yes it is very important to me too, all these little bits add up to be a lot when your really trying to get a shot and this is what your paying for .

Rob.

On the subject of my 'Glowing Kingfisher' (a new species!), here is my latest version. Tough titty to anyone who still doesn't like it :ROFLMAO: It's not my best Kingfisher shot ever by a long way but it's a Kingfisher! Doesn't everyone love a Kingfisher and it ain't absolute rubbish quality, just not my best.

KINGFISHER by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Am off out for the rest of the day to photograph more wildlife.

Last edited:
I have found his website there is another related article of interest......with a more in depth follow up report to come.
This will be interesting as is one of the comments regarding light gathering between the 2 lenses ( quote

Your paragraph above “Light Gathering Qualities” is very misleading and I would say just plain wrong.

The “light gathering power” of a lens is dictated by the square of the entrance pupil. In the case of the Olympus, the entrance pupil diameter is 400/4.5 = 88.9mm. The Sony is 600/6.3 = 95.2mm. So the Sony gathers (95.2/88.9)^2 = 1.15 = 15% more light than the Olympus. I’m not saying that this is a significant amount but still, the Sony gathers more light.

You could correctly say that the Olympus has 200mm less focal length and is one stop brighter but you cannot say that the Olympus has “150mm+ more magnification and a full stop more light-gathering power”. The smaller sensor only collects one quarter of the light when compared to a 35mm sensor. The rest is “cropped away” to get that extra “reach”.

I think you are right to compare these two lenses. I agree, they are quite similar and I look forward to your results. In terms of reach, the Sony on an A9II with 1.4x TC attached and cropped to the same number of horizontal pixels as the Olympus gives a full-frame equivelent image with angle of view of 600 x 1.41 x 6000/5184 = 979mm at an f-stop of 6.3 x 1.41 x 6000/5184 = f/10.3 vs the Olympus with internal teleconverter switched on of 1000mm at f/11. Quite close really!

However, I’m expecting the Olympus to be sharper. end Quote )

This will be interesting as is one of the comments regarding light gathering between the 2 lenses ( quote

Your paragraph above “Light Gathering Qualities” is very misleading and I would say just plain wrong.

The “light gathering power” of a lens is dictated by the square of the entrance pupil. In the case of the Olympus, the entrance pupil diameter is 400/4.5 = 88.9mm. The Sony is 600/6.3 = 95.2mm. So the Sony gathers (95.2/88.9)^2 = 1.15 = 15% more light than the Olympus. I’m not saying that this is a significant amount but still, the Sony gathers more light.

You could correctly say that the Olympus has 200mm less focal length and is one stop brighter but you cannot say that the Olympus has “150mm+ more magnification and a full stop more light-gathering power”. The smaller sensor only collects one quarter of the light when compared to a 35mm sensor. The rest is “cropped away” to get that extra “reach”.

I think you are right to compare these two lenses. I agree, they are quite similar and I look forward to your results. In terms of reach, the Sony on an A9II with 1.4x TC attached and cropped to the same number of horizontal pixels as the Olympus gives a full-frame equivelent image with angle of view of 600 x 1.41 x 6000/5184 = 979mm at an f-stop of 6.3 x 1.41 x 6000/5184 = f/10.3 vs the Olympus with internal teleconverter switched on of 1000mm at f/11. Quite close really!

.... Hmm, most of that went over my head! But if you are weighing up the Sony versus the Olympus then I guess it helps the decision. Personally I'm not considering a Sony, good as they are, for several other reasons - It's an individual preference thing.

I already have the Sony a9MKII and Sony 200/ 600 Robin and it's very good the 150/400 would be to work along side my Sony set up so a direct comparison review would be nice to see .

Rob.

.... Visit your local car accessories shop, or shop online, and buy some 'rain-x' anti fogging which is primarily for car glass. Please tell us if it works on specs, it should do.

Btw, I wouldn't recommend applying it to camera lenses or even filters because they have manufacturer's special coatings and there might be an adverse reaction - It's simply not worth the risk!
as most specs these days have plastic rather than glass lenses plus possible coatings .. I wouldn't even think about trying it ..

