Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Oly bodies do correct CA, they are automatically applied even with raw files although that can sometimes not be enough in extreme conditions (my 17 1.8 springs to mind). Never noticed CA on my 40-150 though and certainly not that bad.

Something in my head is saying on lateral CA (purple/blue) is corrected and not vertical (green/red) or maybe they other way around.

Edit: they definitely apply distortion correction, that’s vital for the lens design which are designed on the assumption you can correct so they can focus on other qualities.
Where are you getting the info about CA's?

Done a little searching myself, seems the Em1 was the first to include on board corrections. The em5 does not have this feature. This will explain why none of you experienced it with this particular lens. I'll try shoot some samples later

Yeah saw this when searching. Also on a list of differences between the MK1 and mkII:

Latest processor
: The TruePic VII compensates for lens aberrations, most notably removing colour fringing from lateral chromatic aberration
Read more at http://www.amateurphotographer.co.u...i-and-the-om-d-e-m5-44571#XCgjzlO7VL69GlhY.99

And here, shows the same issue with the old 12-50mm kit lens: https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/omd-em5/omd-em5A4.HTM

Last edited:
And a fun one from tonight.

Project 365 - 049/365: BEDFORD ISN'T SH*T
One from tonight of Bedford Town Bridge and the Swan Hotel with a little light paint practice with the pixelstick.
I was inspired by an article in our local Bedford Clanger independent paper last September about the positive things this town has to offer.

049 - Bedford isn't sh*t by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Good idea - I guess the writing on the sign isn't purple ( unless it's my iPad ) so perhaps some PP to remove ?

Any room for an E-PL8 user here? I know it's a blogging camera but it's a little gem with the 14-42mm kit lens. NYC last week...
That Chrysler Building shot is cracking!

No objections from me though I'm not the owner of anything :)
I moved up from an E-PL5 a few years ago. The PEN cameras have so much in common I can't see any real distinction bar the EVF and the PEN F has one of those now... :)

Agreed, the Chrysler building shot is great. I wonder if a smidge of dehaze in Lightroom might enhance it just a touch?

Agreed, the Chrysler building shot is great. I wonder if a smidge of dehaze in Lightroom might enhance it just a touch?

I'll give it a tinker, I dislike editing as much as I enjoy shooting (which is why I love stuff like Live Comp, I'd be clueless doing that manually in photoshop).

I'll give it a tinker, I dislike editing as much as I enjoy shooting (which is why I love stuff like Live Comp, I'd be clueless doing that manually in photoshop).
It'd just be interesting as it'd get rid of that slight haze. Might look better, might not ;)

Last edited:
Tried a bit of a miniature effect on one of my Flatiron Building pics from New York last year.
(looks more noticeable on Flickr)

PB293182-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

In LR the lens profile when ticking the box says for the 12-40 is built in.
As it doesn't say this when ticking the CA box, can I assume CA isn't built in also?or is it?
thanks
ok sorry just noticed another box comes up if clicking the info button and it says CA also

Last edited:
A couple from our back garden earlier.
Both with the 300 f/4 and MC-14.

Maybe not what you expected.. ;)

Focus by Huw Prosser, on Flickr

Freedom by Huw Prosser, on Flickr

Thanks for looking :)

I really like these. I run a Canon system and have recently added an Olympus system; I haven't taken the plunge on this lens - hesitating because of the AF - have you always used Olympus for BIF?

I really like these. I run a Canon system and have recently added an Olympus system; I haven't taken the plunge on this lens - hesitating because of the AF - have you always used Olympus for BIF?

Thanks, glad you like them.
I don't do a whole lot of BIF but I find my E-M1 MkII works well both with the 40-150 and 300 (with or without the MC-14). I don't use tracking just C-AF.
I have run other systems in the past (but neither Canon or Nikon).

It does say it is if you click the i button.do you have LR? If so have a look and see what you think
I went around the houses with this recently.
I was wondering why all my new E-M10 Mkii images under "Camera Calibration>Profile" had defaulted to "Adobe Standard" not "Camera Natural" as my E-M10 had.
I also queried why "Remove Chromatic Aberration" wasn't set either.
The upshot was that I must have set up the import settings for the other camera but not for the new one.

I discovered you can at least copy/paste this under "Copy Settings" and check the boxes for "Lens Corrections>Chromatic aberration" and "Calibration" at the bottom of the same column of fields.

It's still not entirely clear to me if checking the "Remove Chromatic Aberrations" box is redundant but I can't see it hurting. I rarely see them anyway :)

(Using the final standalone version of LR)

Capture.JPG Capture2.JPG

Early reports on the 1mk11 firmware update say the improved C-AF is noticeable, any opinions after updating would be appreciated.

I went around the houses with this recently.
I was wondering why all my new E-M10 Mkii images under "Camera Calibration>Profile" had defaulted to "Adobe Standard" not "Camera Natural" as my E-M10 had.
I also queried why "Remove Chromatic Aberration" wasn't set either.
The upshot was that I must have set up the import settings for the other camera but not for the new one.

I discovered you can at least copy/paste this under "Copy Settings" and check the boxes for "Lens Corrections>Chromatic aberration" and "Calibration" at the bottom of the same column of fields.

It's still not entirely clear to me if checking the "Remove Chromatic Aberrations" box is redundant but I can't see it hurting. I rarely see them anyway :)

(Using the final standalone version of LR)

View attachment 121087 View attachment 121088

The lens profile settings are automatically applied and you can't remove them (in LR), hence they are greyed out.

I only started to notice it more so just recently tbh, since that ball of fire in the sky has begun to show itself and provide back/side lighting. Maybe I should get a hood for it to cut out some of that strong side light when shooting through the window.
I always use a lens hood especially with zooms but I even purchase them for my primes.
First thing I was taught by my mentor some 60years ago was to always use a hood or if you don’t have one shield the front element to prevent flare.
They also act as a good protector of you front element especially if you don’t use a filter. :)

Back