Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

one from last year before the plague made us prisoners of our devices

.... Great wordsmithing Jeff! "Prisoners of our own devices" is a lyric from the classic 'Hotel California' by The Eagles.

"You can check out anytime you want but you can never leave" < Rather like Talk Photography :D

.... Great wordsmithing Jeff! "Prisoners of our own devices" is a lyric from the classic 'Hotel California' by The Eagles.

"You can check out anytime you want but you can never leave" < Rather like Talk Photography :D

As I’m reading this. It’s just playing on the radio. Kismet !!

just been having a play around .. been contemplating getting another macro lens as I sold my 60mm at the end of the season looked at various configurations of A/F and M/F lenses then I realised this morning I already have a fairly decent macro lens built into the 12-50 EF lens so just trying it out for the first time .. hand held ,natural light quite pleased it will give me something to play with for a bit anyway .

cone squared by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Last edited:
and another shot same lens ,small geode around 50mm end to end ,again hand held as im just playing around to save boredom . bloody boilers gone tits up so waiting for the repair man to appear
dragons teeth by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

just been having a play around .. been contemplating getting another macro lens as I sold my 60mm at the end of the season looked at various configurations of A/F and M/F lenses then I realised this morning I already have a fairly decent macro lens built into the 12-50 EF lens so just trying it out for the first time .. hand held ,natural light quite pleased it will give me something to play with for a bit anyway .

.... Last year when I was fed up with my Olympus ED 60mm Macro I tried out my Olympus ED 12-40mm F/2.8 Pro and was pleasantly surprised but it doesn't have enough reach to reliably avoid spooking live subjects.

MACRO FLASH CRANE FLY by Robin Procter, on Flickr

^ ^ ^ Camera info on Flickr

In reality robin I’m hoping the 100-400 will do job for insects etc, but not really had the chance to play with that side of things ,closer macro this 12-50 looks reasonable . One of the reasons I got shot of the 60mm is I don’t really do ultra close hairs on flies legs type stuff

Robin, thanks for posting your spider picture. I've been thinking about buying a Toughie for some time and noticed that HDEW have it at an advantageous price just now. Your pic was the final encouragement I needed so I've done the deed and hope it will arrive before too long.

In reality robin I’m hoping the 100-400 will do job for insects etc, but not really had the chance to play with that side of things ,closer macro this 12-50 looks reasonable . One of the reasons I got shot of the 60mm is I don’t really do ultra close hairs on flies legs type stuff

.... Same here - I'm expecting my ED 100-400mm to perform well for insect close-ups and currently rely on my Canon-Olympus hybrid rig for proper macro. But the ED 150-400mm+1.25x may arrive before the mini-beast world wakes up for the 2021 season, in which case.... But I have a concern about the new big zoom lens being lightweight enough when handheld for close-ups of insects. If I decide to keep the big white lens I will definitely sell my 100-400mm.

Last edited:
Robin, thanks for posting your spider picture. I've been thinking about buying a Toughie for some time and noticed that HDEW have it at an advantageous price just now. Your pic was the final encouragement I needed so I've done the deed and hope it will arrive before too long.

.... I am very pleased with my Oly TG-6 but it does have its limitations as every small camera without a viewfinder has - The worse I find are reflections on the screen according to where the sun is so that you can't see enough detail/info about what you are shooting. No such thing as the perfect camera, eh?

I love that it shoots RAW and can Focus Bracket/Stack handheld. Here is my Album of some of my TG-6 images on Flickr (which isn't up to date) : https://www.flickr.com/photos/114775606@N07/albums/72157714089086242

Btw, some of its accessories are very good, especially the clever body cap with built-in diaphram.

Last edited:
A few more. I must admit I love the way the EM 1x operates it makes catching those elusive moments so much easier once you set the camera up to your abilities.
I still get the odd umph picture but mostly it's clipped wings or head looking the wrong way.

Attachments

• PSX_20210118_085405.jpg
    PSX_20210118_085405.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 24
  • PSX_20210118_085333.jpg
    PSX_20210118_085333.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 24
  • PSX_20210118_085305.jpg
    PSX_20210118_085305.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
A few more. I must admit I love the way the EM 1x opperates it makes catching those elusive moments so much easier once you set the camera up to your abilities.
I still get the odd umph picture but mostly it's clipped wings or head looking the wrong way.

.... Good action shots! I find that there is always a tiny amount of lag with mirrorless cameras and it's worse on my E-M1X than when I had a Canon EOS-R. It's possibly my settings?

The 'global shutter' has been touted as 'promised' nirvana that mirrorless needs to come of age.

So who is spending money on developing that technology? Sadly, even if Olympus were doing so I have my doubts that OM-DS would be in a hurry to continue that to fruition. Plus as I understand it such a shutter technology is an integral part of sensor design............. so Sony maybe and then make/sell the tech to other manufacturers?