Hi Jeff, how are you finding this lens? Have you posted any shots other than this one? None on your Flickr that i can see.
just been on my first 2021 trip out and took it with me will put the film through the developer in a bit :banana: :banana: :banana:

He hasn’t yet mentioned the fact that the Olympus is 4 times the price of the Sony!

Yes I read that comment with interest, and its's something I'd like to think about further. Although the entrance pupil on the Sony is greater, it is collected onto a larger surface area, so I'm wondering if it is a mute argument, this 'light gathering power'.

Yes I read that comment with interest, and its's something I'd like to think about further. Although the entrance pupil on the Sony is greater, it is collected onto a larger surface area, so I'm wondering if it is a mute argument, this 'light gathering power'.
I don't think anyone could see a shot as 15% brighter if you had both cameras set at the same shutter /iso/ aperture you would need about 30% .

Rob.

Last edited:
He hasn’t yet mentioned the fact that the Olympus is 4 times the price of the Sony!
you make a good point £4600 a9mkII and a 200/600 V £8000 em1x and a 150/400 so this new lens really needs to blow the Sony away in IQ and AF speed / accuracy I think it will be a close call .

Rob.

Happy New Year all, hope your all well & had a good Christmas!

So the last week I know I have been very quite on here, however I have infact with my dad been very busy since Monday (every day apart from yesterday) with a project to support my new passion for birds & wildlife and of course will now hopefully help gains some new subjects for photography!

So I know this is not technically photography related but I thought I would share, as I know many of you would appreciate :)

As many of you know a couple of months ago I set up a bird feeding station which has been very successful, but wanted to enhance the space I had to create a better heaven for not just birds but all other kinds of wildlife throughout the whole year... sooo...

this is how it began Monday morning, broken decking, a rough area of dirty gravel, a large & just a few plants around the feeders....

A83C3B67-BCC8-4C23-B16A-CAA6C52676AC.jpeg

This is how it look as of around 3pm this afternoon...

9FC81771-2722-454A-8AB4-1EE1B103DC20.jpeg
60FF6E9D-798D-4728-B0BE-C5064441C833.jpeg
3EA62E7A-D459-43FB-ABD8-176F5B7B5869.jpeg
B9C9D259-6C70-4E58-9CFB-3F05FEF67058.jpeg

Brand new fresh decking, fresh stones, more plants & a new (non fish) wildlife pond! Firstly I think for 5 days work start to finish, we ain’t don’t bad!
And secondly I can’t wait to get the macro & zoom lenses to it :)

Happy New Year all, hope your all well & had a good Christmas!

So the last week I know I have been very quite on here, however I have infact with my dad been very busy since Monday (every day apart from yesterday) with a project to support my new passion for birds & wildlife and of course will now hopefully help gains some new subjects for photography!

So I know this is not technically photography related but I thought I would share, as I know many of you would appreciate :)

As many of you know a couple of months ago I set up a bird feeding station which has been very successful, but wanted to enhance the space I had to create a better heaven for not just birds but all other kinds of wildlife throughout the whole year... sooo...

this is how it began Monday morning, broken decking, a rough area of dirty gravel, a large & just a few plants around the feeders....

View attachment 304094

This is how it look as of around 3pm this afternoon...

View attachment 304095
View attachment 304096
View attachment 304097
View attachment 304098

Brand new fresh decking, fresh stones, more plants & a new (non fish) wildlife pond! Firstly I think for 5 days work start to finish, we ain’t don’t bad!
And secondly I can’t wait to get the macro & zoom lenses to it :)

Nice one Joe. I love your endeavours. I’m sure you’ll be well rewarded.

Looks a lot better joe the only thing I would add is a raised area “old tree trunk” etc that you could seed for the birds to land on and pose . Trip out in dads van and seek out a mossy log or two . Moss is always a good effect with birds

Great work Joe.
Another thing to consider is some sort of slope so wildlife can access your pond.
Birds will be fine, but small frogs etc won't get over the raised edge...

