Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I did a basic reset and I still could not slect it.
I did a full reset and now I can select it without changing anything in the menu.

It doesnt help me much though as I do not know what I had done. Though it could just be user error looking again.

It could also have been some camera error.

Anyway I presume you now have to get all your settings back to how you like them. I'm glad I wrote mine down.

It could also have been some camera error.

Anyway I presume you now have to get all your settings back to how you like them. I'm glad I wrote mine down.
I dont change much so its not too bad.

Alf why would it not let you select the 1/2 sec, its not greyed out?
I am not sure but it does now after the reset.

I could change that and when hit OK it just stayed on that setting instead of switching on hi res with that setting.

Any of you guys using Formatt HiTech or Lee Seven5 Filter systems (ND grads and / or stoppers)? Would appreciate your feedback on IQ and colour casts if you are :)

Cheers,

Simon.

Any of you guys using Formatt HiTech or Lee Seven5 Filter systems (ND grads and / or stoppers)? Would appreciate your feedback on IQ and colour casts if you are :)

Cheers,

Simon.
I use HiTech 85 mm filters they are very good.

Any problems with unwanted casts when stacking them Alf? Any reason to choose the 85mm ones over the 67mm ones?
I had some 85 mm Cokin filters so I went for 85 mm. Though I considering 100 mm as when I have filters on and I add the polarisers it vignettes with the 12-40 so I reckon it will worse with my 9-18mm and I want 7-14 mm and I have seen a 100 mm filter holder for it.

Any colour casts are minimal I am happy with them.

I had some 85 mm Cokin filters so I went for 85 mm. Though I considering 100 mm as when I have filters on and I add the polarisers it vignettes with the 12-40 so I reckon it will worse with my 9-18mm and I want 7-14 mm and I have seen a 100 mm filter holder for it.

Any colour casts are minimal I am happy with them.

Thanks Alf. That's really useful.

Cheers,

Simon.

I noticed recently my images have been looking weird in Lightroom (5.7). I noticed my defaults have all changed once I import the raw file - No sharpening, no noise reduction. Even weirder my "as shot" white balance is completely off, it's giving a very strong green cast. I've tried changing the defaults on LR, I've checked the colour creator, WB, WB warmth, sRGB, etc settings on my e-m10 but I can't seem to get my old settings. I'm convinced I could select more auto white balance options in LR (as shot/warm/cloudy/etc) or am I making this up? I'll give the E-m10 a reset tonight and hope it can help.

Edit : ... Nevermind, I've been shooting in small Jpeg for the past 2 weeks without knowing it. Oh dear.

Last edited:
So my EM5ii arrived :D

Initial impressions are:

The shutter sound is gorgeous
I get much less camera movement when I press the shutter compared to the EM1 as I am effectively squishing the release into my hand whereas the EM1 is off axis so puts a twist on the camera. This sounds like a small think but think will transpire to be really important.
The 12-40 is a little big for it but I'll manage but the 40-150 is fine as a support the lens not the camera
It lacks the simplicity of the EM10 which I really liked but when I get used to the button placement I think it will be ok and also if this is to be my main camera then a few extra controls will be needed
Flippy screen - meh. Although I like the option to have it facing inwards.
Dials are nicer than the EM1
IBIS seems to work a treat, can't really say if it's any better than the EM1 though - not used it enough.
I am not disappointed I didn't get the Pen-F (yet :D)

And on that note, I've been playing with a few Pen-F raw files in Lightroom and they seem pretty nice, highlight recovery doesn't seem that much improved but shadows push very nicely.

yeah, the ability to push the shadows isn't fantastic on the E-M1 is it ? they get a bit mushy

yeah, the ability to push the shadows isn't fantastic on the E-M1 is it ? they get a bit mushy

They do, but from memory the EM10 was a fair bit better in that respect so I have hopes for the EM5ii - time will tell.

Actually, just for giggles here's a couple of crops of a shot I took yesterday of our black cat Leo @ISO1000.

All I have done is import (with Oly Camera Natural profile), standard sharpening of 25 (no sharpening on export) and zero noise reduction. What I have done is push the shadows to 100 and made some hefty crops, that's it.

That's not bad I reckon.

