Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Nice. What profile are you using in PP? In lightroom for example camera natural has a lot more contrast by default than adobe standard which enhances the colours.
No pp done yet and my Adobe subscription has expired. Can you do in camera pp with RAW like you can on a Fuji ? Literally only opened the box earlier today, did a very quick set up and went out shooting. I did notice a "vibrant" setting but wanted to try everything in default mode to start with before tweaking.

No pp done yet and my Adobe subscription has expired. Can you do in camera pp with RAW like you can on a Fuji ? Literally only opened the box earlier today, did a very quick set up and went out shooting. I did notice a "vibrant" setting but wanted to try everything in default mode to start with before tweaking.
I think you can do raw edit in camera but I’m not 100%. I’ve tweaked my jpeg settings in camera as they need a contrast and saturation boost to suit my tastes.

I think you can do raw edit in camera but I’m not 100%. I’ve tweaked my jpeg settings in camera as they need a contrast and saturation boost to suit my tastes.
I think I will need to do the same coming from Fuji....thanks for the tip

I think I will need to do the same coming from Fuji....thanks for the tip
Tbh I shoot RAW anyway but do have a preset set up in lightroom that I use on import. I just messed about the jpeg settings out of curiosity, wondering if I could get close to RAW.

"camera natural" is my preferred profile for JPG and I use it on import into Lightroom as a starting point.

Olympus Viewer 3 is quite slow and clunky but gives you full editing on your ORF files and it's free.

If you're going to go JPEG then I'd check that Superfine is enabled.
Robin Wong's guide might be a bit long in the tooth now for the latest OM-D but worth a quick look.
https://robinwong.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/the-robin-wongs-om-d-camera-cheat-sheet.html

Have been debating for a while whether to get a longer lens for wildlife (75mm is my current max focal length). It would mostly be used in the garden, so weight is probably not as much of an issue, but I would like something I could take on holiday. I still have my Canon 70-200 f4 which I've debated getting a metabones adapter for, there's the Panasonic 100-300 or 100-400. I decided I'd give the 40-150 (kit) lens a try - I'm away at the moment for work, and it's $89 new here in the US (plus a ibt of sales tax).

I don't have a laptop I can use to edit anything, so here are some transferred from camera to phone and up. Anyway here goes.

OI000068 by alligator1975, on Flickr

OI000071 by alligator1975, on Flickr

This lens is so light I'm surprised it doesn't float in the air!

Have been debating for a while whether to get a longer lens for wildlife (75mm is my current max focal length). It would mostly be used in the garden, so weight is probably not as much of an issue, but I would like something I could take on holiday. I still have my Canon 70-200 f4 which I've debated getting a metabones adapter for, there's the Panasonic 100-300 or 100-400. I decided I'd give the 40-150 (kit) lens a try - I'm away at the moment for work, and it's $89 new here in the US (plus a ibt of sales tax).

I have the same lens from my E-PL5 kit. It doesn't have the reach of the two Panasonic lenses you are looking at but it's very capable for what it is. I'm not much of a nature photographer so the reach is adequate for my needs.

The lightweight is a real advantage as it means it goes in the bag along with the other primes and shorter zoom, a heavier lens would probably be left at home unless I had a specific reason for it - nature or motorsport.
It looks a bit silly fully extended on the E-M10 though :)

This is a recent one from the 40-150

I'm ready for my closeup...
by Andy McNair, on Flickr

I don't have a laptop I can use to edit anything, so here are some transferred from camera to phone and up. Anyway here goes.

A few from my 40-150 kit lens, its a very nice lens

PA300014 by electric.mike, on Flickr

PA300044 by electric.mike, on Flickr

PB060036 by electric.mike, on Flickr

PA250013 by electric.mike, on Flickr

Really nice Alby!

So I had my 2nd go with the Oly 40-150 f4-5.6, on my way back from work today. There were quite a few gulls flying around for food beign dropped and just generally circling, so I thought I'd have a go at getting some flying, Despite many many misses, I was quite pleased. Straight OOC til I get home and have a laptop to edit on. I have for the birds in flight, the best combination was Single AF, I used the large multiple squares for AF points (probably my technique but single squares (big or small) were not working for me) and I used burst mode. These were all pretty close and relatively easy to plot their direction \ flight path compared to most birds.

