Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

i didn't even know their was a new company, so instead of attitude perhaps saying "there is a new company taking over" would of been a more appropriate response in talk tog forum. i am an m4/3 fan and its an really odd response to my very straightforward question

I wouldn't worry too much, as i'm fairly new member who mostly observes, i've noted too that if you're a bit of a rooky you tend to get a curt answer from him. Must think he's bigger and more important than some of us. Just my observations and why i think many don't post as they get put off.

I wouldn't worry too much, as i'm fairly new member who mostly observes, i've noted too that if you're a bit of a rooky you tend to get a curt answer from him. Must think he's bigger and more important than some of us. Just my observations and why i think many don't post as they get put off.

Think like many of us he is getting a bit stir crazy, its been an even harsher lockdown over the border in Wales.
Have to give people a bit more leeway in these strange times, not too much though :)

I answer questions as I read them .. I’m also sure as both of you realise that there are a lot of idjits out there that would love to be able to cut/paste/quote degoratory posts re Olympus or MFT in general . Thus I’m always on the defensive ..
And yes I suppose rich I am getting a LOT stir crazy far more than just a bit ... the English lockdown has a lot of freedoms that don’t .yours is run by old etonians ours is run by Old communists with a private agenda ...

I answer questions as I read them .. I’m also sure as both of you realise that there are a lot of idjits out there that would love to be able to cut/paste/quote degoratory posts re Olympus or MFT in general . Thus I’m always on the defensive ..
And yes I suppose rich I am getting a LOT stir crazy far more than just a bit ... the English lockdown has a lot of freedoms that don’t .yours is run by old etonians ours is run by Old communists with a private agenda ...

I think both mobs have agendas, but that Welsh crew do seem even more power crazy.
Have to reread before I post, think us old east enders can be a bit blunt at times.
Other times just go for it and F the consequences if that's what the situation requires.
Stay cool for a bit longer, soon be getting out and about again despite all the despots.,

meanwhile back in the land of dragons I have been playing around with photoshop methods . so heres my latest attempt . might not be to everyones tastes but when your dealing with messy backgrounds it helps
white noise v.2 by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

meanwhile back in the land of dragons I have been playing around with photoshop methods . so heres my latest attempt . might not be to everyones tastes but when your dealing with messy backgrounds it helps
white noise v.2 by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

" Excellent" shot Jeff, and I for one like the presentation.

Hi im after a bit of advice please if anyone can help or advise me ?
I have recently tried out the focus stacking in camera for the first time using just available light.
The problem is I could get my shutter speed down below 1/8 sec F stop was between f8/f11 but I had to shoot at 1600 iso to even get something like a image and then lighten it in PP.
I tried A and also M modes

Hi im after a bit of advice please if anyone can help or advise me ?
I have recently tried out the focus stacking in camera for the first time using just available light.
The problem is I could get my shutter speed down below 1/8 sec F stop was between f8/f11 but I had to shoot at 1600 iso to even get something like a image and then lighten it in PP.
I tried A and also M modes
Which lens?
How far away?
What is the subject?

Why f8 if stacking?

When I was playing with it , on the 60mm macro I tended to use a small bank of l.e.d lights to illuminate the subject ,or get one of those pop up home studio things with the built in l.e.d’s either or can be bought for under a tenner ..a table top tripod helps as does a remote trigger.. I did do a few focus stacks outdoors hand held but a lot of failures with that due to movement

When I was playing with it , on the 60mm macro I tended to use a small bank of l.e.d lights to illuminate the subject ,or get one of those pop up home studio things with the built in l.e.d’s either or can be bought for under a tenner ..a table top tripod helps as does a remote trigger.. I did do a few focus stacks outdoors hand held but a lot of failures with that due to movement

Jeff,
I would be interested to get a little bit more info on " 'pop up home studio things with the built in l.e.d’s'" please .
I am not sure what you mean but they sound useful

