Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

This is great help :)
Thanks everyone
Worth bearing in mind that a good lens is useless if it's a field of view/focal length you don't use.
If you're using the 14-42mm kit zoom it's worth looking at what you've shot that you like and the focal lengths used.
There's no point in buying a 45mm if you mostly shoot at 14mm or a 17mm if you're routinely at 42mm.

FWIW I put my Flickr stuff into albums based on the lens and body
https://www.flickr.com/photos/amcuk/albums

Worth bearing in mind that a good lens is useless if it's a field of view/focal length you don't use.
If you're using the 14-42mm kit zoom it's worth looking at what you've shot that you like and the focal lengths used.
There's no point in buying a 45mm if you mostly shoot at 14mm or a 17mm if you're routinely at 42mm.

FWIW I put my Flickr stuff into albums based on the lens and body
https://www.flickr.com/photos/amcuk/albums

Brilliant. Thanks :clap:

I know a similar question was asked recently but I can't find it, but can anyone recommend a cheap Nikon to micro 4/3 adapter please? I don't need AF, but the ability to change aperture would be needed. I fancy trying my Sigma 105mm f2.8 Macro on my EM1, but it's not something I'd use a lot so don't want to spend much.

I know a similar question was asked recently but I can't find it, but can anyone recommend a cheap Nikon to micro 4/3 adapter please? I don't need AF, but the ability to change aperture would be needed. I fancy trying my Sigma 105mm f2.8 Macro on my EM1, but it's not something I'd use a lot so don't want to spend much.

Actually, I’m interested in one with autofocus, if there is one, so any info on adaptors would be welcome. (Sorry for post piggyback!)

AFAIK the only adapters with AF are for Canon mount to M43, and they only work well with higher end Canon lenses.

For Nikon G-type lenses [no aperture ring] this K&F concept adapter is about as good as you'll get: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-Micro-Thirds-Concept®-Adapter/dp/B06X6NGF3H/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1517993808&sr=8-2&keywords=Nikon+to+m43

I had one for Fuji mount and used my old Sigma 150mm macro lens with it. The aperture adjustment isn't marked of course, to suit any G lens. It does allow you to stop down and open up aperture but in between it's a bit of guess work as to where it's set precisely. Image quality is unaffected as usual with glass-less adapters.

Well had confirmation that my EM5 II and 14-150 II has been delivered from E global. Cant wait to use it. What's peoples opinion on the 12-40 is it worth it?

Well had confirmation that my EM5 II and 14-150 II has been delivered from E global. Cant wait to use it. What's peoples opinion on the 12-40 is it worth it?

Even as a dedicated Fuji user, the Olympus 12-40 F2.8 Pro is a staggering piece of glass, very sharp, great range of working distances, can even be pressed into macro use, and quite flare resistant.

I love the 12-40mm f2.8, my most used lens on my Olympus. I much prefer it to the 24-70mm f2.8 that I had for my Nikon D750 (apart from the obvious lack of shallow DOF ;))

Over the years the 12-40 is probably my most used lens, the 12-100 had recently taken over from it (on my E-M1 MkII) but the 12-40 still gets outings on my Pen-F and the E-M1 occasionally when I want to keep the kit more compact.
I had a Lumix 12-35 before but overall the 12-40 is the better performer (between my two copies).

It will be sharper and have less CA than the 14-150, but I'd suggest purchasing a ECG-2 grip or similar as it will provide a better platform.

Even as a dedicated Fuji user, the Olympus 12-40 F2.8 Pro is a staggering piece of glass, very sharp, great range of working distances, can even be pressed into macro use, and quite flare resistant.
Thanks for that David I did have the fuji system and have had the 16-55 which was excellent. Not expecting the 12-40 to be as good but going of what you have said sounds like I won't be disappointed.

Over the years the 12-40 is probably my most used lens, the 12-100 had recently taken over from it (on my E-M1 MkII) but the 12-40 still gets outings on my Pen-F and the E-M1 occasionally when I want to keep the kit more compact.
I had a Lumix 12-35 before but overall the 12-40 is the better performer (between my two copies).
Thanks for that appreciate your comments

It will be sharper and have less CA than the 14-150, but I'd suggest purchasing a ECG-2 grip or similar as it will provide a better platform.
That's a definite as I've just opened it and it's tiny but well built piece of kit. Battery now charging.

