Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone else excited by this camera?

They are doing a free grip when purchasing the camera in April 2012.

DPReview preview here

High ISO looks good even upto 12800 (y)

Last edited:
Yep, had one on pre order as soon as it was announced. Still haven't decide 100% yet as I'm looking at the X-Pro 1 and Nex-7 as well.

NEX lenses seem a little big?

I am hoping the panny 20mm 1.7 will work on the om-d

Nope, used to have a Nex-5n and the size is fine, besides I'll be using it with M mount lenses. Only problem with m4/3 is my VC 15mm becomes a rather slow 30mm.

Your 20mm should be fine although the focus speed will be the same. I've heard the 25mm and 45mm are supposed to be cracking lenses, the 25mm would definitley be first on the list.

I hate waiting around for new cameras.

What M lenses are you using on it? I've been looking at either a NEX-7, XPro or the OM-D to go with the M9 or just buy a 28mm f/2 Summicron if they are all unsuitable.

25mm prime looks good - I'm unsure what to buy and this waiting is very annoying!

I have a Voigtlander 15mm, 40mm and 50mm. I had a play around with X-Pro, it's certainly different to what I'm used to, bigger than expected as well (but not heavy). Not sure how well it will play with M lenses though initial tests say it's good with wide angles.

25mm prime looks good - I'm unsure what to buy and this waiting is very annoying!

Tell me about it! The only problem I have is the justification of spending £1150 on the E-M5 when I could get any of the Panny's at half the price. In fact that would pay for the 25mm right there.

Having said that, it is one handsome looking little fella.

Anyone else excited by this camera?

They are doing a free grip when purchasing the camera in April 2012.

DPReview preview here

High ISO looks good even upto 12800 (y)

Very. There hasn't been anything to tempt me since I got the G1, but the new Oly is right up my street, retro look, metal body and finally an Olympus with an evf.
Don't care if it's no better than any other m43, the looks alone is enough for me.

There are certainly a few cameras that interest me at the moment and NONE of them are available to buy yet !!

Frustrating.

I am also considering the the D800, GX1 and the FUji XPro thingy.

Had another play around with the X-Pro at lunchtime and yes it does have niggles (which camera doesn't) but the image quality is superb.

I would probably end up using the EVF over the OVF though, I'm not used to the parallax view.

I'll be pre ordering an OM-D body only, the 12-50 kit lens although good value when purchased in the kit, does not look that great quality wise. I can't wait to use it with my primes, the 5axisIS coupled with the Oly 45mm will be great.

The Fuji xpro1 really looks like it has some quirks and apart from image quality does not do enough for me to justify the cost and move to another new system.

I'll be pre ordering an OM-D body only, the 12-50 kit lens although good value when purchased in the kit, does not look that great quality wise. I can't wait to use it with my primes, the 5axisIS coupled with the Oly 45mm will be great.

The Fuji xpro1 really looks like it has some quirks and apart from image quality does not do enough for me to justify the cost and move to another new system.

I thought I'd read that it was pretty good IQ wise. For the sake of £150 quid I'd probably go with the kit lens package, if only to have a lens on it for any resale.

Got silver body on order. I noticed that today Amazon UK have changed their delivery info from "will be released on April 1st" to "will be delivered in 1 to 3 months" :eek:

Got silver body on order. I noticed that today Amazon UK have changed their delivery info from "will be released on April 1st" to "will be delivered in 1 to 3 months" :eek:

FFS !!!!

Maybe I'll be able to buy one of the many new cameras by 2013 :shrug:

Glenn Surtees said:

Ouch that does not look good

The free grip offer t&c states that claims must be made by the end of May, they had better get a grip, or we won't!!

Very interested in hearing user reviews once its released. If it's any good I can see myself selling my gh2

Park Cameras told me that the free grip will be sent out by them with the camera and does not have to be claimed for. :shrug:

I can't say I believed them, just have to wait and see.

Ordered mine last week, body only. Reviews on the 12-50 not that encouraging.

Came across this on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUn3caMLay0

Last edited:
Dave in Wales said:
Park Cameras told me that the free grip will be sent out by them with the camera and does not have to be claimed for. :shrug:

I can't say I believed them, just have to wait and see.

Ordered mine last week, body only. Reviews on the 12-50 not that encouraging.

Came across this on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUn3caMLay0

That's interesting from park cameras, makes the whole process a little better

Question........On my G3, I can using my finger, position the focus point anywhere on the screen that I desire, it's a great feature.

Can the OM-D do the same, I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Olympus are coming into work (Park Cameras) on friday 31st for staff training on the OM-D, Can't wait!!!! I would love one but money is super tight this year so may wait until early next year at which time the price will have dropped to a reasonable level. It does look awesome!

FFS !!!!

Maybe I'll be able to buy one of the many new cameras by 2013 :shrug:

They are due in at the end of April...apparently!

Yeah!! I'll have to ask them on Friday. I expect they realise this and will hopefully extend the offer but we will have to wait and see.

Update re Grip.

Park Cameras have admitted that they got it wrong.

They will not be sending out the free grip with the camera it will have to be redeemen.

As I think we all suspected.

Last edited:
So... Any more updates / rumours on when the OM-D will actually be available?
Andy - Does "end of April" still stand for Park Cameras??

SteveA said:
So... Any more updates / rumours on when the OM-D will actually be available?
Andy - Does "end of April" still stand for Park Cameras??

Just went onto park cameras site and the OMD seems to have vanished!

I went to SRS yesterday and they had an open day with a pre-production OM-D available to play. The really nice and patient Olympus rep suggested that pre-orders will start getting filled by the 16th of April, however the folks at SRS seemed to doubt that...

I made a thread (or thought I did anyway but it never appeared so might have never clicked the button to make it) about it yesterday as I had a few minutes to play with the camera and overall I think it is a great piece of kit.

I only found a couple of things annoying and they were just annoying no deal breakers:

The camera without any grip is uncomfortable to hold, first because it is too flat and second because the strap holders protrude too much and are on the way of my hand.

I did not care much for the size of the kit lens, the rep suggested they made it to compete with the 14-42 X from pana, but I can't see the comparison. It feels great to use, the AF is superb and the pictures zoomed in looked sharp but it is MASSIVE compared to the OMD body and very slow at the long end (6.3 ...).

The buttons will be a pain to use for people with larger fingers, no question about it as they are absolutely tiny, it is definitely a camera for small/med sized hands.

Other than that though it is fantastic checking again some pictures from my GX1 it has visible noise even at 800, the noise is similar to what the OMD produced at 1600-2000....

If it was a 150-200£ less I'd buy it then and there but I need a bit of time before I can justify an expense of over £1500 for body plus a couple of decent lenses especially since I have a nice bunch of lenses for my K-5 setup which is going nowhere as it is fantastic!

I've preordered my OMD body (black) today, plus registered for the free grip. Ordered on Amazon, delivery estimate was 1-3 months :(

I've preordered my OMD body (black) today, plus registered for the free grip. Ordered on Amazon, delivery estimate was 1-3 months :(

I saw on another forum that Amazon UK e-mailed someone with a despatch date of April 23rd (y)

Back