Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Has anyone compared an Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 R against a Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm f/4-5.6 ASPH. MEGA O.I.S. ?

Many moons ago I tested both, I can’t remember the details but I do remember that after using both for a week or so I kept the Oly and sold the Panasonic.

anyone use a grip on their EM10 I or ii, seem to be 2, the Oly and Fotodiox .

if I buy the Fotodiox 1from amazon.com its about £25 cheaper than from amazon uk,inc postage

I use the Olympus grip on my em10 Mk1 which vastly improves the feel of the camera in the hand, very secure but doesn't actually weigh very much, so it lives on the camera all the time. It's easy to remove as well with a spring loaded lever recessed underneath for access to the battery bay. Mine came secondhand from MPB, they turn up every now and again so worth keeping an eye out.

anyone use a grip on their EM10 I or ii, seem to be 2, the Oly and Fotodiox .

if I buy the Fotodiox 1from amazon.com its about £25 cheaper than from amazon uk,inc postage
I don't have a 10 but I have used my mates and for any but the smallest lenses I would say it's not necessary but would be good with the 12-40 mm f2.8

Yes, I have both and they are both very good for the price. The Panasonic has a more solid build (metal mount, less plastic) than the Olympus (all plastic) but the Olympus is lighter. My copy of the Panasonic sometimes fails to acquire focus, something that has not happened to me with the Olympus (I use primarily Olympus bodies). You can't really go wrong with either of these IMO.

Thanks Maarten

OK, can anyone fathom this out? When I post my Nikon shots to this forum my pics always look over sharpened compared to what they do on my original files and on Flickr, yet my Olympus files look softer than they do on my computer and on Flickr. Both are exported from Lightroom using the same settings, and both are posted on here using the BBcode from Flickr. It's baffling me :confused:
Hi snerkler
My guess would be it's to do with how Flickr resizes the embedded image from the original file you've posted there.
What are the image sizes from the two cameras and what Flickr sizes are you posting them here using BBCode?

Hi snerkler
My guess would be it's to do with how Flickr resizes the embedded image from the original file you've posted there.
What are the image sizes from the two cameras and what Flickr sizes are you posting them here using BBCode?
That's the odd thing, images from both cameras are exported from LR at the same size, 2048px IIRC. I then use the largest medium size BBCode

You say the same size - in both dimensions?
Surely the D750 is 3:2 and the E-M1 4:3 ?

I know this is weird but in computing strange things abound in algorithms.
I used to work in 3D graphics and if we applied a bitmap texture (a digital image file) to a 3D object making sure the dimensions of the image were a power of two (128x128, 256x512 etc.) made a dramatic difference to the frames per second. We would squash the aspect ratio to fit the size limit then stretch them out on the model to the correct ratio.

My guess would be that Flickr is doing some messy but fast resize of your original image, perhaps applying some file size limits etc.to keep performance and bandwidth under control.

If you can be bothered you could try cropping images from both to the same aspect ratios and pixel sizes - 4:3 and 3:2 then embed them to see if there's a difference?

You say the same size - in both dimensions?
Surely the D750 is 3:2 and the E-M1 4:3 ?

I know this is weird but in computing strange things abound in algorithms.
I used to work in 3D graphics and if we applied a bitmap texture (a digital image file) to a 3D object making sure the dimensions of the image were a power of two (128x128, 256x512 etc.) made a dramatic difference to the frames per second. We would squash the aspect ratio to fit the size limit then stretch them out on the model to the correct ratio.

My guess would be that Flickr is doing some messy but fast resize of your original image, perhaps applying some file size limits etc.to keep performance and bandwidth under control.

If you can be bothered you could try cropping images from both to the same aspect ratios and pixel sizes - 4:3 and 3:2 then embed them to see if there's a difference?
Ahh yes, they won't be the same size will they due to the aspect ratio, the export size is only limited by the longest edge. I might give it a go at some point (y)

That's my worst fear :puke:

Couple of questions for Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II users.

I've seen lots of videos saying how good 5 axis stabilisation is on video. Is it just as good on photos?

Can you get adapters for it so I could use a Canon macro on it or a Sigma lens (e mount)? If yes does the stabilisation work with non Olympus lenses?

Couple of questions for Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II users.

I've seen lots of videos saying how good 5 axis stabilisation is on video. Is it just as good on photos?

Can you get adapters for it so I could use a Canon macro on it or a Sigma lens (e mount)? If yes does the stabilisation work with non Olympus lenses?

Yes it does work very well for stills.
You can get an adapter to use Canon lenses. Which lens are you wanting to usr.
Yes the IS will work with any lens.
I would recommend flash for macro rather than IS.

Last edited:
Yes it does work very well for stills.
You can get an adapter to use Canon lenses. Which lens are you wanting to usr.
Yes the IS will work with any lens.
I would recommend flash for macro rather than IS.

Thanks.

It's a Canon EF 100 mm F 2.8 L macro lens

The e mount lenses are Sigma 19mm and a Sigma 60mm

You can get AF adapters for Canon lenses, I don't know which lenses they work best with as I know nothing about Canon lenses, I don't think they work with the STM lenses maybe?

What would you good people suggest for a good budget first prime lens for the Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II?
The only thing I've found so far is a Olympus 45mm f1.8 Lens. Is that any good?

What would you good people suggest for a good budget first prime lens for the Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II?

I don't own the 45 1.8 yet, been thinking on it though, supposed to be a great lens. I can vouch for the Panasonic 25mm 1.7 though, cracking little prime for the money.

The 45mm is great for the money. Wide open it's not the sharpest, but it does render nicely and for the money it's very good.

I don't own the 45 1.8 yet, been thinking on it though, supposed to be a great lens. I can vouch for the Panasonic 25mm 1.7 though, cracking little prime for the money.
I'll second that. Got the 25mm 1.7 a couple of weeks ago, and it's very impressivefor the price.

Another vote for the Panasonic 25mm f1.7. I also own the Olympus 45mm f1.8 but I find the 25mm a much more useful field of view as a walk about lens.

I have the 17mm f2.8 and now the f1.8 version - this is my go to walkabout lens. The f2.8 is compact and pretty cheap used, the f1.8 is a bit too pricey even used to be considered "budget" but if I had to choose only one prime that would be it.

Back