Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Well, I've sold it...OM-D E-M5, that is.

When asked by the buyer why, this was my answer........

Reason for selling...........That's not so easy.

It's a beautiful well made camera with superb IQ, I really do like it.

But I just don't seem to get on with it as I do with my Panasonic GH2 and G3.

I think maybe it's a Pany/Oly thing, I know my way around my Pannies like the back of my hand.

I'd rather let it go now, that it's 'as new', than wait maybe 5-6 months and get less for it.

I'm going back to play with the 'BIG' boys, I've a D7000 + 35mm f1.8 on order.

But I intend to keep my GH2, G3 and 7-14, 14-45, 25 LUX and 45-200 lenses.

BTW...Taking both postages into account the D7000 with the 35mm f1.8 lens is £11 less than I received for the OM-D E-M5....go figure :shrug:

I love my EM-5. These are all hand held, slowest 1/3 second!:

_5150231.jpg

_5140024.jpg

_5150219.jpg

_5150215.jpg

_5140060-1.jpg

Thanks Chris, this camera has allowed me to take photographs I wouldn't be able to get without a tripod and a lot of messing about. I think it is brilliant.

Last edited:
Thanks Chris, this camera has allowed me to take photographs I wouldn't be able to get without a tripod and a lot of messing about. I think it is brilliant.

I'm pondering my options again having just got rid of my EP2, I wasn't interested in the OMD at first but seeing some of the shots being taken with it makes me think twice.

Here's another low light, hand held. Keep an eye out for people selling theirs, there have been a few already.

_5150214.jpg

Well, I've sold it...OM-D E-M5, that is.

When asked by the buyer why, this was my answer........

Reason for selling...........That's not so easy.

It's a beautiful well made camera with superb IQ, I really do like it.

But I just don't seem to get on with it as I do with my Panasonic GH2 and G3.

I think maybe it's a Pany/Oly thing, I know my way around my Pannies like the back of my hand.

I'd rather let it go now, that it's 'as new', than wait maybe 5-6 months and get less for it.

I'm going back to play with the 'BIG' boys, I've a D7000 + 35mm f1.8 on order.

But I intend to keep my GH2, G3 and 7-14, 14-45, 25 LUX and 45-200 lenses.

BTW...Taking both postages into account the D7000 with the 35mm f1.8 lens is £11 less than I received for the OM-D E-M5....go figure :shrug:

He almost got a bargain... :) You should have posted here you were selling it I would have probably bought it off of you no questions asked!

I've been using my new OM-D extensively on a trip to the Faroe Islands. It's a seriously good piece of kit, and so much easier for hiking with than my DSLR kit, which has hardly come out of the bag this trip. I'm using 3 main lenses, a Panasonic 8mm fisheye, Olympus 9-18 and Olympus 45. I also have Panasonic 14mm and 20mm lenses with me. The whole lot goes in a belt pack along with some Lee filters. Awesome.

Funningur by Tobers, on Flickr

I haven't got my hands on one yet but may be going to Hong Kong in the Summer, so I called couple of resellers and the E-M5 with kit lens is £300 cheaper than UK! I do think we get ripped off here! Maybe the tax man is to blame!

I haven't got my hands on one yet but may be going to Hong Kong in the Summer, so I called couple of resellers and the E-M5 with kit lens is £300 cheaper than UK! I do think we get ripped off here! Maybe the tax man is to blame!

If you haven't been to Hong Kong before, be very careful where you buy, or you will be ripped off there, never mind here!

If you haven't been to Hong Kong before, be very careful where you buy, or you will be ripped off there, never mind here!

I know there is loads of tourist traps! It helps that I speak fluent Cantonese! I have brought from reputable resellers there before, in fact my 5D II was from HK. I most likely go direct to Olympus HK, OM-D Lens kit, standard RRP 10600HKD ~ £883

I'm just shocked that a new camera, HK is doing at 24% cheaper.

I know there is loads of tourist traps! It helps that I speak fluent Cantonese! I have brought from reputable resellers there before, in fact my 5D II was from HK. I most likely go direct to Olympus HK, OM-D Lens kit, standard RRP 10600HKD ~ £883

I'm just shocked that a new camera, HK is doing at 24% cheaper.

Well it's good to hear you know what you are doing :) The price difference was of course offset here on initial release with the free grip offer. I tend to buy from Fortress in Hong Kong when I'm there.

Michael,

Generally the 12-50 is pretty impressive for the number of features Oly have squeezed into the lens. My one criticism is that I wonder if it could have been a bit physically shorter (perhaps by giving it a shorter maximum focal length). Some will criticise its small maximum aperture... But hey, that's what primes are for!

Not sure I can add much with regard to the video capabilities, as this isn't something that particularly interests me. The motorised zoom feature for video is impressive, though perhaps a little over-sensitive. I.e. You only have to turn the lens barrel a tiny bit to zoom at the next quickest speed (there are three zoom speeds).

Fantastic pics in your Faroes set Tobers. Such a dramatic landscape.

It's been on my list of places to visit for years.