The 'global shutter' has been touted as 'promised' nirvana that mirrorless needs to come of age.

So who is spending money on developing that technology? Sadly, even if Olympus were doing so I have my doubts that OM-DS would be in a hurry to continue that to fruition. Plus as I understand it such a shutter technology is an integral part of sensor design............. so Sony maybe and then make/sell the tech to other manufacturers?

.... Theoretically at least, because I haven't tried it yet, the Olympus 'Pro Capture' feature of constantly pre-capturing 30 images should workaround shutter lag but it seems tedious to use unless customised to action on one button.

Has anyone here tried it? And what do they think of it?

.... Theoretically at least, because I haven't tried it yet, the Olympus 'Pro Capture' feature of constantly pre-capturing 30 images should workaround shutter lag but it seems tedious to use unless customised to action on one button.

Has anyone here tried it? And what do they think of it?

I have used Pro Cap L a certain amount and it is quite effective. Though not ideal for every situation.......and IMO it does possibly need fine tuning that I have not yet got quite right (yet).

PS where the bird is flying away i.e. not across the frame, you can get some interesting rolling shutter effects :LOL:

Last edited:
I have also tried it and while it can give superb results in some circumstances I found the sheer amount of files produced tedious to go through ..however I dont seem to suffer any lag of any kind , whether thats down to the way I have my OVF/EVF set up I dont know , and remember I use front shutter button only. this can and does vary between models of camera and also has to be watched after updates. as it changes parameters in the menu system .in fact and I can prove it once focus is achieved I have managed bursts of around 40 shots all in focus and hand held .

over my period of ownership I have seen many ideas spouted by other users world wide tried quiet a few and some have been to put it bluntly misleading or causing adverse results, basically find a user-flow that suits the type of photography you do and the body /lenses you own and learn how to get the best from them.

I also think that a lot of peeps tend to use electronic shutter to retain a better resale value rather than better results . I find the mechanical one best

Last edited:
Hi Robin
I'm still a canon man but this is my first mirrorless csc body.
I think too many people expect the camera to do everything for them. I'm an Engineer by trade so when I first get anything new I look for the weakspots first and try to understand why. If it needs me to adjust my shooting techniques to suit the camera I do. I'm one who's a sceptic first and foremost when it comes to anything new.
I have always been lucky when it came to tracking birds in flight.
Years ago some friends took me clay pigeon shooting. I had never done it before. I clipped the first clay and broke everything there after so I'm pretty lucky I bring that skill to the table without having to practice it.
Everyone is different and what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. I always have my refocusing speed set to +2. If it would allow me I would set it even faster.
Sometimes when it's a new subject I will sit and study it's movements before I even start taking batches of photo's. I always get a couple in the bag first just in case

Last edited:
I have also tried it and while it can give superb results in some circumstances I found the sheer amount of files produced tedious to go through ..however I dont seem to suffer any lag of any kind , whether thats down to the way I have my OVF/EVF set up I dont know , and remember I use front shutter button only. this can and does vary between models of camera and also has to be watched after updates. as it changes parameters in the menu system .in fact and I can prove it once focus is achieved I have managed bursts of around 40 shots all in focus and hand held .

over my period of ownership I have seen many ideas spouted by other users world wide tried quiet a few and some have been to put it bluntly misleading or causing adverse results, basically find a user-flow that suits the type of photography you do and the body /lenses you own and learn how to get the best from them.

I also think that a lot of peeps tend to use electronic shutter to retain a better resale value rather than better results . I find the mechanical one best

.... The sheer number of extra files are what are putting me off trying it - I have 2 x 64GB very fast cards so that's not a limitation, it's just the tedium. I may try it on something special one day but I'm not excited about it. Capturing a bird landing is usually far more interesting than one taking off.

I couldn't agree more about not taking too much notice of settings ideas spouted by other users! Everyone shoots differently.

Retaining a better resale value by using the electronic shutter!!? WTF! Are they serious? The difference in resale cost would be insignificant and what have they bought the camera for? For the next user? It's like buying a car and not driving it!

.... The sheer number of extra files are what are putting me off trying it - I have 2 x 64GB very fast cards so that's not a limitation, it's just the tedium. I may try it on something special one day but I'm not excited about it. Capturing a bird landing is usually far more interesting than one taking off.

I couldn't agree more about not taking too much notice of settings ideas spouted by other users! Everyone shoots differently.

Retaining a better resale value by using the electronic shutter!!? WTF! Are they serious? The difference in resale cost would be insignificant and what have they bought the camera for? For the next user? It's like buying a car and not driving it!
I'm serious about using the e/shutter bit robin ,I often see when browsing the bay of dreams etc cameras that outwardly look disgusting and heavily used with a extremely low shutter count ..

and yep we all have different needs

@RedRobin
On DPReview there is mention that in the US the new 150-400mm will be shipping on 28th January
150-400 Shipping Jan 28: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review (dpreview.com)

.... Thanks! I better start counting my beans!