Yq8Pgl0UC7GPVa5AheIAQGqzOE6mQ85SU2n8fe7sfj4SiM4k60lGpS7yDG_nsBC_6uUjcwFNaOpjz-rvyk9pQqB0jOw4ORcjeSv_pcO0h9mV6I3fV1n6LBi0cZTZMHriO7ZBIOpqV8KnaUEQdtAZzeULajfgoPFwojopablIjYAqz5-cB92zr_O_kuWFN6YOH6uC1s0IbHegrFLEGRB1qQip6MgerrWVGwKh4G5SyY9uPgGECjOC4B3gpaFkw_5K6999Y2e1vj3Htot5Zo4TrIcmTbzsGh-gVMpNfNFl9f7465A4doIHDC2hEWW5gn8ehGClt4_UKxz_tM4wODG4xjbzmr6DJh0wvRFFtNb-xGZ-fevdXhFc7dKM7qNDphZmajs-pSL6NTu_wKDN7ll4Ou0aa5LU1wm3lA-On7HfbPSbxlf-3vKQWL81cX9UL2Neh2enKhciRsXOGaiZKyaJjgqlh5RhUmfp8B0TumJHeVYEqnLZqKjNwuYVK2KXvZgAiF-nNV818Pkmjk1VYTx8cZloKDuzt1hc-jQ3zM1I9GlKTML9O17n1zDsfld7ZajUHJREJA=w2948-h2360-no

dhvjX1x2M6vZyDtwbQDCcMMmM8UiKmVUO9jRMTiReJvh_tKnJQ1jDQtqYeBJcmsM_ZVcXAm-LSpPm7ABbgQYRgf39I2K-2PcKjMigHw_mgyzRBASvn5lO5McOWJyOPU2j9jJX-_-zm5JpFBtb5ejznbR5YzFWopdxL5BHinDbOP-pACczhTsMQ2WDsfpGHyU05MZZgNewlAlMT8E43JOSkGOYb-7H_HWAKviL5ffIRgXWE88ySY6U9HQDAxYUScWgwxIDQCWc5bt4NwP0b6Z9c0TjXfSZCQsA8SZ5VvbrzUjpVMrd-IxzhxcY7_TbkAyFZN64K5rge5OC_qWBElR_yK19_Zk3iXS6Xld4C0s0YVBJYr35QpuBlLPabZu3jWXlyqUC3aqORVdpFRRYprWUkFWE_sybbqi8iJiYqK2bc4OQCKeIAE2h2Qa5bE6AA2YvVzgZLJtBw676p51cVxSddPXQ-4mP-1lpfKhwPmaqgWRlzj_svNfv25xmwslFsLYZtkNL3wPCmSpanb4FtHLL7Yw7NfXwxUrxzHQ6CzlK7fkkiz-LP_NhFN8khuc411GWSThIA=w1540-h1147-no

Has anyone tried using a long (20 metre) USB repeater lead with the EM1/EM5/EM10 connected to a laptop running the Olympus capture software?

Not sure if I'm missing something but my auto white balance on my em1 and em10 is miles different, especially under artificial light light the em10 seems a long way out. Any ideas please?

Just been looking on the net and MFT is being treated to various new lenses.

300mm Olympus.
30mm Sigma f1.4
Panasonic 12-60mm 3.5-5.6

Just read on the OM-D Owners UK Facebook page that the 30mm is in stock and a chap has one, sounds stunningly good so far. Another f1.4 lens, cannot wait to see Olympus offerings.

Oh what a wonderful time to have just moved over to MFT and Olympus :banana:

Last edited:
Just been looking on the net and MFT is being treated to various new lenses.

300mm Olympus.
30mm Sigma f1.4
Panasonic 12-60mm 3.5-5.6

Just read on the OM-D Owners UK Facebook page that the 30mm is in stock and a chap has one, sounds stunningly good so far. Another f1.4 lens, cannot wait to see Olympus offerings.

Oh what a wonderful time to have just moved over to MFT and Olympus :banana:

Not to mention some olly 1.2's on the way. :)

No reviews that I could find yesterday damianmkv

My tripod has died :-(

What is everyone using? I've got a fairly heavy duty one at the moment but clearly I don't need it with my em1.

My tripod has died :-(

What is everyone using? I've got a fairly heavy duty one at the moment but clearly I don't need it with my em1.
What sort of price and what sort of usage.

Light usage (some night stuff occasionally) and not more than £100.

Well worth taking a look at the Suriu range (most likely found on ebay). I've not tried one but they're very well regarded and have a decent range for most pockets. Also worth looking at the mefoto stuff.

Both of those options might creep up over £100 but there is plenty of stuff from Red Snapper, Giottos, Manfrotto etc available for less too.

It's safer to go and handle one to be sure its the right size and nice to use. A big DSLR sized one will get left at home. I played with my Manfrotto at a trade show and bought it online for half the price of the shops. They've changed their line-up since and no longer offer it. But being the right size, it can be slung with it's shoulder strap out of the way so I can carry it all day without noticing.

Back