OI000080 by alligator1975, on Flickr

OI000078 by alligator1975, on Flickr

OI000074 by alligator1975, on Flickr

OI000083 by alligator1975, on Flickr

Quite a few round 'moons' in this one - not sure why.
OI000085 by alligator1975, on Flickr

OI000075 by alligator1975, on Flickr

Couple more. I know none of these will win Wildlife photographer of the year, but for a lens that weighs literally nothing, costs comparatively nothing and has this range I'm quite impressed. No doubt it will be no contest against the pro-lenses \ 300f4 etc, especially paired with an EM1II, however I'll get getting those in about 5 years (if ever) hopefully once we are on EM1mkV!

OIP00008 by alligator1975, on Flickr

OI000086 by alligator1975, on Flickr

Really nice Alby!

So I had my 2nd go with the Oly 40-150 f4-5.6, on my way back from work today. There were quite a few gulls flying around for food beign dropped and just generally circling, so I thought I'd have a go at getting some flying, Despite many many misses, I was quite pleased. Straight OOC til I get home and have a laptop to edit on. I have for the birds in flight, the best combination was Single AF, I used the large multiple squares for AF points (probably my technique but single squares (big or small) were not working for me) and I used burst mode. These were all pretty close and relatively easy to plot their direction \ flight path compared to most birds.

OI000080 by alligator1975, on Flickr

OI000078 by alligator1975, on Flickr

OI000074 by alligator1975, on Flickr

OI000083 by alligator1975, on Flickr

Quite a few round 'moons' in this one - not sure why.
OI000085 by alligator1975, on Flickr

OI000075 by alligator1975, on Flickr

Great shots. And yeah, it's a fine lens in good light when you can get that little bit closer. I sold mine though, and got a Pany 100-300, more for the extra reach than quality.

Couple more. I know none of these will win Wildlife photographer of the year, but for a lens that weighs literally nothing, costs comparatively nothing and has this range I'm quite impressed. No doubt it will be no contest against the pro-lenses \ 300f4 etc, especially paired with an EM1II, however I'll get getting those in about 5 years (if ever) hopefully once we are on EM1mkV!

OIP00008 by alligator1975, on Flickr

OI000086 by alligator1975, on Flickr
Do you live in New York or just on holiday?

Do you live in New York or just on holiday?

Work - I come over 3 times a year roughly, generally stay in Newport\Jersey City across the Hudson from NY. Views are really nice and I prefer it to staying in NY (and it's cheaper!), but still easy to get into Manhattan if I need to. Was over in Jan and I think I nearly lost my hands to the cold - it's still cold here but much nicer!

Work - I come over 3 times a year roughly, generally stay in Newport\Jersey City across the Hudson from NY. Views are really nice and I prefer it to staying in NY (and it's cheaper!), but still easy to get into Manhattan if I need to. Was over in Jan and I think I nearly lost my hands to the cold - it's still cold here but much nicer!
Cool, I went in December and loved it. I'd love to be able to go more often and dedicate time to 'proper' photography rather than 'holiday snaps'.

I was there in Dec 2012, 5 days of thick fog :( Still a great early Christmas vibe and I enjoyed it. I wish I'd spent more time taking pics too, was mostly dragged through stores for shopping.

I was there in Dec 2012, 5 days of thick fog :( Still a great early Christmas vibe and I enjoyed it. I wish I'd spent more time taking pics too, was mostly dragged through stores for shopping.
I was the ultimate tourist, did just about everything ;)

So I discovered something today after ruining a load of shots whilst on holiday that I can’t go back and reshoot, Olympus cameras have IBIS turned off by default for continuous shooting even if you have it turned on for normal shooting.. What the fudge :eek: Sometimes manufacturers baffle me.

Anyway, I thought I’d share it in case anyone else didn’t know this. It can be activated in the menu.

So I discovered something today after ruining a load of shots whilst on holiday that I can’t go back and reshoot, Olympus cameras have IBIS turned off by default for continuous shooting even if you have it turned on for normal shooting.. What the fudge :eek: Sometimes manufacturers baffle me.

Anyway, I thought I’d share it in case anyone else didn’t know this. It can be activated in the menu.
Which camera do you have? As that is not the case with my EM5ii.