Anyone with the em5ii, can you confirm if you can move the af point via the touchscreen whilst through viewfinder. I could when I had an m10ii but can't seem to find anything online?

Bigger sensor on xt2 but tbh don't think there is that much in it these days.

Barely, and this is why your 12-40 is smaller/neater, it doesn't need to be a huge chunk to remain constant 2.8 in a tidy zoom. This, is one of the many reasons to go for M43. Stop comparing and you will enjoy it more. APSC is muck towards FF to some elite nubends, do you care? No, so why care about sensor size at all if you're going to buy into it? If you really want to get anal about it, do some direct comparisons. I did just before I sold my Fuji gear, and I was pleasantly surprised tbh, since I shoot RAW and PP all images no matter the format, I find very little difference in general.

Last edited:
Yes you can,i have david thorpes book and can confirm,actually might have been on his video
Hmm. I can't see a way to activate the touchscreen when your eye is at the active viewfinder.

I'd thought I'd read this capability came out in an EM10 after the EM5ii was already out.
It was added in a firmware upgrade to the newer Pen-F, in May last year.

Last edited:
Anyone with the em5ii, can you confirm if you can move the af point via the touchscreen whilst through viewfinder. I could when I had an m10ii but can't seem to find anything online?

Yes you can,i have david thorpes book and can confirm,actually might have been on his video

Hmm. I can't see a way to activate the touchscreen when your eye is at the active viewfinder.

I'd thought I'd read this capability came out in an EM10 after the EM5ii was already out.
It was added in a firmware upgrade to the newer Pen-F, in May last year.

You can't.

Apparently the EM5ii doesn't have the hardware to allow it, the EM10ii was the first Oly camera to have that feature.

You can, of course select, the focus point whilst not using the viewfinder but when looking through the VF, no.

You can't.

Apparently the EM5ii doesn't have the hardware to allow it, the EM10ii was the first Oly camera to have that feature.

You can, of course select, the focus point whilst not using the viewfinder but when looking through the VF, no.
Thanks no wonder I couldn't find it! Best read the manual tonight!!

Barely, and this is why your 12-40 is smaller/neater, it doesn't need to be a huge chunk to remain constant 2.8 in a tidy zoom. This, is one of the many reasons to go for M43. Stop comparing and you will enjoy it more. APSC is muck towards FF to some elite nubends, do you care? No, so why care about sensor size at all if you're going to buy into it? If you really want to get anal about it, do some direct comparisons. I did just before I sold my Fuji gear, and I was pleasantly surprised tbh, since I shoot RAW and PP all images no matter the format, I find very little difference in general.
This is the reason I've come back to olympus from Fuji, the smaller format and cheaper lenses. Also the em10ii was probably the camera that I had the most fun with doing photography.

Hmm maybe im getting confused with the em10ii.i will try and find what i thought was the answer.thanks
Just seen Nawtys post.i apologise for my confusion

Last edited:

Yes you can Andy.

Being left master eyed if the screen is open my nose sometimes moves the focus points when I don't want it moved.

Consequently I now shoot with the screen closed unless live view is needed.

Thanks would that make a 45 1.8 redundant?
Depends if you want the more shallow DOF. I have the 45mm but rarely use it tbh, but then I'm not generally a prime user anyway.

Thanks would that make a 45 1.8 redundant?

Depends if you want the more shallow DOF. I have the 45mm but rarely use it tbh, but then I'm not generally a prime user anyway.

If it's redundant for you is a subjective decision :)

The 45mm f..8 is a tiny bit longer focal length and a bit faster, a deal smaller and lighter and a lot cheaper :)
As snerkler says I have the 45 and it's a lovely thing but I don't use it much.
I've not gone for the 12-40 because of its size (and cost) it depends on you! ;)

Last edited:
Back