Jeff,
I would be interested to get a little bit more info on " 'pop up home studio things with the built in l.e.d’s'" please .
I am not sure what you mean but they sound useful
yep linky thing here ,they range from a fiver up to about 20 quid cheapest is best .. search on e/bay amazon etc. think I paid about 4.99 for mine with free delivery , get one from a u.k source though

Last edited:
yep linky thing here ,they range from a fiver up to about 20 quid cheapest is best .. search on e/bay amazon etc. think I paid about 4.99 for mine with free delivery , get one from a u.k source though

What a plonker I have one of those pop up lighting box’s :runaway:
I purchased it before last years lockdown!
I will dig it out and have a go later (y)
Thanks for the prompt/jog of my memory :)(y)

Decomposition by Philip Higgins, on Flickr

OMD mk1 M.zuiko 30mm f3.5 macro at minimum focus distance a dead fly
Decomposition by Philip Higgins, on Flickr

For a dead fly a well diffused flash and go for f4 or maybe f5.6 will really help and shoot more frames

Something like this will do

Macro-rig-2 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

or this

EM1 sigma 105 Mk11 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

although technically not a olympus shot its from part of my transition to MFT without it I probably would never made the jump as I already had the PL 100-400 lens used here on a panasonic G80 .. funnily enough last year on the basis of how good that camera was I bought a G9 which I could not get on with and sent back . sticking to olympus only these days though
day dreaming by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Just had a standard subscribed email from HDEW who I buy from a lot - Them and WEX are my favoured suppliers. HDEW are offering the difficult-to-get Olympus ED 100-400mm for those who are interested and at their usual very competitive price. I would like to add that I have no financial interest whatsoever in promoting this information - Just sharing to help fellow Oly lovers.

I do all my purchases from both HDEW and WEX by phone.

Last edited:
Just had a standard subscribed email from HDEW who I buy from a lot - Them and WEX are my favoured suppliers. HDEW are offering the difficult-to-get Olympus ED 100-400mm for those who are interested and at their usual very competitive price. I would like to add that I have no financial interest whatsoever in promoting this information - Just sharing to help fellow Oly lovers.

I do all my purchases from both HDEW and WEX by phone.

No longer available.

@RedRobin

More 150-400mm 'goodness' found mentioned over at DPReview forum ;)

The video itself
View: https://youtu.be/jJuEh0rOKqY

.... Thanks as always, @Box Brownie. That wildlife photographer is really good and I relate to his attitude about Nature.

I have now entered a phase of thinking that it's going to be a matter of fate whether I end up with an Oly 150-400mm+1.25x Pro or not. One day, who knows when, one will arrive in my hands for me to decide to keep or not but meanwhile I continue to get on well with my ED 100-400mm although I am very aware of the valuable advantages which the new big lens will offer.

No longer available.

.... Re the ED 100-400mm at HDEW, can you expand on that please? It's listed as being available, obviously subject to the supply line being stocked. HDEW don't usually have a product on their website while it's not available to order.

I think it's safe to say that Olympus are not about to cancel production of this relatively new lens so that it's no longer available.

.... Re the ED 100-400mm at HDEW, can you expand on that please? It's listed as being available, obviously subject to the supply line being stocked. HDEW don't usually have a product on their website while it's not available to order.

I think it's safe to say that Olympus are not about to cancel production of this relatively new lens so that it's no longer available.

When I said ’no longer available’ I meant that it does not appear on the HDEW list of Oly lenses (not that it had ceased production!).
The link you posted still comes up with a page - but it’s just a wish list.
If you do a search for the lens, nothing comes up.

Thats what I read the comment as.

The marvels of the English language.

Might just be a limited offer to known buyers ,and not open to the general public .

FWIW

As I have youTube on Prime......I have just watched the full video (linked in my previous post above ;) ) on our TV (not as big, these days as some have, at 42inch) and it was not only great to watch but very restful.

Edit ~ even if not Olympus users, still IMO very much worth watching :)

PS the maker also has some amazing wildlife reserves & refuges in that part of the states.