I think he has the Em1

When I got the em5 at first, the IBIS effect was switched off, "Halway rls with shutter" wasn't exactly clear instruction. This happens to be the option right under the continuous + IBIS. As a complete noob to Olympus I found some of their menu options baffling

Which camera do you have? As that is not the case with my EM5ii.
EM1 as Cagey said, guess they got their brains sorted out for later models.

I think he has the Em1

When I got the em5 at first, the IBIS effect was switched off, "Halway rls with shutter" wasn't exactly clear instruction. This happens to be the option right under the continuous + IBIS. As a complete noob to Olympus I found some of their menu options baffling
TBH I can’t remember if IBIS was on by default or not, but either way you wouldn’t have thought to specify each drive mode. What makes it doubly confusing is you can select individual IBIS settings for stills and video, you’d think if they put these options there they’d make it more obvious you have to select it for continuous drive too :facepalm:

What are panasonic like for repairs. Thier website is a shambles IMO.

I need a repair to my 8-18 mm lens as my tripod fell over in some terrible weather at Wasdale

H-E08018 1 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

I can ask at the show tomorrow if you want?
That would be good as their repair sevice DK say this

I am sorry but there is no route at present to repair this lens

We can provide an exchange price of approximately £550 + vat + carriage. If you wish to proceed with this please log on line at www.dkavs.co.uk and send the lens in to us.

We will provide a more accurate estimate and when paid the replacement lens will be ordered and sent to you after arrival here.

This lens cost me £850 (£950 paid £100 cashback) and will be about £700 to sort.

Last edited:
I know nothing about lens repairs, but that looks fixable. The board isn't cracked or damaged, looks like the orange ribbon on left just needs reattaching. I sold a sigma 150mm OS.macro lens for about 1/3rd of its value because the OS had become unstable. The guy who bought it fixed it himself, was a dismantle and simple solder job, fair play, he got a right bargain, I would never have attempted it . Point is, there's people about that can DIY repair lenses, just a matter of finding one.

Project 365 - 077/365: Abstract Bark

On a scouting walk in the local woods and came across this nice abstract of a fallen trunk. I just like the way that the overcast light, the snow on top and the bark all combine to give it such texture. Monochrome treatment only enhances this I feel.

077 - Abstract Bark by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

That would be good as their repair sevice DK say this

I am sorry but there is no route at present to repair this lens

We can provide an exchange price of approximately £550 + vat + carriage. If you wish to proceed with this please log on line at www.dkavs.co.uk and send the lens in to us.

We will provide a more accurate estimate and when paid the replacement lens will be ordered and sent to you after arrival here.

This lens cost me £850 (£950 paid £100 cashback) and will be about £700 to sort.

I would also check with an independent repairer such as Miles Whitehead or Alan Marlow.

Miles fixed a Canon EF 50 f/1.4 for me and serviced a few of my film cameras. If the official repairer can't fix it I would always check with him; he is reasonably priced as well.

I would also check with an independent repairer such as Miles Whitehead or Alan Marlow.

Miles fixed a Canon EF 50 f/1.4 for me and serviced a few of my film cameras. If the official repairer can't fix it I would always check with him; he is reasonably priced as well.

Emailed a couple of companies and Luton cameras said the lens body may be damaged and it would need calibrated by DKavs so options are limited as far as I can see

Emailed a couple of companies and Luton cameras said the lens body may be damaged and it would need calibrated by DKavs so options are limited as far as I can see
Hope you don’t mind me suggesting this but could you claim on your home contents insurance as it was accidental damage? I once dropped a lens into a river and claimed on mine successfully as I had damage outside of the home cover and it was a claim under £1000.

Hope you don’t mind me suggesting this but could you claim on your home contents insurance as it was accidental damage? I once dropped a lens into a river and claimed on mine successfully as I had damage outside of the home cover and it was a claim under £1000.

That was suggested somewhere else I am going to ring then tomorrow the worst they can say is no.

That was suggested somewhere else I am going to ring then tomorrow the worst they can say is no.
If you’ve got a decent policy which covers personal possessions and all risks you should be ok. Good luck anyway and I hope you get a positive response.

I've claimed on a home contents insurance for named items. Where I've listed the serial numbers beforehand. I dropped bag containing an expensive lens, and, separately, slipped on wet grass with a camera in my hand. Which hit a rock. The items were replaced with new ones.

Back