I'll get an email from WEX when they have stock but I might be in the second wave of supply because I didn't order straightaway - I procrastinated and wanted to find out more about the lens before pre-ordering.

It's looking like I may have it in time for the Spring and mini-beast season afterall.

Some of you may already know this and also may have also been asked if you want to transfer your existing Olympus account/registration and membership to OM Digital Solutions (serving United Kingdom & Ireland) based in Hamburg Germany.

I interpret this as solid evidence of the Olympus BRAND and customer care being continued and nurtured. The Olympus Shop serving Europe including the UK is not up and running again yet but is expected to be so soon - Weeks not months. It is easy for us as outsiders to criticise the changeover and perhaps it could/should have been completed by now and more efficiently, but I see no reason to be pessimistic.

The emailed invitations to agree to the transfer and new terms, or not, is a good sign that it is progressing.

Last edited:
Some of you may already know this and also may have also been asked if you want to transfer your existing Olympus account/registration and membership to OM Digital Solutions (serving United Kingdom & Ireland) based in Hamburg Germany.

I interpret this as solid evidence of the Olympus BRAND and customer care being continued. The Olympus Shop serving Europe including the UK is not up and running again yet but is expected to be so soon - Weeks not months. It is easy for us as outsiders to criticise the changeover and perhaps it could/should have been completed by now and more efficiently, but I see no reason to be pessimistic.

The emailed invitations to agree to the transfer and new terms, or not, is a good sign that it is progressing.

Be they 'birth pains' or 'teething trouble'.....all good things come right in the end....all being well........ :)

Focus Stacked on my Olympus TG-6 with macro ringflash accessory. Whereas this camera shoots RAW and has the same processor as the M1X uses, it is very fiddly and tricky to change selections while shooting.

House Spider on the march! Another after midnight encounter just as I was about to go to bed. Too good a photo opportunity to miss and so it was another late night!

HOUSE SPIDER ON THE MARCH! by Robin Procter, on Flickr

I interpret this as solid evidence of the Olympus BRAND and customer care being continued and nurtured. The Olympus Shop serving Europe including the UK is not up and running again yet but is expected to be so soon - Weeks not months. It is easy for us as outsiders to criticise the changeover and perhaps it could/should have been completed by now and more efficiently, but I see no reason to be pessimistic.

Hey Robin, just seen this, it really is positive signs as you say :) But I haven’t received such email? The only one I got was a while ago when it was a mistake & the links didn’t work (everyone originally thought it was a scam). So have Oly sent a new one since or do you have to log in to then be asked?

Hey Robin, just seen this, it really is positive signs as you say :) But I haven’t received such email? The only one I got was a while ago when it was a mistake & the links didn’t work (everyone originally thought it was a scam). So have Oly sent a new one since or do you have to log in to then be asked?

I think such emails have only gone to those with a "My Olympus" account. Or perhaps not if you have logged into your account before the emails were sent out???

.... It's as Box Brownie says : A 'My Olympus' account includes being subscribed to emailed updates/news/offers etc. I started My Olympus when I registered my Olympus products.

I think such emails have only gone to those with a "My Olympus" account.

The next question will be how many weeks after a release in America do Olympus take to supply to the UK. But it is what it is and at least this lens is now a reality and no longer a rumour.

.... It's as Box Brownie says : A 'My Olympus' account includes being subscribed to emailed updates/news/offers etc. I started My Olympus when I registered my Olympus products.

The next question will be how many weeks after a release in America do Olympus take to supply to the UK. But it is what it is and at least this lens is now a reality and no longer a rumour.

thank you @Box Brownie & @RedRobin, very much appreciated.

I am a member of My Olympus & is far as I am now subscribed to their mailing, so I’ll do like you say and try log in today & see what happens :)

UPDATE.... Hey guys, so I have just logged into My Olympus and was fronted with this page, I’m presuming this mean I have now happily switched over my details to the new company?

814B5A23-65BD-448B-A070-8F660CA3D638.jpeg

Thanks as always for you your helps :)

Yes just follow it through,agree and submit

Back in December I was able to pop over to the coast and see the Grey Seals as they gather on the beach at Horsey, Norfolk to have their pups.

Taken on my Olympus OM-D E-M10ii using the Olympus 75-300mm f/4.8-6.7 ii lens I bought earlier in 2020 and have barely had a chance to use.
The low level of light, slow aperture and chilly conditions meant I was pushing the limits of what I could take handheld from the top of the dunes.
Still I go for the pups not the snaps!

PC12034620201212_086 (Large).jpgPC12042320201212_224 (Large).jpg

Back