Michael,

Generally the 12-50 is pretty impressive for the number of features Oly have squeezed into the lens. My one criticism is that I wonder if it could have been a bit physically shorter (perhaps by giving it a shorter maximum focal length). Some will criticise its small maximum aperture... But hey, that's what primes are for!

Not sure I can add much with regard to the video capabilities, as this isn't something that particularly interests me. The motorised zoom feature for video is impressive, though perhaps a little over-sensitive. I.e. You only have to turn the lens barrel a tiny bit to zoom at the next quickest speed (there are three zoom speeds).

Thanks Steve, that sounds promising. I like the fact it is 24mm at the wide end, will also allow me to leave my 50-500 on my 50d, I am just trying to gather real world opinions before I commit.

Had a play with the Oly at SRS in Watford, it's an incredible camera. So my current lenses range from 17-50, 28-105, 55-300, 120-400 and a 100mm macro.

If I have my calculations correct then I need to cover with micro four thirds lenses the range of 12mm - 300mm. I think that the f number is of no consequence, as f2.8 is the same whatever the camera/lens is.

I am selling my Pentax equipment and would like any lens recommendations to cover the above range.

I will purchase the camera with the 12-50 kit lens, as that is a WR type and therefore very handy.

Regards

Picked one up yesterday for the wife, lovely bit of kit, I was surprised at the size as I was expecting something more akin to the G3 if not a bit bigger but it's almost the same as my GX1. The menu system takes a bit of adjusting too and a couple of the buttons feel a bit squishy but I think that might just be the weather-proofing.

Autofocus is quick, viewfinder is good (IMO not quite as nice as the VF2 on the GX1) and it feels like a solid well built camera. My wife was using a G3 and always disliked the fact it felt a bit like a toy so she is very happy so far. Guilty admission from us both that the Art effects (kind of like built-in Snapseed filters) are great fun to play with and handy for adding some interest to family snaps before posting them on our blog/Facebook.

We'll probably pick up the grip at some point but not in a rush as it handles very nicely without it.

Had a play with the Oly at SRS in Watford, it's an incredible camera. So my current lenses range from 17-50, 28-105, 55-300, 120-400 and a 100mm macro.

If I have my calculations correct then I need to cover with micro four thirds lenses the range of 12mm - 300mm. I think that the f number is of no consequence, as f2.8 is the same whatever the camera/lens is.

I am selling my Pentax equipment and would like any lens recommendations to cover the above range.

I will purchase the camera with the 12-50 kit lens, as that is a WR type and therefore very handy.

Regards

It actually is of consequence because none of the zoom lenses currently available for mft (apart from the new Panasonic which fat as I am aware is still not for sale) are F2.8 . If anything the long end of the 12-50 (the only mft native lens that is WR) is quite slow at the long end meaning that low light situations are going to be problematic.

I have a K-5 and have been seriously contemplating getting a EM-5 but until I see the performance/price of the Panasonic 2.8 I am not going to.

If I were you I'd look into keeping the Pentax+at least your 2.8 17-50 for fast versatile low light photography and maybe just buy a few primes and something like the 100-300 to fill the long end.

Another shot from the Faroes. On this one I was using a cable release and had the camera in "live bulb" mode ie in manual mode with the shutter speed set to live bulb. As the exposure progresses, the image is shown on the back of the camera every few seconds, so as soon as the exposure looks right you stop the exposure. Awesome - no more guessingor complex calculations with 10 stop ND filters. This is with the excellent 9-18 lens which is fab for wide landscapes, and takes filters unlike the Panasonic 7-14.

Gásadalur by Tobers, on Flickr

Jessop's, wex, amazon, all pre-order, guess they'll get here eventually. The kiwi's must be special.

Has anyone here moved to an OMD from a Panasonic GF2 or similar? A few minutes ago I so nearly hit the order button on an OMD body and 45 f1.8 but I then had a flash of thought - what I am getting for £999 in the OMD body that I don't have in the GF2?
Obviously almost everything is better than it is in the GF2 but is it £999 better?

The OMD would be my travel camera and general take anywhere camera. I like the GF2 but I'm not 100% satisfied that the IQ is quite good enough to satisfy me. However on the other hand the OMD a big chunk of money to shell out, in fact it's easily enough to spend on a holiday! I can very much afford to get the OMD but is it worth it?

Tobers said:
Another shot from the Faroes. On this one I was using a cable release and had the camera in "live bulb" mode ie in manual mode with the shutter speed set to live bulb. As the exposure progresses, the image is shown on the back of the camera every few seconds, so as soon as the exposure looks right you stop the exposure. Awesome - no more guessingor complex calculations with 10 stop ND filters. This is with the excellent 9-18 lens which is fab for wide landscapes, and takes filters unlike the Panasonic 7-14.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tobinators/7407404552/
Gásadalur by Tobers, on Flickr

What a fantastic shot, a work of art

What raw processing software do folks use?

I've been using Lightroom 4.1 initially, but tonight I tried Olympus Viewer 2 software and compared the default raw handling of both and the Olympus software was noticeable better, crisper and superb colour rendition by default

Back