When I said ’no longer available’ I meant that it does not appear on the HDEW list of Oly lenses (not that it had ceased production!).
The link you posted still comes up with a page - but it’s just a wish list.
If you do a search for the lens, nothing comes up.

.... Fair enough - I only shared information according to the email from HDEW I had received which looked like a standard regular 'this is the latest we have on offer'.

Might just be a limited offer to known buyers ,and not open to the general public .

.... Ah, that possibly explains it because I had asked them to get me this lens when it was first announced by Olympus last year but WEX had it in stock first. I thought I had phoned to thank them and tell them I no longer needed it.

Had an interesting morning photographing common frogs spawning at a nearby pond , been many years since I saw so many frogs in one small pond .

Attachments

• 597E799D-BA5D-46B0-B5E6-11B59A26F11A.jpeg
    597E799D-BA5D-46B0-B5E6-11B59A26F11A.jpeg
    126 KB · Views: 45
  • 177B06FC-5D4C-4C68-A56F-24FB3EF48FC5.jpeg
    177B06FC-5D4C-4C68-A56F-24FB3EF48FC5.jpeg
    212 KB · Views: 44
Had an interesting morning photographing common frogs spawning at a nearby pond , been many years since I saw so many frogs in one small pond .
Love the second one Damien

I’m considering buying the 60mm macro to use on my em1x , does any one have any suggestions as to a better purchase ?

I’m considering buying the 60mm macro to use on my em1x , does any one have any suggestions as to a better purchase ?
I would say that depends on how and what you shoot macro.
If you want to handhold and whether you want to use MF or AF. For MF I suggest a different lens. For AF and focus stacking try the 60mm f2.8.

I wouldn’t recommend the 30mm except for flowers.

I would say that depends on how and what you shoot macro.
If you want to handhold and whether you want to use MF or AF. For MF I suggest a different lens. For AF and focus stacking try the 60mm f2.8.

I wouldn’t recommend the 30mm except for flowers.
hi Alf , my primary area of interest at the min is wildlife so Im after a lens to complement my 100-400 and I’m particularly interested in getting a good dragon fly picture or 2 . But I do like macro and do like flower photos Ect
a caveat is that I will be buying the 300 f4 as soon as possible as well . Anybody with any experience of the 12-100 for close up work ?

Last edited:
Having owned 2 60mm macro lenses a 30mm one and a samyang 100mm one I have sold them all ... I’m not really in to ultra close ups of the hairs on a flys legs .. the 60mm btw was best of bunch .. but I now have a 12-50 EZ lens that has a macro setting if needed but I; your case Damien I would suggest you do as I’m going to do this year and use the 100-400 + 1.4 tc as long range close ups . Just input a hand held close up setting to your custom modes and it’s easy to switch . I have mine set up to s.af./ single shot / single small point . And auto i.s.o . Saves all that faffing around with tripods lights etc ..
I had no problems last year with the 100-400 getting dragonflies in flight ,statics dead easy as well .the beauty of Olympus is ease of use no need even for a backpack travelling light is the key

Having owned 2 60mm macro lenses a 30mm one and a samyang 100mm one I have sold them all ... I’m not really in to ultra close ups of the hairs on a flys legs .. the 60mm btw was best of bunch .. but I now have a 12-50 EZ lens that has a macro setting if needed but I; your case Damien I would suggest you do as I’m going to do this year and use the 100-400 + 1.4 tc as long range close ups . Just input a hand held close up setting to your custom modes and it’s easy to switch . I have mine set up to s.af./ single shot / single small point . And auto i.s.o . Saves all that faffing around with tripods lights etc ..
I had no problems last year with the 100-400 getting dragonflies in flight ,statics dead easy as well .the beauty of Olympus is ease of use no need even for a backpack travelling light is the key
Ok Jeff you convinced me , I’ll order the 1.4 tc and give that a try .
will most likely still buy the 12-100 f4 as Walk about on holiday ( if they ever come back ) lens .

Back