Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

anyone used / using a voigtlander f0.95 ? I know they're MF but i was considering hiring one for a few days to have a play. I've looked on Mu-43 and they look OK..maybe a bit'll drive me nuts but might be worth a go ?

25mm?

If it's the 25mm you're interested in I had one and was very impressed. Very well made, lovely to use and good quality right across the frame and it focuses quite close too. I stupidly sold mine as I wasn't using it much and regretted it ever since. One of the best lenses I've ever used.

Yes, 25mm. I'm just looking for something 'extra' and fancied having a try.

It really is a very nicely made lens, it just looks and feels worth the money :D I was silly to sell mine.

or maybe i wont...£39 to hire it for 5 days then nigh on £30 for delivery. For a whim, i wont be doing that

That's a beauty Gary. Stunning sky caught expertly.

I'm a week into E-M5ii ownership and thoroughly enjoying it. I do think I need to get a wrist strap though. The standard strap is getting in the way when using a tripod and my Black Rapid seems overkill.

Do you guys have any recommendations for a wrist strap? Never used one before so have no preconceived ideas. I guess under £30 would be nice though and it obviously needs to be secure and comfortable.

I'm a week into E-M5ii ownership and thoroughly enjoying it. I do think I need to get a wrist strap though. The standard strap is getting in the way when using a tripod and my Black Rapid seems overkill.

Do you guys have any recommendations for a wrist strap? Never used one before so have no preconceived ideas. I guess under £30 would be nice though and it obviously needs to be secure and comfortable.
I've ordered a Joby wrist strap. It looks really good but hasn't arrived yet. When it arrives I'll post my thoughts on it with my em1

Peak design clutch.

Again, on Mu43.com there are a lot of people who spend an uncomfortable amount of time dwelling on wrist straps. Very fashion conscious, some are.

I have a cheap jjc quick release wrist strap attached to one lug. It has the same quick release attachment as my shoulder sling. Which I use most of the time when out. The wrist strap only gets used at home or when out in the car. Unclip one, and clip the other one on.

I was bought a couple of peak design straps (wrist and thin extendable neck one) for Christmas after a bit of prompting. They are really comfy and unobtrusive. Not cheap though

I've ordered a Joby wrist strap. It looks really good but hasn't arrived yet. When it arrives I'll post my thoughts on it with my em1

Cheers. Would appreciate that.

Ignore that. Just seen your update. I'll add that one to the list of possibilities then.

This Joby one I mentioned, arrived today, great design and very comfy. Seems very sturdy
I used to use one of those on my EM1, I found it excellent

I used to have a Sigma 30mm f1.4 for my APS-C Canon DSLR's. It was an excellent lens and I fully expect this latest lens to be excellent too.

Well captured Steve as they are usually a tad nervous at this time of year - at least they are round here!

Here's a question I can't find an answer to elsewhere:

I'm going to be tackling some star trail shots with foreground interest.

In the past on a DSLR, I'd use multiple high iso shots and then stack them afterwards. The stacking largely eliminates noise.

My E-M5ii has live composite mode which does this stuff in camera but I'm concerned that the result might be noisier as it'll be one long exposure rather than stacked exposures? Or is it in fact the latter? What's the best approach for a clean image?

i cant remember which mode it was... on my A7Rii we have this node it takes 3 to 5 shots stacks them for a noiseless nightshot.... I'm pretty sure Olympus has it also as they seem to have everything. Handheld nightshot maybe ?

i cant remember which mode it was... on my A7Rii we have this node it takes 3 to 5 shots stacks them for a noiseless nightshot.... I'm pretty sure Olympus has it also as they seem to have everything. Handheld nightshot maybe ?

There are a few options but just trying to get my head on how they work. My understand is:

1. Traditional DSLR method. Record a handful of shots at correct exposure and stack them afterwards using averaging
  2. Live bulb mode - Which I understand is for single exposures and allows you to preview the exposure periodically aas it builds
  3. Live composite mode - Which I now assume (counter to my earlier post) is the camera stacking several images itself using averaging
Have I got that right?

Graham this may help

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3642609

Olympus really does have the best of everything for nightwork and light painting etc

Cheers. Just found this as well which is useful.

http://www.creativeislandphoto.com/blog/olympus-live-composites-star-trails

I think I have understood it right, Live composites are stacked images so should give the same sort of output as stacking the images offline. Much more pleasing and convenient being able to do it live though. Looking forward to trying that out.

Here's a question I can't find an answer to elsewhere:

I'm going to be tackling some star trail shots with foreground interest.

In the past on a DSLR, I'd use multiple high iso shots and then stack them afterwards. The stacking largely eliminates noise.

My E-M5ii has live composite mode which does this stuff in camera but I'm concerned that the result might be noisier as it'll be one long exposure rather than stacked exposures? Or is it in fact the latter? What's the best approach for a clean image?

The only restriction I've found (and i'm happy to be corrected) is a minimum shutter speed, which I think is 1/2 of a second so it should be perfectly fine for star trail but you have to choose the shutter speed in the dedicated live comp. screen, not the usual liveview screen. On the live view screen, you can only adjust the ISO and aperture. Sometimes if movement is fast (a tree blowing or clouds) you'll get a blocky looking image, due to the shutter/processing. I'd experiment with the shutter speed/image capture speed first of all. The one real positive is the fully composited image can be a raw file, so full tweaking to your choice. It also helps seeing the composite building up on the screen when the shutter is open.

Edit : I'm struggling to find the images I'd taken in this mode, but I do remember them being very clean.

Last edited:
So does the stacking algorithm take account of star movement, or would it simply produce a star trail picture? I've done some star stacks using Deep Sky Stacker which takes the movement into account to give a non-trailed result - can the Olympus do that in camera?

I have the o25 but am hankering after a 1.4.....or maybe a 1.2 when Olympus release them in a few months

Back