Looks a lot better joe the only thing I would add is a raised area “old tree trunk” etc that you could seed for the birds to land on and pose . Trip out in dads van and seek out a mossy log or two . Moss is always a good effect with birds

Thanks mate & yeah that’s a good tip actually... I’ll have to do some digging aha :)

Great work Joe.
Another thing to consider is some sort of slope so wildlife can access your pond.

Thank you :) Totally agree & infact the Slate that is actually in the pond, is linked to others which create a ramp right down the to bottom of it under the water :)

Great work Joe.

I have just re looked at the pic & see what you mean now there is a slight gap between the top slate & the one in the water.. I have some slate lefts so I’ll try fill the gap tomorrow :)

I have just re looked at the pic & see what you mean now there is a slight gap between the top slate & the one in the water.. I have some slate lefts so I’ll try fill the gap tomorrow :)
I was meaning the wildlife getting up to the pond rather that into it....

Screenshot_20210102-184312_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Bird AI again.

So we had a bit of sun and i decided to have another go, my tests before were mostly with a block of 25 points and always focus priority set rather than fps .

This time i set it to FPS ( instead of focus priority ) and all points, the camera worked a lot better it has stopped hesitating when it lost focus as it did before and sort of left you hanging .
It did still miss shots but the hit rate was a lot higher and a few bursts of around 20 shots gave 90% sharp .
View: https://flic.kr/p/2knVmrk

View: https://flic.kr/p/2koifjx

https://flic.kr/p/2koifww

Handheld at 1/15s, ISO 3200, @1120mm (equivalent), 20 mins after sundown is far from ideal but I have to say I am impressed with the Olympus - M1X + 100-400mm +1.4x in such testing conditions.

LITTLE OWL AFTER SUNDOWN by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Last edited:
Bird AI again.

So we had a bit of sun and i decided to have another go, my tests before were mostly with a block of 25 points and always focus priority set rather than fps .

This time i set it to FPS ( instead of focus priority ) and all points, the camera worked a lot better it has stopped hesitating when it lost focus as it did before and sort of left you hanging .
It did still miss shots but the hit rate was a lot higher and a few bursts of around 20 shots gave 90% sharp .
View: https://flic.kr/p/2knVmrk

View: https://flic.kr/p/2koifjx

https://flic.kr/p/2koifww

An interesting insight, it gives me pause to wonder that although Bird D&T requires C-AF & Tr to function the AI algorithm overrides the core C-AF such that if "focus priority" is set it is 'fighting'/hindering the AI function. Thus when you set "FPS priority" the AI has freer reign to control the AF & Tr

Thanks the tests and insights :)

An interesting insight, it gives me pause to wonder that although Bird D&T requires C-AF & Tr to function the AI algorithm overrides the core C-AF such that if "focus priority" is set it is 'fighting'/hindering the AI function. Thus when you set "FPS priority" the AI has freer reign to control the AF & Tr

Thanks the tests and insights :)
Makes me wonder if this would also apply to other models and A/F modes will have a play next time I’m out . I tend to always shoot in high speed burst mode at around 13fps . Which works for me but if changing to fps priority improves keepers it’s worth a try

.... The logical setting is 'Focus Priority' but 'FPS Priority' is definitely worth a test as suggested. I would have expected Olympus to write a note about that in the User Manual though as Detect & Track has been a feature since the M1X was originally launched. Am going to give 'FPS Priority' a go too.

There is also a logic which suggests that by giving priority to FPS the C-AF+TR captures more final image choices in a burst.

Last edited:
Makes me wonder if this would also apply to other models and A/F modes will have a play next time I’m out . I tend to always shoot in high speed burst mode at around 13fps . Which works for me but if changing to fps priority improves keepers it’s worth a try
I don't think it will Jeff because in high speed burst mode the focus is set on the first frame so in theory only the first shot should be sharp Unless the bird is still however even a bird in flight burst can show more than the first shot sharp because it hardly moves in a burst of 10/ 20 .
Now if a bird is flying right towards you in a burst they should get progressively softer after the first 2 or 3 shots but in low speed burst the camera try's to refocus between each shot even at 13 fps .

Rob.

Looks good. Nice colours in that good light.

Is that (and the other one) taken as 4:3 and then cropped to a letterbox?

BTW is that Flint?
Yes to all of them

Back